18. Carlos Sainz 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
19. Marcus Ericsson 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
20. Charles Leclerc 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 152
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:34 pm 

For me,

Verstappen, Alonso & Ericsson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:40 pm 

Vettel, purely because we don't often see one-on-one moves between world champions in similar cars, specially one being put on Lewis Hamilton. And then ensuring he pushed him to the edge of the track. Damn, that was a lesson for Rosberg-2016.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:41 pm 

Kimi, max and alonso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:43 pm 

Verstappen, Grosjean and Leclerc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:44 pm 

Verstappen, Alonso (pitlane to 8 in a McLaren!), Grosjean (finally!), Räikkönen, Magnussen, Ericsson

Disappointing: Mercedes - no words

All Ferrari engines in the top 10!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:45 pm 

Went with Vettel.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:46 pm 

Verstappen, Grosjean and Alonso, for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:48 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:

Seriously?

He made some costly mistakes, was slower than his team mate and got a lesson in race management by Alonso in a slower car.

Max,RoGro and Alonso for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:50 pm 

Verstappen, Raikkonen, Vettel, Grosjean

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:51 pm 

IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
Vettel, purely because we don't often see one-on-one moves between world champions in similar cars, specially one being put on Lewis Hamilton. And then ensuring he pushed him to the edge of the track. Damn, that was a lesson for Rosberg-2016.

Yes a superb passing move. Very brave to commit to the inside after Hamilton attempted to close the gap and then made sure Hamilton couldn't come back at him in the next straight. Perfectly executed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:52 pm 

If Kimi hadn't made such a ham's fist of the opening laps I may have gone for him. Was very strong later in the race and at one point looked like he'd have a sniff at the lead. But the beginning severely compromised him. He lost places through his own errors and that cost him dear. Vettel also looked a little lacklustre at one point in clear air but lapping slower than those in front of him. Can't give it to him. I only saw a bit of his race but Alonso impressed me and was weighing up to give it to him. But in the end I gave it to Max because he had to be really careful with a slowly deteriorating left rear and managed that really well. Must have been a lot of pressure and he kept his cool

Lotus49 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Seriously?

He made some costly mistakes, was slower than his team mate and got a lesson in race management by Alonso in a slower car.

He wasn't slower than his team mate.

Verstappen just edges it for me, he really had the third best car today judging from Ricciardo's struggles prior to his DNF.

Notable performances from Vettel and Alonso too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:53 pm 

Kimi and the Haas drivers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:53 pm 

Hilarious. There's a vote for Hamilton already

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:54 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Seriously?

Yes he was.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:56 pm 

I see the repeat offender voting for Hamilton has struck again...

There were much better drives out there today. Some even managed to go more than 5 minutes without destroying their tyres.

Ericsson was a highlight for me. Verstappen drove very well to manage his tyres and win in a Red Bull at their worst track.

I thought Raikkonen performed well too, even if he napped at the start. His tyres looked great the whole race.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:59 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Seriously?

Did he really need CL to let him through, I think he'd have got him sooner or later. If I'm wrong I'll take that one back.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:00 pm 

Still, Leclerc finished ahead. A lot of good passes.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:01 pm 

Mr-E wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Seriously?

Yes he was.

They were on different strategies as Leclerc pitted under the VSC and Ericsson didn't, so hard to make a direct comparison. Without team orders though I think Ericsson would have finished ahead, I'm a little confused that they swapped the drivers back over when Ericsson could have passed him on his own merit anyway. I think Force India did the same thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:03 pm 

Zoue wrote:

There's always a few joke votes. Bottas has one too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:03 pm 

I'm not a fan of this letting your team mate through to have a go at someone ahead and then having to give the place back. Surely both Perez and Ericsson would've got their team mates without being waved by but because they jumped out the way they get the place back they were never going to keep in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:05 pm 

Why are people only bringing up FI in the comparison? Mercedes has done it as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:06 pm 

Checo also deserves a mention. Struggled yesterday enough to be eliminated in Q1. Started 17th & finished in 7th. Fair play as well as Ocon let him get past to try catch Magnussen. When not possible, Checo in the end slowed down to let Ocon through to finish in 6th.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:08 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
Still, Leclerc finished ahead. A lot of good passes.

Ahead because he got given the place back. And he didn't finish ahead of Alonso despite Alonso starting in the pitlane in a slower car.

Driver of the day my eye. He's been superb up until this weekend but the Sauber isn't the slowest car anymore and he could've been much higher up without those offs and better stint management.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:10 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
Why are people only bringing up FI in the comparison? Mercedes has done it as well.

