planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:54 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:23 pm 

Wolf seems to think Bottas was 5s slower than Leclerc over their race stints today once outliers are removed I read elsewhere. So less than a tenth a lap.

That sounds pretty promising for a good championship with Lewis having much better race pace than Bottas even if Seb has similar gains on Leclerc.

No idea about the Bull's and the rest look pretty close together but still a good step further back from the top 3 teams.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:26 pm 

I still feel like we're especially in the dark regarding RBR. Doesn't help that Gasly has crashed their car twice.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:33 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Wolf seems to think Bottas was 5s slower than Leclerc over their race stints today once outliers are removed I read elsewhere. So less than a tenth a lap.

That sounds pretty promising for a good championship with Lewis having much better race pace than Bottas even if Seb has similar gains on Leclerc.

No idea about the Bull's and the rest look pretty close together but still a good step further back from the top 3 teams.

Well Wolff would know a lot more than me of course but there again it’s difficult to gauge how good Leclerc actually is just yet! But I agree being so close is pretty promising yeah and looks like we may get a repeat of 2018 in terms of the cars being close in performance

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:35 pm 

Grabbed from another forum.

The confusing part is Bottas' times at the end of his 3rd stint.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:04 pm 

Ferrari and Haas both hit with exhaust issues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:36 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Well Wolff would know a lot more than me of course but there again it’s difficult to gauge how good Leclerc actually is just yet! But I agree being so close is pretty promising yeah and looks like we may get a repeat of 2018 in terms of the cars being close in performance

Wolf would know more than you but that doesn't mean he's telling the truth. Mercedes could have another 0.5 sec in the bag for all we know.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:51 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Wolf would know more than you but that doesn't mean he's telling the truth. Mercedes could have another 0.5 sec in the bag for all we know.
that is very true, yes. Generally I take what these guys say with a pinch if salt anyway since they invariably have some kind of agenda but from a layman’s Perspective the long runs looked pretty close

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:08 pm 

Anyone know what's going on with Racing Point? Have they had issues or are they deliberately doing low mileage? Williams have missed two days of testing and are only 44 laps behind.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:50 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Anyone know what's going on with Racing Point? Have they had issues or are they deliberately doing low mileage? Williams have missed two days of testing and are only 44 laps behind.

I'm pretty sure they're just in a basic launch spec, kinda like Merc last week but with RP bringing all the goodies to Oz instead of this week. Maybe not ready yet but I think they'll be ok even with others bringing some stuff to Melbourne too.

I think they did similar last year but not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:03 am 

Stats for You lovely people:

Source - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0gj0EXXcAECBYS.jpg:large

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:50 am 

Why is it that after feeling confident that Renault have closed the gap to the top 3, I have a uneasy feeling that not only have they not closed the gap but might even struggle to hold onto the 4th place they got last year?

Sure they've pumped out the laps so reliability looks ok & I understand the times might not be a true representation of the cars ultimate speed so while I'm still confident they've gone forward I have, what is at the moment, just this tiny niggling hesitation that Renault may have overall taken a step backwards.

Can anyone offer any words of comfort to calm my fears?

On the other side of the coin, that Ferrari's looking immense but again, it's only testing I suppose.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 303 spots available, 23 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:55 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
Why is it that after feeling confident that Renault have closed the gap to the top 3, I have a uneasy feeling that not only have they not closed the gap but might even struggle to hold onto the 4th place they got last year?

Sure they've pumped out the laps so reliability looks ok & I understand the times might not be a true representation of the cars ultimate speed so while I'm still confident they've gone forward I have, what is at the moment, just this tiny niggling hesitation that Renault may have overall taken a step backwards.

On the other side of the coin, that Ferrari's looking immense but again, it's only testing I suppose.

My general feeling is that there will be quite a bit of flux to start the year as everyone gets on top of some quite game-changing regulations. So, if Renault don't start 4th then it won't necessarily portend badly for them in what I expect to be a very unsettled first third of the season. At the same time if they start 3rd then I wouldn't even begin to bank on it being propitious.

If it's tight, Renault should win the battle for best of the rest anyway - look at their driver pairing!

My expectations for Renault this year is to achieve a very comfortable 4th place, and I'm not expecting them to haul in RBR already, but believe in their long-term vision and project. They're serious.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:10 am 

Jezza13 wrote:

I don't want to comfort you, because I want to believe that McLaren is ahead of Renault! :]

Really though, I think the midfield looks super tight, and there seems to be almost nothing between them. Should be very exciting, but obviously each of us would like to see our favorite team further out in front!

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:22 am 

Exediron wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

I don't want to comfort you, because I want to believe that McLaren is ahead of Renault! :]

Really though, I think the midfield looks super tight, and there seems to be almost nothing between them. Should be very exciting, but obviously each of us would like to see our favorite team further out in front!

Exed while I do like Renault my will for them to succeed is based on a desire for Ricciardo to win & for Renault to rub RB's nose in it but rest assured my friend my heart lies not in Enstone but, as it has since 1988, firmly in Woking.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 303 spots available, 23 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:51 am 

The final day of the 2nd test can be followed from here:

https://www.gptoday.net/en/live/f1/245523/live-updates-follow-the-fourth-day-of-the-second-test-in-2019

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:23 am 

Invade wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

My general feeling is that there will be quite a bit of flux to start the year as everyone gets on top of some quite game-changing regulations. So, if Renault don't start 4th then it won't necessarily portend badly for them in what I expect to be a very unsettled first third of the season. At the same time if they start 3rd then I wouldn't even begin to bank on it being propitious.

