planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:14 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:07 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Chunky wrote:
I'm definitely no Vettel fan and this one was maybe 50/50 but all four drivers from Merc and Ferrari have had to excercise unecssary caution with Verstappen this season and last where they could expect better but still competitive driving from the more mature members of the grid.

Something tells me that once the WDC is decided (or maybe the WCC to be on the safe side) Verstappen will get his elbows out as usual but either Vettel or Hamilton will put him into the Armco. My money's on Vettel.

Vettel has said he is going to have a quiet word to Verstappen about the incident, I would like to be a fly on the wall.
While I think it's good that drivers speak to one another, it should really be discussed in the official drivers' briefing. Verstappen's claim that you can't overtake where the incident happened, should be examined in the presence of all competitors. So even the GPDA is not a good enough forum to do so.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:23 pm 

Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Chunky wrote:
I'm definitely no Vettel fan and this one was maybe 50/50 but all four drivers from Merc and Ferrari have had to excercise unecssary caution with Verstappen this season and last where they could expect better but still competitive driving from the more mature members of the grid.

Something tells me that once the WDC is decided (or maybe the WCC to be on the safe side) Verstappen will get his elbows out as usual but either Vettel or Hamilton will put him into the Armco. My money's on Vettel.

Vettel has said he is going to have a quiet word to Verstappen about the incident, I would like to be a fly on the wall.
While I think it's good that drivers speak to one another, it should really be discussed in the official drivers' briefing. Verstappen's claim that you can't overtake where the incident happened, should be examined in the presence of all competitors. So even the GPDA is not a good enough forum to do so.

There were a few clips last year from the official briefings, do we still get these? It would be very interesting to watch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:30 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Chunky wrote:

There were a few clips last year from the official briefings, do we still get these? It would be very interesting to watch
Showing those should be a point of honour for the FIA!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:03 pm 

Both were slightly at fault. Racing incident.

Vettel and Verstappen are both the perfect examples of the golden boys favored by Red Bull Racing... A sense of entitlement and therefore bad judgment in head to head racing. This has come to pass as talent and, in the aberrant times we are living at the moment, even perceived as a welcome personality trait.

Sad.

Even accounting for Vettel's legitimate ambition to pass as soon as possible in order to keep his race alive, the place and the moment for the pass were very doubtful, most probably an outright mistake.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:22 pm 

-ZeroGravityToilet- wrote:

Vettel and Verstappen are both the perfect examples of the golden boys favored by Red Bull Racing... A sense of entitlement and therefore bad judgment in head to head racing. This has come to pass as talent and, in the aberrant times we are living at the moment, even perceived as a welcome personality trait.

Sad.

Even accounting for Vettel's legitimate ambition to pass as soon as possible in order to keep his race alive, the place and the moment for the pass were very doubtful, most probably an outright mistake.

agree. also i think some vettel fans on here who, according to them, he can do no wrong are just deperately clinging on to the dream that he is one of the greatest drivers as it floats off into the ether. he is nowhere near. fast, very fast. but far far too error prone. whether or not they were his fault wholly or partially, it is the lack of judgement that really lowers his stock. maybe the red bull development does that. danny ric to a lesser extent with his dive bombs too. and they never believe they are in the wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:22 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Chunky wrote:

Yes, I agree. I loved the ones from last year, or the iconic ones from Suzuka '90 where Senna was blasting the FIA!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:29 pm 

Badgeronimous wrote:
Vettel has now went beyond the point where playing the percentage game matters. He had to get past there and pressure the Mercs.

Collision was Vettels fault but he was carrying a lot more speed and the door was wide open. However 4/5 times that pass doesn't work out.

I doubt Vettel would have tried that if he was still close in the championship, it seemed very much a last throw of dice.