Talking about today and anyway Bottas could've kept Lewis behind in Hungary for the rest of the race. No chance Ocon on those tyres keeps Perez behind and no chance Leclerc does with Ericsson either so they got freebies imo.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:12 pm 

j man wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Not sure what’s funny. Not like it was Hamilton or Bottas fault that the cars failed or the strategy was abysmal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:13 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Checo also deserves a mention. Struggled yesterday enough to be eliminated in Q1. Started 17th & finished in 7th. Fair play as well as Ocon let him get past to try catch Magnussen. When not possible, Checo in the end slowed down to let Ocon through to finish in 6th.

Wow, that is good team work. Same what Mercedes did in Hungary last year. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:14 pm 

davidheath461 wrote:
j man wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Not sure what’s funny. Not like it was Hamilton or Bottas fault that the cars failed or the strategy was abysmal.

or that he got overtaken? er, ok

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:22 pm 

j man wrote:
Mr-E wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Seriously?

Yes he was.

They were on different strategies as Leclerc pitted under the VSC and Ericsson didn't, so hard to make a direct comparison. Without team orders though I think Ericsson would have finished ahead, I'm a little confused that they swapped the drivers back over when Ericsson could have passed him on his own merit anyway. I think Force India did the same thing.

Well, I know this is DOTD, but if we include Saturday too, Leclerc prevented Ericsson from improving on his final attempt by running onto the gravel. Ericsson was up in the first sector than had to abort. Ericsson being 20th is partly his fault for not getting a good lap soon enough, but also partly Leclerc for ruining his attempt. So I think Ericsson was due a bit of luck of moving up 2 places and starting 18th, which he got. Leclerc clearly did do better as he qualified much higher. His start was ok but he ran off track and potentually ruined his chance of doing the same strategy as Ericsson. From when Ericsson pitted, he was far faster. And if Sauber had instantly let Ericsson through, 8th place will have been almost guarenteed. As Lotus49 said, even if they had no team orders, it is very unlikely that Ericsson wouldn't have passed. I personally think it is rather unfair that Ericsson had to return that position.

I'd say this weekends performance could possibly go towards Ericsson. in the team mate wars section. But DOTD, I'm not sure if I would vote for Ericsson yet. Grosjean is the obvious stand out IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:25 pm 

Zoue wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:
j man wrote:
Zoue wrote:

I've seen far worse driver of the day votes for both Hamilton and Vettel on this forum. There are people here who just vote for their favourite driver no matter the circumstances, as you well know.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:26 pm 

Lojik wrote:
Zoue wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:
j man wrote:
Zoue wrote:

I've seen far worse driver of the day votes for both Hamilton and Vettel on this forum. There are people here who just vote for their favourite driver no matter the circumstances, as you well know.

true. Doesn't make it any more excusable, though

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:28 pm 

Zoue wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:
j man wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Right, when his tyres were blistering. It’s not like he crashed into 2 different cars on the first lap.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:30 pm 

Lojik wrote:
Zoue wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:
j man wrote:
Zoue wrote:

and others who wouldn't vote for a driver they dislike no matter how well they did.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:31 pm 

davidheath461 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
davidheath461 wrote:
j man wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Right, when his tyres were blistering. It’s not like he crashed into 2 different cars on the first lap.

he got overtaken long before his tyres were a problem. What does him not crashing into other cars have to do with it? :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:38 pm 

Apparently McLaren ran out of front wings so Alonso was using one from last year that they didn't know how to set up with the car.

Still gets 8th from the pit lane. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:43 pm 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Wow, that is good team work. Same what Mercedes did in Hungary last year. 8)

A first double points finish of 2018 in the top 10 for their 200th race!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:53 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Apparently McLaren ran out of front wings so Alonso was using one from last year that they didn't know how to set up with the car.

Still gets 8th from the pit lane. :lol:

Well, last year's car was a beast! 8)

Grosjean, Alonso & Verstappen I think.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:08 pm 

j man wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:

Yes a superb passing move. Very brave to commit to the inside after Hamilton attempted to close the gap and then made sure Hamilton couldn't come back at him in the next straight. Perfectly executed.

:thumbup:

VET, champ-like drive.

VER, not dotd for me, because he hit and destabilized Raikkonen at the pass. Still, very solid race controlled everything and deserved the win

GRO got first points, and than with nothing less then with the 4th place.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:10 pm 

Zoue wrote:
he got overtaken long before his tyres were a problem.

You're right it wasn't the tires. Hamilton got slowed through the penultimate corner when Ricciardo pitted and that got Vettel in close for the DRS. It was still a very nice move and later Vettel got held slightly at the same point putting Hamilton back into DRS but the Merc couldn't capitalise.