planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:39 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:19 pm
Posts: 55
What is their problem? They find very little merit in Kimi's performances.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14055
Compared to those around him there usually is very little merit In Kimi's performances.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am
Posts: 1579
Sky commentators are just so biased its beyond a joke, how can you broadcast to the whole world and be so biased.

Really rooting for other drivers to hold Vettel up, and insisting Vettel won't let Kimi go.

It's beyond ridiculous and some people on here as well just repeat what they say verbatim.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2879
Location: UK
When were they rooting for other drivers to hold Vettel up?

I think there's confirmation bias going on here, in that some people have already decided that the British coverage is going to be pro-Hamilton and anti-Ferrari and any statements that appear to follow this narrative become irrefutable evidence of that while anything they say to the contrary is ignored. Sky's coverage sounds quite well balanced to me, and there is a key difference between focusing on Hamilton a little more (as the British coverage would be expected to do) and being biased.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:59 pm
Posts: 504
Rockie wrote:
Sky commentators are just so biased its beyond a joke, how can you broadcast to the whole world and be so biased.

Really rooting for other drivers to hold Vettel up, and insisting Vettel won't let Kimi go.

It's beyond ridiculous and some people on here as well just repeat what they say verbatim.

Because it is made for the British Sky channel, which the Brits pay for, same as Dutch/French/German/etc coverage is biased for their market. It is then bought by various parties to broadcast elsewhere.
If you live in one of those territories and don't like the British based content you need to harass your provider to do their own coverage not slate Sky.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:52 pm
Posts: 2890
j man wrote:
When were they rooting for other drivers to hold Vettel up?

I think there's confirmation bias going on here, in that some people have already decided that the British coverage is going to be pro-Hamilton and anti-Ferrari and any statements that appear to follow this narrative become irrefutable evidence of that while anything they say to the contrary is ignored. Sky's coverage sounds quite well balanced to me, and there is a key difference between focusing on Hamilton a little more (as the British coverage would be expected to do) and being biased.


:thumbup:

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:02 am
Posts: 797
Location: India
We had Sky coverage for 1yr but glad it is C4 which IMO is much better. Karun Chandhok is annoying though

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM9-GK3MeLI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23710
I used to have Sky and quite liked the coverage. Yes, the races were invariably seen through a Hamilton shaped lens but there again I have Dutch TV now and they make Sky look positively neutral. It's all about Verstappen and even when he causes an accident it's never his fault!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 6348
Location: Nebraska, USA
j man wrote:
When were they rooting for other drivers to hold Vettel up?

I think there's confirmation bias going on here, in that some people have already decided that the British coverage is going to be pro-Hamilton and anti-Ferrari and any statements that appear to follow this narrative become irrefutable evidence of that while anything they say to the contrary is ignored. Sky's coverage sounds quite well balanced to me, and there is a key difference between focusing on Hamilton a little more (as the British coverage would be expected to do) and being biased.
i

actually, they did say exactly what he said about others holding Vettel up.

You can pretend there isn't a pro-Hamilton bias... And you would be wrong. Most people with reason see it and accept it "proper" due to it being British media.

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2879
Location: UK
Blake wrote:
j man wrote:
When were they rooting for other drivers to hold Vettel up?

I think there's confirmation bias going on here, in that some people have already decided that the British coverage is going to be pro-Hamilton and anti-Ferrari and any statements that appear to follow this narrative become irrefutable evidence of that while anything they say to the contrary is ignored. Sky's coverage sounds quite well balanced to me, and there is a key difference between focusing on Hamilton a little more (as the British coverage would be expected to do) and being biased.
i

actually, they did say exactly what he said about others holding Vettel up.

You can pretend there isn't a pro-Hamilton bias... And you would be wrong. Most people with reason see it and accept it "proper" due to it being British media.

You can believe that if you like, but I'd hardly consider your opinion to be impartial in any matter regarding Ferrari.

There is a pro-Hamilton focus yes, but I don't see a pro-Hamilton bias. The Sky team always give full credit to whoever wins (yes even Rosberg in 2016), will quite readily criticise Hamilton when he makes a mistake or performs poorly and a number of the pundits (namely Brundle and Kravitz) appear to believe Alonso to be the better driver.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am
Posts: 163
Crofty makes Sky coverage unwatchable esp practice sessions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 6348
Location: Nebraska, USA
j man wrote:
Blake wrote:
j man wrote:
When were they rooting for other drivers to hold Vettel up?

