planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:52 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:25 pm 

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the sound coming out of the McLaren cars exhaust is different from the other cars on the grid this year . To me it sounds more like the old V8 engines prior to the hybrid era ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:29 pm 

I noticed it in Bahrain but was told its just microphone placement. Definitely sounded weird so you're not going mad or anything but I think its just Liberty messing with the noise tbh.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:31 pm 

I'm 90% sure it's another microphone experiment. It sounds like the same engine run through an audio filter to increase its pitch.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:05 pm 

How incredibly tacky. Next we'll be seeing CGI flames shooting out of the exhaust.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:22 am 

So when the gimmicks F1A introduce to supposedly attract fans have negative consequences they go into damage control mode with even more gimmicks . Just let the teams race with whatever engine they prefer turbo , Hybrid , naturally aspirated and let the best design / strategy prevail

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:46 am 

Back in 2017 is was planned. https://jalopnik.com/f1-wants-to-amplify-engine-sound-on-tv-by-adding-micr-1818803928

The powers in Formula One wanted to place microphones on the exhausts of cars. To go one step further and "spice" up the sounds is a logical progression.

But why should anyone get their knickers in a knot? These are bespoke cars driving on carefully designed tracks surrounded by grandstands littered with advertising, being driven by drivers festooned by advertising on their driving suits. There is absolutely nothing "natural" about Formula One, the only connection is has with daily driver cars is that the wheels are round and the engines burn hydrocarbons.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:00 am 

Exediron wrote:
I'm 90% sure it's another microphone experiment. It sounds like the same engine run through an audio filter to increase its pitch.

It’s not. Every team designs and builds their own exhaust and therefore every team’s cars sound different from others running the same engine. McLaren’s cars have sounded better than everyone else since they started running the Honda, and the current McLaren sounds distinctly different than every other Renault powered car, yet not too different than when they ran the Honda. That’s indicative of a consistency on that front for McLaren.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:26 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Exediron wrote:

It’s not. Every team designs and builds their own exhaust and therefore every team’s cars sound different from others running the same engine. McLaren’s cars have sounded better than everyone else since they started running the Honda, and the current McLaren sounds distinctly different than every other Renault powered car, yet not too different than when they ran the Honda. That’s indicative of a consistency on that front for McLaren.

It is not at all the same. Watch this side-by-side video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2lXhqVt6TA

One of them is far, far higher pitched, and frankly sounds nothing like a modern F1 engine does track side. I am certain it's just a microphone setup, whether part of the physical microphone placement or (as I suspect) digitally added.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:34 pm 

Exediron wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Exediron wrote:

It is not at all the same. Watch this side-by-side video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2lXhqVt6TA

One of them is far, far higher pitched, and frankly sounds nothing like a modern F1 engine does track side. I am certain it's just a microphone setup, whether part of the physical microphone placement or (as I suspect) digitally added.

Was that actually broadcast? I can understand why they might want to enhance the sound a bit, but that is so far from reality it is just laughable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:45 pm 

j man wrote:
Was that actually broadcast? I can understand why they might want to enhance the sound a bit, but that is so far from reality it is just laughable.

Yep, I remember noticing it during practice, and the Sky team was talking about how different it sounded. I'm not sure if it was in the race broadcast, but certainly it was in practice and maybe quali.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:26 am 

j man wrote:
How incredibly tacky. Next we'll be seeing CGI flames shooting out of the exhaust.

Maybe they could attach blocks of metal to the bottoms of the cars to create a shower of sparks. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:23 am 

:] :thumbup:
kowen1208 wrote:
j man wrote:

Maybe they could attach blocks of metal to the bottoms of the cars to create a shower of sparks. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:26 am 

kowen1208 wrote:
j man wrote:

This sort of nuance is lost in translation but I'm guessing you're aware that's exactly what they're doing!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)