planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:15 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:
What a close qualifying! Was on the edge of my seat. Well done to Hamilton, great lap in the end. I'm surprised Kimi came 3rd, as he went purple in S1 and S3 - must have had a relatively poor S2. But the cars look pretty equal here, which I was not expecting! Great qualifying

I was just going to ask the question on Kimi's sector 2, will be interesting to see the sector times. Enjoyed that quali.

I think he lost two tenths in sector two.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:24 pm 

Ham smashed the previous Silverstone lap record by 5 seconds 8O

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:27 pm 

Ocon wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:
What a close qualifying! Was on the edge of my seat. Well done to Hamilton, great lap in the end. I'm surprised Kimi came 3rd, as he went purple in S1 and S3 - must have had a relatively poor S2. But the cars look pretty equal here, which I was not expecting! Great qualifying

I was just going to ask the question on Kimi's sector 2, will be interesting to see the sector times. Enjoyed that quali.

If true he lost pole again then.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:29 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
Ocon wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Yeah, probably.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:35 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
Kimi doesn't have the new Ferrari engine either does he?

That's a very good question. I don't think he does. But IIRC the Ferrari upgrade focused more on economy and efficiency upgrades, rather than raw power. So the race tomorrow might see Kimi not being as fuel efficient as Vettel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:35 pm 

Ocon wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Ocon wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Yeah, probably.

Dang

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:36 pm 

Did Ricciardo have a problem? It's almost embarrassing how much quicker Verstappen is than him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:36 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
Did Ricciardo have a problem? It's almost embarrassing how much quicker Verstappen is than him.

I think he had a DRS issue. Not 100% certain but think I saw a report to that effect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:40 pm 

That would explain it. The difference was 4-5 tenths in each q session

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:51 pm 

Strategy will win the race. Or "bang" either on the engine bay or start crash.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:53 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:

Supposedly the problem would be fixed for his second Q3 lap. Horner commented on it during Q3.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:56 pm 

Red Bull were well off the pace today, with Daniel Ricciardo more than a second adrift in sixth.

He had a DRS issue but said: "It's a few tenths. It's not going to change the world for us. It's just a bit frustrating. We already know we're a bit off the pace down the straights so when the DRS wasn't working, it's just more frustrating more than anything.

He continued: "I'm really optimistic that it's not going to be a one-stop race. I think it's going to be hotter tomorrow so hopefully a two-stop works. We chose to save a set in Q2 for the race, so we're planning a little bit in advance. We're trying to make the most of the race."

http://www.skysports.com/f1/live-blog

confirmed, was DRS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:57 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Supposedly the problem would be fixed for his second Q3 lap. Horner commented on it during Q3.

He said that DRS wasn’t working on one of the straights and thought it was a software glitch and his car wasn’t detecting the zone.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:58 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Red Bull were well off the pace today, with Daniel Ricciardo more than a second adrift in sixth.

He had a DRS issue but said: "It's a few tenths. It's not going to change the world for us. It's just a bit frustrating. We already know we're a bit off the pace down the straights so when the DRS wasn't working, it's just more frustrating more than anything.

He continued: "I'm really optimistic that it's not going to be a one-stop race. I think it's going to be hotter tomorrow so hopefully a two-stop works. We chose to save a set in Q2 for the race, so we're planning a little bit in advance. We're trying to make the most of the race."

http://www.skysports.com/f1/live-blog

confirmed, was DRS

Can his DRS issue be solved? If not, he's prone to Haas cars onslaught! They're pretty close to him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:13 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

He said that DRS wasn’t working on one of the straights and thought it was a software glitch and his car wasn’t detecting the zone.

Right, but it's unclear whether he still had no DRS for his final lap.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:29 pm 

zack14 wrote:

The level of performance is scary with the cars now. The external shots of them going through Maggots and Becketts looks like something from a CGI movie sequence.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:08 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Blake wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Does that mean Mercedes has the best engine now?
;)

Yes that must be why all the Ferrari powered cars are in the top 10? ;)

Maybe, just maybe Ferrari give their customers same spec engine + software to optimise the engine performance and the customer cars build good chassis.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:21 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
Ocon wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Also looking at the purple sectors I would say that Ferrari had the edge it was just a case of stringing the lap together.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:23 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

I think he had a DRS issue. Not 100% certain but think I saw a report to that effect

He said it was alright for his second run.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:33 pm 

If Williams had only one decent driver ...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:38 pm 

Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Blake wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Does that mean Mercedes has the best engine now?
;)

Yes that must be why all the Ferrari powered cars are in the top 10? ;)

Maybe, just maybe Ferrari give their customers same spec engine + software to optimise the engine performance and the customer cars build good chassis.

Force India were the 4th fastest team at Monaco, on a track which is full throttle for 80% of the lap they were slower than Haas and Sauber, go figure?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:21 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:

Force India were the 4th fastest team at Monaco, on a track which is full throttle for 80% of the lap they were slower than Haas and Sauber, go figure?

