planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:47 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:40 am 

I may be the only person not to know this, but what is the reason for team dudes recording what the drivers say in the pen after the race or after they retired?

• Is it just for the record with no particular reason other than that?
• Or maybe it's to have a record of anything the journos say that they need to have on record?
• Or... do they want to have a record of what their driver says in case he rubbishes a sponsor, the FIA, Liberty or anyone else?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:53 am 

Huw wrote:
I may be the only person not to know this, but what is the reason for team dudes recording what the drivers say in the pen after the race or after they retired?

• Or maybe it's to have a record of anything the journos say that they need to have on record?
• Or... do they want to have a record of what their driver says in case he rubbishes a sponsor, the FIA, Liberty or anyone else?

Both the bottom two. Essentially it's so they can prove what was actually said if they need to.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:30 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Huw wrote:

Both the bottom two. Essentially it's so they can prove what was actually said if they need to.

I'd imagine it is also so they can use direct quotes on their websites, press releases, etc.

It also wouldn't shock me if those in charge of the PR departments actually use those recordings to sit down with the drivers and go through their responses, highlight ways they could put a better spin on something, coach them to ensure they're on-point with the team/sponsor's brands and so on. We saw a glimpse of it in that McLaren/Amazon Prime documentary.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:11 pm 

There's a little segment on Damon hills championship year video where they speak too the Williams pr person. Is it something like penny Bradshaw. She recorded Damon's interview from Tony Jardine from the BBC over his pole position at Silverstone I believe. She played the interview back for the press release Williams would of given out later on that day.
I believe it would of be something along those lines.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:31 pm 

Anne Bradshaw. PR at Williams since 1985. That's 37 years!