planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:40 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:54 pm 

Not sure if this rumor is accurate as of yet, but I thought I'd open a thread on it in the hopes different people can offer information from all over.
If true, I'm set to feel a deep void in my heart for some time to come. Please say it ain't so. :(

Will Buxton replied to this Twitter post: https://twitter.com/RobChinchero/status ... 1915932672

Mods, feel free to delete or lock this thread if you feel it's required.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:00 pm 

I can't see it being sold whilst Frank Williams is still alive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:27 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Yep, that would probably break Frank's heart. Still, something positive needs to happen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:20 am 

Frank hasn't been involved with the day to day for some time now and he doesn't look like the team and its viability is of much concern to him these days. If that were the case, he'd have gotten involved this season and that hasn't happened. Even Claire said she hoped her dad approved of the livery or else they'd have to change it, but in all actuality, that was a nonsense comment because he got to see it only after it was completed. You'd think he'd have been involved with the decision before anything was finalized.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:36 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:

A 49% share?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:47 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Frank hasn't been involved with the day to day for some time now and he doesn't look like the team and its viability is of much concern to him these days. If that were the case, he'd have gotten involved this season and that hasn't happened. Even Claire said she hoped her dad approved of the livery or else they'd have to change it, but in all actuality, that was a nonsense comment because he got to see it only after it was completed. You'd think he'd have been involved with the decision before anything was finalized.

I don't think we know how involved he is to be honest.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:04 am 

Oddly enough I had a dream last night that Williams had been taken over and the name would be changed from the 2020 season.

Don't ask why my dreams are so dull.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:11 am 

Junglist wrote:
Oddly enough I had a dream last night that Williams had been taken over and the name would be changed from the 2020 season.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:32 am 

Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:

I swear my life is a bit exciting! I promise! :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:06 pm 

Junglist wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:

I swear my life is a bit exciting! I promise! :D

Just call it a prophecy, and preiodically edit the date if necessary :P

It would be a shame to see the Williams name leave the grid, but having said that it would also be a shame for the team to die altogether, even if it's a mere shadow of its former self.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:12 pm 

if they would sell a 49% share or some significant portion wouldn't it make sense to sell to a MFG? There are still a few sniffing around F1. Porsche(VW), Then you have Ford and GM with the ownership of F1 by Liberty we are hearing some interest by both into F1 especially if we have 2-3 GP's in US. Latin America is huge market for both.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:08 pm 

AstoriaisBACK wrote:
if they would sell a 49% share or some significant portion wouldn't it make sense to sell to a MFG? There are still a few sniffing around F1. Porsche(VW), Then you have Ford and GM with the ownership of F1 by Liberty we are hearing some interest by both into F1 especially if we have 2-3 GP's in US. Latin America is huge market for both.

yeah I can't see any manufacturer being interested with the regulations as they are. They've pretty much said as much. No engine manufacturer is going to put themselves through the Hell Honda went through

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:29 am 

WilliamsF1's fall from grace has got to be the most tragic story in F1 history. And that includes all the driver deaths and scandals. This ought to be considered one of if not the most successful of the privateer teams and 3rd most successful team overall. Clearly the current regs favour the works engine teams too much. Although I feel Williams real achilles was the end of tobacco sponsorship. Their success in the mid 1990s was down to the Renault - Newey partnership but the money came from Rotherhams. When Rotherhams left they were midfield until BMW brought back some of the glory days. Had Williams sold out to BMW things might have been better or the team might have folded like Toyota once BMW left. But we will never know. I hope for a miracle but what Williams really need are regs and an engine partner that gives them a fair chance to perform.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:44 am 

Zoue wrote:
AstoriaisBACK wrote:

yeah I can't see any manufacturer being interested with the regulations as they are. They've pretty much said as much. No engine manufacturer is going to put themselves through the Hell Honda went through

That will change. Technology changes do fast. Even now they are struggling but there will come a time when the technology seems old and that will come faster than you think.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:29 am 

Zoue wrote:
AstoriaisBACK wrote:

Actually, Williams could be the one team where that isn't the case. If Williams say "We'd be at the front of the grid if it wasn't for this POS Audi engine" everyone would say "Yeah right."

Also, Red Bull's decision to ditch Renault for Honda, and the positive noises they made could actually end up being Honda's redemption for all the negative PR and any new manufacturer that enters the game can point to Honda's development cycle and say "you have to be patient, but good things will come"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:08 am 

A spokesperson from Williams has denied this:

https://www.racefans.net/2019/04/18/mazepin-not-in-talks-to-buy-williams-says-company/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:41 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Well, never believe a rumor until it's officially denied.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:41 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
AstoriaisBACK wrote:

Actually, Williams could be the one team where that isn't the case. If Williams say "We'd be at the front of the grid if it wasn't for this POS Audi engine" everyone would say "Yeah right."

Also, Red Bull's decision to ditch Renault for Honda, and the positive noises they made could actually end up being Honda's redemption for all the negative PR and any new manufacturer that enters the game can point to Honda's development cycle and say "you have to be patient, but good things will come"

I don't see it. Honda are in their 5th year in F1 and they are still not up with the big boys. The only thing saving them from even deeper embarrassment is the fact that Renault are arguably even worse (from the perspective that they were in it right from the start and are still noticeably behind). And the amount of ridicule they had to endure along the way by virtue of the fact they were pretty hopeless for the majority of the time, despite their pedigree, would serve as a huge red flag for many manufacturers IMO. Honda will be lucky to get on a par with the top teams by the end of these regs and then who knows what will happen? What other manufacturer would seriously consider an investment that might pay off just before the introduction of new engine regs anyway?

Don't claim to have a crystal ball on this but I think it would be a very brave or otherwise foolish board who would approve such an enormous risk to their reputation for the very dubious honour of just being considered adequate by the end of it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:59 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
AstoriaisBACK wrote:

I don't know how much money has already been swallowed by Honda's patience, and it's not yet finished, but I'm not sure your argument for entering F1 would impress any board. Especially considering the absolute uselessness of the F1 PU technology in car manufacturing, now and for the very near future.
As for the positive noises that Red Bull's decision to ditch Renault for Honda made, I'd personally wait till the summer, if not end of the season, for confirmation. The only noise we heard came from Marko's mouth, and all we can say is that he stopped making noise recently.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:10 am 

AstoriaisBACK wrote:

I’m not a Stockmarket expert, but can they do that if they’re publicly traded? I’m assuming they don’t have 49% of shares to give away, because of everyone who bought shares when they made them available.
Plus I think Patrick Head has a decent % of shares as well. I don’t think it’s that easy for Williams