planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:36 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:07 pm 

Select a top 5. And of course, it doesn't have to be from a driver who won the WDC that season.

Perhaps many have very vivid memories spanning many decades. Perhaps then you mention more performances.

I suppose what I'm most interested in is the view since the mid 1980s to the present day when comparing the best seasons of some of the greats during that timespan, but some tales from the more distant past are also welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:42 pm 

From those I've seen...

1. Alonso 2012
2. Senna 1993
3. Alonso 2006
4. Hamilton 2018
5. Hamilton 2007

Honourable mentions to Schumacher 97/98/01, I wanted to put at least one of them in the top 5, probably 98 because of how 97 ended but I can't leave out Lewis's rookie year. Also Lewis's own 2012 deserves a shout as does Vettel's 2013.

Alonso's 2006 title is the best championship year I've seen and what Senna and Alonso did in those under performing cars is the type of thing I love to see. If only Max had started this year like he was post Monaco I think he'd be in with a shout as well. Which has just reminded me of Dan's 2014 which was pretty epic too so deserves a shout.

I'm probably forgetting lots but that's a start anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:46 pm 

I won't order them and I'll only pick from seasons I've actually seen but my top 5 would be.

Schumacher 95
Schumacher 97 (Up to Jerez)
Schumacher 98
Alonso 06
Alonso 12

Special mention to Fissichella 01, Schumacher 96 and Hamilton 18.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:50 pm 

1. Schumacher 2000
2. Alonso 2006
3. Alonso 2012
4. Vettel 2011
5. Hamilton 2018

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:09 pm 

I watched Schumacher 98 recently and though he was sometimes blisteringly quick, there were a few big errors. That 1998 season is strong in the memory but I need to get back to recapping many of his other seasons.

Could you guys make any argument for a season that doesn't involve Schumacher, Vettel, Hamilton or Alonso across those general eras? I see a shout for Fisi which is interesting and nice to see.

Alonso 2006 is next on my recap list, but I was mightily impressed at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:04 pm 

I'll try some different ones where I was very impressed with a certain driver:

Rubens Barrichello 1994
Heinz-Harald Frentzen 1999
Jenson Button 2004
Daniel Ricciardo 2014

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:04 pm 

A few from the midfield that stuck in my mind:

Nico Hulkenberg 2014 - The model of midfield consistency. Seemed to score in every race.
Robert Kubica 2010 - Forget 2008, this was his standout year. Some truly astonishing qualifying laps (see Suzuka) and finished only 8 points behind Massa in the Ferrari.
Fernando Alonso 2009 - The Renault that year was utterly woeful. 26 points to his team mates' 0. In today's points system it would have been 71-1.
Jarno Trulli 2004 - Won at Monaco and was outscoring Alonso before being unceremoniously dumped from the team with 3 races left.
Rubens Barrichello 1999 - 3 podiums for the Stewart team. Earned himself the Ferrari drive.
Giancarlo Fisichella 1997 - Someone already mentioned '01, but he was very impressive in 97 for Jordan as well. Podiums at Montreal and Spa, and so close to the win at Hockenheim.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:05 pm 

Can't claim I remember them all with crystal clarity but ones that stuck in my head:

Senna 1993
Schumacher 1995
Shumacher 1996
Alonso 2006
Alonso 2012

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:11 pm 

One quick comment about Alonso.

Lots of Alonso seasons being put forward, but what if I were to suggest that 2014 could be his best season? It has yet been mentioned but he was pretty terrific. He smashed up on Kimi and was close to Vettel in that dodgy 2014 Ferrari in the Championship standings.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:14 pm 

Invade wrote:
One quick comment about Alonso.

Lots of Alonso seasons being put forward, but what if I were to suggest that 2014 could be his best season? It has yet been mentioned but he was pretty terrific. He smashed up on Kimi and was close to Vettel in that dodgy 2014 Ferrari in the Championship standings.

'tis true, yes. I think it could be said that he wrestled the maximum out of that car

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:50 pm 

Llotyhy wrote:
I'll try some different ones where I was very impressed with a certain driver:

Rubens Barrichello 1994
Heinz-Harald Frentzen 1999
Jenson Button 2004
Daniel Ricciardo 2014

:thumbup:

Prost 1986

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:27 am 

Some really good memories here, good thread.

I'd also add Eddie '99, came out fighting in Schumacher's absence, grabbed his chance. On that note, Salo's performance on those two races for Ferrari was exemplary, deserves a shout even though not a whole year performance.

