It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:54 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2020!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:51 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Gasly surely could be in trouble. Before the 1st corner, Gasly was ahead of Verstappen. Before the race was over, he was lapped by Verstappen.

Marko keeps insisting that Gasly will get the season. I'm not at all convinced that will be the case.

If Albon was more convincingly beating Kvyat he would already be in the seat IMO. I'm fairly sure Kvyat or Albon would be some way off Verstappen still but Red Bull have to be considering it for after the summer break at least.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:52 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Gasly surely could be in trouble. Before the 1st corner, Gasly was ahead of Verstappen. Before the race was over, he was lapped by Verstappen.

Marko keeps insisting that Gasly will get the season. I'm not at all convinced that will be the case.

I don't think a mid-season call-up is in anyone's best interest. The driver called up will probably not perform any better than Gasly as he will have to adapt to a new car mid-season ( a massive challenge). You also have to give Gasly a chance to either confirm that he simply doesn't have it or to show that it was just a bigger adjustment than anticipated. It's possible that Gasly will improve with time and I think tossing him aside without even giving him 1 season would be foolish.

I also think you need to give Albon a full season to see whether or not he would be the better call-up than Kvyatt. He has been very close to his much more experienced teammate since day 1 and I suspect he might gap him in the second half of the year.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:02 pm 

I'm going to put something out there. I think Red Bull should attempt to snap up Norris. I'm assuming bridges are burned with Carlos Sainz and there is a distinct possibility that Max will leave if Red bull fail to provide a championship-capable car by next season. Red Bull's other drivers in their stable don't seem to be that special so a departure by Max would leave them high and dry at the moment. I think Lando, at just 19, would give them both an outstanding second driver to team with Max and a potential #1 should Max choose to go elsewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:50 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
I'm going to put something out there. I think Red Bull should attempt to snap up Norris. I'm assuming bridges are burned with Carlos Sainz and there is a distinct possibility that Max will leave if Red bull fail to provide a championship-capable car by next season. Red Bull's other drivers in their stable don't seem to be that special so a departure by Max would leave them high and dry at the moment. I think Lando, at just 19, would give them both an outstanding second driver to team with Max and a potential #1 should Max choose to go elsewhere.

The other option is to snap up one of the Mercedes drivers. Assuming Hamilton is going nowhere, next year Merc effectively have three drivers (Bottas, Ocon, Russell) for two seats (one each at Merc and Williams). One of them is going to have to leave the Mercedes umbrella at the end of the season to preserve their career, and any one of them would be a good shout for the second RBR seat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:37 pm 

j man wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

The other option is to snap up one of the Mercedes drivers. Assuming Hamilton is going nowhere, next year Merc effectively have three drivers (Bottas, Ocon, Russell) for two seats (one each at Merc and Williams). One of them is going to have to leave the Mercedes umbrella at the end of the season to preserve their career, and any one of them would be a good shout for the second RBR seat.

Not a bad call but I don't know about Max and Ocon as teammates (not after Brazil last year). Bottas is a bit old by conventional RBR standards and I'd imagine that they would prefer to take their chances with Albon or Kvyat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:43 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Unless Red Bull lose Verstappen and build a quicker car they don't need Alonso. Ferrari kind of might.

Can Verstappen leave next year?

Alonso joining Ferrari would mean sacking one of their contracted drivers.

If Verstappen does leave as per his contract's exit clause, he probably would join Mercedes. It's assumed Vettel would then join Red Bull & the cherry on the icing, Alonso would fill in his place at Ferrari.

This summer break & the races that would follow, should bring on some shock moves!

Vettel is contracted to Ferrari for 2020.

That's never stopped anyone before...

Recent examples?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:47 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

If Albon was more convincingly beating Kvyat he would already be in the seat IMO. I'm fairly sure Kvyat or Albon would be some way off Verstappen still but Red Bull have to be considering it for after the summer break at least.

