planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:47 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 31524
You must be reading my mind, I had the same thoughts about Baldassari after today, can be freakishly fast but it seems to be all or nothing and he also reminded me of Iannone.

Same with Rossi, it's only today that I've thought it's time to hang up his helmet, he's turned 40 and it's been a steady decline, no title for 10 years although he was unlucky 4 years ago, no win for 2 years whilst his teammate has had a couple of wins and he was dominant both times, also the qualifying has seen him miss Q2 50% of the time whilst his teammate has a 100% record.

However as for Rins you probably don't realise that's his first crash in 17 races and he has won a race so it's not a case of him having a nose bleed whilst in front.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 21st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 6559
pokerman wrote:
You must be reading my mind, I had the same thoughts about Baldassari after today, can be freakishly fast but it seems to be all or nothing and he also reminded me of Iannone.

Same with Rossi, it's only today that I've thought it's time to hang up his helmet, he's turned 40 and it's been a steady decline, no title for 10 years although he was unlucky 4 years ago, no win for 2 years whilst his teammate has had a couple of wins and he was dominant both times, also the qualifying has seen him miss Q2 50% of the time whilst his teammate has a 100% record.

However as for Rins you probably don't realise that's his first crash in 17 races and he has won a race so it's not a case of him having a nose bleed whilst in front.

No, I'm well aware of Rins's form. It's more a culmination of seeing him botch the Moto3 title in 2013 and then have an abysmal 2nd year in Moto2 in 2016 when everyone was expecting him to take the title going into the year. He seems to do his best work under the radar but as soon as he's in the position where he's expected to win; things seem to consistently go wrong.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 31524
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
You must be reading my mind, I had the same thoughts about Baldassari after today, can be freakishly fast but it seems to be all or nothing and he also reminded me of Iannone.

Same with Rossi, it's only today that I've thought it's time to hang up his helmet, he's turned 40 and it's been a steady decline, no title for 10 years although he was unlucky 4 years ago, no win for 2 years whilst his teammate has had a couple of wins and he was dominant both times, also the qualifying has seen him miss Q2 50% of the time whilst his teammate has a 100% record.

However as for Rins you probably don't realise that's his first crash in 17 races and he has won a race so it's not a case of him having a nose bleed whilst in front.

No, I'm well aware of Rins's form. It's more a culmination of seeing him botch the Moto3 title in 2013 and then have an abysmal 2nd year in Moto2 in 2016 when everyone was expecting him to take the title going into the year. He seems to do his best work under the radar but as soon as he's in the position where he's expected to win; things seem to consistently go wrong.

Fair enough.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 21st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 2795
Anyone watch the first MotoE? Pretty good :) You can here the kneesliders at work but a drawback seems to be if someone crashes. They are so heavy if they hit the airfence the fence blows. There are also a number of procedures to follow after a crash; in some situations it requires a red flag, the bikes has to have a special covering laid over it until a truck arrives that seals the bike inside the truck.

But from the little we saw (nearly 6 laps) it looks like good racing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 6559
Alex Marquez and Marc Marquez both dominating the championships right now. Their father must be proud.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 1166
Location: UK
Very true but that isn't the only amazing performance, Brit Cal Crutchlow 3rd at the German Grand Prix, just four days after breaking his leg while out cycling. Bikers are truly tough characters! Puts some whinging F1 drivers to shame.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 762
Location: McKinney, TX
Rins binning it was difficult to watch, but as has been stated here, when the spotlight is on him, he tends to make mistakes. Two consecutive races throwing away podiums and at least one potential win has got to grate Davide Brivio.

Vinales seems to have found something and it's nice to see him pushing his way up front----kid is naturally talented and needs support. I wonder if Yamaha has started to develop the bike around his settings a bit? In Assen he was spectacular how he caught back up to Marquez and the just flat out smoked him to the finish. These next circuits are more flowing and fast, and that seems to favor his riding style. We know at certain places Marquez will reign supreme like Austin and in Germany, but Brno might not be as favorable, and Silverstone is a bit of a question mark as we didn't race there last year. Red Bull Ring in Austria should still favor Ducati. Hopefully that'll give us some different looks at the front, especially with Yamaha (outside of Rossi) looking like they have their stuff together.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 762
Location: McKinney, TX
Brad Binder steps up to MotoGP IN 2020 with Tech 3.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp ... ktm-tech3/

Syahrin gets the Boot.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:55 pm
Posts: 6559
Cold Gin wrote:
Brad Binder steps up to MotoGP IN 2020 with Tech 3.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp ... ktm-tech3/

Syahrin gets the Boot.

I find that curious to be honest. There are other riders at that level who have done better but not yet secured a seat in MotoGP.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 2795
sandman1347 wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:
Brad Binder steps up to MotoGP IN 2020 with Tech 3.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp ... ktm-tech3/

Syahrin gets the Boot.

I find that curious to be honest. There are other riders at that level who have done better but not yet secured a seat in MotoGP.