Cue to Fiki to praise Bernd Mayländer next for every single season!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:28 pm 

In no particular order

Schumacher 1997. The Ferrari wasn't a match for the Williams but Schumacher nearly pulled off a miracle.
Hamilton 2007. Finest rookie season ever. If not for a team mistake, he'd have been WDC.
Vettel 2011. He was at his dominant best and easily put away all the opposition.
Alonso 2012. His consistency throughout the whole season nearly brought him a very unlikely WDC.
Hamilton 2018. At the very top of his game for nearly every session. Hardly put a wheel wrong. Won without the best car.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:30 pm 

Siao7 wrote:

I'd also add Eddie '99, came out fighting in Schumacher's absence, grabbed his chance. On that note, Salo's performance on those two races for Ferrari was exemplary, deserves a shout even though not a whole year performance.

Irvine did ok in 99 but he had 2 of his 4 wins given to him, another one everyone broke down and the other Coulthard took out Hakkinen and McLaren screwed up the strategy. Now Frentzen, that was a great season.

Well did 5 races for Ferrari did well in 2 but awful in 3. Salo had a great season in 96 though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:36 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Irvine did ok in 99 but he had 2 of his 4 wins given to him, another one everyone broke down and the other Coulthard took out Hakkinen and McLaren screwed up the strategy. Now Frentzen, that was a great season.

Well did 5 races for Ferrari did well in 2 but awful in 3. Salo had a great season in 96 though.

Yeah, I take your point, especially since this is "best performances ever". I was thinking more from the point of view that he had to fill in some big shoes after Silverstone and took it to the wire. Not a phenomenal performance, but equally I do not think most people expected him to do that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:05 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Yeah, I take your point, especially since this is "best performances ever". I was thinking more from the point of view that he had to fill in some big shoes after Silverstone and took it to the wire. Not a phenomenal performance, but equally I do not think most people expected him to do that.

Yes I certainly agree he stepped up and did better than many thought he would.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:12 am 

Surprised no one has put forward Vettel 2013.

He was relentless in 2013.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:18 pm 

Olivier Panis in 1997 up until the accident in Canada that left him with broken legs was having a fantastic start to the 1997 season in the Prost mugen Honda. Pretty sure at the point of the accident he was in the top 4 in the standings. i Know its not a whole season but it was his whole season and who knows if he could have carried the form on. The 1997 Prost was a Handy package

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:31 pm 

Michael Schumacher 1997
Michael Schumacher 1998
Fernando Alonso 2012
Kimi Raikkonen 2003
Lewis Hamilton 2017

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:20 pm 

Rockie wrote:
Surprised no one has put forward Vettel 2013.

He was relentless in 2013.

True. The second half of 2013 was the most dominant I have seen a single driver be since the 2004 Schumacher championship. Especially that Singapore race, where he was consistenly 2-2,5 seconds per lap faster than everyone else.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:19 am 

Damon Hill 1993.

First full season in arguably the best car ever made, granted, but given his relative inexperience compared to Prost and Senna he stood his own and won 3 in a row.

It could easily have gone horribly wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:36 pm 

Keke Rosberg 1982
Alain Prost 1986
Michael Schumacher 1994
Sebastian Vettl 2011/2013
Lewis Hamilton 2014-2015/Nico Rosberg 2016

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:40 pm 

Siao7 wrote:

Now that you mention it... :lol:

Even after all this time, I'm not sure how good Irvine's 1999 season really was. From memory, the Nürburgring race could have put him not just in a more comfortable position championship-wise, but mentally. I think I should watch "A drink with Eddy Irvine" again to find out what he thinks of that season himself.

I hope I'm not the only one who considers Mika Salo to be a Grand Prix winner. He deserves it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:09 pm 

Schumacher jumped back into the 1999 Ferrari after 3 months out the car and out qualified Irvine by 1 and 1.5 seconds in the final 2 rounds. That tells you all you need to know about Irvines 1999 season...

He was in the title race because Hakkinen had 5 DNFs, Irvine had 1 and of course Schumacher broke his leg.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:21 am 

Johnson wrote:
Schumacher jumped back into the 1999 Ferrari after 3 months out the car and out qualified Irvine by 1 and 1.5 seconds in the final 2 rounds. That tells you all you need to know about Irvines 1999 season...

He was in the title race because Hakkinen had 5 DNFs, Irvine had 1 and of course Schumacher broke his leg.

