planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:29 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic

Driver(s) of the day was / were:-
1. Lewis Hamilton 29%  29%  [ 40 ]
2. Valtteri Bottas 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
3. Sebastian Vettel 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
4. Kimi Raikkonen 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
5. Daniel Ricciardo 34%  34%  [ 47 ]
6. Max Verstappen 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
7. Sergio Perez 16%  16%  [ 22 ]
8. Esteban Ocon 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
9. Sergey Sirotkin 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
10. Lance Stroll 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
11. Fernando Alonso 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
12. Stoffel Vandoorne 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
13. Pierre Gasly 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
14. Brandon Hartley 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
15. Romain Grosjean 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
16. Kevin Magnussen 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
17. Nico Hulkenberg 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
18. Carlos Sainz 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
19. Marcus Ericsson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
20. Charles Leclerc 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 138
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6953
Location: Mumbai, India
For me,

Hamilton, Ricciardo & Perez

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:48 pm
Posts: 378
UnlikeUday wrote:
For me,

Hamilton, Ricciardo & Perez


Yup, that sounds about right, seconded.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6209
Location: Michigan, USA
UnlikeUday wrote:
For me,

Hamilton, Ricciardo & Perez

Same for me. I'm guessing there'll be a lot of those.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23913
Ricciardo for me


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:06 pm
Posts: 2651
Location: England
Hamilton, Ricciardo and Perez

Think it'll be a popular trio

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2018: {Rookie Year}
Final positon: 1st | 3 Podiums | 2 Wins
2018 Pick 10 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:19 am
Posts: 988
Ricciardo here, hard to judge the Merc duo, cruising around with engines turned down?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 1467
Location: Far side of Koozebane
Ricciardo easily DoD today carrying on from his great drive in Russia.

Honorable mentions to Perez & Grosjean.

_________________
Question: If a compulsive liar tells you they're a compulsive liar, are they really a compulsive liar?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 2:04 pm
Posts: 2062
Hamilton and Ricciardo

Would have included Verstappen if not for his manoeuvre against Räikkönen.

Disappointing:
- Vettel - after his driving mistake in qualifying, he got presented P3 on a plate, just to single-handedly destroy this opportunity by yet another driving mistake. It is really getting comical.
- Hartley - started ahead of Gasly but ended up more than 20 s behind him, apparently just by being slow


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Posts: 2953
Location: UK
Ricciardo. Some excellent overtaking early in the race which ultimately earned him 4th place ahead of Raikkonen.

Special mention to Perez as well. I thought FI had blown it when they pitted and ended up at the back but the two of them did well to fight back through the midfield.

It also caught my attention that Ericsson was able to make the medium tyres last the rest of the race following his early pitstop while Leclerc was not.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6209
Location: Michigan, USA
j man wrote:
It also caught my attention that Ericsson was able to make the medium tyres last the rest of the race following his early pitstop while Leclerc was not.

Ericsson is very good at making his tyres last. A bit like Markelov in GP2/F2 - I think that's mostly his experience showing, but you do need to have talent on top of the experience.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:45 am
Posts: 627
Location: Michigan, USA
Ricciardo, Hamilton, and Perez.

_________________
Image
Pick 10: 1 win, 8 podiums | 2016: 22nd | 2017: 21st | 2018: 3rd |
[size=85]Top Three: 9 wins, 26 podiums | 2016: 9th [6th] | 2017: 16th [6th] | 2018: 4th [4th] |


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:19 pm
Posts: 350
j man wrote:
It also caught my attention that Ericsson was able to make the medium tyres last the rest of the race following his early pitstop while Leclerc was not.


Difficult to say for sure because of how badly Leclerc's race was compromised by Magnussen. Had he been running in the position he should have been then I've no doubt he would have been better able to make the tyres last.

In fact Charles would have beaten Marcus confortably even on a two stop had things gone more to plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 609
Location: Kansas
Hamilton, Ricciardo, & Grosjean
Hamilton and Ricciardo for the same reasons as everyone else.
Grosjean for the way he has turned a dreadful first half of the season around.

_________________
Mission WinLater


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 892
Location: UK
Ricciardo, great drive after the disappointment of broken engine, and he didn't hit anyone doing it!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:14 pm
Posts: 3477
j man wrote:
Ricciardo. Some excellent overtaking early in the race which ultimately earned him 4th place ahead of Raikkonen.

Special mention to Perez as well. I thought FI had blown it when they pitted and ended up at the back but the two of them did well to fight back through the midfield.

It also caught my attention that Ericsson was able to make the medium tyres last the rest of the race following his early pitstop while Leclerc was not.


