Total votes : 172
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:44 pm 

For me,

Vettel!!!!!!

Special mention to Leclerc & Grosjean.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:46 pm 

Vettel & Leclerc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:53 pm 

I went Vettel, Verstappen and Leclerc. Honourable mention to Grosjean who had a very solid race.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:08 pm 
Hamilton and Leclerc.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:11 pm 

Vettel, Bottas & Leclerc for me

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:11 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Hamilton and Leclerc.

Hahaha, seriously? :p

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:21 pm 

Leclerc and Gasly.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:23 pm 

Vettel and LeClerc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:36 pm 

Vettel for obvious reasons.

Bottas for taking the Mercedes flag and saving their faces.

Hulkenberg for being the champ of the 2nd league of F1.

Very honorable mention of Leclerc.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:14 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Hamilton and Leclerc.

I would have thought even a Hamilton fan would admit his whole weekend stank...

For me, Vettel, Verstappen and Leclerc.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:21 pm 

The Groundhogs ... :lol:

Well I suppose Vettel and then Leclerc. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:32 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Hamilton and Leclerc.

https://tenor.com/search/try-not-to-laugh-gifs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:08 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
Hamilton and Leclerc.

https://media.giphy.com/media/blPpTGDhn6hEI/giphy.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:33 am 

Vettel, Verstappen and Leclerc for me. Vettel was on it as usual, Verstappen had a beautiful, clean weekend and outlcassed his teammate. Leclerc again putting that Sauber where it doesn't belong and yet had another entertaining battle with Alonso where he defended awfully well.

I think if Ferrari is so keen on retaining Raikonnen to be Seb's lap dog, they should at least consider putting Leclerc in a Haas car next year and see how he responds to being moved up the field. Then again that Sauber car is getting better and better...so maybe another year there is not so bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:00 am 

kleefton wrote:
I think if Ferrari is so keen on retaining Raikonnen to be Seb's lap dog, they should at least consider putting Leclerc in a Haas car next year and see how he responds to being moved up the field. Then again that Sauber car is getting better and better...so maybe another year there is not so bad.

I genuinely think Leclerc would be finishing 7th just about every weekend in the Haas. Significantly better driver already than KMag or Grosjean for my money.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:18 am 

Vettel and Gasly.

Will be interesting to see how Gasly goes once he properly has the Honda upgrade on board, it did seem to be a decent step.

2 votes so far for Hamilton? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:28 am 

Vettel, Bottas, and Leclerc

Vettel for dominating the race.

Valtteri for his job of keeping the pressure on Sebastian.

Leclerc, as others have said, did a great job of keeping Alonso and Gasly at bay.

Honorable mention goes to Hulkenberg for finishing the farthest up behind the big three teams.

Honorable mention also goes to Daniel Ricciardo for getting by Kimi at the start and doing a great overcut on Lewis for fourth position. Was the only passing in the top six.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:50 am 

I went with the podium. Vettel, Bottas, Verstappen.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:30 am 

I've gone with Vettel, Bottas and Grosjean. Very close I would say are Verstappen, Hulkenberg and Leclerc. Would have gone for them too if possible.

Grosjean has missed out on a lot of running this weekend and has been really unlucky. Surprised more didn't vote for him for this race. He finished 12th from last and ahead of Magnussen. Hass were not strong here it seemed but he certainly beat Magnussen and several others. I'm possible being a bit generous. It wasn't truly outstanding, it was just very good considering the lack of running he had earlier.

Bottas had a very solid weekend through qualifying and the race. Although some thought he should have done better here in 2014, he did have some issues which slowed him down. I personally think that this is one of Bottas's special tracks. He looked a bit off last year, but has had a podium here over the last 4 years. And would have likely had one without problems in 2014 and lets not forget he started 3rd in that terrible Williams the year before. He had a good start yesterday and managed to defend well from Verstappen. Given how hard overtaking was, that was critical to do. If Verstappen had got past, I fear Bottas would have been stuck. The only obvious mistake Bottas made was when lapping Sainz. He seemed to loose his sense of speed when approaching the corner and lost a few seconds. But due to the gap he had made, it didn't really cost him. Sky seemed to be thinking that cost him being able to catch Vettel. I doubt he will have as he had to save fuel later anyway. Explaining the reason why Verstappen closed right in.

