planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:53 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:10 pm 

Swiss1 wrote:
Will the BBC still do live radio coverage? I have multiple options to watch for free on several channels here in Switzerland, by most are German, French or Italian. Used to use the radio for the audio, but mostly watch live in German, then watch the highlights later.

I am sure it would be possible to get the German channels on Satellite in the UK.

Did consider F1TV, but too much for me (not working at the moment) and you only can watch live on one device at a time.

Yes, just seen this will be on BBC Radio this year: https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/47499757

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:30 pm 

It is seeming less and less likely that Sky are doing any sort of deal with nowtv. This is the least excited I've felt at the start of the season because I'm starting to think I'm going to have to skip a load of what I usually watch. Even just watching the 20 races without qualifying or practice (24 hour pass), that would be too much for coverage that for me too often buffers and looks poor at times when loads of users are on it at the same time. That would be £180. Given that last year, you could get 9 whole months of Sky sports for £150, £30 more for 20x 24 hour passes is really poor. To be able to watch the same amount of F1 stuff that pass covered last year, you would basically have to double that price. Unless you buy sky on cable and get sky sports as an extra, in which case will be even more.

I think I'm only going to watch the races that I liked more than others over the past few years and buy the week pass so I can watch practice and qualifying too. The rest, will probably just watch Channel 4 highlights. The commentary team is way better on Channel 4 anyway.

Such a sad time for F1 in the UK. Loads of viewers are going to lose interest purely because they don't want to pay the price and then it stops them watching it as much. I hate the Sky advert with crofty saying "there has never beeen a better deal" How about last year? and the year before that, and the year before that. And from what I have heard, 2012, sky F1 wasn't a part of the extra sports package. So effectively, this is the worst deal now!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:18 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
It is seeming less and less likely that Sky are doing any sort of deal with nowtv. This is the least excited I've felt at the start of the season because I'm starting to think I'm going to have to skip a load of what I usually watch. Even just watching the 20 races without qualifying or practice (24 hour pass), that would be too much for coverage that for me too often buffers and looks poor at times when loads of users are on it at the same time. That would be £180. Given that last year, you could get 9 whole months of Sky sports for £150, £30 more for 20x 24 hour passes is really poor. To be able to watch the same amount of F1 stuff that pass covered last year, you would basically have to double that price. Unless you buy sky on cable and get sky sports as an extra, in which case will be even more.

I think I'm only going to watch the races that I liked more than others over the past few years and buy the week pass so I can watch practice and qualifying too. The rest, will probably just watch Channel 4 highlights. The commentary team is way better on Channel 4 anyway.

Such a sad time for F1 in the UK. Loads of viewers are going to lose interest purely because they don't want to pay the price and then it stops them watching it as much. I hate the Sky advert with crofty saying "there has never beeen a better deal" How about last year? and the year before that, and the year before that. And from what I have heard, 2012, sky F1 wasn't a part of the extra sports package. So effectively, this is the worst deal now!!

Eh, did you not read the last page?
https://www.nowtv.com/watch-f1-online

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:23 pm 

Seanie wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Eh, did you not read the last page?
https://www.nowtv.com/watch-f1-online

I have just noticed this now, but at the time I wrote this, I had been looking all over the place and it most certainly was not available. Anyhow, I think I will get this. I was so close to thinking that would be viewing significantly less F1 live this year than I have before, but I hopefully will continue now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:18 pm 

Interesting article on BBC F1:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47542802

"Sky has imposed a series of restrictions on C4 in the contract for the highlights races, which will affect both the race coverage itself, and what happens around it.

For example, only 50% of the total running time of C4's programme can now be taken up by the on-track coverage - down from between 60-70% last year. They are not allowed to do interviews in what is known as the 'pen' - where all the drivers are taken to do a round-robin of broadcasters after qualifying and race - or in the pit lane. Any 'pen' interviews they use will have to come from Sky. The amount of interviews C4 can do in the paddock is restricted. And they have been forbidden from doing a 'grid walk'."

Sky can go to hell in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:35 pm 

Wow.

Thats disappointing. They're obviously trying to kill the interest in free to air audience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:29 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
Interesting article on BBC F1:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47542802

"Sky has imposed a series of restrictions on C4 in the contract for the highlights races, which will affect both the race coverage itself, and what happens around it.

