planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2020!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:29 am 

A good article on Bottas Vs. Ocon debate.
https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/24015

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:00 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
I disagree The F3 car and weekend format were much more suitable to distinguish talent than GP3 or especially F2. The Stroll antics were the exception, not the rule. And, like with every season, you need to look beyond results. Verstappen did not win F3, but his exceptional talent was obvious to everyone at the track. Same with Ocon, Leclerc and Norris. Russell is a good driver, no doubt, like Vandoorne or Gasly. IMO, of course. But not exceptional

Russell's opposition in GP3 was weak.

Time will tell.

Well Russell raced at a time in Euro F3 when the arms race was at it's worse also that was only the 4th level of racing, it's more important to show what you're worth further up the ladder and in F2 he beat Norris convincingly, he also beat Albon who had more experience than Russell in F2 and like Norris is doing quite well in F1.

Schumacher is the current Euro F3 Champion but did that label him as an outstanding talent, still an unproven talent I would say and people will also take into account that he was driving for the best team in F3 much like Ocon did when he won his F3 title, Verstappen fans will kindly attest to that.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 23rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:18 pm 

It seems like the deadline on making a decision about Bottas is 24th August and that I think will start kicking off a series of driver announcements?

I'm ignoring rumours of Vettel going to Red Bull which similar would trigger a series of driver changes, so what we have presently I believe I have listed below, confirmed drivers in bold, what I think will happen and then what I'm not sure will happen I give a list of likely options.

Mercedes
Hamilton
Bottas/Ocon

Ferrari
Vettel
Leclerc

Red Bull
Verstappen
Kvyat

STR
Albon
Vips*/Gasly

McLaren
Sainz
Norris

Renault
Ricciardo
Ocon/Hulkenberg/Bottas

Haas
Magnussen
Hulkenberg/Bottas/Ocon

Racing Point
Stroll
Perez

Alfa Romeo
Raikkonen
Giovinazzi

Williams
Russell
Latifi

*If Vips gets his super license.

So I see Kubica, Grosjean and possibly Gasly out of F1 to be replaced by Ocon, Latifi and Vips.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:56 pm 

Just a question that i asked others on another site, it seems the majority imply that Magnussen is doing better than grosjean this year and a lot seem to expect Grosjean rather than him will be out next year. I really can't understand those who think Magnussen has been better this year. Weather this is true or not, But I think Grosjean has some of his own sponsors and according to one site, he was getting pait a fair bit more than Magnussen. overall I think he is both better and more experienced with the team and with the fact that he possibly brings more money to the team, if either of them get replaced, I think it is far more likely to be Magnussen.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:44 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Just a question that i asked others on another site, it seems the majority imply that Magnussen is doing better than grosjean this year and a lot seem to expect Grosjean rather than him will be out next year. I really can't understand those who think Magnussen has been better this year. Weather this is true or not, But I think Grosjean has some of his own sponsors and according to one site, he was getting pait a fair bit more than Magnussen. overall I think he is both better and more experienced with the team and with the fact that he possibly brings more money to the team, if either of them get replaced, I think it is far more likely to be Magnussen.

I would be happy to see both of them being replaced, they certainly can't continue with this line up, if I had a choice it would be KMag, I blame him for 90% of the incidents with Grosjean and I'm not impressed with this fighting Viking image that he has, I find his driving to be crass, Grosjean is just clumsy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:54 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
I disagree The F3 car and weekend format were much more suitable to distinguish talent than GP3 or especially F2. The Stroll antics were the exception, not the rule. And, like with every season, you need to look beyond results. Verstappen did not win F3, but his exceptional talent was obvious to everyone at the track. Same with Ocon, Leclerc and Norris. Russell is a good driver, no doubt, like Vandoorne or Gasly. IMO, of course. But not exceptional

Russell's opposition in GP3 was weak.

Time will tell.

Well Russell raced at a time in Euro F3 when the arms race was at it's worse also that was only the 4th level of racing, it's more important to show what you're worth further up the ladder and in F2 he beat Norris convincingly, he also beat Albon who had more experience than Russell in F2 and like Norris is doing quite well in F1.

Schumacher is the current Euro F3 Champion but did that label him as an outstanding talent, still an unproven talent I would say and people will also take into account that he was driving for the best team in F3 much like Ocon did when he won his F3 title, Verstappen fans will kindly attest to that.

I guess the difference is that you judge based upon results and "official" series hierarchy, wheras I evaluate how the different feeder categories demand different talents (F2 experience and tyre strategies, plus distortive effects from reversed-grid nonsense) and judge based upon the performances I witnessed.
So, we will have to agree to disagree. Time will tell whether Russell is more like the next Verstappen or more like the next Vandoorne/Gasly (as I think).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:37 am 

Would the shock promotion of Albon to Red Bull kind of trigger the silly season for 2020? Red Bull surely has made today's decision keeping 2020 in mind as well. Red Bull again went for youth when compared to experience (Kvyat).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:52 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Would the shock promotion of Albon to Red Bull kind of trigger the silly season for 2020? Red Bull surely has made today's decision keeping 2020 in mind as well. Red Bull again went for youth when compared to experience (Kvyat).

