planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:39 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:39 pm
Posts: 3305
I was concerned that after Hamilton and Vettel's generation retired, Verstappen was going to find himself in a talent vacuum similar to Schumacher after Senna died. Leclerc's performance this weekend shows he has at least one peer, for raw speed/natural talent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 9514
WDC 2019 :D 8) :o

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 24693
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
I was concerned that after Hamilton and Vettel's generation retired, Verstappen was going to find himself in a talent vacuum similar to Schumacher after Senna died. Leclerc's performance this weekend shows he has at least one peer, for raw speed/natural talent.

+1
I was thinking exactly the same after yesterday's race. It's good to know there could be strong talent still emerging


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:05 pm
Posts: 2630
Location: Finland
Zoue wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
I was concerned that after Hamilton and Vettel's generation retired, Verstappen was going to find himself in a talent vacuum similar to Schumacher after Senna died. Leclerc's performance this weekend shows he has at least one peer, for raw speed/natural talent.

+1
I was thinking exactly the same after yesterday's race. It's good to know there could be strong talent still emerging

I can't wait to see the Leclerc vs. Verstappen rivalry. Could be legendary. 8)

_________________
“I'm happy, but there's nothing to jump around about.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 2092
Leclerc does appear to be a part of a potentially strong generation. It's early days but there are promising signs also from Lando Norris and even George Russell.

We know Max is very quick, and Leclerc might be a match.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 2092
Charles is one of the nicest guys in sport I can think of right now, but he isn't just nice and plain but also quite an interesting character. I think it's going to be tremendous fun to watch him develop as a racer and a top sportsman this year. I'm not a Ferrari fan but Leclerc easily overrides that moderate distaste.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 7049
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
I was concerned that after Hamilton and Vettel's generation retired, Verstappen was going to find himself in a talent vacuum similar to Schumacher after Senna died. Leclerc's performance this weekend shows he has at least one peer, for raw speed/natural talent.

Someone always emerges


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 30252
mas wrote:
Based on the fact that Hamilton hit his fastest lap of 1:33.528 on lap 36 and Leclerc hit his fastest lap of 1:33.411 on lap 38 with a lighter car with both fastest laps two laps after the last pitstop for mediums.

http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... %20Leclerc

Hamilton was in DRS range of Vettel.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 32nd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 30252
jimmyj wrote:
Pretty impressive to be comparing Hammy and Charles already. I really like Leclerc, my new favourite driver.

Yeah he's easily likeable.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 32nd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 30252
Mort Canard wrote:
kleefton wrote:
mas wrote:
Based on the fact that Hamilton hit his fastest lap of 1:33.528 on lap 36 and Leclerc hit his fastest lap of 1:33.411 on lap 38 with a lighter car with both fastest laps two laps after the last pitstop for mediums.

http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... %20Leclerc


Ferrari still had a straight line speed advantage though. It's harder to pass cars that are quicker in a straight line. And there was no collision with Lewis's pass. He completed the maneuver cleanly. He was actually already past and then Vettel spun in an attempt to launch a futile counter attack.

:thumbup: :nod:

Even Seb blamed himself for the spin.

Vettel always seems to be quite honest with such things.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 32nd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 30252
froze wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
I was concerned that after Hamilton and Vettel's generation retired, Verstappen was going to find himself in a talent vacuum similar to Schumacher after Senna died. Leclerc's performance this weekend shows he has at least one peer, for raw speed/natural talent.

+1
I was thinking exactly the same after yesterday's race. It's good to know there could be strong talent still emerging

I can't wait to see the Leclerc vs. Verstappen rivalry. Could be legendary. 8)

I wonder what Verstappen must be thinking now with his decision to stay with Red Bull?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 32nd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2375
pokerman wrote:
froze wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
I was concerned that after Hamilton and Vettel's generation retired, Verstappen was going to find himself in a talent vacuum similar to Schumacher after Senna died. Leclerc's performance this weekend shows he has at least one peer, for raw speed/natural talent.

+1
I was thinking exactly the same after yesterday's race. It's good to know there could be strong talent still emerging

I can't wait to see the Leclerc vs. Verstappen rivalry. Could be legendary. 8)

I wonder what Verstappen must be thinking now with his decision to stay with Red Bull?

Did Verstappen not get an offer from Mercedes for 2019?

He should have taken it tbh. I don’t think Red Bull will be WDC contenders until 2021, which will be his seventh season in F1.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 30252
KingVoid wrote:
pokerman wrote:
froze wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
I was concerned that after Hamilton and Vettel's generation retired, Verstappen was going to find himself in a talent vacuum similar to Schumacher after Senna died. Leclerc's performance this weekend shows he has at least one peer, for raw speed/natural talent.

+1
I was thinking exactly the same after yesterday's race. It's good to know there could be strong talent still emerging

I can't wait to see the Leclerc vs. Verstappen rivalry. Could be legendary. 8)

I wonder what Verstappen must be thinking now with his decision to stay with Red Bull?

Did Verstappen not get an offer from Mercedes for 2019?

He should have taken it tbh. I don’t think Red Bull will be WDC contenders until 2021, which will be his seventh season in F1.

It probably was 2019?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 32nd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:33 pm
Posts: 2092
Where do you guys reckon Leclerc will win his first races?

My picks are ESP and CAN, for two wins in the first 10 races of the season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 6027
Invade wrote:
Where do you guys reckon Leclerc will win his first races?

My picks are ESP and CAN, for two wins in the first 10 races of the season.

Baku


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 6733
Location: Michigan, USA
Invade wrote:
Where do you guys reckon Leclerc will win his first races?

My picks are ESP and CAN, for two wins in the first 10 races of the season.

China or Baku. I don't think he'll wait long.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 am
Posts: 2375
In F2, Leclerc took pole in Baku, won the feature race, and then won the sprint race from 8th (reverse grid). Last year he finished 6th in his Sauber.

I know that’s not a big sample size, but still.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:53 am
Posts: 129
KingVoid wrote:
pokerman wrote:
froze wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
I was concerned that after Hamilton and Vettel's generation retired, Verstappen was going to find himself in a talent vacuum similar to Schumacher after Senna died. Leclerc's performance this weekend shows he has at least one peer, for raw speed/natural talent.

+1
I was thinking exactly the same after yesterday's race. It's good to know there could be strong talent still emerging

I can't wait to see the Leclerc vs. Verstappen rivalry. Could be legendary. 8)

I wonder what Verstappen must be thinking now with his decision to stay with Red Bull?

Did Verstappen not get an offer from Mercedes for 2019?

He should have taken it tbh. I don’t think Red Bull will be WDC contenders until 2021, which will be his seventh season in F1.


Even so, Verstappen will still be very young so he has plenty of time, although he will need to win a championship fairly soon if he wants to get 8+ WDC's by the end of his career.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group