planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:53 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:21 am 

I feel sorry for Russell here, he was the class of the F2 field last year but he's not going to be able to prove anything while trundling around at the back. Meanwhile Norris and Albon, who were less impressive in F2, have been presented with far greater opportunities. I don't see what Russell could possibly do in that car that might put him in contention for the Mercedes seat, which is surely his ultimate goal.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:32 am 

j man wrote:
I feel sorry for Russell here, he was the class of the F2 field last year but he's not going to be able to prove anything while trundling around at the back. Meanwhile Norris and Albon, who were less impressive in F2, have been presented with far greater opportunities. I don't see what Russell could possibly do in that car that might put him in contention for the Mercedes seat, which is surely his ultimate goal.

He could do an Alonso 2001 type season, so there are no excuses for Russell. If he is a true top talent then he will find a way to show it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:36 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
j man wrote:

He could do an Alonso 2001 type season, so there are no excuses for Russell. If he is a true top talent then he will find a way to show it.

The Minardi was far more competitive in 2001 than the Williams looks like being this season. A good performance in quali and Alonso could beat a couple of people. That's not possible for Russell based on the pace we saw this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:27 pm 

I don't think it's hyperbole to say they are in grave trouble. They are in shambles and don't seem to know where to look and what to do.

It is such a shame and I genuinely hope they can turn it around before it is too late.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:32 pm 

TheBlackFlag wrote:
I don't think it's hyperbole to say they are in grave trouble. They are in shambles and don't seem to know where to look and what to do.

It is such a shame and I genuinely hope they can turn it around before it is too late.

They need a bail out. They need to swallow their pride and work out a deal with Mercedes to be a B-Team for a while. That's their only path to survival in the short run. In the long run; they need some very serious restructuring and it starts at the top. I don't like calling for people's heads but look at what has happened to this team over the last few years. They have been on a steady downward trajectory since 2014 and they now find themselves well and truly at the bottom of the pack. It's time for a new direction and that means that both Claire and Frank need to take a step back and bring in some new leadership. Throwing Paddy under the bus and then not even bothering to replace him didn't fool anyone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:33 pm 

j man wrote:

After what happened to Alexander Rossi a couple of years back at Manor, you're clearly right. Guy had some spirited drives in a terrible car and now nothing. It's too bad, really.

Too bad VAG can't come in and save them. That's a whole different discussion though. F1 is just too expensive for some of the big manufacturer's tastes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:50 pm 

Maranello1 wrote:
j man wrote:

After what happened to Alexander Rossi a couple of years back at Manor, you're clearly right. Guy had some spirited drives in a terrible car and now nothing. It's too bad, really.

Too bad VAG can't come in and save them. That's a whole different discussion though. F1 is just too expensive for some of the big manufacturer's tastes.

I was hoping they would take the Honda deal back when Mclaren wanted out. Seeing how they are going with Red Bull, I’m glad they didn’t, because it would have been more of the same for Honda.

They have the best engine on the grid, and they are still well and truly last. I’m worried for them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:53 am 

Williams might not last in F1 if this form stays where it is. There used to be new teams that propped up any ailing midfield teams. Now the newest team is chasing the top 3. They are in trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:00 pm 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 50CUR.html

could be months until they fix the "fundamental problem" they found. sheesh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:54 am 

Can anyone else foresee an engine swap between Mclaren and Williams?
That’s my bold prediction, Mclaren will negotiate and get themselves a Merc deal at the expense of Williams

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:17 am 

Charles LeBrad wrote:
That’s my bold prediction, Mclaren will negotiate and get themselves a Merc deal at the expense of Williams

I don't know. There's a certain logic but OTOH there have been claims before that Mercedes don't treat their customers equally but there haven't with Renault. It was bad enough McLaren shooting themselves in the foot by letting go of Honda and if they now try to jump to Mercedes to be their customer team then they may as well sell off the trophy cabinets as they won't ever need them again.

Red Bull managed to be a force with Renault power. If McLaren can't then they can't blame it on the PU IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:56 am 

Charles LeBrad wrote:
They did it with the Honda engine in 1988, so it wouldn't surprise me. Williams ended up with the Judd engine that year until they got the Renault in 1989.

But as has been said I'm not sure McLaren will be any better off with a Merc engine anyway, so there doesn't seem to be much point?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:43 am 

Charles LeBrad wrote:

What would be in it for Merc? I think it makes much more sense for them to have Williams as a customer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:23 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Charles LeBrad wrote:

What would be in it for Merc? I think it makes much more sense for them to have Williams as a customer.

Haven't Williams used Mercedes engines in the past?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:50 pm 

Kev627 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Charles LeBrad wrote:

Haven't Williams used Mercedes engines in the past?

They use them now?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:20 pm 

So, Patrick Head's been drafted back in.......

https://www.planetf1.com/news/head-retu ... onsultant/

I was hoping they'd do that last year! Although I don't know how much difference even the great Sir Patrick can make these days. Time will tell I guess, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:19 pm 

SteveW wrote:
So, Patrick Head's been drafted back in.......

https://www.planetf1.com/news/head-retu ... onsultant/

I was hoping they'd do that last year! Although I don't know how much difference even the great Sir Patrick can make these days. Time will tell I guess, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Just seen claire talking about this.

Hopefully it helps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:35 am 

Yesterday Both drivers were driving Kubica`s car due to massive issues with it.
Lack of spare parts, different cars, this team is beyond pathetic.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:27 pm 

Is Paddy Lowe going to take legal action?