It would have to be Kvyat because of his experience but would he do any better than Gasly, he was quite poor himself today.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:04 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Can Verstappen leave next year?

Alonso joining Ferrari would mean sacking one of their contracted drivers.

If Verstappen does leave as per his contract's exit clause, he probably would join Mercedes. It's assumed Vettel would then join Red Bull & the cherry on the icing, Alonso would fill in his place at Ferrari.

This summer break & the races that would follow, should bring on some shock moves!

Recent examples?

It happens. Often it suits both parties.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:12 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Recent examples?

I don't think it would suit Vettel?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:14 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Recent examples?

Alonso?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:18 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Recent examples?

Depends on his options.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:37 pm 

Exediron - I am starting to find it more likely that Hamilton will finish his career at Mercedes. There are too many moving parts on the other top teams and why would he want to involve himself with that? His best bet would be to wrap up the title this year and immediately sign an extension with Merc. They are the team most likely to produce a top car and even when the budgets are capped, I wouldn't bet against them (Not in the first couple of years at least).

I think Max is the big question mark. His performance level and his youth make him someone that all of the teams have to be interested in. Based on his own comments, he wants to be properly positioned as the lead driver on a team. He expressed no desire to team up with Hamilton or Vettel back a couple of years ago when he signed his current deal. That said, he will NOT stay at Red Bull without clear indication that the team can win a championship.

I think Red Bull have until next season to show that they are not just nominally in the Big 3 but that they can actually compete for 21 races. If they can't do that, Max will look to leave but where will he end up? Everyone wants to see the Hamilton/Verstappen battle at Mercedes but do Mercedes have any incentive to rock the boat? I don't think they do. The next most popular matchup would be Max/Charles but that requires a lot of things to happen as well. Vettel would need to be out of the way and I think that only happens if Charles gets the better of him for the rest of this year and next year. Even in that scenario; isn't it likely that Ferrari will feel that Charles is their man and that they don't need to bring in Max?

Perhaps it's most likely that Max will stay at Red Bull; at least until Hamilton retires.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:30 am 

sandman1347 wrote:

Didn't they come knocking before and McLaren told them to get lost?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:49 am 

Among the top teams, it's possible that Mercedes would take a punt on Max, in which case, who would RBR replace Max with? A Vettel reunion?

I give the above a ~2% chance of happening. I expect the same driver lineups for 2020 with the possible exception of Bottas being replaced by Ocon (~20% chance).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:50 am 

mcdo wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Didn't they come knocking before and McLaren told them to get lost?

Yeah, they did. No way Macca is letting Norris go after how good he's looked so far.

... particularly not to the team with Honda engines.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:55 am 

Well RBR need to find a way to replace Gasly, and I'm not sure they'll want to opt for Kvyat. Perhaps if Albon can be at least Kvyat's equal or preferably demonstrate superiority over the season they'd opt for him, but surely there are several good drivers who would like the chance to be in a race-winning car such as the Red Bull. The most intriguing seat for next year then is probably that "second" RBR seat.

Who takes it??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:53 am 

Invade wrote:
Well RBR need to find a way to replace Gasly, and I'm not sure they'll want to opt for Kvyat. Perhaps if Albon can be at least Kvyat's equal or preferably demonstrate superiority over the season they'd opt for him, but surely there are several good drivers who would like the chance to be in a race-winning car such as the Red Bull. The most intriguing seat for next year then is probably that "second" RBR seat.

Who takes it??

Could Hulk be headed there if Renault opts for Ocon?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:52 pm 

Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Recent examples?

Alonso?

Has Vettel done anything that warrants his contract being terminated?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:56 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Exediron wrote:

Recent examples?

Depends on his options.

Like I say I don't see any that would suit him, Verstappen at Red Bull or Hamilton at Mercedes, not going to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:58 pm 

Invade wrote:
Among the top teams, it's possible that Mercedes would take a punt on Max, in which case, who would RBR replace Max with? A Vettel reunion?