Irvine was not Schumacher!

Plus it is their relative seasons, at least that's how I get it. The OP mentions that it doesn't have to be a WDC winner. For Irvine's career, he stepped up (yes, helped by the situation too) and took it to the wire. Did you expect him to be a contender by the end?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:23 am 

Fiki wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Now that you mention it... :lol:

Even after all this time, I'm not sure how good Irvine's 1999 season really was. From memory, the Nürburgring race could have put him not just in a more comfortable position championship-wise, but mentally. I think I should watch "A drink with Eddy Irvine" again to find out what he thinks of that season himself.

I hope I'm not the only one who considers Mika Salo to be a Grand Prix winner. He deserves it!

Oh definitely, Salo deserved that win. I have explained my reasoning above, it is only his relative performance. Call it a nice surprise if you want!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:50 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Johnson wrote:

Plus it is their relative seasons, at least that's how I get it. The OP mentions that it doesn't have to be a WDC winner. For Irvine's career, he stepped up (yes, helped by the situation too) and took it to the wire. Did you expect him to be a contender by the end?

He clearly didn’t step up, that is my point. He was as slow as ever and the title challenge was based on having the best car overall and all other title contenders having multiple DNFs and awful luck. If Frentzezn didn’t have so many DNFs he himself likely would have beaten or at least nearly beaten Irvine too - in a Jordan!

Schumacher - 8 DNF
Coulthard - 7 DNF
Hakkinen - 5 DNF
Frentzen - 4 DNF
Irvine - 1 DNF

Mika Salo, jumped into a car he had never driven, mid season and out performed him in 2 of there 6 races together. Salo is not even a highly rated driver. In your original post, your praise both drivers, they just had a great car and were both average. Arguably the worst ever pairing in the best / 2nd best F1 car in the history of F1. I can’t think of a worse pair to drive a regular race winning car.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:09 pm 

Johnson wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Johnson wrote:

He clearly didn’t step up, that is my point. He was as slow as ever and the title challenge was based on having the best car overall and all other title contenders having multiple DNFs and awful luck. If Frentzezn didn’t have so many DNFs he himself likely would have beaten or at least nearly beaten Irvine too - in a Jordan!

Schumacher - 8 DNF
Coulthard - 7 DNF
Hakkinen - 5 DNF
Frentzen - 4 DNF
Irvine - 1 DNF

Mika Salo, jumped into a car he had never driven, mid season and out performed him in 2 of there 6 races together. Salo is not even a highly rated driver. In your original post, your praise both drivers, they just had a great car and were both average. Arguably the worst ever pairing in the best / 2nd best F1 car in the history of F1. I can’t think of a worse pair to drive a regular race winning car.
And yet, considering it wasn't "their" car, it may have been the best season performance from them ever. Who's to say?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:45 am 

Johnson wrote:

I agree, Schumi had an awful accident at the worst possible time (WDC wise).

I've absolutely no doubt that he would have won the 1999 WDC, whereas Irvine struggled to be a contender - even with Schumi's (admittedly, and understandably, half-hearted help :lol: ) when he was forced back to help Irvine.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:27 pm 

The 1999 Ferrari was Irvines car, he had driven it all year and whilst the team wasn’t built around him it was a very fast and crucially reliable car.

From his 6 races, Salo had 2 good races but also 2 very poor ones. He did reasonably well overall I would say but not exceptional. We have 2 team mate comparisons for Irvine and both show his performance as pretty average in 1999. The facts don’t lie, he nearly sneaked the title due to numerous freak occupancies. Not his own driving.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:06 pm 

Desert Storm wrote:
Michael Schumacher 1997
Michael Schumacher 1998
Fernando Alonso 2012
Kimi Raikkonen 2003
Lewis Hamilton 2017

Kimi had more DNF with much slower car and some how just 2pts from MS. Such a shame he missed 2003 and 2005 title :-((

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:54 am 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
Desert Storm wrote:
Michael Schumacher 1997
Michael Schumacher 1998
Fernando Alonso 2012
Kimi Raikkonen 2003
Lewis Hamilton 2017

Kimi had more DNF with much slower car and some how just 2pts from MS. Such a shame he missed 2003 and 2005 title :-((

IIRC, Kimi didn't have a "much slower car" - but he did have a less reliable car in '03.