I think there's confirmation bias going on here, in that some people have already decided that the British coverage is going to be pro-Hamilton and anti-Ferrari and any statements that appear to follow this narrative become irrefutable evidence of that while anything they say to the contrary is ignored. Sky's coverage sounds quite well balanced to me, and there is a key difference between focusing on Hamilton a little more (as the British coverage would be expected to do) and being biased.
i

actually, they did say exactly what he said about others holding Vettel up.

You can pretend there isn't a pro-Hamilton bias... And you would be wrong. Most people with reason see it and accept it "proper" due to it being British media.

You can believe that if you like, but I'd hardly consider your opinion to be impartial in any matter regarding Ferrari.

There is a pro-Hamilton focus yes, but I don't see a pro-Hamilton bias. The Sky team always give full credit to whoever wins (yes even Rosberg in 2016), will quite readily criticise Hamilton when he makes a mistake or performs poorly and a number of the pundits (namely Brundle and Kravitz) appear to believe Alonso to be the better driver.


Like they could ignore whoever wins?

You can say what you will about my impartiality with regards Ferrari (after all, apparently I am on their payroll it seems), but I can say the same about your own impartiality when it comes to a British based broadcast team.... Any chance you can't see the biases because of it.

That a couple of them believe Alonso to be the best doesn't mean the team has no pro-Lewis bias. MANY on this forum, British and otherwise, have suggested that it exist. I have stated before that I understand a "local media" media, but... In my opinion, since they are doing International coverage, the should be more neutral. And yes, I know that not everybody agrees with me on that.

P.S.
Could you and/or another forum friend, contact Ferrari for me and tell them that the checks must bouncing as my bank account has not been growing from their pay.
;)

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Last edited by Blake on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 6348
Location: Nebraska, USA
Zazu wrote:
Crofty makes Sky coverage unwatchable esp practice sessions


:nod:

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14055
Blake wrote:
j man wrote:
Blake wrote:
j man wrote:
When were they rooting for other drivers to hold Vettel up?

I think there's confirmation bias going on here, in that some people have already decided that the British coverage is going to be pro-Hamilton and anti-Ferrari and any statements that appear to follow this narrative become irrefutable evidence of that while anything they say to the contrary is ignored. Sky's coverage sounds quite well balanced to me, and there is a key difference between focusing on Hamilton a little more (as the British coverage would be expected to do) and being biased.
i

actually, they did say exactly what he said about others holding Vettel up.

You can pretend there isn't a pro-Hamilton bias... And you would be wrong. Most people with reason see it and accept it "proper" due to it being British media.

You can believe that if you like, but I'd hardly consider your opinion to be impartial in any matter regarding Ferrari.

There is a pro-Hamilton focus yes, but I don't see a pro-Hamilton bias. The Sky team always give full credit to whoever wins (yes even Rosberg in 2016), will quite readily criticise Hamilton when he makes a mistake or performs poorly and a number of the pundits (namely Brundle and Kravitz) appear to believe Alonso to be the better driver.


Like they could ignore whoever wins?

You can say what you will about my impartiality with regards Ferrari (after all, apparently I am on their payroll it seems), but I can say the same about your own impartiality when it comes to a British based broadcast team.... Any chance you can't see the biases because of it.

That a couple of them believe Alonso to be the best doesn't mean the team has no pro-Lewis bias. MANY on this forum, British and otherwise, have suggested that it exist. I have stated before that I understand a "local media" media, but... In my opinion, since they are doing International coverage, the should be more neutral. And yes, I know that not everybody agrees with me on that.

P.S.
Could you and/or another forum friend, contact Ferrari for me and tell them that the checks must bouncing as my bank account has not been growing from their pay.
;)


There coverage is Hamilton centred. No doubt about that. I don't think it is massively biased though. I don't think Brundle would criticise Vettel more harshly for a mistake than he would do Hamilton.

You do have to remember Blake that you are not viewing from a centralised position yourself so even if sky did hold a completely neutral position it will appear biased to you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 6348
Location: Nebraska, USA
mikeyg123 wrote:
Blake wrote:
j man wrote:
Blake wrote:
j man wrote:
When were they rooting for other drivers to hold Vettel up?

