Please read the forum rules

What does Ferrari do with #2?
Poll runs till Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:58 pm
Keep Raikkonen for 2019 56%  56%  [ 40 ]
Hire LeClerc and discard Raikkonen 44%  44%  [ 32 ]
Total votes : 72
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:40 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Leclerc only drove 12 races so far. It's too early, he can be demoralized if under pressure keeps under-delivering or crashing.

Kimi.

My thoughts exactly. Just want to add that Ericsson isn’t much of a yardstick.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:17 am 

I did not expect anything less than Ferrari wanting to keep Kimi's services for next season at the very least.

Kimi and Vettel made that car quick this season. They have been struggling in the last few seasons, probably more because of the firepower in the back being less punchy than the Merc's power plant.

But with the engine coming on stream this season, the aero and handling of the red Scuderia plus the supreme driving skills of Kimi and Vettel, things are coming together for Ferrari to take both WCC and WDC in 2019.

Great that Ferrari will be the only team sporting 2 world champs as their driver lineup and let's not forget that Kimi is still Ferrari's reigning world champ.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:55 pm 

j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Quite simply, who better to keep Alfa Romeo in the public's eye than Leclerc? He has caught my attention, and I'm not alone. Why throw that PR-value away? What good would this year have been if you don't follow it up? By now Leclerc is an established driver in the team, and while there's little doubt he would do well at Ferrari, both teams can do with the stability keeping their drivers would bring.

Weird, I thought Leclerc would have liked being a future Ferrari driver learning his trade at the high end of the midfield, rather than an Alfa Romeo brand ambassador driving out of his skin for the occasional point

Actually I think it's a fair point. If Ferrari aren't going to put Leclerc a race seat then he's much more value to them in a car that bears one of their brands. He has been in contention for a points finish pretty much every weekend since Baku so it's not as if Sauber aren't giving him the opportunity to show and develop his skills.

I think Ferrari would learn more about Leclerc if they put him up against KMag at Haas.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 1st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:14 pm 

And I think Kmag will be more than formidable. He might do questionable things at times but he’s got brass ones and is hard nosed at running his race program and I think Leclerc fans might be surprised to see him having a difficult time beating Kmag.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:22 am 

As much as I would love to see LeClerc in a Ferrari I think he would be better with another season in either Sauber or ideally Haas.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:50 pm 

Ok, so when will the official announcement come??? I thought it would be last weekend at Monza. Reports from a number of sources suggest that Kimi was told last weekend that he no longer had a ride for next year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:13 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
Ok, so when will the official announcement come??? I thought it would be last weekend at Monza. Reports from a number of sources suggest that Kimi was told last weekend that he no longer had a ride for next year.

Yeah, by the sounds of yesterday's reports on the interwebs, Maranello sat last night and there would have been an announcement shortly thereafter....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:20 pm 

JamWalsh wrote:
As much as I would love to see LeClerc in a Ferrari I think he would be better with another season in either Sauber or ideally Haas.

Agree. Similar to Norris who I think would have benefitted from another season in F2 and Verstappen would have benefitted from more time in the junior categories, and even at Toro Rosso.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:26 pm 

JN23 wrote:
JamWalsh wrote:

Agree. Similar to Norris who I think would have benefitted from another season in F2 and Verstappen would have benefitted from more time in the junior categories, and even at Toro Rosso.

I kind of agree with both of you. Maybe this is more about what's best for Ferrari than what's best for Leclerc. I think a year at Haas (a team where he would regularly be in the points and might be able to sneak onto the podium once or twice if he gets lucky) might help to prepare him for what he's about to get into. He's joining the team with the top car at the moment to do battle with the likes of Hamilton and Vettel for the championships. Talk about being thrown into the deep end!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:34 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
JamWalsh wrote:

I kind of agree with both of you. Maybe this is more about what's best for Ferrari than what's best for Leclerc. I think a year at Haas (a team where he would regularly be in the points and might be able to sneak onto the podium once or twice if he gets lucky) might help to prepare him for what he's about to get into. He's joining the team with the top car at the moment to do battle with the likes of Hamilton and Vettel for the championships. Talk about being thrown into the deep end!

