planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:19 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6952
Location: Mumbai, India
Image
Source - https://i.imgur.com/sPTsN10.jpg

Image
Source - http://www.imgur.com

Press Conference:
Romain Grosjean (Haas), Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes), Charles Leclerc (Sauber), Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari)

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Last edited by UnlikeUday on Tue May 22, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6952
Location: Mumbai, India
Though it's hard to overtake here, it's still adrenaline pumping to watch cars at great speeds going so close to the walls. No room for error. I also see Red Bull & Ferrari at par with Mercedes, if not better.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7542
I'm already excited for Saturday. Monaco qualifying is one of the best F1 days of the year IMO.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:41 am
Posts: 753
Location: Toronto, Canada
Definitely one of the more boring races but the panoramic views makes up for it. Great scenery in Monaco! Would be nice to see some on track action whether it’s from the top teams or the midfield.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7404
Location: Belgium
Supersoft, Ultrasoft and Hypersoft. That's what you get when you abuse superlatives.

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7542
Fiki wrote:
Supersoft, Ultrasoft and Hypersoft. That's what you get when you abuse superlatives.

Ultralatives and hyperlatives?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7404
Location: Belgium
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Supersoft, Ultrasoft and Hypersoft. That's what you get when you abuse superlatives.

Ultralatives and hyperlatives?
:D Almost: Ultra- and Hyperlaxatives!

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
Posts: 1047
Fiki wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Supersoft, Ultrasoft and Hypersoft. That's what you get when you abuse superlatives.

Ultralatives and hyperlatives?
:D Almost: Ultra- and Hyperlaxatives!


They both sound fast :lol:

_________________
PF1 pick 10 2016: 7th (1 win, 4 podiums), 2017: 17th (3 podiums)
Awards: Sergio perez trophy & Podium specialist
PF1 pick 3 2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th
Autosport Gp 2016/17 - 5th
F1 Oracle 2017: 2nd (6 wins), 2016:5th (2wins)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:28 pm
Posts: 771
I wonder what the difference in lap time will be between the hypersoft and ultrasoft.

Will anybody chance a Q2 lap on ultras?

_________________
Should I grow a beard?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9392
Fiki wrote:
Supersoft, Ultrasoft and Hypersoft. That's what you get when you abuse superlatives.

Apparently next year there will only be hard, medium and soft tyres, but they compounds will change like they have thus far.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 3092
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyp ... e-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6952
Location: Mumbai, India
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyper-soft-wont-make-monaco-a-two-stop-race-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:


But don't worry, there'a high probability of atleast 1 safety car outing which will ensure more pit stops.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14263
UnlikeUday wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyper-soft-wont-make-monaco-a-two-stop-race-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:


But don't worry, there'a high probability of atleast 1 safety car outing which will ensure more pit stops.


Not a Monaco. You can't risk losing track position. It's a 1 stopper. Always has been even in the refuelling days.

The good news is that drivers should at least be able to push flat out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 3092
UnlikeUday wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyper-soft-wont-make-monaco-a-two-stop-race-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:


But don't worry, there'a high probability of atleast 1 safety car outing which will ensure more pit stops.


Not when you can't overtake. Hamilton 2016 comes to mind.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2953
Location: UK
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyper-soft-wont-make-monaco-a-two-stop-race-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:

I'm not sure what else they're supposed to do. Monaco is such an unusual circuit that any tyre designed to degrade during the race would be unusable anywhere else.

How about nice work Formula 1? It's not Pirelli's fault that F1 holds a race at such a ridiculous venue.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14263
j man wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyper-soft-wont-make-monaco-a-two-stop-race-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:

I'm not sure what else they're supposed to do. Monaco is such an unusual circuit that any tyre designed to degrade during the race would be unusable anywhere else.

How about nice work Formula 1? It's not Pirelli's fault that F1 holds a race at such a ridiculous venue.


Or how about nice work Formula 1 isn't it great that we get such a variety of circuits and situations. :thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 3092
mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyper-soft-wont-make-monaco-a-two-stop-race-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:

I'm not sure what else they're supposed to do. Monaco is such an unusual circuit that any tyre designed to degrade during the race would be unusable anywhere else.

How about nice work Formula 1? It's not Pirelli's fault that F1 holds a race at such a ridiculous venue.


Or how about nice work Formula 1 isn't it great that we get such a variety of circuits and situations. :thumbup:


Don't think many will be saying that after 5 laps on Sunday :thumbdown:

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 3092
j man wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyper-soft-wont-make-monaco-a-two-stop-race-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:

I'm not sure what else they're supposed to do. Monaco is such an unusual circuit that any tyre designed to degrade during the race would be unusable anywhere else.