I think there's confirmation bias going on here, in that some people have already decided that the British coverage is going to be pro-Hamilton and anti-Ferrari and any statements that appear to follow this narrative become irrefutable evidence of that while anything they say to the contrary is ignored. Sky's coverage sounds quite well balanced to me, and there is a key difference between focusing on Hamilton a little more (as the British coverage would be expected to do) and being biased.
i

actually, they did say exactly what he said about others holding Vettel up.

You can pretend there isn't a pro-Hamilton bias... And you would be wrong. Most people with reason see it and accept it "proper" due to it being British media.

You can believe that if you like, but I'd hardly consider your opinion to be impartial in any matter regarding Ferrari.

There is a pro-Hamilton focus yes, but I don't see a pro-Hamilton bias. The Sky team always give full credit to whoever wins (yes even Rosberg in 2016), will quite readily criticise Hamilton when he makes a mistake or performs poorly and a number of the pundits (namely Brundle and Kravitz) appear to believe Alonso to be the better driver.


Like they could ignore whoever wins?

You can say what you will about my impartiality with regards Ferrari (after all, apparently I am on their payroll it seems), but I can say the same about your own impartiality when it comes to a British based broadcast team.... Any chance you can't see the biases because of it.

That a couple of them believe Alonso to be the best doesn't mean the team has no pro-Lewis bias. MANY on this forum, British and otherwise, have suggested that it exist. I have stated before that I understand a "local media" media, but... In my opinion, since they are doing International coverage, the should be more neutral. And yes, I know that not everybody agrees with me on that.

P.S.
Could you and/or another forum friend, contact Ferrari for me and tell them that the checks must bouncing as my bank account has not been growing from their pay.
;)


There coverage is Hamilton centred. No doubt about that. I don't think it is massively biased though. I don't think Brundle would criticise Vettel more harshly for a mistake than he would do Hamilton.

You do have to remember Blake that you are not viewing from a centralised position yourself so even if sky did hold a completely neutral position it will appear biased to you.


I figured that was coming, mikey. Remember too that you and j man are not viewing from a "centralized poistion" either. You have a "local" media, of course that is going to suit you to a greater degree.

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 14055
Blake wrote:

I figured that was coming, mikey. Remember too that you and j man are not viewing from a "centralized poistion" either. You have a "local" media, of course that is going to suit you to a greater degree.


So you do at least acknowledge it then?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:42 am
Posts: 965
mikeyg123 wrote:
Blake wrote:
j man wrote:
Blake wrote:
j man wrote:
When were they rooting for other drivers to hold Vettel up?

I think there's confirmation bias going on here, in that some people have already decided that the British coverage is going to be pro-Hamilton and anti-Ferrari and any statements that appear to follow this narrative become irrefutable evidence of that while anything they say to the contrary is ignored. Sky's coverage sounds quite well balanced to me, and there is a key difference between focusing on Hamilton a little more (as the British coverage would be expected to do) and being biased.
i

actually, they did say exactly what he said about others holding Vettel up.

You can pretend there isn't a pro-Hamilton bias... And you would be wrong. Most people with reason see it and accept it "proper" due to it being British media.

You can believe that if you like, but I'd hardly consider your opinion to be impartial in any matter regarding Ferrari.

There is a pro-Hamilton focus yes, but I don't see a pro-Hamilton bias. The Sky team always give full credit to whoever wins (yes even Rosberg in 2016), will quite readily criticise Hamilton when he makes a mistake or performs poorly and a number of the pundits (namely Brundle and Kravitz) appear to believe Alonso to be the better driver.


Like they could ignore whoever wins?

You can say what you will about my impartiality with regards Ferrari (after all, apparently I am on their payroll it seems), but I can say the same about your own impartiality when it comes to a British based broadcast team.... Any chance you can't see the biases because of it.

That a couple of them believe Alonso to be the best doesn't mean the team has no pro-Lewis bias. MANY on this forum, British and otherwise, have suggested that it exist. I have stated before that I understand a "local media" media, but... In my opinion, since they are doing International coverage, the should be more neutral. And yes, I know that not everybody agrees with me on that.

