PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:54 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
For me,

Hamilton, Verstappen & Sainz

They are my three also :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:17 pm 

Sainz!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:23 pm 

That overtake on Bottas by Verstappen should win him the DOTD. I wasn't expecting that, superb.

Interesting how Ric gets votes, although I didn't see anything special.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:59 pm 

Bacus wrote:
That overtake on Bottas by Verstappen should win him the DOTD. I wasn't expecting that, superb.

Interesting how Ric gets votes, although I didn't see anything special.

For me the move of the day was double overtake by Vandoorne (on Grosjean and Ocon) - pretty good move, no idea why TV ignored it so much

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:32 pm 

Verstappen, Sainz and Leclerc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:42 pm 

I voted Ricciardo, Ocon and Stoffel, with thumbs up for Leclerc and Verstappen.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:43 pm 

Went Hamilton, Verstappen and Sainz. Nearly swung for Vandoorne, if only he'd driven like this more in the last 2 years, he wouldn't be out of a seat. Wonder how far up Leclerc could have gotten without the dodgy early pitstop too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:49 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
For me,

Hamilton, Verstappen & Sainz

:thumbup:
That's the way I see it. Honorable mention to Leclerc.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:13 pm 

Given the incredible performance needed to win the race and school the rest of the field like that, I'm assuming that Mercedes cheated and put Will Smith in the car, so why isn't he an option on the poll?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:38 pm 

Fiki wrote:

Care to elaborate why Ocon and Ricciardo? I really dont see it personally. Ocon had been decisively beaten by his teammate by the time he retired (Ocon was 9th on the grid, Perez - 14th). His drive was positively average. Also Riccardo got pipped by Max during the stops and failing to reclaim that last step of the podium in the closing steps. Also out-driven by his teammate.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:27 pm 

angrypirate wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Care to elaborate why Ocon and Ricciardo? I really dont see it personally. Ocon had been decisively beaten by his teammate by the time he retired (Ocon was 9th on the grid, Perez - 14th). His drive was positively average. Also Riccardo got pipped by Max during the stops and failing to reclaim that last step of the podium in the closing steps. Also out-driven by his teammate.

Well, like Vandoorne was. So, he is sort of consistent.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:06 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Given the incredible performance needed to win the race and school the rest of the field like that, I'm assuming that Mercedes cheated and put Will Smith in the car, so why isn't he an option on the poll?

Because he was clearly seen working as a camera man in the race!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:16 pm 

Voted for Hamilton. If Mercedes had two Bottases then we'd all be saying they had the third best race car today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:19 pm 

dompclarke wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

I did see that, so I assume they swapped him in during the pitstop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:44 am 

Sainz stood out the most to me, followed by Verstappen and Leclerc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:37 am 

angrypirate wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Yea Ocon should definitely not be anywhere near DOD. While thoroughly outperforming Perez in qualifying this weekend, he was for sure going to finish behind him again today. He seems to have a knack for messing up his races.

I thought Leclerc, Verstappen and Sainz all put in special performances. Lewis gets an honorable mention because he made it look so easy, but the Bottas train certainly helped out a lot. Ricciardo was good, but Redbull's strategy was always going to cost him, although with much fresher tires he couldn't make an impression on his teammate, which was rather surprising to me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:21 am 

kleefton wrote:
angrypirate wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Yea Ocon should definitely not be anywhere near DOD. While thoroughly outperforming Perez in qualifying this weekend, he was for sure going to finish behind him again today. He seems to have a knack for messing up his races.

I thought Leclerc, Verstappen and Sainz all put in special performances. Lewis gets an honorable mention because he made it look so easy, but the Bottas train certainly helped out a lot. Ricciardo was good, but Redbull's strategy was always going to cost him, although with much fresher tires he couldn't make an impression on his teammate, which was rather surprising to me.

Today's race proved Ocon is a good racer. Becauuse he started on (used)Hypers, he fell right to last place after his pit stop. He made some overtakes & did manage to reach P9 till his car gave way into retirement. I'm also assuming he let Checo trough (not seen on camera) as Checo was on (new)Ultras & could run deep into the race. BTW, Checo did well to finish in P8 from starting in P14.

In Abu Dhabi, it's hard to overtake which Grosjean & Magnussen proved inspite of having fresher tyres were stuck behind slower cars. Leclerc was even stuck behind Alonso inspite of being on fresher tyres. What worked for Checo was he had open space ahead of him & could lap as per his potential. Ocon was always behind some car or the other which is what compromised his overall pace.

Anyway, we all know Ocon is splendid in qualy whereas Checo is splendid in race pace. Ocon just got more footage as he was most of the time in battles & making overtakes! But Ocon did well & sadly, his final race for Force India resulted in DNF.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:22 am 

j man wrote:
Voted for Hamilton. If Mercedes had two Bottases then we'd all be saying they had the third best race car today.

