planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:56 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:20 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
I would actually bring back 9-6-4-3-2-1. End of story. You want points? Shed some serious sweat.

While I prefer 10-6-4 for valueing a win higher, I don't really think this is a good idea. Attributing points to the 6 highest finishers came from a period when reliability was not as ultra high as it is these days. You would have even the decent midfield teams struggling to get a few points here and there and I don't think that should be the goal.

E.g. the number of points finishes for this season up until this point if 9/10-6-4 would be in order:
- Ferrari: 17/20
- Mercedes: 15/20
- RBR: 13/20

=> 60 points finishes over 10 races, 45 taken up by just 3 teams, that's 75%

Other teams:
- Renault: 4
- Haas: 5
- FI: 3
- McLaren, STR, Sauber: 1
- Williams: 0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:23 am 

Point system doesn't need changing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:51 pm 

mds wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
I would actually bring back 9-6-4-3-2-1. End of story. You want points? Shed some serious sweat.

While I prefer 10-6-4 for valueing a win higher, I don't really think this is a good idea. Attributing points to the 6 highest finishers came from a period when reliability was not as ultra high as it is these days. You would have even the decent midfield teams struggling to get a few points here and there and I don't think that should be the goal.

E.g. the number of points finishes for this season up until this point if 9/10-6-4 would be in order:

Other teams:

Bang on. In the late 90s and early 2000s as reliability started to improve you often had the constructors' championship for 4th downwards being decided by one freak result because the smaller teams so rarely scored points finishes.

The irony is that back in the days of the 9-6-4-3-2-1 system you didn't needed to "shed some serious sweat" to score points. You could just wait for the cars in front of you to break down.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:06 pm 

j man wrote:
mds wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Other teams:

Bang on. In the late 90s and early 2000s as reliability started to improve you often had the constructors' championship for 4th downwards being decided by one freak result because the smaller teams so rarely scored points finishes.

The irony is that back in the days of the 9-6-4-3-2-1 system you didn't needed to "shed some serious sweat" to score points. You could just wait for the cars in front of you to break down.

Even in 03 with points to 8th Sauber jumped from 9th to 5th in WCC in the penultimate race of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:45 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Even in 03 with points to 8th Sauber jumped from 9th to 5th in WCC in the penultimate race of the season.

And this is why making points so rare is a bad idea. It doesn't reward heroic drives, it rewards lucky races.

The current point system is great, except for maybe the gaps between the podium places being too small. I don't support extending the points: the top ten is enough for the midfield to fight over. If anything needs fixing, it's the fact that we have a two-tiered series at present with the top six spots guaranteed to be filled by the six drivers of the top three teams.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:43 pm 

Exediron wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

And this is why making points so rare is a bad idea. It doesn't reward heroic drives, it rewards lucky races.

The current point system is great, except for maybe the gaps between the podium places being too small. I don't support extending the points: the top ten is enough for the midfield to fight over. If anything needs fixing, it's the fact that we have a two-tiered series at present with the top six spots guaranteed to be filled by the six drivers of the top three teams.

Agree. The points system is one of the only things that sits just about right in modern F1!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:56 pm 

j man wrote:
mds wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

Other teams:

I was not very serious with the 9-6-4-3-2-1, and used it only because it would expose current weakness of F1 - we have clearly separated leagues that are here to stay. This is killing the F1. It is like classes in endurance racing. Only the first 6 cars matter, the rest are just making up the numbers. It stultifies any hope that 14 other drivers would be able to make any significant result, build a fanbase or becoming legendary. While there were years when 2-3 teams have won, the way to podium was much more easy. Yes, the odd result was MOSTLY due to retirements, but not always as today. You could expect extra effort either on national racetracks of the drivers, rain-masters to reign in rain, or a driver from a smaller team putting together an excellent race and mix up with big boys once or twice a year. Odd results were not odd, because they were expected and happened every approximately every other or third race. Today, no chance of anything like that, technology has killed it all. I hope it gets fixed. Changing the point system would not change anything. That's a wrong point to start the change.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:14 pm 

If it ain't broke don't fix it - that's how we got to today.