Vettel may not have looked outstanding, but he was the best in qualifying, although I expected him to beat the Mercedes by more than he did. But however, he led the race and did the best he could. Flawless weekend.

Verstappen finally having a very solid weekend. No mistakes and I don't think he could have done better. Hulkenberg did very well too and was best of the rest. Leclerc again managing to get a point with the Sauber.

I don't think the Stroll / Hartley incident should be any more than a racing incident. I partly agree with Coulthard that Hartly was rather optomistic with attempting to pass where he was. Stroll happened to loose control. But I heard he had a bit of contact earlier on and I'm still not sure if he lost control as a result of something happening a few corners ago. I think it shouldn't be investigated any further.

I don't think any drivers really struggled as such. Vandoorne and Ericsson had there races completely ruined. I expect they only pitted first lap due to a bit of damage from the first lap incident. As choosing to pit then and not again is not a good strategy at all. But they both did it and it made them look worse than they were.

About Hamilton though, I know he had a problem to start with, but I can't say he had a good weekend. I think he could have had a better result despite the problem before he pitted. When he came out the pits, he ran very wide, and IMO because of this, he failed to get past Ricciardo. If he didn't make this mistake, I think he could have at least been 4th. Given this has often been Hamilton's track, he was possibly one of the most disappointing out there really considering what we expect from him. If he ends up having some bad luck soon like Bottas did in Baku, Bottas will be right up there with him and it is nearly the middle of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:22 am 

Warheart01 wrote:
Hamilton and Leclerc.

I think you will get an allergic reaction if you ever vote for Vettel!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:28 am 

Went for Vettel, Verstappen and Leclerc.

Don't think I need to explain Vettel.
Verstappen was visibly better than his teammate and beat two cars that could (should?) have been in front.
Leclerc continues to impress, again a point for the Sauber.

Last edited by mds on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:11 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Hamilton and Leclerc.

The only really positive thing I can say about Lewis' drive this weekend is that he did keep pestering Ricciardo after he lost out to him on the overcut.

Lewis' bobble on his outlap in front of Leclerc may have provided the difference in Daniel's ability to get by Lewis on the round of pitstops.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:33 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Hamilton and Leclerc.

The only really positive thing I can say about Lewis' drive this weekend is that he did keep pestering Ricciardo after he lost out to him on the overcut.

Lewis' bobble on his outlap in front of Leclerc may have provided the difference in Daniel's ability to get by Lewis on the round of pitstops.

yes I'd forgotten about that moment. Could well be right there

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:09 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Hamilton and Leclerc.

I think that Hamilton my have just got Ricciardo when he came out the pits. But if I am correct, when Hamilton came out, he ran really wide and nearly went off track. He just didn't have the grip and was trying a bit too hard to me. If it wasn't for him running wide and loosing a bit of time, I think he may have managed t get Ricciardo then and stay ahead. I don't know why anyone has voted for Hamilton as a driver of the day though. I'd say most on the grid looked better than him for the ability of their cars today. Hamilton seems rather up and down so far this season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:27 pm 

Vettel, he nailed qualifying.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:49 pm 

pokerman wrote:

How does qualifying count for driver of the day on race day?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:51 pm 

Went with Vettel, Bottas and Leclerc. Would not argue with Verstappen being in the mix either, he was under a bit of pressure this weekend and drove well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:30 pm 

dompclarke wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I wish these polls would be driver of the weekend rather than the day. I have to admit I myself do sometimes factor in more than just the day :blush:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:24 pm 

Lojik wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I wish these polls would be driver of the weekend rather than the day. I have to admit I myself do sometimes factor in more than just the day :blush:

There used to be both, you could always make one.
Voting for the question you think should be asked skews the results

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:05 pm 

Exediron wrote:
kleefton wrote:

I genuinely think Leclerc would be finishing 7th just about every weekend in the Haas. Significantly better driver already than KMag or Grosjean for my money.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:11 pm 

Just amazes me that Hamilton has more voted than Grosjean. But maybe people are doing it to wind people like me up. Despite Hamilton having an issue, I don't think there is much of a reason to vote him. He may have had to pit early, but when coming out of the pits, he ran wide and lost his chance of possibly getting past Ricciardo. He just hasn't looked comfortable this weekend since qualifying began.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:53 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Just amazes me that Hamilton has more voted than Grosjean. But maybe people are doing it to wind people like me up. Despite Hamilton having an issue, I don't think there is much of a reason to vote him. He may have had to pit early, but when coming out of the pits, he ran wide and lost his chance of possibly getting past Ricciardo. He just hasn't looked comfortable this weekend since qualifying began.