It was always a matter of when not if, particularly given he is already a KTM rider. It will be interesting to see if Zarco goes as well. He's already had one big falling out with the team and still not delivering. Although how much of that is down to the bike is up for debate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 31524
Cold Gin wrote:
Rins binning it was difficult to watch, but as has been stated here, when the spotlight is on him, he tends to make mistakes. Two consecutive races throwing away podiums and at least one potential win has got to grate Davide Brivio.

Vinales seems to have found something and it's nice to see him pushing his way up front----kid is naturally talented and needs support. I wonder if Yamaha has started to develop the bike around his settings a bit? In Assen he was spectacular how he caught back up to Marquez and the just flat out smoked him to the finish. These next circuits are more flowing and fast, and that seems to favor his riding style. We know at certain places Marquez will reign supreme like Austin and in Germany, but Brno might not be as favorable, and Silverstone is a bit of a question mark as we didn't race there last year. Red Bull Ring in Austria should still favor Ducati. Hopefully that'll give us some different looks at the front, especially with Yamaha (outside of Rossi) looking like they have their stuff together.

I think it was this time last year that Vinales complained that Yamaha didn't listen to him only Rossi got his views across, if we remember when Vinales first joined Yamaha he was fastest in testing and fastest in the early races winning some of them, Rossi trailed in his wake but then Rossi said he didn't like the bike.

Now that Rossi is now seemingly declining a bit too much the team needs to plan more for the future rather than the commercial gains that come with having Rossi onboard.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 21st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 31524
sandman1347 wrote:
Cold Gin wrote:
Brad Binder steps up to MotoGP IN 2020 with Tech 3.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp ... ktm-tech3/

Syahrin gets the Boot.

I find that curious to be honest. There are other riders at that level who have done better but not yet secured a seat in MotoGP.

That's not the fault of Binder though the Moto2 KTM is not very good and he's been the best KTM rider, he's been a works KTM rider for the past 3 years now, he won the Moto3 title with them, moving up to MotoGP with them is a logical progression given that the poor Moto2 results are down to them and not Binder.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 21st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 762
Location: McKinney, TX
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opin ... nREMW0zTg..

Great article. I see many people disparage Márquez, stating he can’t prove his greatness unless he wins on another brand. I find most of these people wear yellow-tinted sunglasses, and can’t stand the fact he’s had the success he’s had. That being said, I’d love to see him ride a Ducati, or even a KTM. I agree in that he doesn’t have to do it to cement his greatness. I believe he’s making it look better than it really is. Anyways, thought it was worth a perusal.

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:23 am
Posts: 2795
Cold Gin wrote:
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/motogp/do-motogp-greats-need-prove-themselves-different-bikes?_gl=1%2A1ip8vja%2A_ga%2AZGZId01veXNnQ1pmdjhTcVlXOXVia0pBUzJhb1NMb3JvOVRwM0Mtazk3eThBRUJOQmtPdC1UbWp0dnREMW0zTg..

Great article. I see many people disparage Márquez, stating he can’t prove his greatness unless he wins on another brand. I find most of these people wear yellow-tinted sunglasses, and can’t stand the fact he’s had the success he’s had. That being said, I’d love to see him ride a Ducati, or even a KTM. I agree in that he doesn’t have to do it to cement his greatness. I believe he’s making it look better than it really is. Anyways, thought it was worth a perusal.


I don't see that many people thinking that. A few Rossi fanboys maybe? And the article does touch on what most think-that doing it with more than one team is an 'accomplishment'. I certainly do. Only recently we have seen that thinking in F1 at WDC level as well; with Lauda saying he used the second team argument as 'bait' to get Hamilton, and Hamilton confirming he took the bait. And for those who still have question marks hanging over Vettel; wouldn't a further WDC with Ferrari negate any doubts about his greatness?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:08 am
Posts: 173
In WSBKs, after winning the opening 11 races Bautista now trails Rea by 60+points having crashed in 5 of the last 9 races!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 28, 2005 12:46 pm
Posts: 762
Location: McKinney, TX
Silly season odds and ends...

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/motogp ... k8VwTD_pHA

_________________
I'd rather die than be overtaken.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 1166
Zazu wrote:
In WSBKs, after winning the opening 11 races Bautista now trails Rea by 60+points having crashed in 5 of the last 9 races!!


WTF! How the hell do you lose a title after a 11 race opening win streak! Rea proving consistency is all in a Championship.

_________________
"I'd rather lose a race going fast enough to win it, than win one going slow enough to lose it".
-Stirling Moss


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Motogp Season
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 31524
DOLOMITE wrote:
Zazu wrote:
In WSBKs, after winning the opening 11 races Bautista now trails Rea by 60+points having crashed in 5 of the last 9 races!!


WTF! How the hell do you lose a title after a 11 race opening win streak! Rea proving consistency is all in a Championship.

It happens with points systems that put almost as much emphasis on being consistent as winning races, all the series are like this, I would say it's done as much for commercial reasons rather than sporting reasons as in try to take the title down to the wire.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 21st

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amirb, JamWalsh, mikeyg123, Siao7 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group