P.S.
Could you and/or another forum friend, contact Ferrari for me and tell them that the checks must bouncing as my bank account has not been growing from their pay.
;)


There coverage is Hamilton centred. No doubt about that. I don't think it is massively biased though. I don't think Brundle would criticise Vettel more harshly for a mistake than he would do Hamilton.

You do have to remember Blake that you are not viewing from a centralised position yourself so even if sky did hold a completely neutral position it will appear biased to you.


Well today they chose to believe that max was having a dig at Vettel in the press conference when it was pretty clear immediately to me that max was critsising the media. The look on their faces was precious when they asked max if he was critsising Vettel and Max said no.
But really it's an international feed. Liberty needs to make some changes if they want to grow interest in the sport.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:59 pm
Posts: 504
AravJ wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Blake wrote:
j man wrote:
Blake wrote:
i

actually, they did say exactly what he said about others holding Vettel up.

You can pretend there isn't a pro-Hamilton bias... And you would be wrong. Most people with reason see it and accept it "proper" due to it being British media.

You can believe that if you like, but I'd hardly consider your opinion to be impartial in any matter regarding Ferrari.

There is a pro-Hamilton focus yes, but I don't see a pro-Hamilton bias. The Sky team always give full credit to whoever wins (yes even Rosberg in 2016), will quite readily criticise Hamilton when he makes a mistake or performs poorly and a number of the pundits (namely Brundle and Kravitz) appear to believe Alonso to be the better driver.


Like they could ignore whoever wins?

You can say what you will about my impartiality with regards Ferrari (after all, apparently I am on their payroll it seems), but I can say the same about your own impartiality when it comes to a British based broadcast team.... Any chance you can't see the biases because of it.

That a couple of them believe Alonso to be the best doesn't mean the team has no pro-Lewis bias. MANY on this forum, British and otherwise, have suggested that it exist. I have stated before that I understand a "local media" media, but... In my opinion, since they are doing International coverage, the should be more neutral. And yes, I know that not everybody agrees with me on that.

P.S.
Could you and/or another forum friend, contact Ferrari for me and tell them that the checks must bouncing as my bank account has not been growing from their pay.
;)


There coverage is Hamilton centred. No doubt about that. I don't think it is massively biased though. I don't think Brundle would criticise Vettel more harshly for a mistake than he would do Hamilton.

You do have to remember Blake that you are not viewing from a centralised position yourself so even if sky did hold a completely neutral position it will appear biased to you.


Well today they chose to believe that max was having a dig at Vettel in the press conference when it was pretty clear immediately to me that max was critsising the media. The look on their faces was precious when they asked max if he was critsising Vettel and Max said no.
But really it's an international feed. Liberty needs to make some changes if they want to grow interest in the sport.

It's really a British feed that others buy and broadcast internationally. The changes needed to address this are for the others who buy it to make their own feeds.
For those who say the Brits can keep C4 as their local feed it's a joke, not all races in full and this deal is up for renewing soon which could mean highlights only. Also C4 is on free to view whereas Sky they pay for, so why should the feed they pay for be changed to suit those who don't (for whatever reason) make their own coverage?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 6348
Location: Nebraska, USA
mikeyg123 wrote:
Blake wrote:

I figured that was coming, mikey. Remember too that you and j man are not viewing from a "centralized poistion" either. You have a "local" media, of course that is going to suit you to a greater degree.


So you do at least acknowledge it then?


Acknowledge what, mikey?

Are you asking if I admit that I have a biases? I have seldom denied it. One of my biggest pet peeves are those with biases who claim to be neutral.. And this forum has many such posters. In fact, I have yet to meet a totally neutral person in over 70 years of life... We are all products of our environment and experiences.

That said, having a leaning toward a certain team, driver, country of whatever, does not mean that your opinion on situations or issues are always wrong either.... Just that they will frequently be dismissed as lacking credibility automatically by the other side.

