Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:45 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Clarky wrote:
From Planet F1:

Quote:
The stewards have decided to take no further action after reviewing an incident where Max Verstappen reversed back onto the Monaco track.

The Dutchman suffered a heavy lock-up going into Ste Devote and used the run-off area to avoid going into the barriers during FP1.

But, Verstappen was placed under investigation after he reversed onto the middle of the track and forced Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel to use the pit lane exit in order to avoid him.

Verstappen was investigated for potentially rejoining the track in an unsafe manner, but the stewards have opted not to take the matter further.

The stewards ultimately decided Verstappen was safe to rejoin the track in such a manner as that section of the circuit was “under yellow flags” and his reverse was done “in a manner that posed no danger to the other drivers”.

They have opened up a can of worms here. To allow that to happen is a joke.

It was a single waved yellow not a double yet Vettel had to leave the racing line into the pit exit.

Yes it’s odd. It shouldn’t be left to the driver to judge whether or not it’s safe and there should be just a blanket no when doing something like this. I don’t get why the stewards appear to be so reluctant to do anything whenever Verstappen is involved

A reprimand seems to be appropriate here. Certainly I wouldn't have wanted to see anything like a grid penalty but to just take no action at all is dubious. Max's growth will be stunted by all of this special treatment.

I don't get why they protect him so much. Others have done much less dangerous things and been given a reprimand.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:50 pm 

Did you see Max just make contact with the Haas there? What is the matter with this kid? This year he has been really reckless. It's just bizarre at this point.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:51 pm 

Herb wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Clarky wrote:
From Planet F1:

Quote:
The stewards have decided to take no further action after reviewing an incident where Max Verstappen reversed back onto the Monaco track.

The Dutchman suffered a heavy lock-up going into Ste Devote and used the run-off area to avoid going into the barriers during FP1.

But, Verstappen was placed under investigation after he reversed onto the middle of the track and forced Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel to use the pit lane exit in order to avoid him.

Verstappen was investigated for potentially rejoining the track in an unsafe manner, but the stewards have opted not to take the matter further.

The stewards ultimately decided Verstappen was safe to rejoin the track in such a manner as that section of the circuit was “under yellow flags” and his reverse was done “in a manner that posed no danger to the other drivers”.

It was a single waved yellow not a double yet Vettel had to leave the racing line into the pit exit.

Yes it’s odd. It shouldn’t be left to the driver to judge whether or not it’s safe and there should be just a blanket no when doing something like this. I don’t get why the stewards appear to be so reluctant to do anything whenever Verstappen is involved

A reprimand seems to be appropriate here. Certainly I wouldn't have wanted to see anything like a grid penalty but to just take no action at all is dubious. Max's growth will be stunted by all of this special treatment.

I don't get why they protect him so much. Others have done much less dangerous things and been given a reprimand.

Now he's just touched Grosjean's car after letting him through and then for some reason speeding back up again and he's blaming Grosjean for it, is he for real?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:55 pm 

Ok, this is getting increasingly weird.

For once, not Grosjean's fault!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:59 pm 

Clarky wrote:
From Planet F1:

Quote:

The reasoning is as fishy as they gave for not penalising him in Baku.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:11 pm 

Red Bull will have the best race pace here. The question is, do they have the ability to squeeze out a single lap to match the Ferraris and Mercs once the engines are dialed up? Track position is kind here and the race may be won on Saturday.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:19 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Red Bull will have the best race pace here. The question is, do they have the ability to squeeze out a single lap to match the Ferraris and Mercs once the engines are dialed up? Track position is kind here and the race may be won on Saturday.

I think they do. Verstappen instantly started lapping quick. There's a good chance for a double podium for Red Bull. Ferrari seem second best, considering they've probably turned down their engines they're still quick enough to edge out Mercedes.

