planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:12 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:42 pm 

I was thinking that the fact that every team either has a merc, ferrari Renault or Honda engine, it can seem a little.. How to put it.. Lacking something

So I had an idea born from 3 previous examples, red bulls infinitive Renault engines, sabers alfa romeo ferrari engines and a rumor that if Williams had used Toyota in 2006 they would been labeled lexus

Surely, to get more brand names out there the engine manufacturers don't just give teams customer engines and that's that, have the teams label the engine after one of the other brands that company owns (and have that symbol and name on the car)

Granted I can't see Alonso driving a Mclaren Daica anytime soon but you get the idea, it would (albeit artificially) make the grid look a lil more diverse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:04 pm 

a mclaren mecachrome would be instantly challenging for wins surely. be like putting stripes on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:34 pm 

It might look more diverse to a very casual F1 fan but for me (and I would imagine for most on here) it would make literally no difference. I don't think I've ever referred to Red Bull's PU as anything but Renault regardless of how it is branded, and Sauber's Alfa Romeo tie-up (which doesn't actually extend as far as the engine anyway) hasn't done anything to mask the fact that they're Sauber.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:50 pm 

I sort of alluded to this sort of thing in the other engine topic.

Give me a McLaren Lada and i'm all in :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:12 pm 

Tbf the red bull infiniti/Renault thing was odd in the sense of it was infinitive everywhere except a little Renault logo on the cover instead of just leaving it infinitive branded.

But if they went more whole hog with it the way it seemed Toyota were planning with the Williams lexus aborted idea it would be good, I mean think on it it gets as many of the companies brands out there

Though what others brands can merc, Renault, Honda and ferrari use?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:32 pm 

Bobafett wrote:
Tbf the red bull infiniti/Renault thing was odd in the sense of it was infinitive everywhere except a little Renault logo on the cover instead of just leaving it infinitive branded.

But if they went more whole hog with it the way it seemed Toyota were planning with the Williams lexus aborted idea it would be good, I mean think on it it gets as many of the companies brands out there

Maybach, Nissan, Acura, Alfa/Fiat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:56 pm 

Daica, infiniti, maserati

And then of course could always badge engines mecca chrome, abarth, amg and mugen too if they wanna promote their performance brands

Vw if they ever joined f1 could probably populate the entire field with different brands

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:37 am 

When I saw the word "artificially" in the thread title I was ready to dismiss whatever this was going to be.

But I wouldn't mind if the engine manufacturers promoted other brands in this way.

Ferrari might have started a trend this year with Alfa Romeo. We'll have to see.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:34 pm 

I'd say it makes sense from an advertising perspective both from the the manufacturers point of view and Liberty's in marketing the sport with more sports car names in it.

I don't think it would ever work though for the simple reason that the commentators are almost guaranteed every race to constantly mention that although it's called an Alfa, it's really just another Ferrari etc. Which would almost instantly ruin the mirage that the idea is trying to accomplish.

I personally like the idea though as it may bring new viewers in who even after learning the truth behind the branding would continue watching if they liked what they saw.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:48 pm 

Caserole of Nonsense wrote:
a mclaren mecachrome would be instantly challenging for wins surely. be like putting stripes on it.

Didn't the Williams Mecachrome get within only a few (OK, a lot of) seconds of race wins?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:49 pm 

Hasn't Renault been doing that with Infinity?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:07 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
It might look more diverse to a very casual F1 fan but for me (and I would imagine for most on here) it would make literally no difference. I don't think I've ever referred to Red Bull's PU as anything but Renault regardless of how it is branded, and Sauber's Alfa Romeo tie-up (which doesn't actually extend as far as the engine anyway) hasn't done anything to mask the fact that they're Sauber.

Mind you calling their engines TAG Heuer's is about as ridiculous as, well a Renault watch!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:34 pm 

tend to agree with you here. Sauber has a Ferrari PU, whatever it says on the tin. And Red Bull Infinity was always Red Bull Renault to my mind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:41 pm 

Kev627 wrote:
Caserole of Nonsense wrote:

Didn't the Williams Mecachrome get within only a few (OK, a lot of) seconds of race wins?

Thing with them is that Renault themselves had pulled out and these were the old unit being built and run by Mecachrome (from what I remember) so a slightly different scenario.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:42 pm 

ALESI wrote:

Mind you calling their engines TAG Heuer's is about as ridiculous as, well a Renault watch!

TAG engines should be built by Porsche anyway!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:25 pm 

Bobafett wrote:

Mclaren Datsun!

I like this idea. While yes it’s artificial, I’m up for anything to get more manufacturers into the sport. Even if it is by name only.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:38 pm 

I think the idea is a farce. It would only serve to confuse the vast majority of F1 viewers. The more avid of fans, such as most of those on F1 forums, will know the truth. I'd prefer to forget trying to trick people into thinking they are buying an Alfa or Infinity that is developed by F1 teams.... As for artificial diversity... No thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:17 am 

Blake wrote:
I think the idea is a farce. It would only serve to confuse the vast majority of F1 viewers. The more avid of fans, such as most of those on F1 forums, will know the truth. I'd prefer to forget trying to trick people into thinking they are buying an Alfa or Infinity that is developed by F1 teams.... As for artificial diversity... No thanks.

It's the kind of pointless attempt to try give the appearance of excitement that's right up F1's alley, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:55 am 

bradtheboywonder wrote:
Bobafett wrote:

Mclaren Datsun!

I like this idea. While yes it’s artificial, I’m up for anything to get more manufacturers into the sport. Even if it is by name only.

To what end? What real purpose will putting a different badge on the same engine serve?

It'll all be a facade to con the less knowledgeable viewer into thinking the sport is well patronised by engine suppliers. Those of us that know the sport will be all to aware what the real story is & what a sad state the sport is in

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:58 pm 

If you want the grid to appear more diverse, build in parity, both technical and financial. That way, it would attract more manufacturers. This is one reason why many manufacturers are staying away from Formula One, because the chances of running out of patience and money is greater than the chance of any form of success.

Liberty are attempting to draw in more fans, but for any sport, the core of the sport must remain the main draw. If the actual on-track racing is boring, processional, and predictable, then no matter how you dress it up, it will not be sustainable for viewership.

Instead of throwing a fake name on a current engine, why not try to draw in more engine manufacturers?

I am a firm believer in treating the disease, not the symptoms.