planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:57 pm 

Ocon wrote:
chetan_rao wrote:
This is Hamilton being silly. Another win won't matter in the larger scheme of things. A DNF may blow this wide open.

Terrific from Max though, that was world-class defending.

I think Lewis could have passed there in normal circumstances. He was just too careful, he was doing everything to keep as much distance to Max's car as possible.

If it was a do-or-die pass to make, like Nico had to do in Abu Dhabi 2016, I think he would've made it stick too. Today was unnecessary, so gave it a good go and backed off when it didn't work. Fair enough.

He only needs what, an eighth place in Mexico to seal it? Bigger fish to fry.

Last edited by chetan_rao on Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:59 pm 

Max got anxious and made errors which gave Lewis the opportunity, but after gathering his bearing displayed racecraft which was a great match for his combatant.

Impressive.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:04 pm 

Wow Kimi finally won :D after missing out many times before. Top 3 had different strategy and were very close so great race. Ricciardo was unlucky to miss out. Vettel was again too impatient at the start but in the end did well in to overtake Bottas.

Last edited by Mercedes-Benz on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:05 pm 

Not a great day for Mercedes at all. They should probably have commited to a two stopper from the second VSC arrived. It was worth a punt to get track position but they munched through tyres today. I know Bottas compromised his race a bit for Hamilton's benefit but losing that place to Vettel despite an enormous advantage will put further doubts on his long term Merc future.

Strong recovery from Vettel. But he'll wonder what might have been after another wheel to wheel setback. Max was incredible and I wonder what Daniel might have acheived with better luck.

Kimi was so measured and that holding up of Hamilton was a tactical masterstroke and showed how fast that Ferrari is on the straight.

Obviously the title is even closer to being over. I expect Red Bull to be strong in Mexico which may see more Vettel vs Red Bull action.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:08 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Not a great day for Mercedes at all. They should probably have commited to a two stopper from the second VSC arrived.

I think they were completely blindsided by Lewis' poor tyre management.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:08 pm 

Why are they booing Lewis?

Actually Lewis is lucky he went wide because you know Max would have no compunction taking him out in desperation if he'd of gotten close to getting the pass done - Max had crap tires there at the end.

Great Job by Kimi today! Congrats on a beautiful win! Great comeback drive for Seb. Excellent drive from 18th by Max. Backward for Merc, but they will live to see another day.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:09 pm 

Invade wrote:
Thrilling! Fascinating race of strategy, tactics and racecraft.

A popular victory!

Absolutely the best race of the year so far!!! :nod:

Great passing and wheel to wheel battles. :thumbup:

Who'd have thought it would have been Daniel that Sebastian had an incident with?? :?

Last edited by Mort Canard on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:11 pm 

Toto just said on C4 that they gambled to go for the win with Hamilton pitting under the VSC but didn't answer whether they left Hamilton out too long before his second stop. He also said they didn't really have the pace today.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:12 pm 

Great race. A solid 9/10 for me. Not the result I wanted initially as I wanted Lewis to wrap it up but Kimi did a great job from the first lap and it seems Ferrari nailed the strategy so there are no complaints from me. Those last 10 laps! I was pacing around the room :lol:

I am actually glad Kimi won. He deserved it 100%

Last edited by Junglist on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:12 pm 

Ocon called to the stewards...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 pm 

If there was ever any doubt that this Ferrari was a potential title winner, it's been dispelled. If Kimi can win in it, it's usually a beast of a car.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:18 pm 

Martin Brundle is being a complete jerk. I mean, he finds a way to blame Vettel for every thing that happens on track. Claiming he is not beating up on him, but he is doing just that. Even the others admit he's being blind when it comes to Vettel. Fan boys should not be commentators.

Vettel and Ricciardo have contact and Seb spun, but no - it was Vettel doing something with his pedals because despite having that happen to him TONS of times and not spinning, it is his fault absolutely. This because when he has 3 last times, he does the same thing over and over and can't learn not do "do that with his pedals" cuz he is just that stupid of a 4 time world champion. I really am over Brundle.