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am
Posts: 525
Sky is a British Broadcaster, hosted by ex British drivers and British journalists, made foremost for the British market with a British driver challenging for the title in a British/German owned team. You couldn’t really make a bigger recipe for them to make Hamilton the centre. Unless he was driving for Rolls Royce I guess :lol: They are a lot more neutral than ITV were with Hamilton though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 6348
Location: Nebraska, USA
Johnson wrote:
Sky is a British Broadcaster, hosted by ex British drivers and British journalists, made foremost for the British market with a British driver challenging for the title in a British/German owned team. You couldn’t really make a bigger recipe for them to make Hamilton the centre. Unless he was driving for Rolls Royce I guess :lol: They are a lot more neutral than ITV were with Hamilton though.


Johnson, you are right... They are a "local" broadcast being sold internationally.

I am curious though... When did Mercedes become British/German owned?
;)

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm
Posts: 1866
Location: Miami, Florida
When was Mercedes ever NOT British owned??!!?!?!??

The vast majority of employees for the German "manufacturer" are in fact Bri-Ish since the team has been based in Brackley for many years, even before Mercedes bought Brawn's team which was formerly Honda F1, and BAR before that, and Tyrrell before that, all of whom are rooted in the UK and to this day the so-called "German" Team resides in Brackley, ENGLAND.

_________________
HAMILTON :: ALONSO :: VETTEL :: RAIKKONEN :: RICCIARDO :: VERSTAPPEN
BOTTAS :: MAGNUSSEN :: OCON :: SAINZ :: PEREZ :: VANDOORNE :: HULKENBERG
GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: ERICSON :: LECLERC :: STROLL :: SEROTKIN :: HARTLEY


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 6348
Location: Nebraska, USA
The ket word is OWNED.

I am aware that Mercedes team works out of the UK... and of their most recent history, but that is not British owned. BTW, i am not at all sure the dominate Mercedes of the 59s were ever British owned or located for that matter.
;)

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:26 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 5763
Location: Michigan, USA
Blake wrote:
The ket word is OWNED.

I am aware that Mercedes team works out of the UK... and of their most recent history, but that is not British owned. BTW, i am not at all sure the dominate Mercedes of the 59s were ever British owned or located for that matter.
;)

Mercedes is not British owned, but I do suspect that the majority of the actual race team are probably British. Of course, that's doubtless true of every other team except for Ferrari (and maybe Sauber), so I don't see any reason for a British television crew to show any particular preference for Mercedes. And indeed they did not, before Hamilton was driving for them.

As someone who is pretty neutral on this subject - not a Hamilton fan, not a Mercedes fan, not a Vettel fan, not a Ferrari fan - I think the bias is mostly limited to Crofty. Croft is a pest, but the rest of the team at least tries to be neutral.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 323
Location: Kansas
Exediron wrote:
Blake wrote:
The ket word is OWNED.

I am aware that Mercedes team works out of the UK... and of their most recent history, but that is not British owned. BTW, i am not at all sure the dominate Mercedes of the 59s were ever British owned or located for that matter.
;)

Mercedes is not British owned, but I do suspect that the majority of the actual race team are probably British. Of course, that's doubtless true of every other team except for Ferrari (and maybe Sauber), so I don't see any reason for a British television crew to show any particular preference for Mercedes. And indeed they did not, before Hamilton was driving for them.

As someone who is pretty neutral on this subject - not a Hamilton fan, not a Mercedes fan, not a Vettel fan, not a Ferrari fan - I think the bias is mostly limited to Crofty. Croft is a pest, but the rest of the team at least tries to be neutral.


The Best thing I can say about Crofty is that he is better than Leigh Diffey. I have had enough of "Go Fast Day" and some of Leigh's other isms.

Would like to find out how Lazenby would do in front of the main microphone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 6348
Location: Nebraska, USA
As painful as it is to say, mort... i think I even prefer Diffey. Never thought I'd be saying that!


Where in Kansas are you? May have to get together sometime.

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm
Posts: 1866
Location: Miami, Florida
If you ever watched GP2 when Buxton was the anchor, it was flawless.
The info and inside knowledge he exuded at all times was better than anyone else who I've ever heard call races, outside of Bobby Unser only he didn't speak anywhere near as slowly as Bobby.
He has to be one of the slowest talking fast drivers ever! :LOL:

Blake I disagree…

Diffey is/was abysmally terrible for F1.

On top of that he cannot handle ANY sort of criticism and will give you the evil eye or block you on any form of social media if you don't offer him anything but praise.
I like to think of him the same way I think of Pat Riley… A real, first class Chocolate Starfish!!!