Why choose Monaco?

Why not Melborne?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:24 pm 

What is it with these people here desperately trying to prove that the Ferrari engine is better than the Mercedes engine while no one in the paddock is saying that?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:32 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
What is it with these people here desperately trying to prove that the Ferrari engine is better than the Mercedes engine while no one in the paddock is saying that?

Horner did a chat with C4 from the pitwall saying that the Ferrari has been the better engine for at least the last 4 races, and looking at todays qualifying, on pure performance it's hard to disagree. Fuel economy could still be an issue (and we will find out tomorrow) but on the balance of things, it looks like Ferrari have made the jump.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:33 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
zack14 wrote:

The level of performance is scary with the cars now. The external shots of them going through Maggots and Becketts looks like something from a CGI movie sequence.

The lap record set by Alonso is a racing lap record. He did beat his own pole record though, just not by such a large amount.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:33 pm 

I think Ferrari has better engine mode now. Before this year Mercedes usually had almost 0.5secs in hand. I think hot weather is also helping Ferrari. It is going to be good race. It is amazing how much Saubers have improved this year 8O

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:37 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:

Oh please don't bring that toxic discussion in here, go ask in the http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14886&start=1080 thread. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:44 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:

I think it's just because the Mercedes V6 has been so infamously dominant in this era that now there's an engine at least very close to it there's more attention to it.

Plus the competitiveness of Haas and Sauber is being attributed to the engine, rightly or wrongly, so there's more attention again.

Personally I think the closer ties with Ferrari is helping the chassis side, you can't stop people talking and giving some pointers, especially if there are employee changes like we've seen between Sauber and Ferrari and the extra money is being wisely spent rather than some monster engine propelling them up the grid past other monster engine cars like Force India.

Both engines seem to have strengths and weaknesses, Baku was all Mercedes because of their ERS on such a long straight and their efficiency is (or was) better but Ferrari are supposed to be stronger in the mid to high power band I think they said and have a slight edge on outright peak power (or did).

This was before the relative Spec 2 upgrades though which were said to address the efficiency on Ferrari's side and I'm not sure what the Mercedes upgrade targeted tbh.

I don't think there's much in it at all either way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:52 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Horner did a chat with C4 from the pitwall saying that the Ferrari has been the better engine for at least the last 4 races, and looking at todays qualifying, on pure performance it's hard to disagree. Fuel economy could still be an issue (and we will find out tomorrow) but on the balance of things, it looks like Ferrari have made the jump.

I haven't watched it but apparently Davidson says the Ferrari engine is better in the quali comparisons, it's only what I have read and I will watch the video when I can. I only watched some of practice but Horner was saying how good the Ferrari engine was at Silverstone. Tbh I think there's nothing between it.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:52 pm 

Hamilton apparently wouldn't have been able to get pole without his biggest fans from what he said after he got it. His biggest fans seem to be at every race according to him. So he should maybe get pole everywhere :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:01 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Hamilton apparently wouldn't have been able to get pole without his biggest fans from what he said after he got it. His biggest fans seem to be at every race according to him. So he should maybe get pole everywhere :D

I'd love to see the telemetry readout showing the fans influence!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:01 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:

Actually that's pretty much what they're all saying...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:30 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Actually that's pretty much what they're all saying...

Actually it isn't at all : )
But many try to talk up the Ferrari engine for different reasons.

Has ayone heard anything more of Vettels injury?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:20 pm 

Great lap by Lewis but actually think the Ferrari is the quicker car. Watching the onboards you could see Lewis much more on the edge than Vettel and think track temps may play into Ferrari hands. Hopefully a great race

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:08 am 

sidders wrote:
Great lap by Lewis but actually think the Ferrari is the quicker car. Watching the onboards you could see Lewis much more on the edge than Vettel and think track temps may play into Ferrari hands. Hopefully a great race

Why do people say this, it's just simply different drivers with different driving styles.

Just like Button was smooth and gets the job done that way as well.

Vettel rotates the car with the rear, or go look at Kimi's fast laps he looks like he's not even trying.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:17 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

And god, don't forget. It was nice of god to help Hamilton to all his F1 wins, but it's just a shame he forgot to give even one tenth of the same treatment the thousands of people in England living below the poverty line.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:58 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
If Williams had only one decent driver ...

They have but he's always in the pits!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:09 am 

Zoue wrote:
Kimi said he locked his front into T16, which is a shame. Not a massive mistake as mistakes go, but happy to see him on it here

Wasn't it discussed in another thread that Kimi always managed to screw his final lap in Q3 all the time? Anyway, P3 is not a bad place to start as he's ahead of Bottas & the Red Bulls.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:24 am 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

From what I can see the Ferrari is quicker down the straights where as Merc through the corners.

Could well be down to downforce levels

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:28 am 

Hamilton lost time at turn 17 (2:47) just look at the over-steer he gets.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... p-analysed