For example, only 50% of the total running time of C4's programme can now be taken up by the on-track coverage - down from between 60-70% last year. They are not allowed to do interviews in what is known as the 'pen' - where all the drivers are taken to do a round-robin of broadcasters after qualifying and race - or in the pit lane. Any 'pen' interviews they use will have to come from Sky. The amount of interviews C4 can do in the paddock is restricted. And they have been forbidden from doing a 'grid walk'."

Sky can go to hell in my opinion.

Oh dear. I have gone for the deal with sky anyway as i don't expect their coverage will be worse. Now they are exclusive, they could well be making some improvements. But I hate what they are doing with Channel 4...

Some of the highlight programs for the races last year were an hour and 50 minutes. At least 20 - 25% taken up by adverts. Is the race really going to barely have 45 minutes covered? I've always thought Channel 4 do a really good job with the highlights. But the fact that Sky are trying to limit what they do to boost their audience is really poor. They may get more viewers, but many who join them will have no respect for what they have done. Channel 4 are trying to keep us happy without charging us. Sky are doing things they know will disappoint customers but will end up getting more money no matter what. I know money is what they are trying to get, but knowing that they are trying to steer people away from other coverage by making it worse (which I think they shouldn't have the right to), it really makes me hate them...

Anyhow, ignoring all this, Just wasted a bit of the coverage. I'm happy that Karun Chandhok is there. He's going to improve it a bit I think. Hopefully the action of this year will make me forget how much i hate what they have done!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:41 am 

MistaVega23 wrote:

If you watch the Premiership football on Match of the Day, the same seems to apply: Ie for each match you get 10 mins of highlights and then 10 mins of analysis. I find this irritating and annoying, I hope the C4 F1 coverage won't be the same. But even last year I found the constant advert breaks in the highlight shows a real pain. If this year every race is like that with more padding - think about only 50% of it race coverage with no grid-walk or pen interviews... it'll be too much.

For a non-Sky subscriber it's £22 + £10 for F1 for 18-months, but then it's £27 + £10, and after 24 months it's £27 + £18. £32 sounds bearable; £45 doesn't.
I see the Sky offer runs until April 1, so I will try C4's Aussie GP and see.

Just to be sure, does Sky coverage include adverts during race or practice sessions?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:32 am 

tim3003 wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

If you watch the Premiership football on Match of the Day, the same seems to apply: Ie for each match you get 10 mins of highlights and then 10 mins of analysis. I find this irritating and annoying, I hope the C4 F1 coverage won't be the same. But even last year I found the constant advert breaks in the highlight shows a real pain. If this year every race is like that with more padding - think about only 50% of it race coverage with no grid-walk or pen interviews... it'll be too much.

For a non-Sky subscriber it's £22 + £10 for F1 for 18-months, but then it's £27 + £10, and after 24 months it's £27 + £18. £32 sounds bearable; £45 doesn't.
I see the Sky offer runs until April 1, so I will try C4's Aussie GP and see.

Just to be sure, does Sky coverage include adverts during race or practice sessions?

Sky's coverage is uninterrupted during the qualifying sessions and the race. Practice and the pre and post qualifying/race has them. Very annoying when i once tried sky coming from the BBC. You pay to see interrupted coverage. But at least the race doesn't get this when it is live, no matter how long it is.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:31 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Sky's coverage is uninterrupted during the qualifying sessions and the race. Practice and the pre and post qualifying/race has them. Very annoying when i once tried sky coming from the BBC. You pay to see interrupted coverage. But at least the race doesn't get this when it is live, no matter how long it is.

As someone who hates adverts I'd be loathe to pay Sky and see them.

Maybe we should all boycott Sky, hopefully they'll reckon they can't make money from F1 and hand live coverage back to the terrestrial broadcasters.

I listened to FP2 on BBC R5 live, which was okay. I find FPs fairly boring on TV anyway; there's seldom much to see and radio keeps you up to date with the times just as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:46 pm 

Well, watched the Channel 4 highlights and you can see it is restricted. Q1 was about 4 minutes! Such a shame you can't hear the Channel 4 team interviewing the drivers. You don't even hear the sky team asking them, you just hear the same drivers response to the question they asked on the original sky coverage when it was live. Not being able to hear the question asked is just stupid. So we must listen to the answer to something sky have asked, but can only hear the drivers answer something a question that we don't know.... The Channel 4 team seem to be allowed to speak to team bosses, but hardly anything to the drivers. At least not at the times Sky can. Billy Monger spoke to Noris though which was nice to see.

