20. Charles Leclerc 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 111
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:28 pm 

Geckko65 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
kleefton wrote:
angrypirate wrote:
Fiki wrote:
I voted Ricciardo, Ocon and Stoffel, with thumbs up for Leclerc and Verstappen.

Care to elaborate why Ocon and Ricciardo? I really dont see it personally. Ocon had been decisively beaten by his teammate by the time he retired (Ocon was 9th on the grid, Perez - 14th). His drive was positively average. Also Riccardo got pipped by Max during the stops and failing to reclaim that last step of the podium in the closing steps. Also out-driven by his teammate.

Yea Ocon should definitely not be anywhere near DOD. While thoroughly outperforming Perez in qualifying this weekend, he was for sure going to finish behind him again today. He seems to have a knack for messing up his races.

I thought Leclerc, Verstappen and Sainz all put in special performances. Lewis gets an honorable mention because he made it look so easy, but the Bottas train certainly helped out a lot. Ricciardo was good, but Redbull's strategy was always going to cost him, although with much fresher tires he couldn't make an impression on his teammate, which was rather surprising to me.

Today's race proved Ocon is a good racer. Becauuse he started on (used)Hypers, he fell right to last place after his pit stop. He made some overtakes & did manage to reach P9 till his car gave way into retirement. I'm also assuming he let Checo trough (not seen on camera) as Checo was on (new)Ultras & could run deep into the race. BTW, Checo did well to finish in P8 from starting in P14.

In Abu Dhabi, it's hard to overtake which Grosjean & Magnussen proved inspite of having fresher tyres were stuck behind slower cars. Leclerc was even stuck behind Alonso inspite of being on fresher tyres. What worked for Checo was he had open space ahead of him & could lap as per his potential. Ocon was always behind some car or the other which is what compromised his overall pace.

Anyway, we all know Ocon is splendid in qualy whereas Checo is splendid in race pace. Ocon just got more footage as he was most of the time in battles & making overtakes! But Ocon did well & sadly, his final race for Force India resulted in DNF.

<Tin Foil Hat>

After exiting the pits, RIC was taking almost 2 seconds a lap of VES (and HAM for that matter).

Until...

He came within 1-2 seconds, just outside DRS range, and he immediately began lapping at the exact pace of VES.

Engine mapping change to avoid the two meeting?

Ricciardo himself said he's tyres levelled out to the performance of the drivers in front.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:45 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Given the incredible performance needed to win the race and school the rest of the field like that, I'm assuming that Mercedes cheated and put Will Smith in the car, so why isn't he an option on the poll?

Always thought of Will Smith as a pretty skinny dude. Look at him next to Lewis.

Source: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/11/25 ... 345569.jpg

Half a head taller and stouter build. (5 ft 8½ in versus 6 ft 2 in.)

Maybe when he was younger I reckon he must be about 14 stone?

'net sources put him at just under 200 lbs. About 89 Kg. or yeah, about 14 stone.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:46 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Rosberg gave it everything and then some, and still needed a bit of luck to overcome Hamilton. It took enough out of him to call it a day, i'd imagine in the knowledge that with a young family to look after that he simply couldn't go to the lengths he did that season (and reading about them, its incredible discipline) again. No shame in that at all, he sacraficed enough to get a bit back on the altar of luck. I don't think Bottas is either close enough to Hamilton pacewise nor as mentall disciplined as Rosberg had to be to work himself into a position where he could potentially be the beneficiary of any luck. These days there are now 2 other teams withing striking distance too, which now seriously punishes any number 2 having a bit of a weekend off. Rosberg could be half a second off of Hamilton in Qualy and still be on the front row, right now that kind of margin would be putting you third row.

People already forgot, Bottas finished 58 points behind Hamilton last year and had 1 more DNF.

Apply 2016 levels of luck and Bottas would have beaten Hamilton last year or st very least taken the title fight to the final race. That being Hamilton having +1 DNF rather than -1 and ginving Hamilton 3x back of grid starts.

Bottas would have won the 2016 title or at least taken it to the final race. There were 7-8 “free” wins that year for the Mercedes second driver due to Hamiltons reliability and starts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:19 pm 

Mort Canard wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Given the incredible performance needed to win the race and school the rest of the field like that, I'm assuming that Mercedes cheated and put Will Smith in the car, so why isn't he an option on the poll?

Always thought of Will Smith as a pretty skinny dude. Look at him next to Lewis.

