planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:20 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:50 pm 

Could this be the year we see some fresh young new faces on top of the podium? Leclerc seems comfortable in the Ferrari, Norris might just set F1 alight if McLaren have managed to get the car right? Maybe grab a lucky win if the Ferraris crash or in a wet race? I am not sure if Mercedes have got the car working yet?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:57 pm 

Leclerc yes, Norris no.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:33 pm 

I'm sure Leclerc will bag more than 1 win. Norris won't, but I wouldn't be surprised with a variety of podiums for non Big Three teams in the first third of the season... maybe even further.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:56 pm 

If Ferrari have the car to beat then Leclerc is going to win races. As for Norris, if (and that's a big if because it is still only testing) Mclaren have made a decent step forward, it's hard to imagine they would be anything more than fastest of the 'Formula 1.5' teams. It would take a pretty exception sequence of events for anyone other than Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull to win a race if there is still clear daylight between the top three and the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:19 pm 

McLaren say they were doing qualifying sims yesterday to get their chart topping time and yet they were still nearly a second behind Leclerc’s time today. If that is accurate then it doesn’t look like McLaren will e troubling the top teams anytime soon. Bit disappointing, really

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:27 pm 

Zoue wrote:
McLaren say they were doing qualifying sims yesterday to get their chart topping time and yet they were still nearly a second behind Leclerc’s time today. If that is accurate then it doesn’t look like McLaren will e troubling the top teams anytime soon. Bit disappointing, really

Yep. Sadly they appear to be miles off the top teams but then again that was to be expected.

Oh well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:32 pm 

Leclerc will I'm sure and Norris wont, Macca are still too far away and will be for a while if Sainz is to be believed.They were open about doing quali sims and he doesn't think they'll trouble the top 5.

Having a good base so they can have a consistent year development wise for McLaren is about the best you can hope for outside of a crazy and wet Baku or suchlike until Key and Seidl arrive and make an impact you'd think. Zak's plan was a 5-10 year recovery remember, its certainly not going to happen in one winter before those two guys even arrive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:30 pm 

Never mind race wins, i'm putting a fiver on Leclerc for the title.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:56 pm 

If the Ferrari is competitive then it is hard to see Leclerc not getting a win.

McLaren are still nowhere near winning IMO.

Blog: Car #36

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:10 pm 

Invade wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Yep. Sadly they appear to be miles off the top teams but then again that was to be expected.

Oh well.

McLaren's qualifying run was on the C4 tyre, Leclerc's time was on the C5.

Now, Leclerc says he wasn't pushing flat out, so there's some more gap there. But you can't compare a lap on two different tyres and say Ferrari is a full second ahead already.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:07 pm 

In dominant Ferrari, I could see Leclerc grabbing 3-4 wins in a season. Its too much to expect more at this point from him. No chance of McLaren scoring a win in normal race. So no to Norris.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:27 pm 

I do not think either of them will win a race this year. Norris will not even get any podium anytime soon. Their team mates will comfortably beat them

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:15 pm 

Mercedes-Benz wrote:
I do not think either of them will win a race this year. Norris will not even get any podium anytime soon. Their team mates will comfortably beat them

That's a bold prediction, to be honest. Ferrari is looking like the class of the field based on testing, so what you're saying is that Vettel will beat Leclerc every single time the car is capable of a win, including that Vettel will never DNF from the lead, suffer a bad pit stop, etc.

It took a big dose of bad luck - and team orders - for Bottas to fail to win a race last year. I'll be quite surprised if Leclerc is further away from Vettel than Bottas is from Hamilton.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:27 am 

I would lay a bet on Leclerc winning a race this year, as for Norris he may never win a race?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:40 am 

pokerman wrote:
I would lay a bet on Leclerc winning a race this year, as for Norris he may never win a race?

He may never, but you could say the same of any rookie coming into F1 in a non-race winning car (which is almost every rookie). Any speculation on Norris' career before he's driven in a single GP is pretty pointless.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:46 am 

What about Gasly? He's more likely to win a race than Norris.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:44 am 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

He may never, but you could say the same of any rookie coming into F1 in a non-race winning car (which is almost every rookie). Any speculation on Norris' career before he's driven in a single GP is pretty pointless.

