planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:14 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:32 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:
I will make a bold prediction: Red Bull will not win a race this year.

That's not bold.

Bold is saying Ferrari won't win a race this year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:01 pm 

I'm predicting Leclerc to win in Baku. I think the track should really suit Ferrari with that third sector and Charles has done well there in junior categories. Part of the prediction is wishful thinking. If Ferrari cannot get their act together within the next couple of races I don't think we'll see them put up a genuine title challenge this year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:55 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
I'm predicting Leclerc to win in Baku. I think the track should really suit Ferrari with that third sector and Charles has done well there in junior categories. Part of the prediction is wishful thinking. If Ferrari cannot get their act together within the next couple of races I don't think we'll see them put up a genuine title challenge this year.

I'm considering some money on Leclerc for Baku myself. He's looked mega there the last 2 years and wouldn't surprise me if Ferrari bounced back again next time out. I'll be rooting for him anyway after the Bahrain misfortune.

This is going to be a very up and down season between Mercedes and Ferrari I think.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:27 pm 

Altair wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

That's not bold.

I'd say it's fairly bold seeing as Reb Bull have only had one winless season since 2009 (2015) and they have Verstappen in the team. They'll nab wins.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:16 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Altair wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

That's not bold.

I'd say it's fairly bold seeing as Reb Bull have only had one winless season since 2009 (2015) and they have Verstappen in the team. They'll nab wins.

Yeah, I can see Red Bull nabbing a win somewhere. Red Bull performance-wise in 2019 are like Benetton in 1992 and 1993, and they managed a win in each of those seasons with only 16 races to do so in each of those years compared to 21 now. Max is their Schumacher and Gasly is their Patrese/Brundle, so Gasly should be able to grab a podium or two if he gets the whole season.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:27 pm 

Altair wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

That's not bold.

Red Bull tends to get 3 or 4 wins every season. Mostly due to specific tracks suiting. I think it's bold because I don't expect RBR to be the best car at any circuit. Whenever I see the car, I get the feeling it's chassis is subpar (compared to Merc/Ferrari).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:55 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:
Altair wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

That's not bold.

Red Bull tends to get 3 or 4 wins every season. Mostly due to specific tracks suiting. I think it's bold because I don't expect RBR to be the best car at any circuit. Whenever I see the car, I get the feeling it's chassis is subpar (compared to Merc/Ferrari).

Interesting, since a lot of folks have thought that Red Bull had the best or near best chassis for several seasons and that they were hampered by a low power and unreliable P/U.

Did they screw up the best chassis with the new rules changes or did Merc and Ferrari just get better???

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:13 am 

Mort Canard wrote:
Interesting, since a lot of folks have thought that Red Bull had the best or near best chassis for several seasons and that they were hampered by a low power and unreliable P/U.

Did they screw up the best chassis with the new rules changes or did Merc and Ferrari just get better???

If you want to apply the same logic we McLaren fans have been getting thrown at us, they never had the best chassis and were just lying about it to make themselves look better at the expense of their PU supplier.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:44 am 

Mort Canard wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
Altair wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

That's not bold.

If you compare China this year with last, only Mercedes of the top teams improved their time. Ferrari took the biggest step backwards, dropping half a second. But this may be explained by the rumour that they are having to turn things down due to reliability concerns - certainly in Bahrain they posted similar times to last year. The Ferrari looks less planted than the Merc, though.

Verstappen's Red Bull dropped 3 tenths on last year, which could be down to the PU. But when we look at Toro Rosso, they gained nearly half a second, and they haven't changed PU, while the Renault team also have dropped half a second on last year. This would suggest that Red Bull (and Renault) are more likely losing on the chassis side, rather than the PU. It's too small a sample to be scientific but at first glance it doesn't look like Red Bull have made any steps forward with this year's package, and in fact look to have lost some ground. Mercerdes are the only ones who look to have made definite improvements

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:13 am 

ReservoirDog wrote:
Altair wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

That's not bold.

Red Bull are the development kings though, they started 2016 and 2017 nowhere but by the end were racing for wins.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:40 am 

Johnson wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
Altair wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

That's not bold.

Red Bull are the development kings though, they started 2016 and 2017 nowhere but by the end were racing for wins.

But is that really an illusion caused by the fact that they keep developing their car to the end every year, causing a repeating cycle where they're good at the end but start the next year on the back foot?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:53 am 

j man wrote:
Zoue wrote:
j man wrote:
Johnson wrote:
It seems Ferrari have reliability issues, new CE in both cars this weekend of an older spec. The mystery of no pace in Australia before switching the engines up a Leclercs car failing. Now possibly turned back down?

This is th first time in 2019 I feel Mercedes look the best package for the titles though.

:thumbup:

I'm getting the impression that Ferrari have the fastest car but they're unable to use it to its full potential, making the Mercedes the best car overall. It's a bit reminiscent of 2005.

I agree with you that if Ferrari have indeed turned their PU down then they do have the fastest car but cannot use it to its fullest potential. But since they are still claimed to be fastest by some margin on the straights, even while "holding back," this would suggest that the best car is in fact the Mercedes, while Ferrari look to have the best PU. But for Mercedes to be so much quicker in the twisty bits is quite impressive - what could they do with a Ferrari PU in the back? :twisted:

I was also wondering after Bahrain if Ferrari's reported power advantage is primarily in their "qualifying" mode and that in race pace it's pretty close between them. Certainly Hamilton's race pace that day was not too shabby.

Yeah In qualifying they are able to use more power than Mercedes but in the race itself the power is quite even.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 32nd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:00 am 

Exediron wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:

If you want to apply the same logic we McLaren fans have been getting thrown at us, they never had the best chassis and were just lying about it to make themselves look better at the expense of their PU supplier.

Well unlike McLaren they were able to win many races with scores of podiums thrown in. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:05 am 

So quite straight forward again Mercedes > Ferrari > Red Bull, let's use the WDC scoring system so we have thus far:-

1. Mercedes 68
2. Ferrari 58
3. Red Bull 48

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:02 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Mort Canard wrote:

If you compare China this year with last, only Mercedes of the top teams improved their time. Ferrari took the biggest step backwards, dropping half a second. But this may be explained by the rumour that they are having to turn things down due to reliability concerns - certainly in Bahrain they posted similar times to last year. The Ferrari looks less planted than the Merc, though.

Verstappen's Red Bull dropped 3 tenths on last year, which could be down to the PU. But when we look at Toro Rosso, they gained nearly half a second, and they haven't changed PU, while the Renault team also have dropped half a second on last year. This would suggest that Red Bull (and Renault) are more likely losing on the chassis side, rather than the PU. It's too small a sample to be scientific but at first glance it doesn't look like Red Bull have made any steps forward with this year's package, and in fact look to have lost some ground. Mercerdes are the only ones who look to have made definite improvements

Very interesting! Thanks for that! :thumbup: