It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:20 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Fernando300
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:55 pm 

MB-BOB wrote:
Zoue wrote:
why is it selfish? I get the arrogance, although to be fair he was answering a question put to him, so one could argue he was merely being candid. But how is it selfish?

Throughout his career, regardless of team, Alonso has never offered an ounce of respect for his teammates. Never. He has always considered himself the #1 driver within his team, even when he wasn't (McLaren 2007).

Never was this selfishness more evident than in China, 2010, during the double-stack pit stop with Ferrari teammate Massa. Alonso couldn't remotely stomach the idea of pitting 2nd behind Massa. So he divebombed Massa at the pit entrance. Luckily there was no immediate pileup and blockage of pit entrance for the whole field. But this pass was demonstrably selfish... recklessly selfish.

Even with his current foray in WEC -- a team driving sport if ever there was one -- you'll notice he will never mention his fellow teammates in interviews. That would put them on the same stage as himself, and of course, that can't happen.

We've discussed this before. People simply have their opinions, which won't change here.

My recollection of China 2010 was that the experience of the previous race (Melbourne) was still fresh in his mind, where he did the team player thing by sitting behind Massa and not pressuring him at all. However, Massa's pace was so slow it ended up costing Alonso a better result. So in China when he could see the same thing about to happen again, it was like "Uh uh, I'm making my own luck"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:04 pm 

Ha! As if Hamilton wouldn't have done it to Rosberg. As if Vettel wouldn't have done it to Webber. And that legality of the pitlane overtake has been debated to death on his forum. It was totally legal. If it wasn't he would have been done for it

FA#14

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:32 pm 

The mad titan has now won 2/3 of the cups. Time to get earths mightiest racers together to stop him from collecting all 3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:11 am 

bradtheboywonder wrote:
The mad titan has now won 2/3 of the cups. Time to get earths mightiest racers together to stop him from collecting all 3

Why?

Remember, other "mightiest" drivers have the same options that Nando has. It is a matter of priorities. I say more power to Alonso for trying it, and I wish him luck in his quest.

oh, and yes I know some of these mighty drivers are bound by contracts, but then those contracts are their choice as well. No question that Alonso's situation is a bit unique, still he has his vision and he is trying to live it... it would be easy for him to just sit around and take his paycheck to the bank... no risk there, either physical risk or to reputation.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:02 am 

mcdo wrote:
Ha! As if Hamilton wouldn't have done it to Rosberg. As if Vettel wouldn't have done it to Webber. And that legality of the pitlane overtake has been debated to death on his forum. It was totally legal. If it wasn't he would have been done for it

Explain me how overtaking a car with all four wheels outside of the white lines is legal? That rule existed in 2010 IIRC.
Hamilton did it the same race, maybe they didn't want to punish both of them, I don't know. But going by the rules, I don't see how that was legal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:07 am 

Blake wrote:
bradtheboywonder wrote:

Why?

Remember, other "mightiest" drivers have the same options that Nando has. It is a matter of priorities. I say more power to Alonso for trying it, and I wish him luck in his quest.

oh, and yes I know some of these mighty drivers are bound by contracts, but then those contracts are their choice as well. No question that Alonso's situation is a bit unique, still he has his vision and he is trying to live it... it would be easy for him to just sit around and take his paycheck to the bank... no risk there, either physical risk or to reputation.

Who knows what he’ll be capable of once he receives all 3 cups. What kind of devastation he could cause. He might be able to make half of all race cars DNF with a click of his fingers. We can’t allow him to have that power.

There is really only one hope. Montoya winning Le Mans next year and beating the Mad Titan at the triple.