Yeah it's a lot of pressure and it might take him some time to adapt to that and the new team. Fans, media and Ferrari will have to be a little patient with him at first.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:56 pm 

JN23 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
JamWalsh wrote:

Yeah it's a lot of pressure and it might take him some time to adapt to that and the new team. Fans, media and Ferrari will have to be a little patient with him at first.

I actually think he'll do ok. With Red Bull going to Honda there will be little pressure from behind. Even the worst driver on the grid could finish 4th easily. Anything more than a supporting role will be viewed as a bonus. IMO it's a fairly low pressure scenario to walk into a championship winning car.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:07 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
JamWalsh wrote:

I actually think he'll do ok. With Red Bull going to Honda there will be little pressure from behind. Even the worst driver on the grid could finish 4th easily. Anything more than a supporting role will be viewed as a bonus. IMO it's a fairly low pressure scenario to walk into a championship winning car.

I think the pressure comes from the high hopes that people have for him and I do agree he'll be good for Ferrari, but might take half a season of settling in before he is able to challenge Vettel regularly.

I agree that he'll come fourth in the championship at worst.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:18 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
JamWalsh wrote:

I'd hesitate to make any assumptions about the Honda power unit. To my eyes, on power, they have already at least matched the Renault unit. Next year is another opportunity to improve further. I would not be surprised if they are even more competitive next season.

All things being equal though, I do expect Ferrari and Mercedes to be the top two teams again next year. That will mean Charles will have a regular opportunity to fight for wins/podiums. The truth is that, if he's as good as some people think, he'll be ready. Hamilton was ready when he was about a year older back in 2007 and he hadn't had a year in F1 behind him. Vettel in 2009 was also ready at the age Charles will be.

It's more about talent than experience. I think he'll be plenty quick right away. In terms of challenging for the WDC though; I'd be surprised to see that. I have to imagine that his lack of experience will hurt him in that respect and if Ferrari have the fastest car next year, Vettel will still be the favorite to take the title. That said, it might be another Hamilton/Alonso situation in the making...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:28 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
I'd hesitate to make any assumptions about the Honda power unit. To my eyes, on power, they have already at least matched the Renault unit. Next year is another opportunity to improve further. I would not be surprised if they are even more competitive next season.

All things being equal though, I do expect Ferrari and Mercedes to be the top two teams again next year. That will mean Charles will have a regular opportunity to fight for wins/podiums. The truth is that, if he's as good as some people think, he'll be ready. Hamilton was ready when he was about a year older back in 2007 and he hadn't had a year in F1 behind him. Vettel in 2009 was also ready at the age Charles will be.

It's more about talent than experience. I think he'll be plenty quick right away. In terms of challenging for the WDC though; I'd be surprised to see that. I have to imagine that his lack of experience will hurt him in that respect and if Ferrari have the fastest car next year, Vettel will still be the favorite to take the title. That said, it might be another Hamilton/Alonso situation in the making...

I think he will be mercurial. He'll fight for more wins that Kimi but will probably go missing more often as well. Although saying that before this season Kimi went missing for about 3 years. I definitely think he will be at least as good as Kimi. Don't forget drivers usually improve a lot in their second season.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:39 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I think he will be mercurial. He'll fight for more wins that Kimi but will probably go missing more often as well. Although saying that before this season Kimi went missing for about 3 years. I definitely think he will be at least as good as Kimi. Don't forget drivers usually improve a lot in their second season.

Yeah, I agree. I expect to see a couple of rookie mistakes from Charles. Maybe a crash or two where he loses a lot of points. I also expect wins and poles from him though. I think he'll be up to speed right away and that he will keep Vettel completely on his toes. I wouldn't be surprised if he matches Vettel for pace actually. If he's as good as everyone seems to think, that shouldn't be out of the question. Now beating Seb would be a surprise. I don't see that happening in his first year TBH but I won't say it's impossible.