If it's tight, Renault should win the battle for best of the rest anyway - look at their driver pairing!

My expectations for Renault this year is to achieve a very comfortable 4th place, and I'm not expecting them to haul in RBR already, but believe in their long-term vision and project. They're serious.

There is no way Renault could compete with Red Bull even in current sick regulations(V6 pathetic era) no way they beat Newey car.
I also trust Kubica who said Sauber is faster then Renault, plus we don`t know Honda gains, if there will be nice improvement, Toro Rossos might battle them hard too. The strongest Renault feature imo are drivers really strong pair.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:31 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Nice lineup we got today.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:05 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
JN23 wrote:

I'm pretty sure they're just in a basic launch spec, kinda like Merc last week but with RP bringing all the goodies to Oz instead of this week. Maybe not ready yet but I think they'll be ok even with others bringing some stuff to Melbourne too.

I think they did similar last year but not sure.

Cheers :thumbup: I think you're right that they did similar last year. So perhaps a slow start for RP, but if the midfield is as close as it might be then that could cost them come the end of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:40 am 

Merc unwinding a little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:54 am 

There's a video showing Vettel's wheel rim just giving up, but I can't find it now. Quite scary how easily that wheel gave up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:58 am 

Vettel has done a 1.16.720 on C3 tyres. Fuel loads obviously unknown and it did seem a short run but that seems very impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:00 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Vettel has done a 1.16.720 on C3 tyres. Fuel loads obviously unknown and it did seem a short run but that seems very impressive.

1:16.221 now on C3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:19 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
JN23 wrote:

That one was C5 according to autosport.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:46 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Cheers :thumbup:

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:51 pm 

Updated times till Lunch:

Source - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0krf2mWoAIY1k6.jpg:large

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:58 pm 

Vettel and Leclerc's qualifying aim 1 hundredth apart :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:16 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
JN23 wrote:

That one was C5 according to autosport.

Oh thanks, it showed C3 in the otherwebsite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:33 pm 

Vettel has stopped out on track. There's been a few issues for Ferrari this week, I wonder if they have a bit of a reliability issue or they're seeing how far they can push things?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:34 pm 

And only 29 laps for Verstappen in the Red Bull so far today. RB say they are investigating a gearbox issue.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:46 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Vettel has stopped out on track. There's been a few issues for Ferrari this week, I wonder if they have a bit of a reliability issue or they're seeing how far they can push things?

Yeah, that's exactly what I wrote yesterday

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:09 pm 

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14184 ... f-mercedes
Hamilton echoes Wolf's assessment here; claiming that they estimate Ferrari to be half a second quicker. Now either they are really playing serious mind games here like never before or Mercedes are actually well behind Ferrari heading into the season. It seems possible that Ferrari will have a dominant package to start the year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:31 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141840/hamilton-ferrari-may-be-05s-clear-of-mercedes
Hamilton echoes Wolf's assessment here; claiming that they estimate Ferrari to be half a second quicker. Now either they are really playing serious mind games here like never before or Mercedes are actually well behind Ferrari heading into the season. It seems possible that Ferrari will have a dominant package to start the year.

If true that would suggest to me that Mercedes have taken a wrong turn somewhere as that would probably put them near the front of the midfield, which is definitely not what you'd expect.

Binotto made a statement today where he said he was quite unhappy at the moment, which many have taken to mean regarding reliability. He says they still have a lot to do. I find it impossible to read the truth from any of them tbh. I think they're all playing games to a certain extent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:37 pm 

Zoue wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141840/hamilton-ferrari-may-be-05s-clear-of-mercedes

If true that would suggest to me that Mercedes have taken a wrong turn somewhere as that would probably put them near the front of the midfield, which is definitely not what you'd expect.

Binotto made a statement today where he said he was quite unhappy at the moment, which many have taken to mean regarding reliability. He says they still have a lot to do. I find it impossible to read the truth from any of them tbh. I think they're all playing games to a certain extent

Yeah, in the end you just can't really know until the first race weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:50 pm 

Ferrari's test is over. Vettel stopped due to an electrical issue & they won't be heading out anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:51 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:

I wonder if Mercedes are playing mind games in letting Ferrari believe they're comfortably ahead so they get complacent & Mercedes throws in a shocker of a car at Melbourne.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:52 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I wonder if Mercedes are playing mind games in letting Ferrari believe they're comfortably ahead so they get complacent & Mercedes throws in a shocker of a car at Melbourne.

I imagine there will be no complacency from any team.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:53 pm 

Hamilton pounding it on the C5, up to third with a 1:16.628

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:54 pm 

Hamilton does 1.16.628 on C4, less than a tenth slower than Bottas' time this morning on a compound harder.

I reckon (a guess really) that Ferrari are about a tenth or two ahead of Merc, but who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:54 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Yeah, in the end you just can't really know until the first race weekend.

True, and even then, the first GP can be an outlier.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:57 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Hamilton pounding it on the C5, up to third with a 1:16.628
According to Autosport he was on the C4 compound, which would make his lap quicker than Bottas tyre-adjusted.

Ferrari certainly look ahead, but it's difficult to know exactly as we can't say for sure what the compound differences are. I think I might be right in saying Hamilton's is the fastest C4 time? In which case are they maybe not so far away from each other at all?