Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:00 pm 

Exediron wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Wonder how Sainz feels about moving to McLaren... the team may be more prestigious but surely odds are Renault will be the faster car in the year(s) to come.

I assume that he feels lucky to have a seat at all, considering he was dumped by Renault and obviously out of favor at Red Bull. Macca may not be the power house it once was (for now, at last... :)) but it is still a high budget team that can pay him a real salary and keep him in the spotlight of F1. Much better to be where he is than where Ocon is.

Now that you put it like that :nod:

Think Renault would have kept him happily if they didn't have to deal with red bull to sort out, it was easier for them to get DR as he was out of contract.

They were going to replace him with Ocon if Ricciardo hadn't become available. That implies they were planning to replace him either way.

Yes they were looking to replace, never argued that they weren't, because they wanted their drivers sorted sooner than they could have confirmed whether Sainz was available or not.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:57 pm 

Mayox wrote:

Honestly I think second Merc seat for now is one of the worst seats in F1. It's a tempation to get a seat in a winning car, but the facts are different. Bottas didn't win sh... this year and even when he was able to win, he was denied by his own team. This is a place similar to second Ferrari seat during Schumacher era, car is fast but you not gonna win anything with it and your F1 career will be broken. Not worth.

When have Mercedes ever shown preference to one driver over another until one driver was obviously outperforming the other? Their two drivers have always started a year on an equal footing, in stark contrast to the Schumacher situation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:48 pm 

TedStriker wrote:
Mayox wrote:

Honestly I think second Merc seat for now is one of the worst seats in F1. It's a tempation to get a seat in a winning car, but the facts are different. Bottas didn't win sh... this year and even when he was able to win, he was denied by his own team. This is a place similar to second Ferrari seat during Schumacher era, car is fast but you not gonna win anything with it and your F1 career will be broken. Not worth.

When have Mercedes ever shown preference to one driver over another until one driver was obviously outperforming the other? Their two drivers have always started a year on an equal footing, in stark contrast to the Schumacher situation.

They are, I agree. After Hamilton - Alonso (yes I know it was in McLaren) or even Hamilton - Rosberg situations Mercedes is smarter now and they know that if they want to start a year on equal treatment they need to pair their drivers in a smart way. That's why you have Bottas in Mercedes and not for example Verstappen. They have a superstar driver who will deliver a WDC for them if they give him good car. There is only one WDC title to take, no need to have 2 drivers fighting for it. They need a solid driver who will bring home enough number of points to win WCC as well and will not start inside war. Bottas is perfect fit, Ocon will be perfect fit too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:21 pm 

Mayox wrote:
TedStriker wrote:
Mayox wrote:

They are, I agree. After Hamilton - Alonso (yes I know it was in McLaren) or even Hamilton - Rosberg situations Mercedes is smarter now and they know that if they want to start a year on equal treatment they need to pair their drivers in a smart way. That's why you have Bottas in Mercedes and not for example Verstappen. They have a superstar driver who will deliver a WDC for them if they give him good car. There is only one WDC title to take, no need to have 2 drivers fighting for it. They need a solid driver who will bring home enough number of points to win WCC as well and will not start inside war. Bottas is perfect fit, Ocon will be perfect fit too.

I'm not so sure it's the driver pairings that have made them react differently this year, more that there is a real and genuine threat to both the WDC and WCC if their drivers are taking points off each other. 2014-2016 they were going to win both titles pretty much whatever their drivers did to each other!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:13 am 

Remmirath wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Mayox wrote:
SmoothRide wrote:
Mayox wrote:
Final times after first day. Stroll... :lol:

Stroll is a good driver. I think he may surprise a few people in a decent car.

Cmon, we all know he would have never been in F1 without his Daddy money. And those flying laps on the fastest compound from 2018 during 2019 tyre tests looks like a desperate try to show the world it's otherwise :)

Stroll joins Nelson Piquet Jr. as the only two drivers in the history of Formula One to be outqualified for an entire season by their team mate.

The driver who did this to both of them???? Fernando Alonso. :nod:

That would be Vandoorne, no? Stroll's team mate was Sirotkin, who he outqualified a few times (at least six). He outqualified Massa twice last season, which is hardly great, but also not zero.

I do think that Stroll got to F1 too early, and there are some question marks over his worthiness to be there at all, but he has also shown flashes of promise - particularly in the wet - so I wouldn't rule out him doing better than expected in the Force India. I expect him to be soundly beaten by Pérez, however. We'll see.

You are of course right. It's Vandoorne who got "Whitewashed" this year. :blush: