Grand Slams 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 141
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:36 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Johnson wrote:
Hamilton set another record this season, most wins not starting from pole position within a season - 8.

10 wins and 8 are not from pole, quite a crazy statistic.

He's had to do it because of the lack of poles, only 4. :(

Yes poor Hamilton having to make up for such a dog of a car. :-((

Yeah like it's easy to win 10 races from only 4 poles?

Tell that to Max who's won every race he's won without being on pole. I think he'd be happy for a car that can take four poles per season.

How many times have Mercedes tried to sign Verstappen?

He chose to drive for Red Bull so that's his choice.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:39 pm 

Invade wrote:
I don't think we can rule out the possibility that Mercedes nails 2021 and give Hamilton the chance for 9-10 WDC's. And yeah it could all end this year, but to me the possibility of a best case scenario for Mercedes isn't exactly low. I would though like to see Hamilton paired with say... Verstappen... come 2021.

The problem for 2021 is the big regulation change, even if Red Bull fail again next year you wouldn't necessarily know which ship to sail on for 2021.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:16 pm 

Wrong thread

Last edited by FormulaFun on Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:57 am 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Johnson wrote:
Hamilton set another record this season, most wins not starting from pole position within a season - 8.

Thoughts and prayers for the poor fella.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:10 am 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Johnson wrote:

No need. You have shown time and time again that Hamilton is always in your thoughts. I think we all know how much he means to you. Bless.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:21 am 

shoot999 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:

No need. You have shown time and time again that Hamilton is always in your thoughts. I think we all know how much he means to you. Bless.

Oh man, I love this particular thread!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:51 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Invade wrote:
I don't think we can rule out the possibility that Mercedes nails 2021 and give Hamilton the chance for 9-10 WDC's. And yeah it could all end this year, but to me the possibility of a best case scenario for Mercedes isn't exactly low. I would though like to see Hamilton paired with say... Verstappen... come 2021.

The problem for 2021 is the big regulation change, even if Red Bull fail again next year you wouldn't necessarily know which ship to sail on for 2021.

Aren't the engines mostly (if not completely) staying the same for 2021? I've not really had a chance to read the regulations properly yet but that was my understanding from the few articles I've seen on them. In which case it might make Lewis' choice a little less of a shot in the dark because we'll all have a good idea of how the teams compare on a significant part of the overall package.

If I were Lewis I wouldn't go anywhere. How can you have anything but complete faith that Mercedes, who have consistently turned up as the team to beat throughout the hybrid era, will be the team to best deliver on the new regulations?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:56 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Invade wrote:

Aren't the engines mostly (if not completely) staying the same for 2021? I've not really had a chance to read the regulations properly yet but that was my understanding from the few articles I've seen on them. In which case it might make Lewis' choice a little less of a shot in the dark because we'll all have a good idea of how the teams compare on a significant part of the overall package.

If I were Lewis I wouldn't go anywhere. How can you have anything but complete faith that Mercedes, who have consistently turned up as the team to beat throughout the hybrid era, will be the team to best deliver on the new regulations?

The engines are basically entirely the same.

The only reason to leave would be the added prestige of being able to win for more teams. There's nothing quite like winning the championship for Ferrari.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:58 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Invade wrote:

What if the Ferrari PU retains the advantage it has now for 2020, [with Ferrari] more or less guaranteed to head into the new era with by far the best PU?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:13 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Invade wrote:

The only reason to leave would be the added prestige of being able to win for more teams. There's nothing quite like winning the championship for Ferrari.

Can't rule that out, I suppose. Toto himself even said Lewis told him of that desire when they were discussing extending his contract so there is that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:35 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Invade wrote:

Can't rule that out, I suppose. Toto himself even said Lewis told him of that desire when they were discussing extending his contract so there is that.

I sued to think it was almost certain that Hamilton would drive for Ferrari at the end of his career but the way things have panned out he's spent almost his whole career with them as the closest competition. He may find it Psychologically more difficult now.

Personally, If I was Hamilton I could see the appeal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:37 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Invade wrote:

I was referencing Verstappen teaming up with Hamilton at Mercedes and were Verstappen might go.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Siao7 wrote:
shoot999 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Oh man, I love this particular thread!