Last edited by bourbon19 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:18 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:
If there was ever any doubt that this Ferrari was a potential title winner, it's been dispelled. If Kimi can win in it, it's usually a beast of a car.

Yes but I truly think Kimi did a very very fine job today. I don't doubt that Vettel in the same position would have had a little more pace but I can't fault Kimi's performance, really.

Great effort.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:24 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:

Still unhappy Kimi beat your guy all those years ago? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:27 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:

Well of course it could, but this race was won on strategy, im interested to have a look over the lap charts to try and determine whether Ferrari or Mercedes were faster this weekend as with them never being on the same strategy and it looking pretty close I think it's hard to call this one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:27 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:

Man you must really hate the guy, second timen in two pages you have put him down.

He drove a great race, he deserves the win. He is one of the best wheel to wheel races out there and is always nice to see Kimi and Hamilton go at it. If you cant give him credit when he deserves it (any driver for that matter), you are missing a good part of the enjoyment you can take from a race.

This race was one of the best races of the year.

Last edited by PRFAN on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:28 pm 

That race for Mercedes was as bad strategically as anything we have seen from Ferrari this season. But it will matter not a jot.

I know we are all great strategists in hindsight. Pitting Hamilton under VSC was absolutely correct IMO. But theu should have covered Max off by pitting earlier. The same mistake was made with Bottas. Had he emerged ahead of Verstappen at the first stop then things would have been easier for Hamilton. But the gamble was worth a go I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:30 pm 

Mr-E wrote:

My apathy for all things Kimi Raikkonen is only matched by Raikkonen's apathy towards F1. I don't understand the popularity of a man notable for his indifference toward the amazing life and career he has. It shows in his track record. 8)

EDIT: I apologise. I am fanboying hard because Hamilton didn't win #5.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:32 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:
Mr-E wrote:

My apathy for all things Kimi Raikkonen is only matched by Raikkonen's apathy towards F1. I don't understand the popularity of a man notable for his indifference toward the amazing life and career he has. It shows in his track record. 8)

Like signing for a midfield team rather than retiring because he loves driving F1 cars?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:34 pm 

Well done Kimi, but Vettel smh what the hell is going on there any slight touch on his car he gets into a spin cant just wrap my head around it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:35 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Like signing for a midfield team rather than retiring because he loves driving F1 cars?

Don't worry. I'm the one with a problem as I view his nonchalance as ungrateful entitlement.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:38 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
That race for Mercedes was as bad strategically as anything we have seen from Ferrari this season. But it will matter not a jot.

I know we are all great strategists in hindsight. Pitting Hamilton under VSC was absolutely correct IMO. But theu should have covered Max off by pitting earlier. The same mistake was made with Bottas. Had he emerged ahead of Verstappen at the first stop then things would have been easier for Hamilton. But the gamble was worth a go I guess.

There was no need to pit Lewis under the VSC
It compromised his race and pushed him into an extra pit stop
Had they left him out there’s a good chance he cut have over or under cut Kimi and won the race - He would certainly have finished no lower than second.
Having messed that up they then left him out too long before the second stop - in a word Sloppy

"It’s lights out and away we go”

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:42 pm 

Very exciting race! I have to say I'm a bit baffled by Mercedes from a strategy standpoint. There was a rather large window of time where they could have pit Hamilton and come out behind Raikkonen but ahead of Max. They missed an open goal here following the first lap incident from Vettel.

By the way it is really hard to believe that there was yet another incident from Vettel. Unbelievable season from him.

Lewis will feel frustrated by this one but he was smart not to really lunge it at the end. There's no need for that. He had the move but I don't think he trusted Max enough to be more aggressive there.

For Max, I have to say he had the performance of the day all things considered. Well done to hang on at the end there too and I think he deserved that podium finish.