How about nice work Formula 1? It's not Pirelli's fault that F1 holds a race at such a ridiculous venue.


It's Pirelli's fault they make awful tyres and every race seems to be a 1 stopper unless a SC comes out. They even seem to be able make tyres so that the faster tyre is the harder compound. You can't keep making tyres that can last all race specially when their aim has been for 2 stop races but we are lucky to see one in normal race scenarios.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 3477
F1_Ernie wrote:
j man wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyper-soft-wont-make-monaco-a-two-stop-race-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:

I'm not sure what else they're supposed to do. Monaco is such an unusual circuit that any tyre designed to degrade during the race would be unusable anywhere else.

How about nice work Formula 1? It's not Pirelli's fault that F1 holds a race at such a ridiculous venue.


It's Pirelli's fault they make awful tyres and every race seems to be a 1 stopper unless a SC comes out. They even seem to be able make tyres so that the faster tyre is the harder compound. You can't keep making tyres that can last all race specially when their aim has been for 2 stop races but we are lucky to see one in normal race scenarios.


I think finding the right balance might not be as easy as we think, especially with the limited testing. Few years ago we were complaining about cheese tires but now we are complaining about tires lasting too long. I don't know, me personally I just want to see the drivers push as much as possible. So I'm pretty happy with the current tires. Whether that means a one stopper or two stopper, it doesn't really bother me. I do think that overall they should bring the softer compounds to more races.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14263
F1_Ernie wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyper-soft-wont-make-monaco-a-two-stop-race-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:

I'm not sure what else they're supposed to do. Monaco is such an unusual circuit that any tyre designed to degrade during the race would be unusable anywhere else.

How about nice work Formula 1? It's not Pirelli's fault that F1 holds a race at such a ridiculous venue.


Or how about nice work Formula 1 isn't it great that we get such a variety of circuits and situations. :thumbup:


Don't think many will be saying that after 5 laps on Sunday :thumbdown:


If we get to watch F1 cars going flat out lap after lap they'd have to be philistines not to be impressed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 3092
kleefton wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
j man wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyper-soft-wont-make-monaco-a-two-stop-race-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:

I'm not sure what else they're supposed to do. Monaco is such an unusual circuit that any tyre designed to degrade during the race would be unusable anywhere else.

How about nice work Formula 1? It's not Pirelli's fault that F1 holds a race at such a ridiculous venue.


It's Pirelli's fault they make awful tyres and every race seems to be a 1 stopper unless a SC comes out. They even seem to be able make tyres so that the faster tyre is the harder compound. You can't keep making tyres that can last all race specially when their aim has been for 2 stop races but we are lucky to see one in normal race scenarios.


I think finding the right balance might not be as easy as we think, especially with the limited testing. Few years ago we were complaining about cheese tires but now we are complaining about tires lasting too long. I don't know, me personally I just want to see the drivers push as much as possible. So I'm pretty happy with the current tires. Whether that means a one stopper or two stopper, it doesn't really bother me. I do think that overall they should bring the softer compounds to more races.


I don't want to watch races for the romance like Monaco or i dont get excited as others do watching 90 mins cars driving and nothing happening unless a SC comes out. How often do the top drivers make mistakes, not very often and driving to the max doesn't make the top cars race each other more.

I honestly think F1 is rather stale at the moment, the cars, circuits and tyres are all not allowing for racing. Halo's look awful.The reason I would like softer tyres leading to more pitstops because it would then allow for more racing, alternative strategies and drivers who can make 1 stops get rewarded. It's the easiest, cheapest and simpliest way to currently add racing to F1 without having to change certain circuits like Aus, Spain etc and we don't know whether next year will work with the new regs.

That's my rant for now, I'll still have it on in the background.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14263
F1_Ernie wrote:
j man wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyper-soft-wont-make-monaco-a-two-stop-race-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:

I'm not sure what else they're supposed to do. Monaco is such an unusual circuit that any tyre designed to degrade during the race would be unusable anywhere else.

How about nice work Formula 1? It's not Pirelli's fault that F1 holds a race at such a ridiculous venue.


It's Pirelli's fault they make awful tyres and every race seems to be a 1 stopper unless a SC comes out. They even seem to be able make tyres so that the faster tyre is the harder compound. You can't keep making tyres that can last all race specially when their aim has been for 2 stop races but we are lucky to see one in normal race scenarios.


Generally over the first 5 races two stopper has been the quicker strategy. For some reason the top teams seem fixated on trying to eek out a one stop.

