planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:45 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:28 pm 

Something caught my eye in an article on another topic regarding McLaren and a possible IndyCar entry:

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... 61/?nrt=86
Quote:
The second reason for McLaren to join IndyCar in either ’19 or ’20 is the budget cap set to be introduced to Formula 1 for the ’21 season. In order to not exceed this limit yet also keep skilled personnel, McLaren needs to find a new outlet for their talents.

This got me thinking, as it's a good point with regards to the budget cap, if we are likely to see the other big budget teams increase their presence in other racing categories? The dream scenario would be a Ferrari/Mercedes LMP1 entry for example.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:20 pm 

I'd love Ferrari and other big names to return to Le Mans, especially with the new regs coming in soon.

Either that or with the astonishing looking Monza SP1 and SP2 that they have launched this week!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:14 pm 

I think that to attract the big names to LeMans seriously they would need to restructure it into a whole season with good media coverage, in the F1 mold.

They want people to have their cars in mind and to most non followers of a particular type of motor sport LeMans is one weekend a year. The other enduro/sport/whatever are not automatically linked to the 1 event of 24 hours.

A season of shorter races and the classics spaced nicely cumulating in a double points Le Mans may have the attraction to viewers, if they can get a major broadcaster on board.

Would be nice, but it could not be a half arsed attempt or it would flop. Ferrari, Mercedes, Porsche Toyota, etc are well known to the general public and the real bread-and-butter race cars are not. Bringing in badges like Bentley, Aston, Jaguar etc would also be a draw, but would the general public warm to Ginetta or Dallara with one of these premium names on, and indeed would the builders be happy to do it?

The ideal would be a 3 or 5 year plan to set it up and get the general public interested, but then fitting a race into the sort of timeframe it would be allowed on TV would be a struggle.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:14 am 

Probably the first question that needs asking is that are we sure there'll be a budget cap introduced in the next few years?

I'm not so confident if the constructors attitude to changing the engine regs is anything to go by,

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:14 am 

Wasn't it said that one of the reasons McLaren/Renault/Williams blocked whatever aspect of the Force India takeover it was they blocked was because they were concerned about Force India becoming Mercedes B-team, and that Mercedes would use that as a way to get around a budget cap in a similar way Ferrari/Red Bull can with Sauber/Toro Rosso? Honestly, I think if a budget cap is ever introduced, the bigger teams are going to be falling over themselves to find ways to circumvent it, and it'll all get really messy really, really quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:12 pm 

Didn't Merc recently sign up for Formula E?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:55 pm 

moby wrote:
I think that to attract the big names to LeMans seriously they would need to restructure it into a whole season with good media coverage, in the F1 mold.

They want people to have their cars in mind and to most non followers of a particular type of motor sport LeMans is one weekend a year. The other enduro/sport/whatever are not automatically linked to the 1 event of 24 hours.

A season of shorter races and the classics spaced nicely cumulating in a double points Le Mans may have the attraction to viewers, if they can get a major broadcaster on board.

Would be nice, but it could not be a half arsed attempt or it would flop. Ferrari, Mercedes, Porsche Toyota, etc are well known to the general public and the real bread-and-butter race cars are not. Bringing in badges like Bentley, Aston, Jaguar etc would also be a draw, but would the general public warm to Ginetta or Dallara with one of these premium names on, and indeed would the builders be happy to do it?

The ideal would be a 3 or 5 year plan to set it up and get the general public interested, but then fitting a race into the sort of timeframe it would be allowed on TV would be a struggle.

Le Mans counts towards championship points and the WEC has made great strides over recent years. The new regs are another step in the right direction I believe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:47 am 

moby wrote:

LeMans is doing just fine on it's own. For many race fans, it is considered the biggest race of the year, myself included. The coverage is fantastic, Radio LeMans beat any Formula One commentators, and I can watch a heck of a lot on my computer. many teams stream their cars live.

LMP1 is fading away, and all indications are that the premier class will be transformed into racing versions of hypercars. And if that comes to pass (I give it very good odds) expect manufacturers like Mercedes field their Project One, Aston Martin/Red Bull the Vulcan, LaFerrari, and other major manufacturers jump in with glee.

The ACO run LeMans, and although they listen to the manufacturers, do not cater to them like Formula One does. Their method is simple, here is a racing class, let's see if you are up to it.

It is part of the WEC season, and it has more points allocated than any other race.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys watch anything than Formula One. Both Mercedes and Ferrari are up to their necks in endurance racing. So are Bentley, Ford, Honda, Jaguar, Lexus, Lamborghini, McLaren, Nissan, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Toyota, Lamborghini, and Aston Martin.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:11 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
moby wrote:

LeMans is doing just fine on it's own. For many race fans, it is considered the biggest race of the year, myself included. The coverage is fantastic, Radio LeMans beat any Formula One commentators, and I can watch a heck of a lot on my computer. many teams stream their cars live.

LMP1 is fading away, and all indications are that the premier class will be transformed into racing versions of hypercars. And if that comes to pass (I give it very good odds) expect manufacturers like Mercedes field their Project One, Aston Martin/Red Bull the Vulcan, LaFerrari, and other major manufacturers jump in with glee.

The ACO run LeMans, and although they listen to the manufacturers, do not cater to them like Formula One does. Their method is simple, here is a racing class, let's see if you are up to it.

It is part of the WEC season, and it has more points allocated than any other race.

Sometimes I wonder if you guys watch anything than Formula One. Both Mercedes and Ferrari are up to their necks in endurance racing. So are Bentley, Ford, Honda, Jaguar, Lexus, Lamborghini, McLaren, Nissan, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Toyota, Lamborghini, and Aston Martin.

This is what I have been hoping for for years. The proliferation of these hypercars over the last decade and the glaring lack of a series to actually race them in just screams for this. Most fans (myself included) would rather watch a P1 racing a 918 than to watch the less attractive looking prototypes.

Honestly, it will never happen but I would also love to see a sprint racing series with hypercars. One driver per car like in F1 or Indy but racing the most beautiful cars on Earth for like a 90-120 minute race. One can only imagine...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:15 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Honestly, it will never happen but I would also love to see a sprint racing series with hypercars. One driver per car like in F1 or Indy but racing the most beautiful cars on Earth for like a 90-120 minute race. One can only imagine...

If they could get some serious talent to race them, I would be all over that. And it seems like it would have the greatest possibile marketing impact on the manufacturers, since they'd be racing an actual, visible example of the cars they make and beating other manufacturers' cars in the process.

... On the other hand, maybe I've just said why it will never happen! How would Ferrari feel if the Porsche is demonstrably quicker than their LaFerrari, for example? 8)

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:34 pm 

Exediron wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

If they could get some serious talent to race them, I would be all over that. And it seems like it would have the greatest possibile marketing impact on the manufacturers, since they'd be racing an actual, visible example of the cars they make and beating other manufacturers' cars in the process.

... On the other hand, maybe I've just said why it will never happen! How would Ferrari feel if the Porsche is demonstrably quicker than their LaFerrari, for example? 8)

That last line is the clincher really. That or you end up trying to BoP them and get into all kinds of messes trying to do that.

Would love to see something like that though.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:59 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Exediron wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

That last line is the clincher really. That or you end up trying to BoP them and get into all kinds of messes trying to do that.

Would love to see something like that though.

I think you guys are right. It's a shame that they're so scared of each other but I just scratch my head that series like this don't exist. Don't get me wrong; I like endurance racing just fine but having a real driver's championship adds a LOT to a series and sprint races tend to be closer and more exciting. It's also far more digestible as an entertainment offering due to the length.