planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:15 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:16 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Covalent wrote:
I don't really see the point (pun intended) in not giving the drivers outside of the top 10 a chance for the fastest lap point.

There would also be the case that you would see teams that virtually never get points doing some of the most odd strategies to get fastest lap at the end. This would then have strange results with the team at the bottom at the championship possibly getting all their points this way. I think it makes perfect sense to only allow the top 10 to get this.

But they would be bottom of the championship, (even after supposedly getting all these fastest lap points), so what difference would it make, what would it have gained them?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:06 am 

F1 Racer wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Covalent wrote:
I don't really see the point (pun intended) in not giving the drivers outside of the top 10 a chance for the fastest lap point.

There would also be the case that you would see teams that virtually never get points doing some of the most odd strategies to get fastest lap at the end. This would then have strange results with the team at the bottom at the championship possibly getting all their points this way. I think it makes perfect sense to only allow the top 10 to get this.

But they would be bottom of the championship, (even after supposedly getting all these fastest lap points), so what difference would it make, what would it have gained them?

I say fair play to them if a backmarker would manage to get some points by driving the fastest lap. I doubt however that Williams would be able to do that even if they got fresh softs on the last lap of the race.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:29 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Not precisely sure how unpopular this one will be, but...

Vettel should have had a race ban by now, and the only reason he hasn't is that the FIA is reluctant to give him penalty points for fear of just that outcome.

I agree. As I wrote on the race thread, Grosjean was handed a ban for less than what Vettel has done over the past 18 months. Also it's clear he shows no remorse and takes no responsibility for his actions, so some level of punishment is needed for him to perhaps actually reflect on what he is doing wrong.

How bad does it look for the sport if a 4 time champion with the 3rd highest win count gets a ban for persistent incompetent/dangerous driving? It must be on the FIA's minds.

He's also on about his third final warning regarding his general conduct anyway.

They ain't gonna ban the guy from a race let's face it, it simply won't happen. They've had plenty of cause to and haven't so he won't be getting any more penalty points if avoidable, if they didn't ban him after Baku 2017 they won't ban him for a accident

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:30 am 

FormulaFun wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Vettel should have had a race ban by now, and the only reason he hasn't is that the FIA is reluctant to give him penalty points for fear of just that outcome.

I agree. As I wrote on the race thread, Grosjean was handed a ban for less than what Vettel has done over the past 18 months. Also it's clear he shows no remorse and takes no responsibility for his actions, so some level of punishment is needed for him to perhaps actually reflect on what he is doing wrong.

How bad does it look for the sport if a 4 time champion with the 3rd highest win count gets a ban for persistent incompetent/dangerous driving? It must be on the FIA's minds.

He's also on about his third final warning regarding his general conduct anyway.

They ain't gonna ban the guy from a race let's face it, it simply won't happen. They've had plenty of cause to and haven't so he won't be getting any more penalty points if avoidable, if they didn't ban him after Baku 2017 they won't ban him for a accident

Why talk in such absolutes? Of course the will ban him if they have no other choice, which I think you also meant by the "if avoidable" part!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:37 am 

Covalent wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Why talk in such absolutes? Of course the will ban him if they have no other choice, which I think you also meant by the "if avoidable" part!

I'm not taking in absolutes, I said if avoidable. As in at this point it's obvious they won't give him penalty points to get him a race ban for regular crashes only if he does something absolutely mental (I mean what is more warranted for a race ban than delibaretly crashing your car into someone, for.which he didn't get banned or black flagged) so it's obvious to.me they're actively going to avoid giving him points now, which is wrong, and I say that because I don't see what other legitmate reason they could possibly have for not giving him a penalty for Brazil.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:45 am 

FormulaFun wrote:
Covalent wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:

I'm not taking in absolutes, I said if avoidable. As in at this point it's obvious they won't give him penalty points to get him a race ban for regular crashes only if he does something absolutely mental (I mean what is more warranted for a race ban than delibaretly crashing your car into someone, for.which he didn't get banned or black flagged) so it's obvious to.me they're actively going to avoid giving him points now, which is wrong, and I say that because I don't see what other legitmate reason they could possibly have for not giving him a penalty for Brazil.

You also said "it simply won't happen".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:54 am 

Covalent wrote:
You also said "it simply won't happen".

I also said if avoidable. If they have any way to avoid it they will. He will need to completely take someone out intentionally to get a ban, which I think simply won't happen (I'm sure you agree with that, unless you think vettel would do it)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:41 pm 

FormulaFun wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
j man wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:29 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
FormulaFun wrote:

Indeed.

Sadly, probably true. Baku was worth a race ban all on its own.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:53 am 

I agree that Vettel should have had a race ban by now, but he won't get one.