Pirelli's problem is that the teams try to get away with fewer number of stops than optimum. If they bring softer tyres we wouldn't see any actual F1 racing just tyre management with everyone driving to a delta 4 seconds off the pace like in 2011 and 2012.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 3092
mikeyg123 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyper-soft-wont-make-monaco-a-two-stop-race-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:

I'm not sure what else they're supposed to do. Monaco is such an unusual circuit that any tyre designed to degrade during the race would be unusable anywhere else.

How about nice work Formula 1? It's not Pirelli's fault that F1 holds a race at such a ridiculous venue.


Or how about nice work Formula 1 isn't it great that we get such a variety of circuits and situations. :thumbup:


Don't think many will be saying that after 5 laps on Sunday :thumbdown:


If we get to watch F1 cars going flat out lap after lap they'd have to be philistines not to be impressed.


Yeah Saturday is fun as pole position is key and it's what the drivers need and want. Sunday is done and dusted as a race and people want to be able to see a fight for positions.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14263
F1_Ernie wrote:

Yeah Saturday is fun as pole position is key and it's what the drivers need and want. Sunday is done and dusted as a race and people want to be able to see a fight for positions.


Done and dusted? The pole sitter hasn't won Monaco since 2014.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2953
Location: UK
mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyper-soft-wont-make-monaco-a-two-stop-race-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:

I'm not sure what else they're supposed to do. Monaco is such an unusual circuit that any tyre designed to degrade during the race would be unusable anywhere else.

How about nice work Formula 1? It's not Pirelli's fault that F1 holds a race at such a ridiculous venue.


Or how about nice work Formula 1 isn't it great that we get such a variety of circuits and situations. :thumbup:

Whilst I agree that a variety of circuits is far better than a season of 20 Suzukas, I think Monaco is several steps too far as 'uniqueness' goes and is clearly unsuitable for racing F1 cars on. Both as a glamour event and as a challenging urban track layout I believe Singapore surpasses it.

This debate comes up every year. Is the Monaco GP a welcome break from all the flashy, modern venues we see today, serving as a nostalgic reminder of F1's past? Or is it an anachronism, something that was a great idea in the 1950s but which F1 cars have long since outgrown and as a result is now unable to provide a genuine sporting contest? In recent years my opinion has shifted more and more towards the latter.

I will say though that Monaco qualifying is definitely one of the highlights of the year. A shame that race day is always somewhat of a farce.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 3092
mikeyg123 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

Yeah Saturday is fun as pole position is key and it's what the drivers need and want. Sunday is done and dusted as a race and people want to be able to see a fight for positions.


Done and dusted? The pole sitter hasn't won Monaco since 2014.


2 of those years [it took huge mistakes] in the pits to change positions. Granted last year position changed but it was never happening on track, at least some tracks you can have a slight dream something will happen, at Monaco it's done on Saturday.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Last edited by Mod Titanium on Tue May 22, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Language edit


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14263
F1_Ernie wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

Yeah Saturday is fun as pole position is key and it's what the drivers need and want. Sunday is done and dusted as a race and people want to be able to see a fight for positions.


Done and dusted? The pole sitter hasn't won Monaco since 2014.


2 of those years [it took huge mistakes] in the pits to change positions. Granted last year position changed but it was never happening on track, at least some tracks you can have a slight dream something will happen, at Monaco it's done on Saturday.


If the pole sitter is beaten its almost always because he got a bad start or lost out on strategy. That's true at every track.


Last edited by Mod Titanium on Tue May 22, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Language edit


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 3092
mikeyg123 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

Yeah Saturday is fun as pole position is key and it's what the drivers need and want. Sunday is done and dusted as a race and people want to be able to see a fight for positions.


Done and dusted? The pole sitter hasn't won Monaco since 2014.


2 of those years [it took huge mistakes] in the pits to change positions. Granted last year position changed but it was never happening on track, at least some tracks you can have a slight dream something will happen, at Monaco it's done on Saturday.


If the pole sitter is beaten its almost always because he got a bad start or lost out on strategy. That's true at every track.


Yeah and Monaco is worst of the lot. Strategy needs to be brought into races more but won't be with 1 stop races.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Last edited by Mod Titanium on Tue May 22, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Language edit


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14263
F1_Ernie wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

Yeah Saturday is fun as pole position is key and it's what the drivers need and want. Sunday is done and dusted as a race and people want to be able to see a fight for positions.


Done and dusted? The pole sitter hasn't won Monaco since 2014.


