planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Which driver will win the Red Bull PF1 TMW vote in 2019?
Poll ended at Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:32 pm
Max Verstappen 94%  94%  [ 16 ]
Pierre Gasly 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 17
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:32 pm 

Into the big three we go!

At Red Bull, Max Verstappen will be paired up with a new teammate following Daniel Ricciardo's decision to join Renault. It's a move that makes Verstappen the undoubted #1 driver at Red Bull, and his F1 experience relative to his new partner, Pierre Gasly, means that it's a slightly odd scenario where the younger driver of the two will be considered the experienced team leader.

For Verstappen, it's looks like it could be something of a hiding to nothing. Many people would expect him to comfortably handle his new French teammate, especially in light of how he performed compared with Daniel Ricciardo. For those backing Honda to make a significant difference at Red Bull, he'll even enter the year as a title contender and would-be youngest ever WDC (a record he'll have two bites of the cherry at, by the way). So anything but a year in which he puts Gasly in the shade could theoretically be seen as Max underperforming (there is an alternative viewpoint on that which I'll touch on momentarily). And even if he does dominate Pierre, there wouldn't be too many eyebrows raised given it'll only be Gasly's second full season in F1. Of course, depending on what Honda bring to the table even if he's not really fighting for the WDC it could at least be Max's own most successful year, so he has the chance to continue to grow his own reputation even if a much stronger year than Gasly wouldn't really make many headlines.

For Gasly, you (or at least I) can't help but draw parallels to what happened with Daniel Kvyat. Promoted to the senior team after just one full season in F1, against a team mate his best hope might be getting vaguely close to. It could quickly become another case of 'too much, too soon', a season or two that could result in Red Bull deciding he wasn't ready for the promotion and demoting him back to Toro Rosso, or perhaps kicking him out of their organisation altogether. Of course, he also has a huge opportunity. Max Verstappen is very highly thought of, so if Pierre is even getting close to him on a regular basis, he's not going to do his own reputation any harm. And with so many drivers out of contract at the end of 2020, two solid seasons in Max's shadow could even end up resulting in him becoming Red Bull's lead driver for 2021 if another team were able to convince Max to join them. It doesn't hurt that Red Bull's junior programme is going through something of a rebuilding phase and there aren't, at least right now, a string of drivers nipping at his heels. That could be enough to afford him a second season at the senior team regardless of what happens in 2019, although both Toro Rosso drivers might yet have a say about that!

So, PlanetF1 forum: who'll win the TMW battle at Red Bull, Max Verstappen or Pierre Gasly?

Results So Far:
Renault: Daniel Ricciardo 87% - 13% Nico Hulkenberg
Haas: Romain Grosjean 83% - 17% Kevin Magnussen
McLaren: Carlos Sainz 73% - 27% Lando Norris
Racing Point Force India: Sergio Perez 87% - 13% Lance Stroll
Sauber: Kimi Raikkonen 88% - 12% Antonio Giovinazzi
Toro Rosso: Daniil Kvyat 60% - 40% Alex Albon
Williams: George Russell 75% - 25% Robert Kubica

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:15 pm 

This has to be a slam dunk for Verstappen, Gasly is very good but I think Verstappen is destined to become an all time great.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:19 pm 

Surely has to be Verstappen - assuming either of them gets over the line with the Honda engine?

He WILL be #1 regardless of what Marko spouts out, and I think it will be an easy win over his team mate.

I'm hoping I'm wrong though.

Plus, if they qualify near each other I can't see either one budging so that should be fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:49 pm 

I'm expecting utter domination by Verstappen. If Gasly out-qualifies him more than once or twice in the year, that will already be doing better than I expect.

Source: I think Verstappen is the fastest (or equal fastest) of anyone in terms of pure speed, and I think Gasly is overrated based on actually achieving very little at Toro Rosso.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:01 pm 

Exediron wrote:
I'm expecting utter domination by Verstappen. If Gasly out-qualifies him more than once or twice in the year, that will already be doing better than I expect.

Source: I think Verstappen is the fastest (or equal fastest) of anyone in terms of pure speed, and I think Gasly is overrated based on actually achieving very little at Toro Rosso.

