planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

As a Ferrari\Merc fan would you swap Hamilton for Vettel for 2019?
Yes - Hamilton to Ferrari, Vettel to Merc (Ferrari fans) 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Yes - Vettel to Merc, Hamilton to ferrari (Merc fans) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes - Hamilton to Ferrari, Vettel to Merc (Hamilton fans) 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Yes - Vettel to Merc, Hamilton to ferrari (Vettel fans) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No - leave as is 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 7
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:50 pm 

I was just wondering specifically to Ferrari\Merc fans\followers if you would happily swap Lewis for Sebastian for 2019?

Please note this is from a constructors point of view not my favourite driver point of view.

I understand people have recently been very vocal on Sebastian's ability, but this guy is a 4 x wdc and I feel he would gel better with Merc than he does with Ferrari.

Lewis on the other hand can be a handful for team management but does deliver.

(edit as requested a driver fans point of view, I apologise as it will scrub off current votes)

Last edited by stevey on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:19 pm 

I know its kind of unrealistic poll but Hamilton to Ferrari at any point I don't see it.

Hamilton is Mercedes man through and through. As appealing as a title with Ferrari would be as a cherry on the top of his career, I don't see Mercedes ever allowing it. They will pay him what he wants and keep throwing money at the team as I see Mercedes wanting to at least equal Schumachers 7 WDC's and beat his wins total with Hamilton and firmly inprint there name at the very top of the sport in terms of accolades. Records that would take a very long time to break and the only driver with any chance of getting near them in the foreseeable future is Vettel.

Mercedes would have added bragging rights to claim all 7 WDC's as there own since they owned 40% of Mclaren and powered him to the 2008 title. Schumacher of course did 5x Ferrari and 2x Benetton.

Mercedes would loath for Hamilton to win say 5-6 WDC with them and then equal/break the WDC total in red. Mercedes are also quite firmly committed to Formula, 25 years now as at least an engine supplier.

If Hamilton was to retire at some point, Mercedes would love Vettel though. Firstly with him being German. A dream scenario for them would be Hamilton winning 7 WDC's then Vettel switching in and winning a couple with them and both being 1st and 3rd in the WDC table.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:23 pm 

Mercedes is obviously a better team but I think Vettel wants to win with Ferrari. Hamilton I think would love to drive for Ferrari.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:50 pm 

from a fans perspective would Ferrari fans swap Hamilton and Vettel for 2019?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:12 pm 

I can see why both constructors might warm to the idea, Ferrari would feel that Hamilton would be their best bet to get that 10 year monkey off their backs. Mercedes would have a very marketable German driver carrying their brand who is still young enough to go another 5 years.

It's the drivers themselves who would be against it I reckon. Vettel leaving Ferrari would feel like an admission of the pressure getting to him. Hamilton has a relationship with Mercedes that allows him to do all the side projects that take his fancy. I doubt Ferrari would be letting a driver launch fashion ranges in the middle of a tight championship.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:28 pm 

If Google Translate is doing a reasonable job of translating the comments sections of Italian newspapers, it seems the Italian fanbase has their knives out for Vettel at the moment and there is a shifting in the tide in opinion towards Hamilton. One Italian paper even ran the headline "Schumilton" after his win in Monza, which is actually a really targeted criticism towards Vettel as it is his desire to be the heir to Schumacher, whereas Hamilton favours Senna.

However, I do think the criticism of Vettel has been overly harsh this season, and there is no greater pressure in F1 than being the lead Ferrari driver of a Ferrari team not winning. Also, Ferrari did have a big set back with the loss of Marchionne, which - regardless of the operational vacuum left in Ferrari's structure - would have certainly have been a big hit emotionally for both Vettel and the team. Imagine in Jean Todt had died mid 2000, I think that it would have dramatically effected Schumacher's performances as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:46 pm 

Logically there is only one swap that could be popular at this point and that is Ferrari fans wanting the trade for Hamilton. I'm not really sure that Mercedes have many fans but I think that, if they did, they would say that they are all set with their lead driver. Neutrals would probably love to see Hamilton and Vettel swap too just to have an interesting thing to talk about.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:13 pm 

It's interesting how Hamilton often says he's been a Mercedes driver since he was 13. Whether this is his genuine belief or just some marketing/PR spin, it's clear that his image is built on an association with the Mercedes brand. Given how important his image is with all the marketing promotion he does I can't imagine him dropping it all to drive for another team, let alone one whose fans unconditionally hurl abuse at him at their home race every year. He'll retire a Mercedes driver I'm sure.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:42 pm 

Haven't voted, since I'm a fan of neither team. But I don't see Hamilton working at Ferrari. Vettel at Mercedes probably, but Ferrari is too controlling of an environment for Hamilton to thrive in. It would be like McLaren all over again, only worse.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:29 am 

Not really a Merc fan or a Ferrari fan, just a Lewis fan, so I voted leave as is.
But I would love to see Vettel at Merc and Hamilton at Ferrari. I think that would be fascinating to watch. I have noticed that Vettel this season has been rather complimentary of Merc publicly while also criticizing Ferrari on some occasions too. So not sure if there is anything to read from that, but let's just say I would not be shocked to see him in a silver arrow in the future. Though Lewis in red just seems so far fetched at the moment but I have no doubt he would deliver as long as the car is there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:12 am 

The reality is that it's never going to happen for 2019 or 2020 for that matter because of existing contracts, however 2021 is a different story.

Like has been said Vettel joining Mercedes in 2021 is a strong possibility but that probably requires Hamilton not being at Mercedes and in that respect I see that more as Hamilton retiring than going to Ferrari.

There is a chance he might consider winning with Ferrari to be a great challenge for his legacy, not only winning with Ferrari but also 3 different teams, but there might be an even greater loyalty to Mercedes to retire with that team?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:34 am 

Need two more options: Vette/Lewis fans.

I'm not a Merc or Ferrari fan; Lewis fan.. I'd be happy for a swap if the cars were exactly the same in 2019.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:12 pm 

Teddy007 wrote:
Need two more options: Vette/Lewis fans.

I'm not a Merc or Ferrari fan; Lewis fan.. I'd be happy for a swap if the cars were exactly the same in 2019.

I would have mixed feelings towards being loyal to Mercedes but also believing that the Ferrari will be the better car next season and Hamilton could win in that car which would further ramp up his legacy.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:40 pm 

I'm kind of there with you pokerman.

I think given the cars are closely matched I would LOVE to see Lewis in Scarlet Red, but at the same time Lewis is one who would be up to the challenge of helping any team work through issues to propel them towards the front. The thing with him is that he's so good that like Schumacher, he'd be able to drive around issues other drivers would not and they wouldn't feel like there was so much to update/upgrade/change and his teammate wouldn't be able to replicate his performance in the same car.