I think he will easily be better than Kimi. As much though Raikkonen is having his first respectable season since coming back to Ferrari, the truth is that he has never troubled Vettel much nor did he trouble Alonso before that. He hasn't been performing at a very high level these last few years and Chalres will be an instant upgrade. He might be good for Seb too. Keep him on his toes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:03 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
I think he will easily be better than Kimi. As much though Raikkonen is having his first respectable season since coming back to Ferrari, the truth is that he has never troubled Vettel much nor did he trouble Alonso before that. He hasn't been performing at a very high level these last few years and Chalres will be an instant upgrade. He might be good for Seb too. Keep him on his toes.

The only problem with this line of thinking is that Seb hasn't exactly proven himself to perform well on his toes...

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:41 pm 

Exediron wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

The only problem with this line of thinking is that Seb hasn't exactly proven himself to perform well on his toes...

If Seb can't win the WDC in this car then Ferrari have a problem anyway. If Leclerc can match up well then that may solve the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:25 pm 

Agree on everything that has been said here!... :)
I love Kimi too bits, but he's not challenged Vettel or won any races sinces going back to Ferrari again. That surprises me a lot!! 8O

Have no doubt that Leclerc will win several races over a couple of years and with that in mind, Ferrari will already know that they have a world champion in their class, in the making. Who knows, if this does become a Hamilton/Alonso all over again, that must surely be good news for Ferrari and the fans of F1. :D Also if and when Vettel decides to retire, they already have a groomed driver in their team. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:11 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
JN23 wrote:
JamWalsh wrote:

Well that's how Hamilton started his F1 career and not even a rookie season under his belt, they tried to place Leclerc in the Haas but they wanted too much money from Ferrari.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:39 am 

I think leclerc could use another year under his belt. Unlike the affore mentioned, he wouldn't be going to a team where his patron is the team principle. I suspect Kimi for another year, besides, he has earned it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:31 am 

Kimi is driving very good this year. He has had 3 DNF to Vettel 1 DNF which was also a driver error. Especially in SPA he would have a good chance. I think decision has already been made in June or July by Ferrari president who passed away. Do not know why Ferrari did not announce it or Kimi announcing his retirement in Monza. That would have been ideal place to do so :uhoh:

Leclerc I am not sure is ready. He is definitely better than his teammate but that is not saying much. Against K Mag it would be good test for him. Like Perez or Grosjean who were not ready when they were in good teams. Leclerc might be dropped by Ferrari if he does not do well

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:19 am 

Noni wrote:
I love Kimi too bits, but he's not challenged Vettel or won any races sinces going back to Ferrari again. That surprises me a lot!! 8O

Have no doubt that Leclerc will win several races over a couple of years and with that in mind, Ferrari will already know that they have a world champion in their class, in the making. Who knows, if this does become a Hamilton/Alonso all over again, that must surely be good news for Ferrari and the fans of F1. :D Also if and when Vettel decides to retire, they already have a groomed driver in their team. :thumbup:

Given Vettel's bad blood with Mark Weber at RBR, I would see a feud with Leclerc as a real possibility if Charles asserts himself and challenges Seb for wins.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:58 am 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Kimi is driving very good this year. He has had 3 DNF to Vettel 1 DNF which was also a driver error. Especially in SPA he would have a good chance. I think decision has already been made in June or July by Ferrari president who passed away. Do not know why Ferrari did not announce it or Kimi announcing his retirement in Monza. That would have been ideal place to do so :uhoh:

Leclerc I am not sure is ready. He is definitely better than his teammate but that is not saying much. Against K Mag it would be good test for him. Like Perez or Grosjean who were not ready when they were in good teams. Leclerc might be dropped by Ferrari if he does not do well

Räikkönen drives the best car still he did not win a single race - despite his teammate being very error-prone - and is not in the wdc hunt. Not a "very good" performance in my books at all!
Time to try someone else.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:09 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
Noni wrote:

Given Vettel's bad blood with Mark Weber at RBR, I would see a feud with Leclerc as a real possibility if Charles asserts himself and challenges Seb for wins.