2 of those years [ it took huge mistakes] in the pits to change positions. Granted last year position changed but it was never happening on track, at least some tracks you can have a slight dream something will happen, at Monaco it's done on Saturday.


If the pole sitter is beaten its almost always because he got a bad start or lost out on strategy. That's true at every track.


Yeah and Monaco is worst of the lot. Strategy needs to be brought into races more but won't be with 1 stop races.


All track's are different. You need variety. Monaco is good for different reasons to Suzuka which is good for different reasons to Bahrain etc.


Last edited by Mod Titanium on Tue May 22, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Language edit


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 12:49 am
Posts: 315
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyper-soft-wont-make-monaco-a-two-stop-race-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:

Yes, they need an even softer tyre... but they cant because they have run out of names


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7542
iano wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/22/hyper-soft-wont-make-monaco-a-two-stop-race-pirelli/

But Pirelli’s sporting director Mario Isola said the new hyper soft will be able to do “77 laps, no stop, straight to the end” in Monaco, meaning teams will only have to pit once.

Nice work Pirelli :thumbdown:

Yes, they need an even softer tyre... but they cant because they have run out of names

Introducing the 2021 Pirelli tyre range:
Extrasoft
Hypersoft
Ultrasoft
Supersoft
Soft
Medium-rare
Medium
Medium-well
Hard
Superhard
Ultrahard
Hyperhard
Extrahard
Bruce Lee


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6208
Location: Michigan, USA
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Introducing the 2021 Pirelli tyre range:
Extrasoft
Hypersoft
Ultrasoft
Supersoft
Soft
Medium-rare
Medium
Medium-well
Hard
Superhard
Ultrahard
Hyperhard
Extrahard
Bruce Lee

M-M-MEGASOFT!

ULTRASOFT!

MONSTER SOFT!

WICKED SOFT!

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:07 pm
Posts: 65
Exediron wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Introducing the 2021 Pirelli tyre range:
Extrasoft
Hypersoft
Ultrasoft
Supersoft
Soft
Medium-rare
Medium
Medium-well
Hard
Superhard
Ultrahard
Hyperhard
Extrahard
Bruce Lee

M-M-MEGASOFT!

ULTRASOFT!

MONSTER SOFT!

WICKED SOFT!


Ridiculouslysoft


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:00 pm
Posts: 4798
Plaidsoft!

_________________
{Insert clever sig line here}


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:37 pm
Posts: 206
Exediron wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Introducing the 2021 Pirelli tyre range:
Extrasoft
Hypersoft
Ultrasoft
Supersoft
Soft
Medium-rare
Medium
Medium-well
Hard
Superhard
Ultrahard
Hyperhard
Extrahard
Bruce Lee

M-M-MEGASOFT!

ULTRASOFT!

MONSTER SOFT!

WICKED SOFT!


Microsoft

Google

Apple

Might help Pirelli and Liberty Media relate with the millennials, get them interested in the sport :-P


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6952
Location: Mumbai, India
Some Statistics:

- The last six races have seen the safety car deployed.

- The driver on pole has won 10 of the last 17 races in Monaco. In 1996, Frenchman Olivier Panis won from 14th on the starting grid — the lowest winning start position to date.

- Since 1950, only 10 times has the race been won by a driver starting lower than third.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 1941
Those are soft tyres but you're forgetting jellysoft.


Last edited by Mod Titanium on Wed May 23, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Content edit


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6952
Location: Mumbai, India
Just like how Johnny Blaze says "Flame on' to ignite, could Pirelli develop a harder compound but with instant grip. It could be called '[grip] on'!

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Last edited by Mod Titanium on Wed May 23, 2018 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Content edit


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:04 am
Posts: 306
ahhhmmmmm, whilst the names have been amusing we are starting to get into inappropriate territory. Lets get back on topic


_________________
- Mod Team


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am
Posts: 747
F1_Ernie wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

Yeah Saturday is fun as pole position is key and it's what the drivers need and want. Sunday is done and dusted as a race and people want to be able to see a fight for positions.


Done and dusted? The pole sitter hasn't won Monaco since 2014.


2 of those years [it took huge mistakes] in the pits to change positions. Granted last year position changed but it was never happening on track, at least some tracks you can have a slight dream something will happen, at Monaco it's done on Saturday.


Hamilton was already in the lead in 2016, it was his slow out lap (Mercedes tyre warm up) and running wide they gave Ricciardo the opportunity to get it back. It wasn’t just the pit stop in 2016 though, Mercedes amazing strategy got them the lead. The only time a car has pitted from full wet to slick.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group