planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:02 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:39 pm 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44913255

"The long-time chief executive of carmaker Fiat Chrysler, Sergio Marchionne, has been replaced due to ill health.

His health worsened in recent days after he suffered complications from surgery on his right shoulder.

Mr Marchionne, 66, has led the combined company for more than a decade and planned to step down as CEO next year.

He will be replaced by Mike Manley, the head of the Italian-American company's Jeep division.

"Unexpected complications arose while Mr Marchionne was recovering from surgery and... these have worsened significantly in recent hours," Fiat Chrysler said in a statement on Saturday.

"The Board resolved to accelerate the CEO transition process that has been proceeding over the past months."

Fiat Chrysler recalls 4.8 million US cars
Ferrari president 'encouraged' by talks

Mr Marchionne was also chairman and CEO of Ferrari. The sports car maker also announced a replacement, naming Fiat Chrysler chairman John Elkann as his successor.

In a statement, Mr Elkann said he was "profoundly saddened" by the situation.

"He taught us to think differently and to have the courage to change, often in unconventional ways, always acting with a sense of responsibility for the companies and their people," he said of Mr Marchionne. "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big news. Never knew he had health issues. Taking over from Luca Di Montezemolo in 2014, I believe he needs credit for the turn around of Scuderia Ferrari since they appeared to be in disarray back then with Dommencially, Mattiaci, Alonso and other personnel leaving back then. Hope he recovers, since this is very serious if he had to be replaced.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:00 pm 

I hope he will be OK.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:49 pm 

Hope he recovers well. Sounds like he picked up some sort of sepsis after shoulder surgery.

Manley on paper is a good pick to pick up the reigns at FCA. Haven’t heard anything about the guy who’s taking over Ferrari other than he’s another that also worked at Phillip-Morris at some point in the past.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:59 pm 

I am particularly worried as the wording, "health worsened in the last couple of hours" (not weeks or even days), does not sound promising at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:09 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
I am particularly worried as the wording, "health worsened in the last couple of hours" (not weeks or even days), does not sound promising at all.

Shoulder surgery should be quite routine. I am no doctor, but two things might have.

1. Complications during or after the surgery.

2. Or Segio has a much more serious condition than the public knows. I even has caught off guard other FIAT member.

Being replaced as CEO is an indication that is extremely serious hence the change.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:26 am 

Well as the article states the plan was for him to step down in 12 mths or so so maybe, as the operation didn't go exactly to plan, he's decided he wont be back.

Having said that though, when the term "these have worsened significantly in recent hours", and people start saying they're "profoundly saddened by the situation", it's usually not a sign things are going to end well.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:49 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
Having said that though, when the term "these have worsened significantly in recent hours", and people start saying they're "profoundly saddened by the situation", it's usually not a sign things are going to end well.

Yeah, those do give off a certain feeling. Good luck and best wishes to him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:12 am 

Italian media report that he is in an induced coma. I do wish him well, he did some brilliant management in his role in FIAT/Ferrari.

Somewhere else it was reported that he had a prostate issue as well, who knows really?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:26 pm 

https://thesportsrush.com/sergio-marchi ... eversible/

Really not looking good according to this.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:52 pm 

I really doubt his skills and dislike the guy, but I really hope he pulls through this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:58 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
https://thesportsrush.com/sergio-marchionne-in-deep-coma-condition-reportedly-irreversible/

Really not looking good according to this.

Gek, the induced coma. I hate seeing that; the number of people who come back from it is vanishingly small. :?

I was never a fan of Marchionne's management style in F1, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Hopefully he can recover somehow.

Quote:
An invasive disease emanating from the prostate had already spread in a devastating manner, but only discovered a short time ago.

Not a particularly long list of guesses what that's going to be.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:47 pm 

This latest news is so much worse than originally feared. I was never a fan but I do hope he bounces back and gets to enjoy a lengthy retirement

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:20 am 

"Gravely ill" is the latest sentence about him, induced come since Friday afternoon. Not looking god at all. :(
https://www.businessinsider.com/fca-ceo ... ort-2018-7

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:03 pm 

Wishing hope and strength for Marchionne and his family in what is a very difficult time.

I don’t understand the mindset of posters who feel the need to say things like “Don’t like the guy but I wish him well”. What bunch of sanctimonious faux sympathetic garbage. The family does not need your form of support. Better to say nothing at all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:06 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Italian media report that he is in an induced coma. I do wish him well, he did some brilliant management in his role in FIAT/Ferrari.

Somewhere else it was reported that he had a prostate issue as well, who knows really?

I disagree. His biggest decision was to peddle those tiny FUGLY little sardine can atrocities on this side of the pond using Jennifer Lopez's Chicken Legs in their marketing campaigns, and it's gone drastically wrong.
So much so that they are slated to cease all sales in the U.S. in the very near future.

Marchionne and di Montezemolo were at odds because di Montezemolo realized the importance of keeping Ferrari completely independent from the rest of the umbrella and maintain the prancing horse's exclusivity rather than follow what other manufacturers were doing to grow their footprint, when di Montezemolo had already helped transform Ferrari into the world's most power brand. While I wasn't a fan of how di Montezemolo ran the Scuderia in his final decade at the helm, he was light years better for the role than Marchionne.