Vettel's bad blood with Webber had nothing to do with Mark asserting himself, though. Frankly Mark was never good enough to pose a threat and their falling out was as much down to Mark's behaviour in and out of the car, if not more so, as it was Vettel's. Ricciardo asserted himself against Vettel and there was no bad blood there.

Personally i think people are tending to put Leclerc on a pedestal I don't think he's earned yet. He certainly seems talented, but I think it's a bit early to start predicting how he'll perform against Vettel. It shouldn't surprise me if he performed no better than Kimi, in all honesty and I'm not sure this expectation that he's a superstar already is a bit premature IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:44 pm 

They can fix this by giving me the seat! Not that'll I'd be any good...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:52 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Noni wrote:

Vettel's bad blood with Webber had nothing to do with Mark asserting himself, though. Frankly Mark was never good enough to pose a threat and their falling out was as much down to Mark's behaviour in and out of the car, if not more so, as it was Vettel's. Ricciardo asserted himself against Vettel and there was no bad blood there.

Personally i think people are tending to put Leclerc on a pedestal I don't think he's earned yet. He certainly seems talented, but I think it's a bit early to start predicting how he'll perform against Vettel. It shouldn't surprise me if he performed no better than Kimi, in all honesty and I'm not sure this expectation that he's a superstar already is a bit premature IMO.

Best junior category record since Hamilton, that counts for something though it didn't do much for Vandoorne admittedly. He's also trounced Ericsson in a way that none of those before him have really managed to do. While none of that points to being able to go head to head with Vettel right out of the blocks, the people in the know at Ferrari must have liked something in the data to be considering (going through with?) dropping their last WDC for him at such a young age, which is a really non Ferrari thing to do in recent history.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:58 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Noni wrote:

Best junior category record since Hamilton, that counts for something though it didn't do much for Vandoorne admittedly. He's also trounced Ericsson in a way that none of those before him have really managed to do. While none of that points to being able to go head to head with Vettel right out of the blocks, the people in the know at Ferrari must have liked something in the data to be considering (going through with?) dropping their last WDC for him at such a young age, which is a really non Ferrari thing to do in recent history.

yeah I'm sure he's good, but as you say Vandoorne had an excellent pedigree too but that didn't translate to doing well against Alonso. I'm just wondering whether the expectations for Leclerc might be being set a little high, that's all

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:22 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:

Räikkönen drives the best car still he did not win a single race - despite his teammate being very error-prone - and is not in the wdc hunt. Not a "very good" performance in my books at all!
Time to try someone else.

They are much closer to Mercedes this year but I am not sure they have the best car. Singapore should suit them better but other races it will be close. Only way Kimi can fight for win is if Vettel is some way behind him in the race which is pretty rare sadly. Without 3 DNF he would have been much closer to Vettel in the standings.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:53 am 

Zoue wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Noni wrote:

yeah I'm sure he's good, but as you say Vandoorne had an excellent pedigree too but that didn't translate to doing well against Alonso. I'm just wondering whether the expectations for Leclerc might be being set a little high, that's all

Stoffel was incredibly experienced for a rookie. That might somewhat explain how he was able to win in the junior formula. He had more experience than his younger and more raw rivals.

Leclerc acheived his excellent record very young. Not saying he's a guaranteed success or anything, just that he appears to have displayed quite some talent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:47 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:

Stoffel was incredibly experienced for a rookie. That might somewhat explain how he was able to win in the junior formula. He had more experience than his younger and more raw rivals.

Leclerc acheived his excellent record very young. Not saying he's a guaranteed success or anything, just that he appears to have displayed quite some talent.

Vandoorne wasn't incredibly experienced, he had 4 years of car racing before GP2 as opposed to the 3 years of Leclerc when he entered F2.