Some people vote for their favourite driver regardless of the outcome, Hamilton, Vettel, Raikonnen and Alonso all seem to get a few odd votes every race even if they've put it in the wall, best not to get vexed over it lol.

LeClerc, Vettel and Verstappen for me; LeClerc looks solid gold from where i'm sitting, Ericsson is one of the worst team mates to have in a slow car because he is pretty underrated himself, and being towards the back limits just how much distance you can put between you and him. LeClerc is making that look elementary, and as I said in the race topic, if you're a Kimi fan, it's squeeky bum time because the Frenchman is making a bloody good case to be sat in his seat. Vettel was peerless this weekend, big win on a track that Hamilton holds dear. Verstappen overcame a lot of nonsense about the way he goes about racing to pick up the last podium spot... the speed won't ever be in doubt, he just needs to hook it up most weekends like he did this one.

Idiot of the race.... probably Stroll, though at least he had the good grace to accept the blame even after Claire Williams made herself look a bit silly with his defence. Perez gets a mention for black flag nonsense talk too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:50 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Some people vote for their favourite driver regardless of the outcome, Hamilton, Vettel, Raikonnen and Alonso all seem to get a few odd votes every race even if they've put it in the wall, best not to get vexed over it lol.

LeClerc, Vettel and Verstappen for me; LeClerc looks solid gold from where i'm sitting, Ericsson is one of the worst team mates to have in a slow car because he is pretty underrated himself, and being towards the back limits just how much distance you can put between you and him. LeClerc is making that look elementary, and as I said in the race topic, if you're a Kimi fan, it's squeeky bum time because the Frenchman is making a bloody good case to be sat in his seat. Vettel was peerless this weekend, big win on a track that Hamilton holds dear. Verstappen overcame a lot of nonsense about the way he goes about racing to pick up the last podium spot... the speed won't ever be in doubt, he just needs to hook it up most weekends like he did this one.

Idiot of the race.... probably Stroll, though at least he had the good grace to accept the blame even after Claire Williams made herself look a bit silly with his defence. Perez gets a mention for black flag nonsense talk too.

I think a lot of the races between Leclerc and Ericsson have been a bit difficult to compare. Ericsson certainly seems to have a weakness in qualifying at the moment, but aside from Baku, I don't think he's been bad at all in the races. In Monaco, there wasn't really any evidence that either was quicker. The only thing that we did see is that Ericsson was faster until he caught up to Leclerc, who was stuck behind Hartley. Leclerc is certainly looking solid, but IMO, it is way to soon for other teams to start considering him. He didn't look good in the first 3 races and only 4 weekends have gone by since then. 2 of which Ericsson didn't look significantly worse in. And he often gets really heavily criticised for being terrible. Regarding the latest race, Leclerc again did do really well and I think Sauber are certainly turning things around at the moment. I think Ericsson only will have pitted on lap 1 if the team wanted to try an insane strategy that wouldn't work or had picked up damage due to the first lap incident. So that is another race difficult to compare them. I think that given Ericsson hasn't been that far off Leclerc's race pace recently shows that either Ericsson is very under rated, or Leclerc isn't quite what I would call amazing just yet. Given his experience, then yes, that makes it more impressive but I think there are still a lot of better drivers out there with more experience that would do a better job at Ferrari. Not saying Leclerc won't improve. I certainly it to be the case that he will get really good.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:50 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Warheart01 wrote:
Hamilton and Leclerc.

I think that Hamilton my have just got Ricciardo when he came out the pits. But if I am correct, when Hamilton came out, he ran really wide and nearly went off track. He just didn't have the grip and was trying a bit too hard to me. If it wasn't for him running wide and loosing a bit of time, I think he may have managed t get Ricciardo then and stay ahead. I don't know why anyone has voted for Hamilton as a driver of the day though. I'd say most on the grid looked better than him for the ability of their cars today. Hamilton seems rather up and down so far this season.