The entire field is so bunched up from 7th place onwards that 1 small mistake in qualy is going to be punishing. Q1 is going to be all about finding the right spot on the track to put in a clean lap. Traffic issues in Q1 are the worst in Monte Carlo.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:20 pm 

Redbull has such a grippy car. I dont think qualifying modes are going to hamper them here. They should lock out the front row. I think Lewis is third fastest here though. He hasnt been able to show his pace this session because he never hooked up s3. But it looks to me like hes faster than both Ferraris and Bottas at least.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:43 pm 

FP2 done:

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:53 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I think they do. Verstappen instantly started lapping quick. There's a good chance for a double podium for Red Bull. Ferrari seem second best, considering they've probably turned down their engines they're still quick enough to edge out Mercedes.

The entire field is so bunched up from 7th place onwards that 1 small mistake in qualy is going to be punishing. Q1 is going to be all about finding the right spot on the track to put in a clean lap. Traffic issues in Q1 are the worst in Monte Carlo.

I agree it should be a Red Bull win on Sunday and really a 1-2.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 2:59 pm 

Max always appears to be more ragid whenever Dan edges him out on speed.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:52 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
FP2 done:

Source - http://www.imgur.com

I'm in love with this graphic!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:14 pm 

any video of the Grosjean incident?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:20 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIc5pHweHqM

I can only find this audio!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:24 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
any video of the Grosjean incident?

It's in the link below. IMO, they don't touch as don't see any part coming off either car.

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2018/5/FP2__Traffic_squeezes_past_a_slow_Verstappen__.html

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:27 pm 

Thank you, I think they did touch, you can see Max's wing moving.

Then swearing at him as well, precious!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:56 pm 

The Red Bulls look quick. Hopefully Ricciardo or Hamilton will take the win this weekend, and hopefully neither of them, or anyone for that matter will get Maxed out.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:32 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
Max always appears to be more ragid whenever Dan edges him out on speed.

That seems a good point to me, however, I can't help thinking Ricciardo is poking him with a stick a bit....when all the other teams were doing their long runs DR banged in a quick one to knock MV off top spot. Proving a point?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:40 pm 

Carlos Sainz believes that running a 1 pit stop strategy will be tough due to the higher degragation of the tyres than was anticipated.
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/24/one-stop-strategy-will-be-a-lot-tougher-than-expected-sainz/

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:14 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Carlos Sainz believes that running a 1 pit stop strategy will be tough due to the higher degragation of the tyres than was anticipated.
https://www.racefans.net/2018/05/24/one-stop-strategy-will-be-a-lot-tougher-than-expected-sainz/

That's really bad news for the race. That just means everyone crawling round for 78 laps desperately looking after tyres. We had races like that in 2012-2014 and they were dull. At Monaco you need low deg so everyone can push flat out and create drama by making mistakes.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:27 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Clarky wrote:
From Planet F1:

I agree, I wouldn't want to lose or compromise Max's race as this is only FP. However this is not a simple thing to brush under the carpet, you simply cannot reverse onto an oncoming car in the racing line. The fact that another car took avoiding action is proof enough. I would be calling him into the room and point it out.

Should have been a penalty.. Would have been a penalty if it was not Verstappen...

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:34 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

That's really bad news for the race. That just means everyone crawling round for 78 laps desperately looking after tyres. We had races like that in 2012-2014 and they were dull. At Monaco you need low deg so everyone can push flat out and create drama by making mistakes.

It's likely to be a SC or VSC determined race. Timing the pit stop to gain track position will be the way to win for anyone not on pole.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:19 pm 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pire ... 9-1041303/

I forget which thread this idea was brought up but reading this news story I was immediately reminded that someone in this forum proposed exactly this idea. I think it makes perfect sense.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:34 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pirelli-asked-to-simplify-f1-compound-names-for-2019-1041303/

I forget which thread this idea was brought up but reading this news story I was immediately reminded that someone in this forum proposed exactly this idea. I think it makes perfect sense.

Yeah I've seen this already being said, personally I don't find it that complicated, I might find it harder knowing exactly which tyres they are exactly on and having to make cross reference, part of the dumbing down I guess?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:58 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

That goes completely against what Pirelli was forecasting. Didn't Pirelli state that the hypersoft tires would do 77 laps no problem? How can you not know your own tires? I usually defend Pirelli, but come on.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:58 pm 

kleefton wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

That goes completely against what Pirelli was forecasting. Didn't Pirelli state that the hypersoft tires would do 77 laps no problem? How can you not know your own tires? I usually defend Pirelli, but come on.