If that's the case then how many races are they going to give Albon to try to show he can cut it in the top team before they decide what to do? They can't afford to give him too many if they're thinking of looking outside their stable.

Should Albon fail to impress forcing RB do go outside the program to find a sidekick for Verstappen, then who of the 3 support acts has his head on the chopping block?

I feel for Gasly, Albon & Kvyat here.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 336 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:01 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

No because there's still the same drivers going round the same old chairs...

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:03 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

If that's the case then how many races are they going to give Albon to try to show he can cut it in the top team before they decide what to do? They can't afford to give him too many if they're thinking of looking outside their stable.

Should Albon fail to impress forcing RB do go outside the program to find a sidekick for Verstappen,
then who of the 3 support acts has his head on the chopping block?

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm thinking the move is. Give Albon half a season. If he looks good enough, keep him for 2020. If he doesn't, well, three options:

1) Give Kvyat the seat in 2020. You know what he can do, he's looked at least as quick as Albon this year, and if he outperforms Gasly for the rest of 2020 then he's got a good chance.
2) Give Pierre a second chance. If Albon is actually further away while Gasly rocks up at Toro Rosso and outperforms Kvyat, maybe a second chance isn't the worst idea
3) If Albon is no quicker than Gasly was, and Gasly/Kvyat are pretty evenly matched, then they have to look outside of Red Bull.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:11 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Should Albon fail to impress forcing RB do go outside the program to find a sidekick for Verstappen,

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm thinking the move is. Give Albon half a season. If he looks good enough, keep him for 2020. If he doesn't, well, three options:

1) Give Kvyat the seat in 2020. You know what he can do, he's looked at least as quick as Albon this year, and if he outperforms Gasly for the rest of 2020 then he's got a good chance.
2) Give Pierre a second chance. If Albon is actually further away while Gasly rocks up at Toro Rosso and outperforms Kvyat, maybe a second chance isn't the worst idea
3) If Albon is no quicker than Gasly was, and Gasly/Kvyat are pretty evenly matched, then they have to look outside of Red Bull.

Well it's going to be pretty slim pickings if point 3 is an option.

Most of everyone else will be signed up well before seasons end.

I suppose Grosjean might be available. Wehrlein? Vandoorne? Vergne? Buemi?

Maybe Massa or Barrichello could make a triumphant return.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 336 trophies available, 24 won

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:17 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I would imagine they would speak to the management teams of the drivers they might be looking at (whichever of Bottas/Ocon is available, Hulkenberg I would assume, and maybe even a certain Spaniard?) and sounding them out for their interest in 2020. If they haven't already done so.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:20 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I would imagine they would speak to the management teams of the drivers they might be looking at (whichever of Bottas/Ocon is available, Hulkenberg I would assume, and maybe even a certain Spaniard?) and sounding them out for their interest in 2020. If they haven't already done so.

Drivers will hold off signing for other teams if a Red Bull gig might be available.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:23 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Drivers will hold off signing for other teams if a Red Bull gig might be available.

Exactly. I would imagine if Red Bull are looking elsewhere then they're going to be strongly, strongly hoping Mercedes announce Ocon for 2020. Bottas would be an ideal partner for Max.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:27 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Exactly. I would imagine if Red Bull are looking elsewhere then they're going to be strongly, strongly hoping Mercedes announce Ocon for 2020. Bottas would be an ideal partner for Max.

Well whatever one Mercedes doesn't take Red Bull could look at.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:32 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Ok so what we reckon Albon will have until Russia, maybe Japan to prove himself before RB make the decision to either stick with him or shop around?

I wouldn't expect Bottas, Ocon, Hulkenberg or anyone else in F1 to stay unsigned until seasons end in the hope of getting the #2 driver gig at RB & I'd imagine the teams would like to have their 2020 lineup settled well & truly by years end.

I suppose what i'm trying to say is it looks like Albons got more than a mountain to climb to hang on to the RB drive next year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:44 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Ok so what we reckon Albon will have until Russia, maybe Japan to prove himself before RB make the decision to either stick with him or shop around?

I wouldn't expect Bottas, Ocon, Hulkenberg or anyone else in F1 to stay unsigned until seasons end in the hope of getting the #2 driver gig at RB & I'd imagine the teams would like to have their 2020 lineup settled well & truly by years end.

I suppose what i'm trying to say is it looks like Albons got more than a mountain to climb to hang on to the RB drive next year.

They can do it if they all do it. They've got a bit of luxury here because we don't have a host of hot young drivers on the outside looking in. Say Grosjean is gone from Haas then all 3 of those drivers are going to get a seat. Definitely. So they can afford to make other teams wait.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:45 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:

How does Albon handle a slightly tricky and on edge rear?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:50 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

That would be one hell of a risk possible leaving yourself without a seat for 2020?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:51 pm 

Invade wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Probably the same as we all do Invade.