I give the above a ~2% chance of happening. I expect the same driver lineups for 2020 with the possible exception of Bottas being replaced by Ocon (~20% chance).

If we are to believe some things that are said, Verstappen has just negated his exit clause by winning in Austria.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:03 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
j man wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Not a bad call but I don't know about Max and Ocon as teammates (not after Brazil last year). Bottas is a bit old by conventional RBR standards and I'd imagine that they would prefer to take their chances with Albon or Kvyat.

A fair point about Ocon, but I just don't see Albon or Kvyat being much of an improvement. Kvyat is already a known quantity at that level and he didn't match up too well against Ricciardo, as well as making mistakes under pressure. And then Albon hasn't looked any better than Kvyat this year. RBR need to admit that their driver stable is not good enough and they need to look externally; picking one of Albon, Kvyat or Gasly feels like picking the least worst option rather than the right option.

I did hear rumours of Hulkenberg being linked with the RBR seat for next year. A good move for both parties if you ask me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:21 pm 

j man wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
j man wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

A fair point about Ocon, but I just don't see Albon or Kvyat being much of an improvement. Kvyat is already a known quantity at that level and he didn't match up too well against Ricciardo, as well as making mistakes under pressure. And then Albon hasn't looked any better than Kvyat this year. RBR need to admit that their driver stable is not good enough and they need to look externally; picking one of Albon, Kvyat or Gasly feels like picking the least worst option rather than the right option.

I did hear rumours of Hulkenberg being linked with the RBR seat for next year. A good move for both parties if you ask me.

I would agree although I wouldn't be so quick to peg Albon. Give the young guy a little time before you say he doesn't have it. he has pretty much been a match for Kvyat this year and he is a rookie. But yeah, for Hulkenberg this would be the opportunity he's been waiting for for a decade. The chance to finally drive a car that can win races. For Red Bull it would be a sure pair of hands and a pretty quick #2 driver as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:22 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
j man wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
j man wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I would agree although I wouldn't be so quick to peg Albon. Give the young guy a little time before you say he doesn't have it. he has pretty much been a match for Kvyat this year and he is a rookie. But yeah, for Hulkenberg this would be the opportunity he's been waiting for for a decade. The chance to finally drive a car that can win races. For Red Bull it would be a sure pair of hands and a pretty quick #2 driver as well.

If the Hulk did go to Red Bull then I'm guessing that would put either Ocon or Bottas in the Renault?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:31 pm 

j man wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
j man wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Yes. Hulk is the less risky option. He would be a solid number 2. Kvyatt and albon are both very risky and could be great but also bad. Imo they should swap gasly and kvyatt now and see how Danil does before deciding on who gets the 2020 seat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:54 pm 

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
j man wrote:

If the Hulk did go to Red Bull then I'm guessing that would put either Ocon or Bottas in the Renault?

Makes sense to me. I'm sure Ocon would be happy either way (Mercedes or Renault).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:58 am 

As per a report / article I read, if Vettel does retire after 2019, Ferrari are interested in Bottas & Ricciardo as suitable replacements. If either go, it opens the door for Ocon as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:08 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
As per a report / article I read, if Vettel does retire after 2019, Ferrari are interested in Bottas & Ricciardo as suitable replacements. If either go, it opens the door for Ocon as well.

First of all I don't see Vettel retiring this year, it's interesting that Alonso is being seen as totally out of the picture. With Ricciardo he's under contract to Renault so I can't see that happening, Renault stopped the Hulk joining Mercedes in 2017. On to Bottas I could see that happening in respect to Bottas himself if they offer him more than the 1 year contracts he's been getting at Mercedes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:21 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Again, I don't put much stock in the idea that Vettel will retire. That said, this rumor sounds very interesting. So they are not considering either Lewis or Max? It looks like they want to build around Charles. They must be pretty convinced in his potential. I'm not so sure that Ricciardo makes for much of a #2 driver though. He might be quicker than Charles. Bottas is no slouch either.