But I still have this HATE towards sky that they are strictly limiting what Channel 4 can show. They don't seem to care that doing this will result in many people that refuse to pay giving up watching the sport totally. All they care about is that it will result in them getting a few more customers, and it is all about money. But they don't care that what they are doing is significantly reducing the viewing figures in this country. Channel 4 highlights are the worst they have been from what I have seen, and I blame sky...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:01 pm 

I thought the race highlights were okay. Agreed re the quali - don't know if they're time restricted for this too? But the programme length was 90 mins. So they could do all 45mins of quali in that.. I always thought the grid walk was a waste of time, so don't miss that - but it did help set the atmosphere.
Have they lost the woman - whose name I forget, who did the interviews?
I noted the lack of any technical update re the new regulations too. I think maybe they're going for the younger more casual viewer. Maybe that's why Billy Monger is there. But why does he always wear shorts?..

You could call this a dumbing down of sports coverage. But it's not all Sky's fault. I used to like Ski Sunday on BBC2, but these days it's all effect and little content, fewer downhills, more stupid snow-boarding; fewer stats, more presenter hand-holding; again I suspect for the younger 'dumber' viewer.

I used to hate Sky, but I'm too old to now! I don't pay them any money though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:05 pm 

tim3003 wrote:

I thought the same thing yesterday - I miss Lee already :(

https://badgergp.com/2018-will-final-ye ... ts-badger/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:20 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
tim3003 wrote:

I thought the same thing yesterday - I miss Lee already :(

https://badgergp.com/2018-will-final-ye ... ts-badger/

Ive recently read that she is going to do a number of F1 interviews during this season. Not forgetting due to Sky restrictions she can't interview in pit lane, paddock or pen.

Edit: https://motorsportbroadcasting.com/2019 ... s-f1-team/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:31 am 

Well I watched the Australian GP on Sky Sports F1 after deciding to pay the £10 extra a month to get Sky Sports F1.

It pained me to do it, but it's the only way I can get to watch the races live (without breaking the law!) and record the full race if I can't get to the TV in time.

I've said this before though when I've watched Sky F1 occasionally over the years and I still believe it - the Sky presenting team are awful compared to Channel 4's. So wooden, fake and just boring. IF F1 ever goes back on free to air TV in the UK I will ditch Sky F1 in a heartbeat, it's rubbish compared to Channel 4.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 am 

SteveW wrote:
I've said this before though when I've watched Sky F1 occasionally over the years and I still believe it - the Sky presenting team are awful compared to Channel 4's. So wooden, fake and just boring. IF F1 ever goes back on free to air TV in the UK I will ditch Sky F1 in a heartbeat, it's rubbish compared to Channel 4.

Personally I dont like Steve Jones on C4. I find his joke-insults of DC and his headline-hunting melodramatising stupid and immature. I suppose one positive this year is that we'll see less of him...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:39 pm 

tim3003 wrote:
SteveW wrote:

Personally I dont like Steve Jones on C4. I find his joke-insults of DC and his headline-hunting melodramatising stupid and immature. I suppose one positive this year is that we'll see less of him...
Horses for courses I guess....

I agree that Steve Jones' "jokes" are often cringeworthy, but I just feel like the whole C4 team seem to fit together much better, have more banter and tend to take themselves a little less seriously - which is what I like.

I may change that view after watching a full season on Sky F1, I've never done that before.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:20 pm 

I signed up for the Now TV offer only for Sky to go and chuck the Australian GP on SKY One. So I could have watched it with my existing Entertainment/Movies package.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:27 pm 

Was able to steam the Sky F1 coverage on my Laptop, and had the live feed on the TV from one of the many German Channels that provide coverage (think there are four and at least one French and one Italian that I have in my Cable TV contract). Guess it helps being in the middle of Europe and having a reasonable understanding of German, so have access to Germany, Austria, France, . Also had my satellite recording the BBC radio commentary, but never used it.