I have to admit that I feel good for Kimi though. Winning a race has got to be cathartic for him after all of the struggles and being let go. It was well earned too. He made the one-stopper work and he was able to soak up the pressure at the end without putting a wheel wrong.

I have to admit to being a bit surprised at how difficult it was to overtake here. it just seemed to be a bridge too far unless you had a massive pace advantage.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:47 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

Well of course it could, but this race was won on strategy, im interested to have a look over the lap charts to try and determine whether Ferrari or Mercedes were faster this weekend as with them never being on the same strategy and it looking pretty close I think it's hard to call this one.

IMO the cars were equal in performance this race. But Kimi fully deserved the win. Mercedes could have gotten second if they pitted Hamilton earlier than they did. It made no sense to leave him out there and watch what was a 17 sec+ gap become 8 seconds. Not only he lost the position to Verstappen, but Bottas as well. That is just too much ground to lose and expect to make up. But Kimi did a great start (Hamilton's starts are still iffy, his only real weakness imo) and that was where the race was won. The work he did defending from Hamilton was also important. He really just had a great race. Good for him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:48 pm 

Xink wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

There was no need to pit Lewis under the VSC
It compromised his race and pushed him into an extra pit stop
Had they left him out there’s a good chance he cut have over or under cut Kimi and won the race - He would certainly have finished no lower than second.
Having messed that up they then left him out too long before the second stop - in a word Sloppy

Kimi had the softer tyres on so would've had to pit first. Hamilton couldn't win this race without overtaking Kimi on track. Merc took a punt and it didn't come off.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:53 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

IMO the cars were equal in performance this race. But Kimi fully deserved the win. Mercedes could have gotten second if they pitted Hamilton earlier than they did. It made no sense to leave him out there and watch what was a 17 sec+ gap become 8 seconds. Not only he lost the position to Verstappen, but Bottas as well. That is just too much ground to lose and expect to make up. But Kimi did a great start (Hamilton's starts are still iffy, his only real weakness imo) and that was where the race was won. The work he did defending from Hamilton was also important. He really just had a great race. Good for him.

I don't think it's about his poor start, but that 2nd phase off acceleration from Ferrari. Not the first time wee see Ferrari surpassing after some few hundredth meters.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:56 pm 

chetan_rao wrote:
Ocon wrote:
chetan_rao wrote:
This is Hamilton being silly. Another win won't matter in the larger scheme of things. A DNF may blow this wide open.

Terrific from Max though, that was world-class defending.

I think Lewis could have passed there in normal circumstances. He was just too careful, he was doing everything to keep as much distance to Max's car as possible.

If it was a do-or-die pass to make, like Nico had to do in Abu Dhabi 2016, I think he would've made it stick too. Today was unnecessary, so gave it a good go and backed off when it didn't work. Fair enough.

He only needs what, an eighth place in Mexico to seal it? Bigger fish to fry.

I agree.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:59 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Don't worry. I'm the one with a problem as I view his nonchalance as ungrateful entitlement.

He's Finnish. Not a people known for being highly emotive. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:02 pm 

F1Tyrant wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Not a great day for Mercedes at all. They should probably have commited to a two stopper from the second VSC arrived.

I think they were completely blindsided by Lewis' poor tyre management.

It wasn't well thought out at all, like Kimi in Monza he immediately burnt through his tyres, why not just cruise up to Kimi and then sit behind him waiting for Kimi to pit whilst baby sitting your tyres then you're a pit stop in front and then keep managing the tyres?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:04 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Toto just said on C4 that they gambled to go for the win with Hamilton pitting under the VSC but didn't answer whether they left Hamilton out too long before his second stop. He also said they didn't really have the pace today.

As I suspected yesterday Ferrari had the faster car.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:10 pm 

Bacus wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

I don't think it's about his poor start, but that 2nd phase off acceleration from Ferrari. Not the first time wee see Ferrari surpassing after some few hundredth meters.

