planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Which driver will win the Mercedes PF1 TMW vote in 2019?
Poll ended at Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:26 pm
Lewis Hamilton 96%  96%  [ 26 ]
Valtteri Bottas 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 27
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:26 pm 

Eight down, two to go in our TMW prediction threads. And yes, while I was planning on doing them all in order of which the teams finished the 2018 WCC, I realised that would leave Mercedes as the last vote. A vote that let's be honest, isn't going to be particularly surprising, or really provoke much discussion beyond 'how big will Hamilton's gap be?' and 'Will Bottas make it to the end of 2019 without Mercedes dropping him?. So because the Ferrari one might actually be more interesting, I've decided to do that one last and do Mercedes now.

So Mercedes! Let's pretend like I didn't just say how lopsided I expect this to be :lol:

2018 wasn't a good year for Valtteri Bottas. It didn't start too badly but between misfortune and a whole lack of pace compared to Lewis - who drove what was arguably his most complete season in F1 - by the end of the year it was a crushing, crushing defeat for the Finn. If 2019 ends up being as bad then he's surely not going to be given another year, not with Esteban Ocon waiting in the wings. It is true that over their two seasons as teammates, Bottas has occasionally shown he give Lewis a hard time come Sunday, but there is no question that he needs to start doing that on a much more consistent basis if he's to even keep close to his teammate over the duration of 2019. The big question is whether he is truly capable of doing so?

The irony for Lewis is that he would probably quite like Valtteri to have a better 2019. While I'm not going to suggest Hamilton would 'fear' a different teammate, it goes without saying that the biggest strength of the Hamilton/Bottas pairing has been how well they've worked together. There have been none of the issues that blighted the Rosberg/Hamilton pairing so from that point of view, Lewis isn't going to be in any hurry to see Bottas replaced. Of course, he's not about to start driving a tenth or two slower to try and make Bottas look closer than he actually is, and I'm pretty confident that given the choice between claiming his sixth WDC and losing Bottas as his teammate, or keeping Bottas but not winning the WDC in 2019, the answer is completely obvious. And while he would never say it publicly, I can't imagine he would think of Esteban Ocon as much more of a threat than Bottas is...

Anyway, who do we think will win the Mercedes PF1 TMW vote: Lewis Hamilton or Valtteri Bottas?

Results So Far:
Red Bull: Max Verstappen 94% - 6% Pierre Gasly
Renault: Daniel Ricciardo 87% - 13% Nico Hulkenberg
Haas: Romain Grosjean 83% - 17% Kevin Magnussen
McLaren: Carlos Sainz 73% - 27% Lando Norris
Racing Point Force India: Sergio Perez 87% - 13% Lance Stroll
Sauber: Kimi Raikkonen 88% - 12% Antonio Giovinazzi
Toro Rosso: Daniil Kvyat 60% - 40% Alex Albon
Williams: George Russell 75% - 25% Robert Kubica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:39 pm 

This is the hard one ;)

I have a feeling that Bottas will not improve and with such a performance I see big chance he's going to be replaced by Ocon during the season.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:14 pm 

I can't see any way Lewis won't be victorious at the end of the season in this battle.

I'd like it to be closer than last season though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:27 pm 

It's difficult to see why the form book would suddenly change from the past two years. Hamilton to come out on top but with Bottas beating him on the odd occasion.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:58 pm 

One of the easier ones to predict. If Ferrari are stronger than last season relative to Mercedes then Bottas will probably be forced into 'wingman' duties earlier.

For Bottas to win, he would need even more to fall into his lap than Rosberg benefited from in 2016. Blttas also has to contend with the harrowing prospect that even an against all odds TMW victory over Hamilton may not mean a world title.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:12 pm 

Anybody who votes for Bottas is either from his home town, or simply a provocateur. Hamilton will win easily.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:11 pm 

The only thing that could open this up would be Hamilton emulating Schumacher's 1999 season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:23 am 

Ok, who's the brave soul?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:36 am 

Hamilton to win, not much to see here.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 26th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:03 pm 

Mayox wrote:
This is the hard one ;)

I have a feeling that Bottas will not improve and with such a performance I see big chance he's going to be replaced by Ocon during the season.

Not sure why you see a big chance of that. Mercedes are not like Red Bull. And Bottas has looked decent, or pretty strong in the first half of the season. Bottas's performance has not been that bad. Hamilton's strength is just making him look worse than he is. It would take a truly dreadful chunk of races for Mercedes to leave him without a seat before the season ends. And I don't think many people would call his 2nd half of the season dreadful. He didn't exactly make any huge mistakes. He just was often well off the pace of who is clearly incredibly strong. It also has to be said that Bottas has really helped Hamilton over some of the more recent races. If Bottas had ignored team orders and chosen his own strategy, I'd say Hamilton will have quite possibly lost 3 or more wins.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:19 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Mayox wrote:
This is the hard one ;)

Not sure why you see a big chance of that. Mercedes are not like Red Bull. And Bottas has looked decent, or pretty strong in the first half of the season. Bottas's performance has not been that bad. Hamilton's strength is just making him look worse than he is. It would take a truly dreadful chunk of races for Mercedes to leave him without a seat before the season ends. And I don't think many people would call his 2nd half of the season dreadful. He didn't exactly make any huge mistakes. He just was often well off the pace of who is clearly incredibly strong. It also has to be said that Bottas has really helped Hamilton over some of the more recent races. If Bottas had ignored team orders and chosen his own strategy, I'd say Hamilton will have quite possibly lost 3 or more wins.

I doubt Bottas will be replaced mid-season. He'd have to be far worse than he's been for that to happen. Mercedes aren't mucking about. They're trying to win championships. The discord and disruption that a mid-season replacement would cause would simply not be worth it. In fact, if Bottas has a season as strong as 2017 and Mercedes win both championships, they will probably pick up his option for 2020. I don't think Ocon is in as strong of a position as some people believe.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:25 pm 

Mercedes aren't going to replace Bottas mid-season. I expect things to be pretty tight between them and Ferrari, and parachuting Ocon in mid-season is more likely to cost them points short-term than it is to help them gain points. There is also a certain loyalty between Toto and Bottas, and while that will ultimately not be enough to keep him that seat if he underperforms, I do think it would be enough to save him from the humiliation of being replaced before the end of the season.