planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:05 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:01 pm 

I have thought about this a lot.

Mercedes went on a hiring binge 2011-2014, and even after that it hired a few big names, James Allison being one.

McLaren has hired a few names, Ferrari has, even Renault has.

But when I think of RBR, I can't think of many big names being hired by them in the last 4-5 years. They have no way of gaining new F1 knowledge from other teams, and seems they are too reliant on just Adrian Newey. Their knowledge must be really stale.

This really concerns me about the team. Wonder if other share my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:30 pm 

do you really have to hire a "big name" to be productive? Seems like Williams has hired big names and failed, Renault has hired big names and look where they are (and this year hasn't been anything to brag about either). Frankly, outside of AMG and Ferrari, they are the class of the field, I guess one could make an argument with McLarens progress, but I wouldn't use Renault as an example.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:18 am 

I don’t remember Ferrari hiring any big name apart from Jock Clear.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:40 pm 

Sometimes stability is more productive than bringing in outside perspective. If a team is in a state of chaos, then sure, shake things up. But when you've consistently been at the top year after year, why risk it? The new face may have a personality that clashes, or design philosophies that aren't compatible with the current car.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:07 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
I don’t remember Ferrari hiring any big name apart from Jock Clear.

Jock Clear isn't a big name. It's only 9 letters. (grabs coat)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:20 am 

Red Bull are still reasonably competitive, and their lack of full-on competitiveness over the last few years can easily be put down to not having a works engine deal, and the current Honda power unit not quite being there yet either.

There is a reason Mercedes and Ferrari refused to supply Red Bull a couple of years ago; they still rate them as a very strong competitor that are doing a lot of things right.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:56 pm 

Err - Adrian Newey?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:17 pm 

F1Oz wrote:
Err - Adrian Newey?

That was 12 years ago, which I think is the point the OP is making.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:58 pm 

JN23 wrote:
F1Oz wrote:
Err - Adrian Newey?

Did Williams hire a top talent in Adrian Newey when they hired him? Or were they just hiring a relative unknown that was fired from Leyton House, who just happened to blossom and work out spectacularly?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:42 pm 

F1 Racer wrote:
JN23 wrote:
F1Oz wrote:
Err - Adrian Newey?

Did Williams hire a top talent in Adrian Newey when they hired him? Or were they just hiring a relative unknown that was fired from Leyton House, who just happened to blossom and work out spectacularly?

Since the question of this thread is specifically about big names as opposed to big talents, Williams did not do so when they hired Newey. He only became a big name later.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:15 pm 

Exediron wrote:
F1 Racer wrote:
JN23 wrote:
F1Oz wrote:
Err - Adrian Newey?

Since the question of this thread is specifically about big names as opposed to big talents, Williams did not do so when they hired Newey. He only became a big name later.

Yes, but my point is that Williams hired a small name and this allowed them to embark on the most succesful period of their history, (and early 00's aside, they haven't been competitive since). Therefore hiring big names isn't necessarily needed and so the idea behind Red Bull not having done so recently is a bit of a moot point considering they are still fairly competitive now, which is what matters most.