In Lewis' defense, I have seen a couple of sources that suggested his electrical boost dropping in and out could have cost him as much as 160 horse power when it dropped out. Both Niki Lauda and Toto Wolff said that Lewis did not have the car to take the fight to Max or to repass Daniel.

If he was down that much on HP during portions of the race, I would have to call it a fairly decent drive for Hamilton. I hope they get their new power units up to snuff and in the cars for France.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:35 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I think a lot of the races between Leclerc and Ericsson have been a bit difficult to compare.

Oh come on, why must you do this every time? Leclerc is a rookie, took just a few races to settle in and is now already doing a lot better than Ericsson. The points tally is clear, sentiment in and around the paddock is too. You can fabricate stories on how actually everybody is wrong and mention a host of details to Ericsson's defense in order to paint him a better driver than he is but in the end he's getting a solid beating from a rookie with now 7 races on his tally.

That's the way it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:20 am 

mds wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I think a lot of the races between Leclerc and Ericsson have been a bit difficult to compare.

Oh come on, why must you do this every time? Leclerc is a rookie, took just a few races to settle in and is now already doing a lot better than Ericsson. The points tally is clear, sentiment in and around the paddock is too. You can fabricate stories on how actually everybody is wrong and mention a host of details to Ericsson's defense in order to paint him a better driver than he is but in the end he's getting a solid beating from a rookie with now 7 races on his tally.

That's the way it is.

I'm starting to think that Hogweed is actually Ericsson...or at least a cousin of Ericsson... the guy sure does like to talk him up.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:50 am 

The top three.

Special mention to Gasly going from 19th to 11th in a race with zero overtaking.

Half mention to Ricciardo who, allegedly struggling with the new engine, managed to provide just about the only excitement of the race in the pit stops with Lewis Hamilton.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:54 am 

mds wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

That's the way it is.

I defend Ericsson because I still think he has been under rated. And I don't know what clear evidence you've got in the last 4 races that Leclerc has been far better every time... Baku, ok, Ericsson was bad, but you must admit that Leclerc having 7 cars retire ahead of him somewhat helped with his points. Although I expect he will have got at least 3 of them anyway. (but I'll admit the same with the points Ericsson has got earlier in his career - retirements have often helped) I'm not saying it wasn't a good drive. It indeed was and for a rookie, even better.
Spain, although Ericsson did finish behind, these two were the closest pair of team mates that both finished the race. I don't think Leclerc was far better there. Then Monaco. They pitted 1 lap apart. Ericsson came out 10 seconds behind Leclerc. Then 10 laps later, was behind Leclerc within 2.5 seconds and DRS range. And stayed there until Leclerc was unlucky enough to have a problem. I'm not saying Ericsson was better, but from what we saw, he could well have been as fast or faster. I can't really conclude much though but it was not far better from Leclerc again in the race which is what counts.

Then as I said, Ericsson pitted on lap 1 in Canada. Strategy ruined. He may well have done a bad job anyway, but he didn't have the chance to show he was decent.

I may look like I'm defending Ericsson. That is because I am. In the races (which matter more than qualifying) I do not see how Leclerc has been far better. Concidering he's a rookie with 7 races, then yes, that is certainly impressive, but given Ericsson's reputation and that Leclerc hasn't been far better every race makes me wonder why Leclerc is so highly rated. I personally think Leclerc is very good. But Ericsson is nothing like as bad as the majority think.

You are correct that I basically am disagreeing with others and making my own point. Seems like very few will agree, but a forum will have many viewers with different opinions.

Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:00 am 

Glasnost wrote:
mds wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

That's the way it is.

I'm starting to think that Hogweed is actually Ericsson...or at least a cousin of Ericsson... the guy sure does like to talk him up.

Would Ericsson himself or his cousin rate him near the bottom of the grid? I think Even Ericsson himself will realise he isn't very good. And I don't think he is either. There are only 2 or 3 drivers I would rate lower than him. It is just the fact that leclerc getting rated so highly against what many call a terrible driver that makes me wonder why people think Leclerc is so good. When Ericsson wasn't far off at all even in a very recent race. I do believe Leclerc is already better, but not by that much in race pace yet. Qualifying, yes. And will he get much better.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:23 am 

Flash2k11 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Stroll lost the car, it was a racing incident, I wouldn't call him race idiot. That should go to Perez probably