planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:46 pm 

F1nut wrote:
Terrific drive from Lewis.... despite his whinning

Some atheletes just need to vent, look at McEnroe as a prime example, always played better after a good rant. It doesn't sound great, is annoying even, but if that's what it takes then so be it. Podium roon will be interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:47 pm 

Here comes our resident 'find dark cloud attached to silver lining' chap!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:48 pm 

Lewis would have won that if not punted off. Even with the bad start.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:48 pm 

Has Hamilton skipped the interviews, that's not good if so?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:49 pm 

The mind boggles why Merc continually refuse to pit when the SC/VSC is called. Today, at the very very least, they should have split the strategies. The only explanation I can think of is that they were willing to crucify Bottas to allow Hamilton finish as close to Vettel as possible

FA#14

Last edited by mcdo on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:49 pm 

Yellowbin74 wrote:

how? Neither Bottas nor Vettel were slow, so how was he going to get by them?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:50 pm 

Really enjoyed that. I wonder whether or not Lewis would have won if he hadn't been hit. I think so tbh, but that's racing as they say

Poor form from Lewis to skip the Parc Ferme interviews, I looked up prices for the GP and any stands with a view of the podium/Parc Ferme are damn expensive.

People spent a lot of money to hear from there favourite driver.

Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lojik wrote:

Pretty ordinary form there.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:51 pm 

Inappropriate post removed

mcdo wrote:
The mind boggles why Merc continually refuse to pit when the SC/VSC is called. Today, at the very very least, they should have split the strategies. The only explanation I can think of is that they were willing to crucify Bottas to allow Hamilton finish as close to Vettel as possible

I doubt that's the case. They took a gamble and failed. Without pitting Bottas would have finished 2nd at best, so they clearly felt that a gamble for the win was worth it

Lojik wrote:

not good at all IMHO, partly the reason he will never be my favorite driver.....

Very unsporting from Hamilton.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:52 pm 

Thrilling, gripping race from the opening lap! Up there with China as the best of the season. The end with the Mercs and Ferraris battling was epic. Great job by Vettel. Controlled the race from the front and managed to handle the safety cars late that cost him track position. Honestly the safety car might have saved his win because I think he wouldn't have been able to make the 1-stopper work too well in terms of deg.

Excellent recovery from Hamilton. Ok he didn't get the win but this was maybe the first weekend all year where he really looked 100% vintage Lewis. First the brilliant Q3 lap yesterday to take poll and then after being taken out on lap one he recovers to 2nd with a combination of overtaking and making the tires last. Really limited the damage there.

From Kimi I am impressed with the last couple of races. He showed an aggression in this race that his fans have been begging for for years. He really seems to be going for it and it's great to watch. The old man still has pace in him and if he can maintain that aggression, he can continue to be a factor. It's nice to see Ferrari letting him have his own race of late.

I have to see what happened with Max and Daniel but it was an unfortunate race for Red Bull overall. They weren't even close in terms of pace. Also honorable mention to Leclerc for having a brilliant race. He would have been best of the rest without the wheel issue. Alonso also deserves praise for managing to score in that car. His pass on Magnussen was classic Alonso; very opportunistic.

That was poor form from Lewis to skip the interview. What about his fans?

Edit: Innapropriate Quote removed

Not fair. He's only human and he's clearly very upset. He obviously wants to compose himself before giving any interviews.

Honestly, I think some of you think these guys are robots and shouldn't be allowed to have emotions x(

Disappointed in Lewis behavior. Unfortunate.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:53 pm 

Edit: Innapropriate Post removed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:53 pm 

Edit: Innapropriate Post removed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:54 pm 

I know that Kimi was wholly at fault for his incident with Hamilton, but sometime I wonder it drivers could be a bit more careful not to squeeze other drivers and make some allowances e.g. for cold tyres, a possible lockup etc. Similarly for the Grosjean / Sainz incident. If Sainz had left a bit more space, then it wouldn't have mattered that Grosjean locked up a bit.

Ironically, Sainz made up many places at the beginning by avoiding trouble. Just a thought anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:55 pm 

Edit: Innapropriate Quote removed

Exactly!

zaar wrote:
That was poor form from Lewis to skip the interview. What about his fans?

I'm sure they'll survive. he'll no doubt give an interview later. i don't think he's the first driver ever to have skipped an interview

mkone wrote:
I know that Kimi was wholly at fault for his incident with Hamilton, but sometime I wonder it drivers could be a bit more careful not to squeeze other drivers and make some allowances e.g. for cold tyres, a possible lockup etc. Similarly for the Grosjean / Sainz incident. If Sainz had left a bit more space, then it wouldn't have mattered that Grosjean locked up a bit.

Ironically, Sainz made up many places at the beginning by avoiding trouble. Just a thought anyway.