I reckon they'll be fine once the track rubbers in a bit more. Should significantly reduce any blistering

- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:00 pm 

I wonder if RBR are far enough ahead at this stage..? Merc and Ferrari clearly will have more in hand for Saturday. Should make it very close

- 2013 Rookie of the Year
- 2014 Championship 6th position
- 2016 Championship 9th position

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:19 pm 

Ferrari's long runs looked very good. Seems to me that they are holding back their one lap pace.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:02 am 

I got bored watching practice sessions. Traffic is a problem here as well. It can be so frustrating if a faster car is stuck behind slower car here. Qualifying should be great though. Saturday all teams are going to big improvement. But not sure what is going with the Haas though.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:09 am 

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pirelli-asked-to-simplify-f1-compound-names-for-2019-1041303/

Yeah I've seen this already being said, personally I don't find it that complicated, I might find it harder knowing exactly which tyres they are exactly on and having to make cross reference, part of the dumbing down I guess?

I don't agree that it's dumbing down. Just doing away with the unnecessary silliness that is the current 'rainbow' spectrum of tyres.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:39 am 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I don't agree that it's dumbing down. Just doing away with the unnecessary silliness that is the current 'rainbow' spectrum of tyres.

Haas are good in fast & medium speed corners but struggle in slow corners.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:58 am 

Cumulative lap times:

Valtteri Bottas:

Lewis Hamilton:

Kimi Raikkonen:

Max Verstappen:

Daniel Ricciardo & Sebastian Vettel

Fernando Alonso:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:14 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

... Are you sure you were trying to quote me on that one? Because I'm not sure what it has to do with the tyre spectrum. :?:

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:19 am 

Exediron wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

... Are you sure you were trying to quote me on that one? Because I'm not sure what it has to do with the tyre spectrum. :?:

Not with You Exediron. It was regarding Mercedes Benz's worry regarding the Haas cars behind much lower in the midfield.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:58 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Cumulative lap times:
Spoiler (click to show)

Where's the cumulative part?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:01 am 

Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Cumulative lap times:
Spoiler (click to show)

Where's the cumulative part?

Oops! :blush:

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:33 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Cumulative lap times:

Valtteri Bottas:

Lewis Hamilton:

Kimi Raikkonen:

Max Verstappen:

Daniel Ricciardo & Sebastian Vettel

Fernando Alonso:

Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:32 am 

Welcome Poker. Always at the service for the great guys over here that have such vast knowledge of F1 & share their experiences here.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:31 am 

Some stats from Formula 1's official website:

Best single lap (combined sessions, all hypersofts)
1. Red Bull (Daniel Ricciardo) - 1:11.841s
2. Mercedes (Lewis Hamilton) - 1:12.480s, +0.354s
3. Ferrari (Sebastian Vettel) - 1:12.413s, +0.572s
4. Renault (Nico Hulkenberg) - 1:13.047s, +1.206s
5. McLaren (Stoffel Vandoorne) - 1:13.077s, +1.236s
6. Toro Rosso (Brendon Hartley) - 1:13.222s, +1.381s
7. Force India (Sergio Perez) - 1:13.370s, +1.529s
8. Williams (Sergey Sirotkin) - 1:13.547s, +1.706s
9. Haas (Kevin Magnussen) - 1:13.572s, +1.731s
10. Sauber (Charles Leclerc) - 1:13.575s, +1.734s

Long-run pace deficit (seconds per lap):
1. Red Bull
2. Ferrari +0.5s
3. Mercedes +0.8s
4. Renault +1.6s
5. McLaren +1.6s
6. Toro Rosso +1.6s
7. Haas +1.7s
8. Sauber +1.7s
9. Force India +1.8s
10. Williams +2.2s

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:30 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
S
2. Mercedes (Lewis Hamilton) - 1:12.480s, +0.354s
3. Ferrari (Sebastian Vettel) - 1:12.413s, +0.572s

Is it just me, or do these numbers not make sense? Shouldn't they be ranked the other way around? And the gap between them is a lot less than represented here :?