And while I find him unbearably terrible for F1, he is PERFECT for MotoGP. His knowledge and overly excited shouting is a perfect fit there. It's just too much for F1 and too often his "observations" left me literally saying Whaaaaat????? Sometimes Matchett or Hobbo would correct him in a comedically coddling way, almost as if to not upset him.

Crofty sometimes says things that leave you thinking "what?" as well, but he comes off very pleasant and likable, and he's usually referencing things in a positive light.
Brundle today was speaking with someone off-microphone and when he came back he immediately recited exactly what Crofty said and they both had a laugh.

_________________
HAMILTON :: ALONSO :: VETTEL :: RAIKKONEN :: RICCIARDO :: VERSTAPPEN
BOTTAS :: MAGNUSSEN :: OCON :: SAINZ :: PEREZ :: VANDOORNE :: HULKENBERG
GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: ERICSON :: LECLERC :: STROLL :: SEROTKIN :: HARTLEY


Last edited by F1 MERCENARY on Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 6348
Location: Nebraska, USA
I never met Buxton, but I can tell you that Bobby is as nice a guy as he is knowledgeable.

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm
Posts: 1866
Location: Miami, Florida
Blake wrote:
I never met Buxton, but I can tell you that Bobby is as nice a guy as he is knowledgeable.

Hells Yes! A-men to that!!!

Little Al ironically is also a slow talker like his Uncle!

_________________
HAMILTON :: ALONSO :: VETTEL :: RAIKKONEN :: RICCIARDO :: VERSTAPPEN
BOTTAS :: MAGNUSSEN :: OCON :: SAINZ :: PEREZ :: VANDOORNE :: HULKENBERG
GROSJEAN :: GASLY :: ERICSON :: LECLERC :: STROLL :: SEROTKIN :: HARTLEY


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:12 pm
Posts: 6348
Location: Nebraska, USA
Also Momma Unser made a pretty damn good chili. She used to serve it to all visitors after the Pikes Peak Hill climb qualifications in the park at Manitou Springs. The top qualifiers(1 - 3rd) in each class were allowed to drive their cars down from the mountain to the park where they would meet with the fans and eat Momma's chili ! They were very can friendly and accessible... Kind of like ALMS, IMSA, a Vintage car racing series.

_________________
Forza Ferrari
WCCs = 16
WDCs = 15


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9257
Blake wrote:
Also Momma Unser made a pretty damn good chili. She used to serve it to all visitors after the Pikes Peak Hill climb qualifications in the park at Manitou Springs. The top qualifiers(1 - 3rd) in each class were allowed to drive their cars down from the mountain to the park where they would meet with the fans and eat Momma's chili ! They were very can friendly and accessible... Kind of like ALMS, IMSA, a Vintage car racing series.

Speaking of Pikes Peak (totally OT so sorry for that), I just read the Loeb's Pikes Peak record has been broken by some 16s by an... electric car.

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:42 am
Posts: 965
dompclarke wrote:
It's really a British feed that others buy and broadcast internationally. The changes needed to address this are for the others who buy it to make their own feeds.
For those who say the Brits can keep C4 as their local feed it's a joke, not all races in full and this deal is up for renewing soon which could mean highlights only. Also C4 is on free to view whereas Sky they pay for, so why should the feed they pay for be changed to suit those who don't (for whatever reason) make their own coverage?


Same reason we cannot get live streaming, they have exclusive rights. I am just saying exclusive rights should be changed. Liberty should take more control that would have international appeal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:31 am
Posts: 2027
I agree they are biased and also negative toward certain other drivers. But I just find it funny. Especially Brundle. He is a relentless Hamilton fan.
You have to take SkyF1 with a huge grain of salt and filter or ignore everything they say about the disfavored drivers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm
Posts: 181
I feel like the british 'bias' argument has been going round in circles. British commentators can get excited by British success whilst also delivering quality commentary for the most part.

The only time it was ever unbearable was at the back end of ITV's coverage when James Allen and to an extent Brundle caught Hamilton fever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 5325
bourbon19 wrote:
I agree they are biased and also negative toward certain other drivers. But I just find it funny. Especially Brundle. He is a relentless Hamilton fan.
You have to take SkyF1 with a huge grain of salt and filter or ignore everything they say about the disfavored drivers.

