planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:10 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:15 am 

I thought it was a disaster when the sky deal was announced but things move on and I really like the C4 coverage. Not being able to watch live has been a surprisingly easy transition. I thought I would miss Brundle (or at least the DC/Brundle team), but turns out I don’t.

For me weekend afternoons are the absolute best part of the week, so not spending that time in front of the TV has been such a positive thing that I don’t think I’d go back to the old way of viewing even if it were available to me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:26 am 

Biffa wrote:
I thought it was a disaster when the sky deal was announced but things move on and I really like the C4 coverage. Not being able to watch live has been a surprisingly easy transition. I thought I would miss Brundle (or at least the DC/Brundle team), but turns out I don’t.

For me weekend afternoons are the absolute best part of the week, so not spending that time in front of the TV has been such a positive thing that I don’t think I’d go back to the old way of viewing even if it were available to me.

the main issue for me with doing this would be that hearing the resuts would ruin it. And it is so hard to avoid seeing no internet involving the results, tv, hearing radio, seeing news for the multiple hours sky make you wait before channel 4 are allowed to show you the highlights. Then I prsonally find the adverts between the race too annying, so if i was doing this, i would probably rather pause it for half an hour before watching and flicking through the ads.

In terms f what channel 4 do cover, and the way they do it, i still think it is more enjoyable than sky. Sky are shockingly poor given that they cost so much.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:46 am 

Agree, the coverage of qualifying and GP at Abu Dhabi was excellent, there was an interview with Toto Wolff where he gave a brilliant insight into the negotiations with Hamilton and I'm sure Toto said more than he intended. The questions from Steve Jones are gently in your face and there are elements of humour. Its a very good watch.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:33 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Does anyone else find that despite paying for Sky, they never end up watching anything but qualifying and the races? While also skipping out the coverage before both too... I started following F1 to the point where I would watch F1 every race and every practice session if i could from 2014 onwards. When it was on the BBC and live on Channel 4, I would always watch all of this and the full program if I could.

But now, despite having paid nearly £200 for the sky 9 months deal, I find myself skipping everything other than 5 minutes before the race and qualifying starts. It isn't the action on track that i am finding boring or anything, it is down the the simply awful presentation from sky and certain particular members of the team. Crofty being the worst and in my case closely followed by Kravitz (although i can understand why some may like him). But he was actually a good presenter when he was on the BBC. He seems to have got infected by crofty with his stupid and painful jokes that i find him really tedious. Especially when they both discuss unrelated rubbish at length during coverage!

I really am thinking to myself that I may not bother watching F1 live next year. The Channel 4 highlights was more enjoyable to watch and showed most of what I felt I needed to see. The only disadvantage being as I said, less coverage and it isn't live. But man are the commentators and team as a whole so much better. I record and keep every channel 4 race and flick through it to get a different point of view in the race and qualifying to what sky have given, and they certainly seem more focussed to what is happening. And if Ben Edwards makes a mistake, he will apologise. Not interrupt like Crofty only to talk about unrelated rubbish.

It is a real shame, but I really do feel like it is because of sky that I am loosing interest in wanting to watch as much of the coverage. Despite paying, I find myself far less bothered about missing a weekend, maybe because I know the Channel 4 coverage will be better later on.

Unless the Sky coverage price drops significantly, I feel I may not get the deal for 9 months next year. I may just buy the occasional race weekend pass. It really doesn't feel worth the price I paid given how irritated i get every time I watch any session.

I'm exactly the same got the Sky F1 Pass, started off with good intentions... but found myself watching just thr live sessions, or even waiting for Channel 4s highlights.

Might not bother getting sky next year.

It might partly be down to how the season panned out? Wasn't the most exciting of years....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:42 pm 

I may be going against the trend here, but I really enjoy the sky coverage. OK, Croft is always on top of things, but then I loved Murray Walker and he was never on top of things!

I enjoy their insights on the sport, the radio control car challenges are always amusing, Ted's post race notebook is normally excellent with him getting inside all the teams and getting more reasoned comments from the teams as they've had a little time to digest the race.

I also love the bits away from races like Brundle driving Senna's 88 McLaren, Karun driving the first Williams F1 car and other older cars being driven.

I also enjoy watching F2 racing and that's well covered by Sky. Listening to Davide Valsecchi is a lot of fun. So much passion!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:35 am 

Slightly off-topic but has anyone watched Amazon Prime's UK football coverage this week? I have to say I was very impressed.

Some highlights for me:
- 4K streaming
- Ability to switch off commentary (I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did)
- Split-screen stats
- Viewing on multiple devices (three I believe)

As much I want it back, I'm enough of a realist to know that FTA coverage is dead. But once the Sky deal with F1 ends, Liberty should seriously consider switching to Amazon. Imagine being able to watch the main feed on your TV, an on-board on your tablet and the timing screen on your phone.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:01 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
Slightly off-topic but has anyone watched Amazon Prime's UK football coverage this week? I have to say I was very impressed.

Some highlights for me:
- 4K streaming
- Ability to switch off commentary (I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did)
- Split-screen stats
- Viewing on multiple devices (three I believe)

As much I want it back, I'm enough of a realist to know that FTA coverage is dead. But once the Sky deal with F1 ends, Liberty should seriously consider switching to Amazon. Imagine being able to watch the main feed on your TV, an on-board on your tablet and the timing screen on your phone.

I have two relatively minor problems with Amazon’s coverage this week.

1. The opta win percentage predictor thing. People watching football don’t need/want to know what the statistical chances of a team winning are. That belongs with the tyre life graphic, in the bin.
2. The games aren’t completely live, they’re about 30 Seconds behind meaning that if you switch off the Amazon commentary, you can’t replace it with radio commentary for example. And as someone who likes to see what others are saying on Twitter about a game, I have to be careful when refreshing that I don’t see any spoilers.