So I should be fine for this season. If I have to listen to the German, will use RTL, ORF, N-TV etc.. rather than the SRF (Swiss Channel) as I prefer to hear High German rather than Swiss German.

It would not be a big job to put up a satellite dish to receive the German/Austrian Broadcasts and you could use the audio feed from BBC Radio, just need to sync the feeds (use to do this).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_F ... oadcasters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:47 pm 

Seanie wrote:
I signed up for the Now TV offer only for Sky to go and chuck the Australian GP on SKY One. So I could have watched it with my existing Entertainment/Movies package.

Another thing i hate about sky. They boast about all 11 channels. When you find out that the race is almost always always streamed on two of them and sometimes on other sky channels too. more channels, to show more of the same. pointless. more channels means they have a bad excuse for it to be more expensive than it used to be. And I also hate what they have done with the highlights. They just feel so empty compared to last year with the post race coverage. Channel 4 used to be really good IMO. I hate what Sky have done....

Sky, Believe in Worse.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:39 pm 

Now I don't know if Channel 4 are forced to do this, but it is just ridiculous and is going to put me off watching it if i haven't already seen the race. just before the last add break, you get " COMING UP: "He wins race 1000"

Even if it doesn't show who it is, saying things that haven't yet happened yet on the highlights is really tedious. Are they forced to do this? The other add breaks have an annoying coming up thing too. Drives me mad...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:15 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Now I don't know if Channel 4 are forced to do this, but it is just ridiculous and is going to put me off watching it if i haven't already seen the race. just before the last add break, you get " COMING UP: "He wins race 1000"

Even if it doesn't show who it is, saying things that haven't yet happened yet on the highlights is really tedious. Are they forced to do this? The other add breaks have an annoying coming up thing too. Drives me mad...

At least the driver's name was bleeped out!

What got me was that Steve Jones was forced to say at the end of the quali programme that you could see the race live and exclusive on Sky. It's almost like Sky are trying to humiliate C4! And the final pre-race TV advert was again for Sky's coverage. On the other hand, maybe Sky are getting desperate to up their viewing figures? I doubt another Merc dominated season will fill them with optimism on that score!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:45 am 

This is one of my biggest frustrations.

Sports broadcasting is probably the only industry in the world where competition has resulted in a far worse deal for the consumer.

I do not watch the Premiership, or Champions League, but.... I need to subsidise if I subscribe to Sky or BT

However I watch:
Motorsport, Boxing, Football (Spanish and Scottish), Golf, Cricket, Rugby and Tennis

That would require a subscription to:-
Sky Sport, BT Sport, Premier Sport, Boxnation, Amazon and ElevenSport.

I'd have got all of it in 1 package from Sky not that far back and costing about 25% of what would currently.

Is it any wonder things like illegal feeds via IPTV are taking off and really improving in quality? Sports broadcasting is taking the p1ss out of the consumer.

Car #36 - Blog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:45 pm 

After a few US posters mentioned the sky bias, I did notice at 1 point in China a distinct difference between the C4 and Sky commentary teams - the Mercedes double stop.

After Bottas came on the radio saying 'don't cost me time' the C4 team both commented that he had to slow before entering the box and lost a bit of time. The Sky team however, were both blowing their minds with what they called a perfect double stop.

I'm not saying the stops weren't good and neither did C4, but they did point out the flaws whereas Sky were all about how amazing Mercedes were. To me, that is a perfect example of the bias Sky have and why I'm not a fan of Crofty and Brundle.

Last edited by minchy on Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:30 am 

minchy wrote:
After a few US posters mentioned the sky bias, I did notice at 1 point in China a distinct difference between the C4 and Sky commentary teams - the Mercedes double stop.

After Bottas came on the radio saying 'don't cost me time' the C4 team both commented that he had to slow before entering the box and lost a bit of time. The Sky team however, were both blowing their minds with what they called a perfect double stop.

I'm not saying the stops weren't good and neither did C4, but they did point out the flaws whereas Sky were all about how amazing Mercedes were. To me, that is a perfect example of the bias Sky have and why I'm a fan of Crofty and Brundle.

I'm assuming you mean not a fan of these two or a fan of Ben Edwards and David Coulthard? Just based on your previous wording.

