planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:39 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:51 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:
Before you folks shuffle Seb of to another career, just remember that Kimi spent five years at Ferrari as number two to Sebastian after he had won his one championship. During those five years, 2014-2018, Kimi won exactly one race. (US GP in 2018)

Kimi is a different guy. I think Kimi was able to swallow his pride (or perhaps he is just generally more humble to begin with) and didn't seem too bothered by the number 2 role at Ferrari. I don't think Vettel is, at all, of the same mindset. In other words, I don't think Vettel will want to stay if he is behind Charles.

I also don't think Vettel will accept that level of pay cut that Kimi did. Kimi's salary was cut from $40 million to $7 million while at Ferrari. That's a massive pay cut and Vettel will not accept that. Ferrari will not be willing to pay Vettel the way he's being paid now if his teammate actually gets the better of him. For Vettel, if he cannot remain their #1, I don't see how he can remain a Ferrari driver. Not when it's likely that either Hamilton or Verstappen will also be available.

Yeah, Seb might retire or move on, but I don't see Ferrari trying to move him out in the near future. ...at least not directly. If Seb ends up being outqualified on a semi regular basis, then Binoto will start to favor him and Seb will be in a weak place when it comes time to renegotiate his contract.

Seb might end up hanging on and limping along like Fernando ended up doing. Will have to see.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:33 pm 

I’m trying to make sense of Leclerc’s ultimate speed relative to the rest of the grid.

Last season he battered Ericsson on pure pace, something that competent drivers like Nasr and Wehrlein did not do. Then again, it’s only Ericsson.

This year he’s been up against a proper benchmark, and he’s outqualified Vettel 8 times in a row. Adjusted for reliability in Austria and Germany, that’s still 6 times in a row. That is mighty impressive.

My intuition tells me that he’s very close to Hamilton and Verstappen. Obviously it’s all guesswork, but that’s why I think.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:22 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
I’m trying to make sense of Leclerc’s ultimate speed relative to the rest of the grid.

Last season he battered Ericsson on pure pace, something that competent drivers like Nasr and Wehrlein did not do. Then again, it’s only Ericsson.

This year he’s been up against a proper benchmark, and he’s outqualified Vettel 8 times in a row. Adjusted for reliability in Austria and Germany, that’s still 6 times in a row. That is mighty impressive.

My intuition tells me that he’s very close to Hamilton and Verstappen. Obviously it’s all guesswork, but that’s why I think.

My gut feeling is that he's a little bit faster than Ricciardo right now, and not quite as fast as Max or Lewis. But most importantly, he's visibly getting better and better throughout the season. He may be the same age as Max, but I think we need to keep in mind that a) he's still 21, which is still quite young and b) this is his second season. He's not done finding his ultimate level yet, whereas Hamilton definitely is and Max probably is.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:36 pm 

Exediron wrote:
KingVoid wrote:

My gut feeling is that he's a little bit faster than Ricciardo right now, and not quite as fast as Max or Lewis. But most importantly, he's visibly getting better and better throughout the season. He may be the same age as Max, but I think we need to keep in mind that a) he's still 21, which is still quite young and b) this is his second season. He's not done finding his ultimate level yet, whereas Hamilton definitely is and Max probably is.

I wouldn't look to disagree with you it's close to how I feel.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:13 pm 

So, apparently Leclerc dumped his now former girlfriend, Giadi Gianni, to dedicate his life, body and soul to Ferrari, as reported by the highly reputable and much venerated Daily Express, Sun, and Daily Star.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:26 pm 

Invade wrote:
So, apparently Leclerc dumped his now former girlfriend, Giadi Gianni, to dedicate his life, body and soul to Ferrari, as reported by the highly reputable and much venerated Daily Express, Sun, and Daily Star.

I think Charles is now realizing how close he is to the title. He can beat Vettel and Ferrari can produce the fastest car. Having seen and experienced what it is to be able to rip off 4 straight poles; he will be VERY serious about winning the title next year.

I think Charles's first 2 years in F1 have gone very well so far. Sure there have been some mistakes here and there but every driver has those in their first couple of years. What we've seen is that he destroyed the pay-driver-level performer in Ericsson and he has quickly taken the upper-hand against the 4-time WDC in his first year with Ferrari. His outright pace is undeniable. The kid is super-quick. On Saturdays he's up there with the best of them already and that's very impressive because he is in F1 at a time when there are a ton of guys who are very quick over a single lap. During the races it has been a bit more hit and miss. His race pace is generally quite strong but there have been a few rounds where he has lagged behind Seb in race pace noticeably. I'm tempted to chalk that up to experience but let's keep an eye on it. He has also been on (and perhaps over) the limit in his defending both at Silverstone and again at Monza. That's something to keep an eye on as well.

As I already mentioned; he has also made quite a few significant errors both in qualifying and the races. He is not the finished product at all yet and that's the scary part about Charles. It's very easy to compare him to Max because they are the same age and will probably be rivals for the next decade but as others have mentioned, Charles is only scratching the surface of what he will eventually become wheres Max is much further along in his development at this level.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:35 am 

Mort Canard wrote:
Yeah, Seb might retire or move on, but I don't see Ferrari trying to move him out in the near future. ...at least not directly. If Seb ends up being outqualified on a semi regular basis, then Binoto will start to favor him and Seb will be in a weak place when it comes time to renegotiate his contract.

Seb might end up hanging on and limping along like Fernando ended up doing. Will have to see.

the biggest difference was that Fernando was not losing to his teammates then. He was upset with the car not being able to win the wdc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:39 am 

sandman1347 wrote:

He has also been on (and perhaps over) the limit in his defending both at Silverstone and again at Monza. That's something to keep an eye on as well.

As I already mentioned; he has also made quite a few significant errors both in qualifying and the races. He is not the finished product at all yet and that's the scary part about Charles. It's very easy to compare him to Max because they are the same age and will probably be rivals for the next decade but as others have mentioned, Charles is only scratching the surface of what he will eventually become wheres Max is much further along in his development at this level.

if he wasn't over the limit at Monza, he wouldn't have won.

Leclerc is only in year 2. Max has had 5 years. So there's still room to grow, more for Leclerc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:42 am 

Invade wrote:

imo, it's better to keep the girlfriend. Many drivers were champions, being married or in a relationship. Some even had children and won titles. A balance is always good and helps one destress too by confiding in each other and other ways. Hopefully, he gets another.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:02 am 

trento wrote:
Invade wrote:

imo, it's better to keep the girlfriend. Many drivers were champions, being married or in a relationship. Some even had children and won titles. A balance is always good and helps one destress too by confiding in each other and other ways. Hopefully, he gets another.

Lewis is single and has done ok-ish though!