Actually, if you pay attention, it's quite apparent that Martin doesn't like Lewis. To say he's a Hamilton fan shows the lack of any real meat to these accusations. The Sky team are not pro Hamilton with the notable exception of Crofty. The only thing I would say is that you can tell it's a British feed because they do tend to talk about Lewis a bit more than the other drivers. That said, a lot of that is down to the fact that he's winning and at the front. The next most talked about guy is Vettel and then Dan & Max, etc. They talk about the guys at the front.

Anyway this thread is ridiculous IMO. What exactly has Kimi done to warrant praise lately? He has been abysmal and you can't blame the broadcast team for recognizing that. because Kimi has a decent drive and overtakes Daniel when he hit mechanical trouble we're supposed to throw a parade? Because he actually finishes on the podium in a car that should routinely be on the podium, we're supposed to give him special praise?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:43 am
Posts: 123
The guy doing GP2 is good at commentary and I love weekends when Anthony Davidson takes over from Paul Di Resta.

Sky is biased and it creeps out in small ways sometimes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:59 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 1317
Location: Far side of Koozebane
Multi69 wrote:
The guy doing GP2 is good at commentary and I love weekends when Anthony Davidson takes over from Paul Di Resta.

Sky is biased and it creeps out in small ways sometimes.


Please don't say you mean Davide Valsecchi? 8O 8O

_________________
Question: If a compulsive liar tells you they're a compulsive liar, are they really a compulsive liar?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:11 am
Posts: 209
Valsecchi is awesome, he's just not very good with the language. I've never heard anyone as excited about what he's commenting on.

But yeah, the other guy is not bad at all either. Much better than the F3 guy, who routinely gets who passed who wrong, cheerfully exclaims "you're not suppossed to be able to pass here in an F3 car but these guys seem to have little trouble!" after a first lap move, then followed by a 30 minute race with zero overtaking in the top ten.

BBC commentators are totes biased, and Crofty is by far the worst. Not sure anyone should be surprised or have a problem with that, though. It definitely makes the coverage worse from a non-brit standpoint, I'd be annoyed if it was official F1 stream commentators.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:49 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 1317
Location: Far side of Koozebane
Liket wrote:
Valsecchi is awesome, he's just not very good with the language. I've never heard anyone as excited about what he's commenting on.


Dear lord. He drives me absolutely insane.

Liket wrote:
BBC commentators are totes biased, and Crofty is by far the worst. Not sure anyone should be surprised or have a problem with that, though. It definitely makes the coverage worse from a non-brit standpoint, I'd be annoyed if it was official F1 stream commentators.

I've never taken to Crofty. I enjoyed James Allen's commentary years ago when he replaced Murray Walker before he was punted for the human insomnia cure that is Jonathon Legard. Brundle & Coulthard were the pick of the bunch for me. Their effort in 2011 in Canada during the rain delay is the stuff of legends.

Being a non brit myself i've absolutely no issue with any Brit bias Sky may show. They're are a British broadcaster and their obligation is first and foremost to their British Audience. If Australia or Canada or New Zealand stations want to pay for the local rights for the Sky feed, they do it with the knowledge they're buying a British telecast.

I grew up on the BBC feed, then ITV now Sky. Murray Walker & James Hunt were British biased. So was James Allen, Martin Brundle, David Coultard & Jonathon Legard. At the end of the day, they're a British telecaster telecasting to a British audience. Other countries just decide to pay them money to listen in.

_________________
Question: If a compulsive liar tells you they're a compulsive liar, are they really a compulsive liar?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:11 am
Posts: 209
Jezza13 wrote:
Dear lord. He drives me absolutely insane.


:lol:

Brundle and Coulthard are still the best commentators who've been on the job in Britain since I started watching the beebs broadcasts on occasion back around 2008 or something? I don't remember. I think the Legard guy is my least favourite by far, he's the "heeerrree's Jenson Button!!!!" guy, right? He sounded like he needed to change his undies every time the Brawn was on screen.

What I meant to say if it wasn't clear is I have no issue with their bias, but that i probably would have if this was the coverage that new online service F1 are putting out.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Black_Flag_11, Jezza13 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group