As entertaining as this exchange may or may not be, it's basically become a playground fight with no relevance to the thread, so it's to go no further. That applies both to those who participated in it (pokerman, Covalent, shoot999) or anyone else who is thinking of add their 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:48 pm 

pokerman wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Invade wrote:

I was referencing Verstappen teaming up with Hamilton at Mercedes and were Verstappen might go.

I'm not sure Verstappen will end up a Merc at the same time as Lewis to be honest, he's probably gonna stay at red bull for 2021 because it's new regs and they are a top team, beyond that I can't see Lewis sticking it out long I think he'll retire before the 2023 season (although it would be really cool if he moved to williams or something for a couple years), we might catch Hamilton Vs Verstappen I'm Hamilton's last year and actually I want to see Russel or Norris in a top team as well i'd prefer to see Verstappen Vs Leclerc together at Ferrari, now that would be spicy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:22 pm 

FormulaFun wrote:
pokerman wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Invade wrote:

I'm not sure Verstappen will end up a Merc at the same time as Lewis to be honest, he's probably gonna stay at red bull for 2021 because it's new regs and they are a top team, beyond that I can't see Lewis sticking it out long I think he'll retire before the 2023 season (although it would be really cool if he moved to williams or something for a couple years), we might catch Hamilton Vs Verstappen I'm Hamilton's last year and actually I want to see Russel or Norris in a top team as well i'd prefer to see Verstappen Vs Leclerc together at Ferrari, now that would be spicy

Well that's basically what I also was saying regarding Verstappen, in respect to Hamilton it will be interesting to see what length his next contract is, either 2 or 3 years, 3 years takes him to 38 years old.

I have to wonder at what age a driver starts to decline, maybe because it's a nice round number surely a driver has to start to decline when he turns 40, certainly Schumacher wasn't as good in his 40s.

Most drivers don't seem to go past 37/38, Kimi being a recent exception but Kimi's not looked top tier for a few years now, however Alonso seems to think that he can come back into F1 in 2021 aged 40 and still be as good as ever.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:25 am 

pokerman wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Well that's basically what I also was saying regarding Verstappen, in respect to Hamilton it will be interesting to see what length his next contract is, either 2 or 3 years, 3 years takes him to 38 years old.

I have to wonder at what age a driver starts to decline, maybe because it's a nice round number surely a driver has to start to decline when he turns 40, certainly Schumacher wasn't as good in his 40s.

Most drivers don't seem to go past 37/38, Kimi being a recent exception but Kimi's not looked top tier for a few years now, however Alonso seems to think that he can come back into F1 in 2021 aged 40 and still be as good as ever.

Like all sport, it will change with person to person. Physiological and psychological factors.

Some drivers may keep near prime into their 40s, others maybe shot by their late 20s.

I think it would fair to say, that historically an F1 driver peaks in their early 30s and slowly fades from their mid 30s onwards, but everyones different.

Car #36 - Blog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:34 am 

To be honest in terms of quali pace he has declined I think, it's natural curve of drivers they come in the sport fast as ever and then gradually slow down on quali, but pick up better results in the race. Right now Hamilton is beatable in quali, but unstoppable in races, his race pace, consistency, race craft, tyre management etc. Is completely unfaltering, he's like a robot right now, and pretty much the reason he's won these last 3 WDCs. I think eventually we will start to see mistakes creep into his game, and at that point he is declining and will probably retire.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:35 pm 

Badgeronimous wrote:
pokerman wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Like all sport, it will change with person to person. Physiological and psychological factors.

Some drivers may keep near prime into their 40s, others maybe shot by their late 20s.

I think it would fair to say, that historically an F1 driver peaks in their early 30s and slowly fades from their mid 30s onwards, but everyones different.

Yeah I would go along with that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:38 pm 

FormulaFun wrote:
To be honest in terms of quali pace he has declined I think, it's natural curve of drivers they come in the sport fast as ever and then gradually slow down on quali, but pick up better results in the race. Right now Hamilton is beatable in quali, but unstoppable in races, his race pace, consistency, race craft, tyre management etc. Is completely unfaltering, he's like a robot right now, and pretty much the reason he's won these last 3 WDCs. I think eventually we will start to see mistakes creep into his game, and at that point he is declining and will probably retire.