This, more or less, for me.

If Verstappen engages his brain for a full season (or at least close to it), this could be the most one-sided pairing of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:32 pm 

yeah echo most of the sentiments on here. I think Verstappen is super-quick and I haven't seen anything yet from Gasly to suggest an upset.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:50 pm 

Exediron wrote:

Gasly scored 29 of Torro Rosso's 33 points so I would say he achieved a pretty good amount. Obviously this is a different level entirely though.

I'm hoping Gasly has a respectable season, but I also have the nagging fear that it could be a serious career denter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:47 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Gasly scored 29 of Torro Rosso's 33 points so I would say he achieved a pretty good amount. Obviously this is a different level entirely though.

I'm hoping Gasly has a respectable season, but I also have the nagging fear that it could be a serious career denter.

I wouldn't mind being wrong - I'm no fan of Max's!

My problem is that I really don't rate Hartley as an F1 driver. He got dropped from the sport once, and to be honest he didn't show me anything on his return that suggested Red Bull was wrong to drop him the first time. Therefore, beating Hartley soundly doesn't mean much from my point of view.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:58 am 

Yeah I probably rate gasly lower than most. Max is going to destroy him. Still think kvyatt will be back at redbull, heck maybe this year.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:47 am 

Verstappen will beat Gasly.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 360 trophies available, 26 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:18 am 

I predict that this and Hamilton vs. Bottas will be the only two 100-0 results in this series.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:52 pm 

Verstappen. I doubt it'll even be close.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:41 pm 

Exediron wrote:
I predict that this and Hamilton vs. Bottas will be the only two 100-0 results in this series.

I wonder if someone voted for Gasly after seeing your post :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:49 pm 

JN23 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

I wonder if someone voted for Gasly after seeing your post :lol:

If the person who voted for him won't come forward and explain their vote, I'm going to assume so. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:04 am 

Exediron wrote:

It is probably up there as one of the most clear cut TMW wins on paper. Gasly is as likely to outperform Verstappen as Stroll is to outperform Perez. It could be that one sided.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:21 am 

Exediron wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

My problem is that I really don't rate Hartley as an F1 driver. He got dropped from the sport once, and to be honest he didn't show me anything on his return that suggested Red Bull was wrong to drop him the first time. Therefore, beating Hartley soundly doesn't mean much from my point of view.

This is the camp I’m in. I think Gaslys performance was made to look better because Hartley wasn’t much competition. I expect this to be the most one sided TMW of the lot.

100-0 to Max. If Gasly gets one, I’ll change my name to Pierre Bradley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:40 am 

Charles LeBrad wrote:
Exediron wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Exediron wrote:

This is the camp I’m in. I think Gaslys performance was made to look better because Hartley wasn’t much competition. I expect this to be the most one sided TMW of the lot.

100-0 to Max. If Gasly gets one, I’ll change my name to Pierre Bradley

Hey, stranger things have happened.

Who would've picked Ricciardo to come in & give the current 4x WC a towelling?

Then again, I suppose Ricciardo was the fresh face and by that time Vettel had grown a little too old for Marko.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 360 trophies available, 26 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:05 am 

True, but I can see Max having that kind of a slump. Like you said, Vettel was in the game for 7 seasons before he had that Ricciardo season. This is Max’s 5th season, so he’s not tired yet.

That might change in 2020 if the Honda is terrible, and he starts to feel deflated

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:45 pm 

pokerman wrote:
This has to be a slam dunk for Verstappen, Gasly is very good but I think Verstappen is destined to become an all time great.

What makes you think Gasly is very good out of interest?

Personally I thought Hartley was quicker too often for my liking and held back by the team too often to be that impressed by Gasly's year but maybe I'm underestimating Hartley tbf.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:24 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

What makes you think Gasly is very good out of interest?

Personally I thought Hartley was quicker too often for my liking and held back by the team too often to be that impressed by Gasly's year but maybe I'm underestimating Hartley tbf.

Well he's certainly not rubbish I would say, Red Bull have even opinionated that he might push Verstappen in qualifying, anyway good doesn't beat exceptional.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)