'net sources put him at just under 200 lbs. About 89 Kg. or yeah, about 14 stone.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:22 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Mayox wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Hamilton had 4 races affected by engine problems, 2 races were I think he had to start from the back of the grid, this gifted Rosberg 3 wins I believe, the 4th engine blew up whilst he was winning the race and that was the turning point in the season after Hamilton had managed to comeback and get into the lead of the WDC, Rosberg had 100% reliability.

Without the unreliability Hamilton may have won as many as 14 races instead of 10, were would Rosberg have been then?

So Rosberg didn't have any problems at all and didn't lose some points because of unlucky circumstances (like Austria, Spain, Monaco, Canada?). I'm not also sure why you are 100% confident that Lewis would win a race without those issues as Rosberg showed this year many times that he was able to beat Lewis fair and square on track both in quali and race. Guess it's not the right discussion in 2018 Abu Dhabi GP topic anyway

Austria he crashed into Hamilton, Spain he crashed into Hamilton, Monaco he was slow, I can't remember Canada but overall it looks like he had a healthy car.

He had a pretty scruffy race in Canada from memory after Hamilton was 'aggressive' with him at turn one which cost Rosberg a few positions I think. Don't remember anything being wrong with the car.

EDIT: Rosberg had a slow puncture which I didn't remember. He was 4th at the time and ended fifth.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:43 pm 

JN23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Mayox wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Hamilton had 4 races affected by engine problems, 2 races were I think he had to start from the back of the grid, this gifted Rosberg 3 wins I believe, the 4th engine blew up whilst he was winning the race and that was the turning point in the season after Hamilton had managed to comeback and get into the lead of the WDC, Rosberg had 100% reliability.

Without the unreliability Hamilton may have won as many as 14 races instead of 10, were would Rosberg have been then?

So Rosberg didn't have any problems at all and didn't lose some points because of unlucky circumstances (like Austria, Spain, Monaco, Canada?). I'm not also sure why you are 100% confident that Lewis would win a race without those issues as Rosberg showed this year many times that he was able to beat Lewis fair and square on track both in quali and race. Guess it's not the right discussion in 2018 Abu Dhabi GP topic anyway

Austria he crashed into Hamilton, Spain he crashed into Hamilton, Monaco he was slow, I can't remember Canada but overall it looks like he had a healthy car.

He had a pretty scruffy race in Canada from memory after Hamilton was 'aggressive' with him at turn one which cost Rosberg a few positions I think. Don't remember anything being wrong with the car.

In Canada he was bullied out of track by Lewis and got dropped like 5 positions on track where it's almost impossible to overtake. In Spain he crashed from the lead to the car behind 8O :lol:
Monaco he out qualified Lewis then Mercedes team orders forced him to let Lewis go past, and then he got fu...ed hard by tyre strategy xD Really Nico was good in 2016, very fast, almost flawless, give the guy his credit... Someone here is biased xD

Last edited by Mayox on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:49 pm 

Mayox wrote:
JN23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Mayox wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Bro you are so biased xD

In Canada he was bullied out of track by Lewis and got dropped like 5 positions on track where it's almost impossible to overtake. In Spain he crashed from the lead to the car behind 8O :lol:
Monaco he out qualified Lewis then Mercedes team orders forced him to let Lewis go past, and then he got fu...ed hard by tyre strategy xD Really Nico was good in 2016, very fast, almost flawless, give the guy his credit...

Overtaking was so impossible in Canada that Rosberg managed to overtake Ricciardo and Raikkonen and should have overtaken Verstappen but spun at the chicane.

Monaco - how was he hurt by tyre strategy? Hamilton had an issue in Q3 which might have made a difference, but then again who knows.

Either way, Rosberg on the whole drove a pretty good season and was a deserving champion but he had luck on his side in the season.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:09 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Mayox wrote:
JN23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Mayox wrote:

Bro you are so biased xD

Monaco he out qualified Lewis then Mercedes team orders forced him to let Lewis go past, and then he got fu...ed hard by tyre strategy xD Really Nico was good in 2016, very fast, almost flawless, give the guy his credit...

Overtaking was so impossible in Canada that Rosberg managed to overtake Ricciardo and Raikkonen and should have overtaken Verstappen but spun at the chicane.

Monaco - how was he hurt by tyre strategy? Hamilton had an issue in Q3 which might have made a difference, but then again who knows.