I'm not too sure about Hamilton having declined in qualifying, I think it kind of overlooks that the strength of his last 2 teammates has been very much as being strong qualifiers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:46 pm 

pokerman wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

I'm not too sure about Hamilton having declined in qualifying, I think it kind of overlooks that the strength of his last 2 teammates has been very much as being strong qualifiers.

:thumbup: :nod:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:05 pm 

Or/and Hamilton has slowly but surely more often geared his weekend toward race pace over qualifying pace. Just speculation.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:37 am 

pokerman wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

I don't think Hamilton has ever been as good in qualifying than he is in races. All his team mates apart from Button have done a lot better against him in qualifying than they do in races.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:50 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

I don't think Hamilton has ever been as good in qualifying than he is in races. All his team mates apart from Button have done a lot better against him in qualifying than they do in races.

Yeah, and Schumacher had way more wins than poles too. Both LH and MS had the ability to steal wins when their car wasn't quite the best at a particular track. They are both very good qualifiers but not in the same league as the likes of Senna for one lap pace.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:36 am 

F1 Racer wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

Yeah, and Schumacher had way more wins than poles too. Both LH and MS had the ability to steal wins when their car wasn't quite the best at a particular track. They are both very good qualifiers but not in the same league as the likes of Senna for one lap pace.

With Schumacher though they used race fuel in quali from 2003 so the stats are misleading. We also had a tyre war then the quite often the best tyre for quali would not be the best tyre to race on. That happened a lot in 2002 where Montoya got a lot of poles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:13 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

I would agree with that but it's a bit like the Alonso syndrome were he's seen as not being a good qualifier because of the lack of pole positions but it's more a case of having slower cars, with Hamilton the numbers say he's the best qualifier bar perhaps only Verstappen.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:16 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

To be fair to Schumacher I think there are some years were he was a victim of draconian qualifying systems used as a means to try and mix up the grids, in today's F1 I feel he would have had more poles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:17 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

With Schumacher though they used race fuel in quali from 2003 so the stats are misleading. We also had a tyre war then the quite often the best tyre for quali would not be the best tyre to race on. That happened a lot in 2002 where Montoya got a lot of poles.

I forgot about the tyre war were the Michelin tended to be the better qualifying tyre.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:54 pm 

I didn’t think that he’d break Schumacher’s WDC record but now I kind of do. I mean, who’s to say that Mercedes and Hamilton won’t continue to be the best package in 2021? There’s no evidence that they will suddenly stop being good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:57 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
I didn’t think that he’d break Schumacher’s WDC record but now I kind of do. I mean, who’s to say that Mercedes and Hamilton won’t continue to be the best package in 2021? There’s no evidence that they will suddenly stop being good.

He's the favourite for next year at the moment but obviously depends on car performance. Maybe we'll finally get the season long battle between Merc and Ferrari (and maybe Red Bull). Agree with you on 2021 though, they'll be in the leading pack, it's just whether they're the best or close to best.

I'm going to standby my prediction though that this will be Hamilton's last championship. Hope I'm wrong though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:15 pm 

13 months later...

World Titles: Schumacher 7; Hamilton 6
Race Wins: Schumacher 91; Hamilton 83
Fastest Laps: Schumacher 77; Hamilton 46
Podiums: Schumacher 155; Hamilton 150
Laps Led: Schumacher 5111; Hamilton 4425
KMs Led: Schumacher 24148; Hamilton 22406
Hat Tricks: Schumacher 22; Hamilton 14 (this hasn't changed)
Wins/Podiums in Consecutive Years: Schumacher 15; Hamilton 13
Wins at an individual Grand Prix/Circuit: Schumacher 8 (at France/Magny-Cours); Hamilton 7 (Canada/Montreal and Hungary/Hungaroring)
Consecutive Podiums: Schumacher 19; Hamilton's best is 16 (this hasn't changed)

And a couple of other records Schumacher doesn't hold:

Consecutive Wins: Vettel 9; Hamilton's best is 5 (this hasn't changed)
Consecutive Poles: Senna 8; Hamilton's best is 7 (this hasn't changed)
Grand Slams: Clark 8; Hamilton 5 (this hasn't changed)
[/quote]

He's also now just 11 races short of breaking Nick Heidfeld's record of 41 consecutive finishes, three races shy of breaking his own record for the most points finishes in a row (currently 33), will break the record for consecutive years with a pole if he gets one in 2019, and I'm sure there are dozens of other increasingly obscure/random records he's close to breaking.