No one would say this as the performance was there Bottas was just poor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:47 am 

Rockie wrote:
j man wrote:

He's the 1 driver going with immense pressure into 2019. He's first of all got Hamilton as a team-mate whose close to impossible to beat but he also knows Toto's itching to get Ocon onboard. If Bottas doesn't do well & is lower in the standings even than Leclerc, he's definitely in trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:35 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Rockie wrote:
j man wrote:

He's the 1 driver going with immense pressure into 2019. He's first of all got Hamilton as a team-mate whose close to impossible to beat but he also knows Toto's itching to get Ocon onboard. If Bottas doesn't do well & is lower in the standings even than Leclerc, he's definitely in trouble.

Bottas did a mistake at the beginning. He's nice, non-conflicting guy, good team player, following team orders without complains etc. which is good for Mercedes but tbh he's done in F1, I doudbt that he will find a seat after Mercedes, he will be out of F1 straight or soon after just like Kovalainen.
Hamilton din't make this mistake, he showed straight away he's not gonna be nr.2 to Alonso. This inside war cost McLaren a title but Lewis benefits from this later in his career.
Hamilton is not impossible to beat, he's very good but even Rosberg fought hard his way to equal treatment in the team just to beat Lewis and claim WDC, so it's possible, not easy but possible, but you need balls...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:52 pm 

Mayox wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Rockie wrote:
j man wrote:

Bottas did a mistake at the beginning. He's nice, non-conflicting guy, good team player, following team orders without complains etc. which is good for Mercedes but tbh he's done in F1, I doudbt that he will find a seat after Mercedes, he will be out of F1 straight or soon after just like Kovalainen.
Hamilton din't make this mistake, he showed straight away he's not gonna be nr.2 to Alonso. This inside war cost McLaren a title but Lewis benefits from this later in his career.
Hamilton is not impossible to beat, he's very good but even Rosberg fought hard his way to equal treatment in the team just to beat Lewis and claim WDC, so it's possible, not easy but possible, but you need balls...

...or just good luck and a dominant car?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:35 pm 

Rosberg gave it everything and then some, and still needed a bit of luck to overcome Hamilton. It took enough out of him to call it a day, i'd imagine in the knowledge that with a young family to look after that he simply couldn't go to the lengths he did that season (and reading about them, its incredible discipline) again. No shame in that at all, he sacraficed enough to get a bit back on the altar of luck. I don't think Bottas is either close enough to Hamilton pacewise nor as mentall disciplined as Rosberg had to be to work himself into a position where he could potentially be the beneficiary of any luck. These days there are now 2 other teams withing striking distance too, which now seriously punishes any number 2 having a bit of a weekend off. Rosberg could be half a second off of Hamilton in Qualy and still be on the front row, right now that kind of margin would be putting you third row.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:48 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Mayox wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Rockie wrote:
j man wrote:

Sorry but I'm not buying good luck. You can have good luck in 1 or 2 races not in 21. It's not like Lewis had horrible season, had car failures every 2 races like Ricciardo or something.
Hamilton in 2016 didn't finish only 2 out of 21 races. He won 10 races and finished on the podium 17 out of 21! That's actually a hell of a good season and you know what? It was not enough to beat Nico Rosberg. I'm not saying Rosberg destroyed Lewis or anything like that, I'm just showing that on equal treatment he can be beaten. And it happened because Rosberg was ready to go to war to avoid being number 2 driver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:29 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Mayox wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Rockie wrote:
j man wrote:

Do you think Bottas would have been close enough to win that title?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:34 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:10 am 

Mayox wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Mayox wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Rockie wrote:

Sorry but I'm not buying good luck. You can have good luck in 1 or 2 races not in 21. It's not like Lewis had horrible season, had car failures every 2 races like Ricciardo or something.
Hamilton in 2016 didn't finish only 2 out of 21 races. He won 10 races and finished on the podium 17 out of 21! That's actually a hell of a good season and you know what? It was not enough to beat Nico Rosberg. I'm not saying Rosberg destroyed Lewis or anything like that, I'm just showing that on equal treatment he can be beaten. And it happened because Rosberg was ready to go to war to avoid being number 2 driver

Hamilton had 4 races affected by engine problems, 2 races were I think he had to start from the back of the grid, this gifted Rosberg 3 wins I believe, the 4th engine blew up whilst he was winning the race and that was the turning point in the season after Hamilton had managed to comeback and get into the lead of the WDC, Rosberg had 100% reliability.

Without the unreliability Hamilton may have won as many as 14 races instead of 10, were would Rosberg have been then?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:15 am 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Mayox wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Rockie wrote:

Do you think Bottas would have been close enough to win that title?

With a car good enough to finish at worse in second place in 90% of the races and Hamilton's poor reliability who knows?

2014 is an example when Hamilton's car failed in the opening race gifting Rosberg the win then Hamilton had to win the next 4 races which give him a 3 point lead, with a dominant car reliability can make a big difference between teammates.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:18 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

You're black and I'm black, no one is going to know the difference. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:07 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Always thought of Will Smith as a pretty skinny dude. Look at him next to Lewis.