Hamilton didn't squeeze Kimi at all though. Kimi just had some understeer there. Hamilton left a full car's width.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:56 pm 

Edit: Inappropriate Quote removed

That was weird, you said that before it came on screen...

sandman1347 wrote:
Thrilling, gripping race from the opening lap! Up there with China as the best of the season. The end with the Mercs and Ferraris battling was epic. Great job by Vettel. Controlled the race from the front and managed to handle the safety cars late that cost him track position. Honestly the safety car might have saved his win because I think he wouldn't have been able to make the 1-stopper work too well in terms of deg.

Excellent recovery from Hamilton. Ok he didn't get the win but this was maybe the first weekend all year where he really looked 100% vintage Lewis. First the brilliant Q3 lap yesterday to take poll and then after being taken out on lap one he recovers to 2nd with a combination of overtaking and making the tires last. Really limited the damage there.

From Kimi I am impressed with the last couple of races. He showed an aggression in this race that his fans have been begging for for years. He really seems to be going for it and it's great to watch. The old man still has pace in him and if he can maintain that aggression, he can continue to be a factor. It's nice to see Ferrari letting him have his own race of late.

I have to see what happened with Max and Daniel but it was an unfortunate race for Red Bull overall. They weren't even close in terms of pace. Also honorable mention to Leclerc for having a brilliant race. He would have been best of the rest without the wheel issue. Alonso also deserves praise for managing to score in that car. His pass on Magnussen was classic Alonso; very opportunistic.

:thumbup:

Kimi getting boos obviously (first time I've heard for Kimi though)!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:57 pm 

jimmyj wrote:
Disappointed in Lewis behavior. Unfortunate.

It's understandable and any other race I'd be fine with it. But for your home race in front of all those fans? Poor form.

The chap lost out on a win at his home race, something he admittedly values very highly.

A moment to compose himself shouldn't be seen as anything more.

Zoue wrote:
Yellowbin74 wrote:

how? Neither Bottas nor Vettel were slow, so how was he going to get by them?

I think his tyre management was better.

ALESI wrote:
frankwer wrote:
Are the Vettel from Egypt?

That was weird, you said that before it came on screen...

Sky's F1 twitter account also tweeted a picture of them on the podium a good minute or two before it came on my screen too...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:58 pm 

Yellowbin74 wrote:

Given his pace with a damaged car that is absolutely possible. Räikkönen robbed us of a fair duel for the victory. But his team is obviously happy with the gift he gave them. ;)

See, he's interviewing now. Thanked the crowd etc. So I think all the condemnation for daring to have emotions are a bit premature

Zoue wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
Hamilton being such a brat again. Everyone has incidents, but he can simply skip interviews now? Where's all the fake love he feels for the crowd now?
Not fair. He's only human and he's clearly very upset. He obviously wants to compose himself before giving any interviews.

Honestly, I think some of you think these guys are robots and shouldn't be allowed to have emotions x(

C'mon Zoue.

You surely can't justify that. That was just petulance and unsporting.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:59 pm 

"Interesting tactics from their side" ???

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:00 pm 

chetan_rao wrote:
The chap lost out on a win at his home race, something he admittedly values very highly.

Ignore the posters who just want to pounce on this like he committed treason. Anyone with any sense of what it's like to pour your heart and soul into something will understand that that's what this is about. He didn't want to have a microphone in his face until he'd had a moment to get himself together. Internet people can be absurd.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:00 pm 

Blake wrote:
"Interesting tactics from their side" ???

:lol: I know...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:01 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
IDrinkYourMilkshake wrote:
Hamilton being such a brat again. Everyone has incidents, but he can simply skip interviews now? Where's all the fake love he feels for the crowd now?

C'mon Zoue.

You surely can't justify that. That was just petulance and unsporting.

I strongly disagree. He's clearly a very emotional person - don't forget he choked back the tears after he got his pole yesterday- and I really don't understand why some people have such a problem with him taking a moment to compose himself. He interviewed fine on the podium and thanked everybody etc. No poor sportsmanship there that I can see, just a human being

FFS Suzie, how many seconds would you give Kimi? 20, 30, 40, 50....

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Yellowbin74 wrote:

Given his pace with a damaged car that is absolutely possible. Räikkönen robbed us of a fair duel for the victory. But his team is obviously happy with the gift he gave them. ;)

What damage? Also, Lewis' start put him at risk and behind Seb. There is no guarantee that Lewis would have won without the contact with Kimi.

Last edited by Blake on Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandman1347 wrote:
chetan_rao wrote:

Ignore the posters who just want to pounce on this like he committed treason. Anyone with any sense of what it's like to pour your heart and soul into something will understand that that's what this is about. He didn't want to have a microphone in his face until he'd had a moment to get himself together. Internet people can be absurd.

yep agree