Dude Ericsson ran into the back of Leclerc inexplicably and Leclerc got hit by Magnussen. How can you make that comparison? Leclerc's race was compromised so much because if Magnussen didn't cause significant damage to his car, Ericsson certainly did. . And let's face it, he is always in a different league as Ericsson. So whenever they are close, you have to know something is up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:24 am
Posts: 669
Hamilton Ricciardo and Perez. Who voted for Vettel and why?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23913
angrypirate wrote:
Hamilton Ricciardo and Perez. Who voted for Vettel and why?

I didn't vote for him, but it depends whether you consider him at fault for the incident with Max or not. If not, he had a fairly decent comeback and made some good passing moves


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:24 am
Posts: 669
Zoue wrote:
angrypirate wrote:
Hamilton Ricciardo and Perez. Who voted for Vettel and why?

I didn't vote for him, but it depends whether you consider him at fault for the incident with Max or not. If not, he had a fairly decent comeback and made some good passing moves

Im yet to hear a sports commentator make an argument that it was entirely Verstappen's fault. General consensus is that its somewhere in the region of partly Vettel's fault to completely Vettels fault. Anyway, theres a separate thread for this


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23913
angrypirate wrote:
Zoue wrote:
angrypirate wrote:
Hamilton Ricciardo and Perez. Who voted for Vettel and why?

I didn't vote for him, but it depends whether you consider him at fault for the incident with Max or not. If not, he had a fairly decent comeback and made some good passing moves

Im yet to hear a sports commentator make an argument that it was entirely Verstappen's fault. General consensus is that its somewhere in the region of partly Vettel's fault to completely Vettels fault. Anyway, theres a separate thread for this

I've heard a few saying it was a racing incident, including Charlie Whiting (although I'd agree that CW's not the most reliable source!), so it depends how much weight you put on a racing incident to affect eligibility for DotD. Regardless, I was just putting forward a potential reason for voting for him. I mean, Max has 3% of the vote at the time of writing despite arguably taking out two Ferraris, so clearly a clean race isn't the be and end all for everyone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:15 am
Posts: 1520
kleefton wrote:
j man wrote:
Ricciardo. Some excellent overtaking early in the race which ultimately earned him 4th place ahead of Raikkonen.

Special mention to Perez as well. I thought FI had blown it when they pitted and ended up at the back but the two of them did well to fight back through the midfield.

It also caught my attention that Ericsson was able to make the medium tyres last the rest of the race following his early pitstop while Leclerc was not.


Dude Ericsson ran into the back of Leclerc inexplicably and Leclerc got hit by Magnussen. How can you make that comparison? Leclerc's race was compromised so much because if Magnussen didn't cause significant damage to his car, Ericsson certainly did. . And let's face it, he is always in a different league as Ericsson. So whenever they are close, you have to know something is up.


I think j man had a perfectly reasonable point. Ericsson did pretty much no damage to Leclerc when he contacted him, but did to his own car. And Leclerc's comments talking about Ericsson in the interview afterwards was this "Well, in his defence, I think I was also quite surprised by how much everyone slowed down in the last point of breaking, so i nearly went into the car in front and then Marcus probably just ran that bit faster and ran into me. Hopefully it didn't end up any worse than that but I don't think there is anyone to blame there."

Leclerc pitted and got a new front wing (the only part that was damaged by the Magnussen - also neither were deemed at fault more than the other for this). After this, Ericsson did hit Leclerc, but only hit Leclerc's left rear tyre by the look of it. And Leclerc's pace after that still looked decent so given his front wing was fixed form Magnussens's contact and he got didn't really get any damage form Ericsson, I think his car was fine.

While Ericsson's pace wasn't clearly any better than Leclerc's he most certainly did manage his tyres better. While Ericsson isn't good at many things, this is one of the things he is often excellent at. I'd say that overall after they both pitted, Ericsson did a better job. But if that Magnussen clash hadn't happened, I think it is more likely that Leclerc would have beaten him. But then again, Ericsson has a huge amount of experience here even before formula 1. So if Leclerc did struggle a little like he did and Ericsson managed to do a risky strategy, it is also possible that Ericsson would have beaten him.

Also saying always in a different league to Ericsson is a bit silly. More like almost always. and that is in qualifying. There have been at least 5 weekends where Ericsson has looked better overall (one significantly better) and one or two others where their race pace has looked pretty even. In the races, I'd only say he's dominated him in about half of them. He's been much closer or better in some others. Still, I agree Leclerc is way better and will certainly improve.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lojik and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group