I've noticed similar issues with Sky for ages. DC and Edwards are way better at noticing small details and estimating what could be happening. I remember in the 2015 British Grand Prix when Williams jumped Mercedes at the start and were in the lead for some time. Mercedes were getting ready to pit but Coulthard seemed to aromatically know it was a dummy stop. Sky mentioned nothing about this and seemed to assume it was normal.I think DC is better than brundle now just because of his more recent knowledge and ben edwards is way better than crofty as he actually sounds passionate about what he commentated about rather than just shouting at a microphone. I don't know if I would rather keep a good highlights program in the future or have these two more to sky. The commentary on sky has always been really bad IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:18 am 

I've not watched any C4 coverage yet this year, I took the plunge and added Sky F1 to my package for the offer price of £10 a month for the next two years (given that my ISP are currently offering me the Sky entertainment package for free instead of £20 a month for 18 months I thought it was worth the money).

I will say though, based on what Iv'e seen from Sky so far, that apart from Martin Brundle, who I've always rated, and Anthony Davidson and now Karun Chandhok, the rest are in my opinion nowhere near the quality of the C4 team.

It just all feels so wooden to me on Sky F1. I know Steve Jones can be a bit over the top sometimes, but the banter between him and DC, Mark Webber, EJ et al seems so less "forced" than it does on Sky, if that makes sense?

*edited to add* - I tend to see past most of the bias etc when watching races, probably because I form my own opinions and have been following F1 for so long now (35 years or so). My partner, if she's sitting watching with me (usually on her phone half the time as she's not really THAT interested), often says "didn't you say that a while ago?" when the commentary team mention something I have noticed before they say anything.....

Last edited by SteveW on Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:27 am 

SteveW wrote:
I've not watched any C4 coverage yet this year, I took the plunge and added Sky F1 to my package for the offer price of £10 a month for the next two years (given that my ISP are currently offering me the Sky entertainment package for free instead of £20 a month for 18 months I thought it was worth the money).

I will say though, based on what Iv'e seen from Sky so far, that apart from Martin Brundle, who I've always rated, and Anthony Davidson and now Karun Chandhok, the rest are in my opinion nowhere near the quality of the C4 team.

It just all feels so wooden to me on Sky F1. I know Steve Jones can be a bit over the top sometimes, but the banter between him and DC, Mark Webber, EJ et al seems so less "forced" than it does on Sky, if that makes sense?

Agree strongly, Steve Jones has the right mix of being extrovert but confident in his delivery and carries it well to my mind, not intimidated by big names either.
I think Sky's access denial to the grid for interviews is shameful and shows how much they are threatened. C4's interview with Alain Prost was excellent and quite revealing.

EDIT Recent Tour of Whisper Films on Twitter: https://twitter.com/mrjakehumphrey/status/1121450332436017154

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:50 pm 

I see the £10 per month Sky offer is being advertised on radio again, with the same end-date of April 1st? Does that mean next year now or couldn't they be arsed to record a new ad?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:27 pm 

Man channel 4 seem to be showing a low of adverts about the new home of formula 1. Wonder if they are forced to squeeze more of these in-between the coverage....

I watch a lot of channel 4 programs and in the adverts between other shows, i see this far less often. So many things are just making me hate sky more and more. Crofty has just been driving me insane this weekend. It was so satisfying when horner sounded like he was politely telling him to shut up when he was suggesting things for red bull to do. horner just told him to stick to commentary and they will make the decisions :D

I honestly do think that a massive majority of people would rather not have crofty on the coverage at all. I'd easily say over 70%. He is just so irritating. Even with the restrictions Channel 4 have, the pair of DC and BE are just so much better. Even Mark webber who is replacing DC this weekend is a joy to hear compared to listening to sky.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:58 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
I honestly do think that a massive majority of people would rather not have crofty on the coverage at all. I'd easily say over 70%. He is just so irritating. Even with the restrictions Channel 4 have, the pair of DC and BE are just so much better. Even Mark webber who is replacing DC this weekend is a joy to hear compared to listening to sky.
Agreed.

I'd almost (almost) go so far to say that I'd prefer to see James Allen back with Brundle instead of Crofty. Annoying as he was, at least he had an idea about what he was talking about most of the time......