Kimi just confirmed that it was the 2nd phase that put him ahead.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:12 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
Bacus wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

Battery power?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:12 pm 

pokerman wrote:
JN23 wrote:

As I suspected yesterday Ferrari had the faster car.

The pendulum has clearly swung back to them at this stage but it's too late in the season for it to matter in the WDC. Probably too late for it to matter in the WCC as well although t hat one will remain mathematically possible. IT would require both Ferrari drivers to have clean weekends though; which hasn't happened much recently.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:17 pm 

shoot999 wrote:
Bacus wrote:
kleefton wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
F1Tyrant wrote:

Watch Vettel aswell, in the 2nd phase he was very quick.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:28 pm 

The 2018 Ferrari is the most mysterious car in years

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:38 pm 

Great win by Kimi, the Ferrari is now approaching 2007 level and he likes it so he usually goes fast under those conditions, nice sharp driving and a good way to end his Ferrari career and rejoin Sauber on a high. He looks slim and fit too at 39 so it all came together finally in his second Ferrari career.

Vettel still just can't seem to out-race Ricciardo when it counts. He now needs to win the last three races and Hamilton only score 4 points in the coming races which is an eighth, unlikely but Hamilton didn't finish the last two races of 2007 so a lot of bad luck is needed on his part for Vettel to take an unlikely championship.

Mercedes chewed up their tyres in this race which allowed Ferrari to take the win even though Kimi started on the ultrasoft. Hamilton used an extra soft and a harder super soft than Raikonnen which was not good but I suppose the early stop helped to cause that. Normally stopping at a VSC gains you time but it was a tad early to make a single stop work and they waited too long for their second stop. Exciting race though for quite a while as it was not clear who was going to win until Max skillfully fended off Lewis. That was an 8 out of 10 as races go.

Last edited by mas on Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:43 pm 

mas wrote:
Great win by Kimi, the Ferrari is now approaching 2007 level and he likes it so he usually goes fast under those conditions, nice sharp driving and a good way to end his Ferrari career and rejoin Sauber on a high. He looks slim and fit too at 39 so it all came together finally in his second Ferrari career.

Vettel still just can't seem to out-race Ricciardo when it counts. He now needs to win the last three races and Hamilton only score 4 points in the coming races which is an eighth, unlikely but Hamilton didn't finish the last two races of 2007 so a lot of bad luck is needed on his part for Vettel to take an unlikely championship.

Mercedes chewed up their tyres in this race which allowed Ferrari to take the win even though Kimi started on the ultrasoft. Hamilton used an extra soft and a harder super soft than Raikonnen which was not good but I suppose the early stop helped to cause that. Normally stopping at a VSC gains you time but it was a tad early to make a single stop work.

Hamilton used an extra soft tire??? What is that? Hamilton started on Super Softs and went to Softs on both the next two pitstops. Kimi started on Ultra Softs and as I remember went to Softs on his pit stop.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:47 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
mas wrote:

Mercedes chewed up their tyres in this race which allowed Ferrari to take the win even though Kimi started on the ultrasoft. Hamilton used an extra soft and a harder super soft than Raikonnen which was not good but I suppose the early stop helped to cause that. Normally stopping at a VSC gains you time but it was a tad early to make a single stop work.

Hamilton used an extra soft tire??? What is that? Hamilton started on Super Softs and went to Softs on both the next two pitstops. Kimi started on Ultra Softs and as I remember went to Softs on his pit stop.

Assume that means an extra set of softs!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:49 pm 

Indeed, Hamilton was the only one of the top twelve to do two pit stops.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... mQAEG.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:52 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
The 2018 Ferrari is the most mysterious car in years

I read that they took off all the upgrades they had put on the car since Germany, and this was essentially a Hockenheim-spec car running in Austin. If true, that's a complete debacle for Ferrari's development department - regressing the car half a season makes it faster? And people complain about McLaren's development! x(

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)