In '05, he wasn't racing Schumi - as the tyres made the Ferrari a non-contender.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:58 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Keke Rosberg 1982
Alain Prost 1986
Michael Schumacher 1994

I'm interested to hear why you rate Hamilton's 2014-15/Rosberg's 2016 higher than Hamilton's 2017/18?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:04 pm 

Johnson wrote:
The 1999 Ferrari was Irvines car, he had driven it all year
:D I suppose that's one way of looking at it.
Johnson wrote:
and whilst the team wasn’t built around him it was a very fast and crucially reliable car.
According to Irvine, the car wasn't fast enough. He also said that Schumacher could make up the difference to get it into contention. While the accident did change Ferrari's priorities, Irvine was on his way out. In any team, that would in normal circumstances mean the leaving driver to be removed from any development work for the following year's car. Remember also that there were reports at the time that Ferrari were rather relieved Irivine didn't win the title and take the number 1 plate with him.

Johnson wrote:
From his 6 races, Salo had 2 good races but also 2 very poor ones. He did reasonably well overall I would say but not exceptional. We have 2 team mate comparisons for Irvine and both show his performance as pretty average in 1999. The facts don’t lie, he nearly sneaked the title due to numerous freak occupancies. Not his own driving.
The topic is best season performances. Do you see a year in which Irvine performed better than in 1999? I'm not saying you are wrong about his '99 being average, but I am curious to see how others rate him over the years, and which one is seen as his best.
While I agree with a number of freak occurrences, let's not forget that in France Irvine was ordered to give up his place to Schumacher, and that during the European GP at the Nürburgring, Irvine lost precious time when the team only had 3 wheels ready to put onto his car. He finished 4 seconds behind eventual champion Häkkinen, and this pitstop added to the point given up to Schumacher could have made him world champion. I can imagine that it really was his best season, just as I can imagine winning the title might have made him find more within himself.

Last edited by Fiki on Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:50 am 

JN23 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Keke Rosberg 1982
Alain Prost 1986
Michael Schumacher 1994

I'm interested to hear why you rate Hamilton's 2014-15/Rosberg's 2016 higher than Hamilton's 2017/18?

Nothing specific, I just forgot to add those years. They were stellar.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:48 pm 

1. Hamilton 2018
2. Senna 1991
3. Schumacher 1995
4. Schumacher 1998
5. Senna 1993
6. Vettel 2011
7. Hamilton 2015
8. Schumacher 2002
9. Alonso 2012
10. Schumacher 1997

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:40 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
1. Hamilton 2018
2. Senna 1991
3. Schumacher 1995
4. Schumacher 1998
5. Senna 1993
6. Vettel 2011
7. Hamilton 2015
8. Schumacher 2002
9. Alonso 2012
10. Schumacher 1997

I'm surprised, sandman, that you don't include Senna's 1988 season. That year he shared the best car in the field, with one of the all-time best drivers and won.
Another surprise is not seeing Alonso's 2006 season, when the arguably main advantage his car had held was taken away by the FIA mid-season. He still held his own and won the title.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:50 am 

Fiki wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
1. Hamilton 2018
2. Senna 1991
3. Schumacher 1995
4. Schumacher 1998
5. Senna 1993
6. Vettel 2011
7. Hamilton 2015
8. Schumacher 2002
9. Alonso 2012
10. Schumacher 1997

I'm surprised, sandman, that you don't include Senna's 1988 season. That year he shared the best car in the field, with one of the all-time best drivers and won.
Another surprise is not seeing Alonso's 2006 season, when the arguably main advantage his car had held was taken away by the FIA mid-season. He still held his own and won the title.

Agreed. I'm not surprised to see Sandman having Hamilton's 2018 on the top spot, which was surely a great season, even his best so far. But best ever? Not sure about that.

I'd add maybe Vettel's 2013 title. Schumacher's 2000 season was also epic, I can't remember a single fault from him.

So many great seasons, so many memories

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:33 pm 

The question isn’t what are the best seasons for individual drivers, whereby 1999 would be the best Irvine year. The question is what are the best seasons from all drivers relative to every other driver not just themsleves. That’s why many lists have the same driver twice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:37 pm 

Fiki wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
1. Hamilton 2018
2. Senna 1991
3. Schumacher 1995
4. Schumacher 1998
5. Senna 1993
6. Vettel 2011
7. Hamilton 2015
8. Schumacher 2002
9. Alonso 2012
10. Schumacher 1997

Alonso had a great year. But as soon as he didn’t have the best car he won 1 race in 9. He also only won that because Schumacher blew up in front of him.