Even as a last throw of dice it was a poor decision. Could have attempted it way more safely a couple of corners down the track, in the same lap!
Hell, he could have taken two-three laps to do it and still lose only a couple of seconds overall...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:54 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Yes, I agree. I loved the ones from last year, or the iconic ones from Suzuka '90 where Senna was blasting the FIA!!
I don't particularly see that one as very significant. At least not for Senna's viewpoint, or Piquet's for that matter. Although it did show the difficulty the FIA had in imposing its authority.

Badgeronimous wrote:
Vettel has now went beyond the point where playing the percentage game matters. He had to get past there and pressure the Mercs.

Collision was Vettels fault but he was carrying a lot more speed and the door was wide open. However 4/5 times that pass doesn't work out.

I doubt Vettel would have tried that if he was still close in the championship, it seemed very much a last throw of dice.

Even as a last throw of dice it was a poor decision. Could have attempted it way more safely a couple of corners down the track, in the same lap!
Hell, he could have taken two-three laps to do it and still lose only a couple of seconds overall...
Even after seeing it so many times, I still don't see how Vettel could be seen as having caused the accident. It is Max making contact.
Also, what makes you think Max would quietly have accepted an attempted pass a couple of corners down the track? He was defending going into Spoon; if it really would be impossible to pass, he should simply have let Vettel overshoot and switch back. I think it is significant he never claimed the didn't see Vettel coming.

Taking it easy and sitting behind Max until he was ready to give in, Vettel would still have been taking life out of his tyres, with zero return.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:28 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Fiki wrote:

I don't particularly see that one as very significant. At least not for Senna's viewpoint, or Piquet's for that matter. Although it did show the difficulty the FIA had in imposing its authority.

Badgeronimous wrote:

Even after seeing it so many times, I still don't see how Vettel could be seen as having caused the accident. It is Max making contact.
Also, what makes you think Max would quietly have accepted an attempted pass a couple of corners down the track? He was defending going into Spoon; if it really would be impossible to pass, he should simply have let Vettel overshoot and switch back. I think it is significant he never claimed the didn't see Vettel coming.

Taking it easy and sitting behind Max until he was ready to give in, Vettel would still have been taking life out of his tyres, with zero return.

I can't see it as just Verstappen. I think both have shown, repeatedly, a very egotistical lack of awareness and sense of entitlement. And that this has caused the accident, both sharing responsibility.

Regarding the issue of whether Verstappen would quietly accept being passed, I have no idea if he would, but I fail to see how Vettel could have made the opposite assessment either (ie, that there wouldn't have been a better moment). In fact, if he saw a certain possibility at a pass in such a difficult corner, it would stand to reason that he could probably find a better place at some other point in the track, or a moment where he could be closer to Max's car...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:48 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Chunky wrote:

This is a bit like Vettel's chat with Christian Horner that got Kvyat relegated to Toro rosso I suppose. If you are going to have quiet word about the incident how come its all over the press? Surely if MV has done anything questionable it should be Horner doing the talking.
Anyway if it reduces incidents on the track then I suppose it has to be a good thing. Avoidable racing incident.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:55 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Chunky wrote:

This is a bit like Vettel's chat with Christian Horner that got Kvyat relegated to Toro rosso I suppose. If you are going to have quiet word about the incident how come its all over the press? Surely if MV has done anything questionable it should be Horner doing the talking.
Anyway if it reduces incidents on the track then I suppose it has to be a good thing. Avoidable racing incident.

How on earth does Vettel have the power to get someone sacked from his old team?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:08 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Chunky wrote:

How on earth does Vettel have the power to get someone sacked from his old team?

I wasn't implying Vettel was trying to get MV sacked, I just find it odd that Vettel believes it will make any difference. I'm sure senior drivers had words with LH in his early career but "the young don't always do as they are told" !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:12 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:

Out of interest do you believe Vettel got DK sacked then?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:20 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Badgeronimous wrote:

I can't see it as just Verstappen. I think both have shown, repeatedly, a very egotistical lack of awareness and sense of entitlement. And that this has caused the accident, both sharing responsibility.