Well the comparison is that Leclerc has actually proved himself to a point and now has got himself a top gig in what's looking to be the fastest car whereas Norris hasn't proven anything yet and may crash and burn just like Vandoorne did who came into F1 with arguably better credentials than Norris.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:45 am 

Desert Storm wrote:
What about Gasly? He's more likely to win a race than Norris.

Yes that would be more apt to compare.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:06 am 

I'd be surprised to see Leclerc not snatch a win or 2 this year & i'd like to see him challenge for the WC.

It'l take a massive stroke of luck for Norris to get a win.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 303 spots available, 23 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:34 am 

Exediron wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:

That's a bold prediction, to be honest. Ferrari is looking like the class of the field based on testing, so what you're saying is that Vettel will beat Leclerc every single time the car is capable of a win, including that Vettel will never DNF from the lead, suffer a bad pit stop, etc.

It took a big dose of bad luck - and team orders - for Bottas to fail to win a race last year. I'll be quite surprised if Leclerc is further away from Vettel than Bottas is from Hamilton.

It will depend on qualifying mainly and if he can get ahead of others then may be he has a chance. I am just not sure that will happen and I think in later part of season he may have to play supporting role like Bottas. I also think Max is going to give him a tough time as well. Max can probably beat him as well in WC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:20 am 

Leclerc is literally in the driver's seat. He's got arguably the strongest car & has the skills to tame the beast as well. I just hope Ferrari don't play spoilsport like how they did with Raikkonen. But Ferrari could do the opposite as Leclerc is the future superstar of Ferrari no doubt about it. They'll do anything but give him a reason to get frustrated.

As for Norris, no way. Just because he topped the times, it doesn't mean he'll win. In that sense, Albon should be included as well!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:42 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Leclerc is literally in the driver's seat. He's got arguably the strongest car & has the skills to tame the beast as well. I just hope Ferrari don't play spoilsport like how they did with Raikkonen. But Ferrari could do the opposite as Leclerc is the future superstar of Ferrari no doubt about it. They'll do anything but give him a reason to get frustrated.

As for Norris, no way. Just because he topped the times, it doesn't mean he'll win. In that sense, Albon should be included as well!

In all fairness Kimi demonstrated that his potential for beating Vettel was erratic at best and so he essentially gave them little choice but to favour Seb. Doesn't mean they will do the same with Leclerc especially if he shows he can be a contender from the start. Ferrari have basically said they will focus on Vettel at the beginning to maximise their chances (as he's proven) but if Leclerc steps up they won't hold him back

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:13 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

I've no problem with the treatment of Kimi as he was no match for Vettel just the denials of what was happening.

If the Ferrari proves to be dominant this year then Vettel will get little credit if Ferrari chose to gift him the title.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:13 pm 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I've no problem with the treatment of Kimi as he was no match for Vettel just the denials of what was happening.

If the Ferrari proves to be dominant this year then Vettel will get little credit if Ferrari chose to gift him the title.

Same way he as gifted the title at Redbull right?

Smh!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:35 pm 

Norris has very little chance, unless Macca improves at an incredible rate throughout the season.

For Leclerc it will depend on the competitive order. If the Ferrari turns out to be dominant then it will be hard not to get a win, but if it is on par with Merc and Redbull, it will be a lot harder, as Leclerc would have to beat not only Vettel, but Hamilton and Verstappen. That is not going to be easy for him to do, unless the others have a bad weekend where reliability affects them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:11 am 

Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Smh!

Webber was never good enough to challenge Vettel so I fail to see the point you are trying to make?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:20 am 

pokerman wrote:
Webber was never good enough to challenge Vettel so I fail to see the point you are trying to make?

Has there ever really been a case where a teammate was good enough to challenge the champion, but was ordered not to? Over the course of a whole season?

If Leclerc is quick enough to beat Vettel, I don't think Ferrari is going to be able to stop him from fighting. Those sorts of shenanigans only work when the driver being given preference is actually quicker.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:22 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Smh!

The point is simple but you cant see it due to your dislike of Vettel!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:37 pm 

Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Smh!

The point is simple but you cant see it due to your dislike of Vettel!

Let's end this argument here, please.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:50 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Leclerc yes, Norris no.

:thumbup: :nod:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:19 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

I am not sure about Charles. But if Ferrari has advantage in a way it can help Mercedes if both drivers are taking points from each other. Vettel is very good in Q3.