planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

How has your interest in F1 in 2018 compared to 10 years ago?
More interested 27%  27%  [ 15 ]
About the same 20%  20%  [ 11 ]
Less interested 53%  53%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 55
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:12 pm 

My interest is as strong as ever and I am finding this year year to be particularly interesting with the constant back and forth between Ferrari and Mercedes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:44 pm 

I’m every bit as passionate as I was when I began watching in the early 2000s, maybe even more.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:21 am 

I'm as interested as ever but not sure about the next 10 years looking at some of the proposals like Saturday sprint racing to form the grid for the GP itself taking away the essence of qualifying, if it starts to lose what it once was then that with the retirement of Hamilton I could see it becoming less important.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:23 am 

pokerman wrote:
I'm as interested as ever but not sure about the next 10 years looking at some of the proposals like Saturday sprint racing to form the grid for the GP itself taking away the essence of qualifying, if it starts to lose what it once was then that with the retirement of Hamilton I could see it becoming less important.

It started to lose what it once was the moment it was decided that economy and durability were more important than performance. The sprint idea is just a continuation of the philosophy that entertainment is more important than sporting principles, and this may be traced back to when they took the decision to introduce comedy tyres "for the show."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:21 am 

I voted Less Interested, but not massively less in the last ten years. From the 34/35 years ago when I started watching F1 to today I'd say I am currently much less interested for various reasons, most of which have been mentioned by posters already....

1. I support Williams. Do I need to expand any further on this given their performance over the last four or five years?
2. I don't/won't pay for Sky, so I can no longer watch all the races live.
3. Even when I CAN watch the race live, if I have something else to do I'll do that instead and watch it later anyway - whereas in the past I'd move whatever else I had to do to ensure I could still watch the race live. I'm not even sure why this has happened, priorities as I've grown up maybe?
4. Quality of racing just isn't what it was.

Number 4 I suspect is very subjective. I started watching F1 in the mid 80s, was a Williams supporter and also a big Mansell fan. The racing back then seemed so much more exciting than it is now. it probably wasn't most of the time, but I probably choose to remember it through rose tinted glasses?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:33 am 

j man wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Ten years ago I watched everything available. These days I record everything, and I can't even say I watch each race live. I now use the fast forward button while watching recordings.

The core of the sport is racing. While the drama, BS, and spectacle has increased, I watch for the racing, and that is very poor. I can watch other series that have a heck of a lot more intense racing and action.

But was the racing any better 10 years ago? I would argue that it wasn't.

I agree on your point, that the racing ten years ago was no better than today. But for myself, I have tapped into many other racing series, and watch them a heck of a lot more. My monthly consumption of racing has increased while the Formula One piece of the pie has decreased drastically.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:43 am 

SteveW wrote:
I voted Less Interested, but not massively less in the last ten years. From the 34/35 years ago when I started watching F1 to today I'd say I am currently much less interested for various reasons, most of which have been mentioned by posters already....

1. I support Williams. Do I need to expand any further on this given their performance over the last four or five years?
2. I don't/won't pay for Sky, so I can no longer watch all the races live.
3. Even when I CAN watch the race live, if I have something else to do I'll do that instead and watch it later anyway - whereas in the past I'd move whatever else I had to do to ensure I could still watch the race live. I'm not even sure why this has happened, priorities as I've grown up maybe?
4. Quality of racing just isn't what it was.

Number 4 I suspect is very subjective. I started watching F1 in the mid 80s, was a Williams supporter and also a big Mansell fan. The racing back then seemed so much more exciting than it is now. it probably wasn't most of the time, but I probably choose to remember it through rose tinted glasses?

I, too, started watching in the '80s. Not every race was perfect and I can't say it was always wall to wall action.

However, you always had the feeling that they were pushing the envelope and if they didn't go any faster it was because they physically couldn't. Nowadays you're often left wondering whether the cars were maxed out or whether they were cruising to conserve on wear and tear. There are some exceptions today, of course, but I do think the last century felt a lot more gladiatorial than it often does now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:54 am 

Zoue wrote:
However, you always had the feeling that they were pushing the envelope and if they didn't go any faster it was because they physically couldn't. Nowadays you're often left wondering whether the cars were maxed out or whether they were cruising to conserve on wear and tear. There are some exceptions today, of course, but I do think the last century felt a lot more gladiatorial than it often does now.

Or is it that the competitive aspect has shifted too much away from the drivers? In today's Formula One, all you need is a fast young driver who can manage the car's systems. All of the major and strategic decisions are now made by engineers back in the garage. Drivers push or do not push not based on their desires or opinion, but rather if given approval by the engineers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:04 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:

It started to lose what it once was the moment it was decided that economy and durability were more important than performance. The sprint idea is just a continuation of the philosophy that entertainment is more important than sporting principles, and this may be traced back to when they took the decision to introduce comedy tyres "for the show."

I think they were introduced to promote overtaking, the problem in the past has been cars unable to overtake one another.

In comparison with the recent past some of the qualifying systems have been awful, these designed basically to try and mix up the grid, this covers 2005-2009.

I can live with the tyres at the moment but if we ever get back to 2/3 stop races that's when it starts to become a joke, 2011 in particular was terrible all season, 2012 and 2013 were not that good either if I remember correctly.

Since the hybrid area the tyres needed to be stronger for the heavier more powerful cars, these have been far better.

Looking at the last race the drivers had to start the race on basically qualifying tyres which compromised all the drivers starting inside the top 10, for me that was farcical.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:27 pm 

I also started watching in the 80's but compared to today was totally naieve so I accepted everything for what it was, what I do remember back then that if you wanted to watch cars overtaking one another then watch Champ Cars.

Was it not Mosley in his defence of F1 when comparing racing in the States said that too much overtaking devalues the achievement of doing it, it should be something that is hard to do and when it happens is something marvelous to behold?

I do think there is some rose tinted glasses in play here, for every criticism of today's F1 it would be just as easy to pull apart F1 in the past, why it didn't happen is perhaps because there was no internet?

My only worry about F1 going forward is like Zoue said it becomes too much about entertainment and loses it's purity, what it's always been about, in this respect strange that any long time fan considers other race series to be better that are based purely on entertainment, for me F1 is still superior than any other car series.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:34 pm 

Out of boredom, I quit another hobby this year, and decided to look for more fun in F1. I bought a Roku, and can now watch all the practice sessions. And I decided to try my hand on GP Predictor, which is fun too. To the downside, the in-your-face, confrontational attitude in posts here are a downer.

I've followed F1 for more than 50 years now, and enthusiasm ebbs and flows, depending on which team/driver dominates (too much). While I fully recognized the dominance of the Schumacher era, at some point 7 WDCs got boring. At least one knows it won't last forever. For me it's a technology enterprise, and it just takes one team to pull a rabbit out of the hat to upset the apple cart and regenerate interest.