Source: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/11/25 ... 345569.jpg

Half a head taller and stouter build. (5 ft 8½ in versus 6 ft 2 in.)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:30 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
kleefton wrote:
angrypirate wrote:
Fiki wrote:

Today's race proved Ocon is a good racer. Becauuse he started on (used)Hypers, he fell right to last place after his pit stop. He made some overtakes & did manage to reach P9 till his car gave way into retirement. I'm also assuming he let Checo trough (not seen on camera) as Checo was on (new)Ultras & could run deep into the race. BTW, Checo did well to finish in P8 from starting in P14.

In Abu Dhabi, it's hard to overtake which Grosjean & Magnussen proved inspite of having fresher tyres were stuck behind slower cars. Leclerc was even stuck behind Alonso inspite of being on fresher tyres. What worked for Checo was he had open space ahead of him & could lap as per his potential. Ocon was always behind some car or the other which is what compromised his overall pace.

Anyway, we all know Ocon is splendid in qualy whereas Checo is splendid in race pace. Ocon just got more footage as he was most of the time in battles & making overtakes! But Ocon did well & sadly, his final race for Force India resulted in DNF.

You are absolutely correct. I had another look at his race and he didn't put a foot wrong, except for the penalty. It is just bizarre that he always seems to end up behind Perez in the races. Simply looking at the final results sometimes does not tell the full story though. So that was my bad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:51 am 

kleefton wrote:
It is just bizarre that he always seems to end up behind Perez in the races.

Most of Perez's teammates have ended up the same way. I think that's more to do with Perez being underrated than anything underwhelming about Ocon: Hulk had the same problem, and so did Button in no few races.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:04 am 

Exediron wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Most of Perez's teammates have ended up the same way. I think that's more to do with Perez being underrated than anything underwhelming about Ocon: Hulk had the same problem, and so did Button in no few races.

Yeah. Checo is well known for being good on tyres & because of this he can try odd strategies which could help him earn a podium that may come his way. Hulk & Ocon are definitely better in qualy & rain but Checo is good on tyres & in the race. 1 thing common between the 3 is their consistency!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 am 

pokerman wrote:
Hamilton had 4 races affected by engine problems, 2 races were I think he had to start from the back of the grid, this gifted Rosberg 3 wins I believe, the 4th engine blew up whilst he was winning the race and that was the turning point in the season after Hamilton had managed to comeback and get into the lead of the WDC, Rosberg had 100% reliability.

Without the unreliability Hamilton may have won as many as 14 races instead of 10, were would Rosberg have been then?

So Rosberg didn't have any problems at all and didn't lose some points because of unlucky circumstances (like Austria, Spain, Monaco, Canada?). I'm not also sure why you are 100% confident that Lewis would win a race without those issues as Rosberg showed this year many times that he was able to beat Lewis fair and square on track both in quali and race. Guess it's not the right discussion in 2018 Abu Dhabi GP topic anyway

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:07 am 

Mayox wrote:
pokerman wrote:

So Rosberg didn't have any problems at all and didn't lose some points because of unlucky circumstances (like Austria, Spain, Monaco, Canada?). I'm not also sure why you are 100% confident that Lewis would win a race without those issues as Rosberg showed this year many times that he was able to beat Lewis fair and square on track both in quali and race. Guess it's not the right discussion in 2018 Abu Dhabi GP topic anyway

In none of those races Rosberg had reliability issues.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:47 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
kleefton wrote:
angrypirate wrote:
Fiki wrote:

<Tin Foil Hat>

After exiting the pits, RIC was taking almost 2 seconds a lap of VES (and HAM for that matter).

Until...

He came within 1-2 seconds, just outside DRS range, and he immediately began lapping at the exact pace of VES.

Engine mapping change to avoid the two meeting?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:56 am 

Geckko65 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
kleefton wrote:
angrypirate wrote:
Fiki wrote:

<Tin Foil Hat>

After exiting the pits, RIC was taking almost 2 seconds a lap of VES (and HAM for that matter).

Until...

He came within 1-2 seconds, just outside DRS range, and he immediately began lapping at the exact pace of VES.

Engine mapping change to avoid the two meeting?

Typically, when getting within 1.5 seconds of the car ahead, your car would lose downforce & the tyres would overheat resulting in less grip. Another fine examples were Leclerc spending many laps behind Alonso inspite of making a pitstop & being on fresher tyres. Grosjean too was stuck behind a car & couldn't overtake.

1.5 seconds gap compromises a car's performance on a good overtaking track even, so it would be worse at Abu Dhabi which is infamous for allowing very less overtaking opportunities due to the layout.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:17 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Always thought of Will Smith as a pretty skinny dude. Look at him next to Lewis.

Source: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/11/25 ... 345569.jpg

Half a head taller and stouter build. (5 ft 8½ in versus 6 ft 2 in.)

Maybe when he was younger I reckon he must be about 14 stone?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:24 pm 

Exediron wrote:
kleefton wrote:

In head to head finishes it was actually 9-5 to Ocon.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:26 pm 

Mayox wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Austria he crashed into Hamilton, Spain he crashed into Hamilton, Monaco he was slow, I can't remember Canada but overall it looks like he had a healthy car.