Either way, Rosberg on the whole drove a pretty good season and was a deserving champion but he had luck on his side in the season.

Extensive list of reliability problems I see :?

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:19 pm 

JN23 wrote:

O please, ask everyone about 2 tracks in calendar where the overtaking is the most difficult... 90% will say Monaco and Canada, 10% will be Sunday fans.

Monaco - Lewis first get past Rosberg thanks to team orders, then got called first for slick tyres on drying track which was pivotal for the race results. Hell of a luck I have to admit...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:34 pm 

Mayox wrote:
JN23 wrote:

O please, ask everyone about 2 tracks in calendar where the overtaking is the most difficult... 90% will say Monaco and Canada, 10% will be Sunday fans.

Monaco - Lewis first get past Rosberg thanks to team orders, then got called first for slick tyres on drying track which was pivotal for the race results. Hell of a luck I have to admit...

In Monaco Rosberg was so slow he was losing 2 to 3 seconds a lap to the leader Ricciardo, what excuse do you give to Rosberg for being so slow?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:41 pm 

Mayox wrote:
JN23 wrote:

I don't agree that people would have Canada as one of the top two where overtaking is the most difficult. Melbourne for starters?

Monaco - Rosberg pitted for inters on lap 20. Hamilton stayed out on wets until the track was good for slicks and pitted on lap 31, the same lap that Rosberg pitted for slicks. I think the reason for Hamilton staying out and not pitting for inters when others did was that it gave him the best chance of getting ahead of Ricciardo. Rosberg wasn't in that race - in the four laps after Rosberg let Hamilton passed he lost 10/11 seconds. I won't deny that Hamilton had help in that he was given a team order to overtake Rosberg, but Rosberg's pace that day was very poor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:12 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Mayox wrote:
JN23 wrote:

In Monaco Rosberg was so slow he was losing 2 to 3 seconds a lap to the leader Ricciardo, what excuse do you give to Rosberg for being so slow?

Rosberg could be even 5 secs slower, he could easily destroy Lewis race as he was ahead and Lewis wouldn't overtake anyway. Rosberg in fact gifted Lewis a win, let him get past and win the race. Lewis never ever did anything like this, but it's Rosberg who was lucky :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:16 pm 

End of the season and someone has decided to make a new account and go on the wind up.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:21 pm 

Mayox wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Mayox wrote:
JN23 wrote:

Rosberg could be even 5 secs slower, he could easily destroy Lewis race as he was ahead and Lewis wouldn't overtake anyway. Rosberg in fact gifted Lewis a win, let him get past and win the race. Lewis never ever did anything like this, but it's Rosberg who was lucky :)

I mean Lewis should have thanked Red Bull for the win for the mess they made of Ricciardo's pit stop. I'm pretty sure Hamilton would have got past Rosberg in the tyre change phase due to Rosberg's pace being so poor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
End of the season and someone has decided to make a new account and go on the wind up.

Seems that way :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:31 pm 

JN23 wrote:
F1_Ernie wrote:

Seems that way :lol:

If it's about me then NO - I even was first who said it's not the right thread for this off topic discussion. Sorry mods for the mess if I'm the one to blame for this :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:16 am 

Mort Canard wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

So roughly 130 rolls, 1.64 faggots or 138395 pennyweights.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:32 pm 

Mayox wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Mayox wrote:
JN23 wrote:

No I believe you said that Rosberg was unlucky, he was unlucky to be 2 to 3 seconds slower than Hamilton?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:55 pm 

Covalent wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

You wouldn't be an admirer of Will Smith?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:25 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:

I'm unmoved by him but I do have a certain dislike for non SI units :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:28 am 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

I think he's highlighting just how ridiculous the stone is as a weight measure in 2018.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:36 pm 

Fair enough maybe I'm just showing my age but when it comes to the weight of a person I can't equate in KG's, even boxing still stick to the pounds measurement.

Likewise in the UK we still go by miles per hour rather than kilometers per hour.

With regards to Will Smith I probably was wondering about the faggot reference.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:48 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Fair enough maybe I'm just showing my age but when it comes to the weight of a person I can't equate in KG's, even boxing still stick to the pounds measurement.

Likewise in the UK we still go by miles per hour rather than kilometers per hour.

With regards to Will Smith I probably was wondering about the faggot reference.

It´s actually an old unit of mass, I´ve nothing against Will Smith :)