Still amazes me to think he's never won more than five races in a row, though!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:35 am 

Consecutive years driving for a double championship team: 6

Pretty remarkable record in itself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:43 am 

Blake wrote:

Let's be real, Ferrari with an ounce of competence could have won the WCC in 18 and maybe 17

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:00 am 

Only driver in F1 to have won a race in every season that he competed in. This record could yet be at risk if he doesn't decide to go out on top. If he exits like Nico Rosberg, he will keep the record.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:07 am 

FormulaFun wrote:
Blake wrote:

Let's be real, Ferrari with an ounce of competence could have won the WCC in 18 and maybe 17

And at what point was I not being "real"? I

Care to point anything false in my post?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:12 am 

Blake wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Blake wrote:

Nothing false... The implication seemed to be that they have been winning at a canter which I would challenge, but if you weren't implying that then no worries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:20 am 

Blake wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Blake wrote:

Maybe he's trying to point out that without Hamilton in the car some of these double titles would probably not have not been won?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:59 am 

pokerman wrote:
Blake wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
Blake wrote:

Maybe he's trying to point out that without Hamilton in the car some of these double titles would probably not have not been won?

That’s true, but then again, the same could be said about Ferrari’s dominance in the 2000s. Barrichello finished 4th in 2000 and 2003, and in 2000 he finished behind both McLaren drivers. Schumacher made the difference just like Hamilton did in 2017 and 2018. That’s what great drivers do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:56 am 

Blake wrote:

Very impressive no matter how people word it.

Years driving for a title capable wining team = 8. Really impressive to win the title 6 times out of 8 times, losing out to a team mate Nico once and to Kimi in his first season of F1. Considering Michael Schumacher had more years in a title winning capable car losing out to Hill, JV, Mika and Alonso.

In fact, looking back. It would be Michael Vs (insert other driver/team). Now it's Lewis Vs (insert other driver/team).

Really does go to show how special Michael/Lewis are and we should appreciate the times.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:10 pm 

Teddy007 wrote:
Blake wrote:

Very impressive no matter how people word it.

Years driving for a title capable wining team = 8. Really impressive to win the title 6 times out of 8 times, losing out to a team mate Nico once and to Kimi in his first season of F1. Considering Michael Schumacher had more years in a title winning capable car losing out to Hill, JV, Mika and Alonso.

In fact, looking back. It would be Michael Vs (insert other driver/team). Now it's Lewis Vs (insert other driver/team).

Really does go to show how special Michael/Lewis are and we should appreciate the times.

Any reason you've omitted 2010 and 2012?

I know it's difficult to compare eras (which I don't), but just like Michael he is able to take on all newcomers and beat them; Schumacher took on Prost, Senna, Mansell, Hill, Villeneuve, Hakkinen, Montoya, Kimi and Alonso. Over the last 13 seasons we've had Lewis vs. Alonso, Kimi, Massa, Button, Vettel, Rosberg and now Verstappen and Leclerc over the next few seasons. I don't doubt that he will have the measure of them even if the new regs closes the field up. Lewis just has that extra 1% that will get him ahead 9 times out of 10.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:15 pm 

6 consecutive WDC/WCC titles sure is impressive but its not that unusual.

In the last 20 years. Red Bull did 4/4, Mercedes have done 6/6 and Ferrari did 6/5. In fact it’s pretty normal for teams to dominant for long periods. 16 of the last 21 years have been part of domination...

The exceptions are Alonso and Renault who themselves did 2/2 consecutively and Buttons and Kimis single years titles and Hamiltons 2008 WDC.

2007-2009 aside every WDC/WCC has been part of domination period this millennium...