Regarding the issue of whether Verstappen would quietly accept being passed, I have no idea if he would, but I fail to see how Vettel could have made the opposite assessment either (ie, that there wouldn't have been a better moment). In fact, if he saw a certain possibility at a pass in such a difficult corner, it would stand to reason that he could probably find a better place at some other point in the track, or a moment where he could be closer to Max's car...
On your second point, I would say that if an oppotunity arises, as it did here, Vettel didn't have a choice. He had to get past Hamilton. An in order to do that, he had to make use of the opportunity offered by Max's lack of speed and use what was left of his first set of tyres to get close to, or past, Bottas.

I don't understand your first point. Entitlement didn't cause the accident. Neither did lack of awareness brought on by an egotistical disposition.

As far as I can tell, the stewards didn't accuse Vettel of not being able to make the corner. And as far as I can tell from his on-board footage, Vettel didn't understeer into the Red Bull, or "drop off the kerbs" if you will. So what mistake has Vettel made? The stewards don't tell us.

From Max's on-board, I see that he is defending (he keeps closer to the middle of the track than the optimum racing line). Why, if you can't overtake in that difficult corner? And why turn in further, if you obviously know there is a car alongside, that is already up on the kerbs to give you room? I take it the stewards must have seen this too. So why say it was a racing incident? I would instantly believe that if Max had been surprised. But he wasn't, as he was actively defending.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:34 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Even assuming Vettel tried to which I would find very shocking, why on earth would Red Bull do it?

Kvyat got sacked because he was simply not cutting it against Ricciardo and they had Verstappen waiting in the wings who they believed to be a future star.

The decision may well have been made before Russia but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the final straw. If so I very much doubt the outcome was any different because he took Vettel out, I imagine it would have been much the same had he taken Rosberg out for instance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:47 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

No of course I don't. Why would Red Bull listen to Vettel? Red Bull just had a situation where they had a better driver in the B team than the A team and corrected that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:15 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Chunky wrote:

No, I have a feeling that the drivers were reluctant to express their views in front of the cameras?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:17 pm 

Sad.

I have a feeling the stewards took the view that one was as boneheaded as the other.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:21 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Badgeronimous wrote:

I can't help feeling that it's a matter of honour for Verstappen, if you try and pass him in a corner then don't be too surprised to find parts of your car missing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:23 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Chunky wrote:

That was hardly a quiet word with Horner as it was caught on camera on the Red Bull pit wall were Vettel was having a fair old rant.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:24 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Chunky wrote:

Yeah that actually didn't happen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:48 am 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Chunky wrote:

No, I have a feeling that the drivers were reluctant to express their views in front of the cameras?

It's a shame, it was quite enjoyable to see Vettel-Hamilton questioning each other in these meetings. Gives a bit of insight and shows how they also sometimes have the same difficult questions as we do (what's allowed and what's not?).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:08 am 

Siao7 wrote:
It's a shame, it was quite enjoyable to see Vettel-Hamilton questioning each other in these meetings. Gives a bit of insight and shows how they also sometimes have the same difficult questions as we do (what's allowed and what's not?).

Yeah it's a shame, but I'm glad they don't show them any more as they became just another tool to attack drivers with. Sometimes we get the (lack of) coverage that we deserve.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:37 am 

Lojik wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Yeah it's a shame, but I'm glad they don't show them any more as they became just another tool to attack drivers with. Sometimes we get the (lack of) coverage that we deserve.

It's true, but what would you rather watch, this briefing or some celebrity interview on the grid walk? You'll always have some debate with these things, this is why this forum exists, to discuss/exchange views!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:51 am 

Siao7 wrote:
It's true, but what would you rather watch, this briefing or some celebrity interview on the grid walk? You'll always have some debate with these things, this is why this forum exists, to discuss/exchange views!

I'll take the soon forgotten celebrity interview over a week or two of asinine back and forth between the warring factions of this place. And I certainly wouldn't describe it as debate. :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:07 pm 

Lojik wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

This is very true and I did that myself.