Marchionne fired Marco Mattiacci almost 9 months after he was appointed TP by di Montezemolo and almost ruined the guy professionally. Then he appointed Maurizio Arrivabene who was is a Marlboro marketing guy and knows nothing about racing outside hanging out with the guys in red for a little over a decade. There's no way anyone can ever convince me the Scuderia is winning because of him and rather, they are doing well despite him and the improvements in their PU was in fact thanks to Mattiacci who began addressing the short comings of the PU immediately after realizing his guys got it wrong. That process was already well in the works, as were future chassis BEFORE Arrivabene was appointed as TP.

The man is so sharp he got himself arrested for littering via chucking his cigarette butt in public in a country where it's clearly prohibited.
Formerly being a high ranking individual at Phillip Morris, he had to know. Then again smokers are among the most selfish people I've ever encountered, and that includes my parents. So please realize, this is not meant to offend anyone, just stating my life experience on the matter.

As you can tell, I wouldn't rush out to call anything Marchionne has done "brilliant", outside work his way to the top, however he managed it,
but I also don't wish him ill and hope he pulls through.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:09 pm 

ETM3 wrote:
I don’t understand the mindset of posters who feel the need to say things like “Don’t like the guy but I wish him well”. What bunch of sanctimonious faux sympathetic garbage. The family does not need your form of support. Better to say nothing at all.

I'd say those posters are just being honest. Just because I don't like a person does not mean I think they deserve something like this, and I can very easily wish them well at the same time as disliking them. It's part of being a decent human being.

As for the family not needing it, gee, that's probably why I didn't write them a letter. I doubt they read P-F1.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:24 pm 

Sadly, this thread has gotten truly ugly. Even sadder is the fact that I am not surprised.

On a personal level, I hope that Sergio's health improves for his sake and that of his loved ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:33 pm 

I'm not going to remove any posts or edit anything, but can we please refrain from questioning Marchionne's managerial style further in this thread. By all means set up another thread to discuss this if you so desire, and we can duplicate posts to that thread.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:28 am 

RIP Sergio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:30 am 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44949996

Sad news for the Ferrari family.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:07 am 

Well we've been expecting this news for a few days now but still a sad day in Ferrari's history.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:24 am 

RIP Sergio

Could the thread be renamed by a mod?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:57 am 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... dead-at-66

Just for confirmation. Sad day, my thoughts go out to his family, friends and colleagues.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:59 am 

It was said that it was Marchionne that championed Leclerc to Ferrari for next year, now it's looking like Kimi will be retained for another year.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:32 pm 

RIP

What what I saw, he did a good job at Ferrari

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:44 pm 

Sad day.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:37 pm 

Truly sad news, may he rest in peace. Condolences to his son's and loved ones.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:15 pm 

Shocking news RIP

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:38 pm 

pokerman wrote:
It was said that it was Marchionne that championed Leclerc to Ferrari for next year, now it's looking like Kimi will be retained for another year.

I doubt that either one of the are thinking of that right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:04 pm 

Sad news indeed. He had a tremendous impact on the sport during his relatively short involvement.

People may question his management style but it was pretty much a requirement for his job. I would expect nothing less of the top man at Ferrari than to be solely looking out for Ferrari's interests; it is Liberty Media's job to determine whether those interests align with Formula 1's. And you cannot be an effective CEO without a ruthless streak, and Marchionne's ruthlessness may have made him a few enemies but it also made him very good at what he did and his career history speaks for itself. If anything I admire that he did not hide his character behind a camera-friendly facade as other business leaders in the sport might.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:26 pm 

Wow very sad to hear this. Life is precious and fragile. We need to remember that always.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:49 pm 

jimmyj wrote:
Wow very sad to hear this. Life is precious and fragile. We need to remember that always.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:58 pm 

I'm going to change our approach slightly to this thread in light of feedback. From this point on, anyone wanting to comment on Marchionne's managerial style, please open a new thread for it, even if it's positive. As much as it's nice to see those tributes, it's evidently a matter of opinion how good he was so they are better suited to a thread separate from one in which members are expressing their feelings for his passing.

I realise not everyone will agree here but there's no simple answer so this is the line in the sand I have decided on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:11 pm 

A good idea, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:12 pm 

New thread now live, it can be found here
http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15155

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:12 am 

Very sad, condolences to his family and friends.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:54 am 

Let’s not forget we have a thread dedicated to the management styling discussion. This is not the thread for that segment. Link can be found below

P-F1 Mod wrote:
New thread now live, it can be found here
http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15155

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:09 am 

RIP :( condolences to his family and friends.

He did an amazing job at Ferrari.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:33 am 

ETM3 wrote:
Wishing hope and strength for Marchionne and his family in what is a very difficult time.

I didn't mean any harm, sorry you understood it the wrong way.

I don't wish anyone goes through things like this. Regarding not liking the guy, I think it's a case of conducting business. I don't know him as a person, so I can't and won't judge his personality.