Stay at home & don't wander too far from the throne but i'm not sure what that has to do with the situation at hand.

(Sorry, couldn't resist the urge to be childish).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:11 pm 

pokerman wrote:
That would be one hell of a risk possible leaving yourself without a seat for 2020?

Who was the last non-Red Bull-backed driver to race for them? Was it Webber?

If I were Horner, I'd go for a proven quantity and sign Alonso for 2020 on a one year deal, irrespective of his history with Honda. If the car can keep improving and challenge the Mercs, then you'd want both drivers up there. I just don't see any of the current (soon to be) available drivers capable of it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:14 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

If I were Horner, I'd go for a proven quantity and sign Alonso for 2020 on a one year deal, irrespective of his history with Honda. If the car can keep improving and challenge the Mercs, then you'd want both drivers up there. I just don't see any of the current (soon to be) available drivers capable of it.

That's what most would like to see apart I would say Honda and in that respect I don't believe Red Bull would have the final say?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:18 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
Invade wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Stay at home & don't wander too far from the throne but i'm not sure what that has to do with the situation at hand.

Not sure I understand.

My point is that there has been rear instability in the Red Bull and Max handles this extremely well and it's possible that the gap to Gasly might be further exaggerated because he finds it particularly tricky. So I was wondering how Albon deals with that sort of slightly on edge feel and if it's something he's natural with and if he prefers a slightly oversteery car, because then perhaps he might just be able to climb that mountain and prove himself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:13 pm 

Invade wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Invade wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Not sure I understand.

My point is that there has been rear instability in the Red Bull and Max handles this extremely well and it's possible that the gap to Gasly might be further exaggerated because he finds it particularly tricky. So I was wondering how Albon deals with that sort of slightly on edge feel and if it's something he's natural with and if he prefers a slightly oversteery car, because then perhaps he might just be able to climb that mountain and prove himself.

Woooosh!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:41 pm 

pokerman wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

That's what most would like to see apart I would say Honda and in that respect I don't believe Red Bull would have the final say?

It's a tricky one. Alonso's history with Honda is controversial but surely they'd prefer to see two cars fighting Mercedes than one fighting and the other a lap down. Besides, if McLaren can take him back, surely Honda can?

We'll see how Albon gets on but I just don't see it, or anyone on the grid capable of matching Max.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:56 pm 

I wonder if Red Bull is Bottas' plan B?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:17 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

I can't see it. Especially given how quickly RBR replace under-performing drivers 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:34 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Invade wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Invade wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Not sure I understand.

Woooosh!

Yes that's how it normally goes when you have a tricky rear end. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:38 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

It's a tricky one. Alonso's history with Honda is controversial but surely they'd prefer to see two cars fighting Mercedes than one fighting and the other a lap down. Besides, if McLaren can take him back, surely Honda can?

We'll see how Albon gets on but I just don't see it, or anyone on the grid capable of matching Max.

I believe it was Honda that wanted Alonso at McLaren hence they also paid his wages I believe?

Similarly I believe that Mercedes paid a large portion of the spygate bill which eventually lead to them parting ways with McLaren, Mercedes are believed to have a long memory.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:40 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I can't see it. Especially given how quickly RBR replace under-performing drivers 8)

If you consider 2nd in the WDC to be under performing?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:43 pm 

pokerman wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

For how long? 7 points ahead of Verstappen with 9 races to go isn't a good proposition!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

For how long? 7 points ahead of Verstappen with 9 races to go isn't a good proposition!

It's still a better CV then any of the Red Bull junior drivers and certainly better than Gasly, you think Red Bull are going to get a driver as good as Verstappen?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:49 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Invade wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Invade wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Not sure I understand.

Woooosh!

Ah - by throne what was meant is the crapper. x(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:03 pm 

Invade wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Invade wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Invade wrote:

Not sure I understand.

Woooosh!

Ah - by throne what was meant is the crapper. x(

Bingo :thumbup: ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:39 pm 

There are rumours that Grosjean might announce his retirement at Spa because of this twitter.

https://twitter.com/RGrosjean/status/11 ... 1046837250

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:52 pm 

pokerman wrote:
There are rumours that Grosjean might announce his retirement at Spa because of this twitter.

Immediate effect I wonder? Possibly or he will have to borrow his gloves back from whoever wins them. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:49 pm 

pokerman wrote:

Are the rumours from people actually in the know, or just purely speculation by people on social media?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:55 am 

If it's on the internet it must be true, right.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:59 am 

pokerman wrote:

Are the rumours from people actually in the know, or just purely speculation by people on social media?

99% sure it's just pure speculation.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:12 am 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

99% sure it's just pure speculation.

But his time is up in F1. He's saturated beyond repair.