It's all moot in my opinion. I don't think Vettel is going anywhere until after next season.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:27 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Again, I don't put much stock in the idea that Vettel will retire. That said, this rumor sounds very interesting. So they are not considering either Lewis or Max? It looks like they want to build around Charles. They must be pretty convinced in his potential. I'm not so sure that Ricciardo makes for much of a #2 driver though. He might be quicker than Charles. Bottas is no slouch either.

It's all moot in my opinion. I don't think Vettel is going anywhere until after next season.

I'm wondering why you think drivers already under contract would be considered for 2020 in particular Hamilton?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:15 pm 

j man wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
j man wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Kvyat matched up quite well against Ricciardo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:49 pm 

I agree. I don’t see Vettel walking away this year. In fact I think he, like Lewis are going to stick around for 2021 and take their chance at winning another title under new regulations.

Ferrari is happy with Leclerc so if Vettel did retire I don’t think they would go beyond a one year deal with someone for 2020 and bring in someone better for the next year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:36 am 

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I'm wondering why you think drivers already under contract would be considered for 2020 in particular Hamilton?

I think Max has a clause that would allow him to back out of his deal. I don't think that there's any way that Hamilton would be available next season. Mostly I was just referring to their overall mindset. That if Vettel leaves; they don't need to replace him with a top-tier driver necessarily because they feel they already have one. I think most people would say that Daniel is one of the elite drivers out there but Valteri probably a bit below that overall.

Max has been all positive about Red Bull. He's never said anything about wanting to leave and most of the speculation about him leaving comes from fans and media. I think it's entirely possible that Daniel will take over for Seb in 2021 and I certainly would love to see that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:41 am 

typaH4okc wrote:
Kvyat matched up quite well against Ricciardo.

No, he didn't. He was lucky to outscore Ricciardo in 2015, and was quite far off his pace in 2016.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:02 am 

pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

First of all I don't see Vettel retiring this year, it's interesting that Alonso is being seen as totally out of the picture. With Ricciardo he's under contract to Renault so I can't see that happening, Renault stopped the Hulk joining Mercedes in 2017. On to Bottas I could see that happening in respect to Bottas himself if they offer him more than the 1 year contracts he's been getting at Mercedes.

According to this article, which seems to be pulling info from the report mentioned above, Ricciardo has a get-out clause in place if Mercedes or Ferrari make him an offer

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorspor ... 6d6b47ddb6

Still, can’t see Vettel leaving this year anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:39 am 

Bentrovato wrote:
I agree. I don’t see Vettel walking away this year. In fact I think he, like Lewis are going to stick around for 2021 and take their chance at winning another title under new regulations.

Ferrari is happy with Leclerc so if Vettel did retire I don’t think they would go beyond a one year deal with someone for 2020 and bring in someone better for the next year.

Is he though?

Charles is certainly running him closer than Kimi did, and I've not seen anything so far that resembles the great friendship that he had with Raikkonen. Seb is definitely more worried about Leclerc's pace than he was with Kimi. Maybe that's why his performances have been sub-par?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:30 am 

Charles LeBrad wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

According to this article, which seems to be pulling info from the report mentioned above, Ricciardo has a get-out clause in place if Mercedes or Ferrari make him an offer

That is a tasty bit of info if true, especially with Renault not delivering

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:34 am 

mcdo wrote:
Charles LeBrad wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

If I was Ferrari I'd take 2014-2015 Ricciardo without a second thought. Their last two years together though Max exposed him quite a lot. Still, in a proper fast car like Ferrari Dan may be well suited

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:41 am 

Siao7 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Charles LeBrad wrote:
pokerman wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

If I was Ferrari I'd take 2014-2015 Ricciardo without a second thought. Their last two years together though Max exposed him quite a lot. Still, in a proper fast car like Ferrari Dan may be well suited

I think Ricciardo still always had the advantage of bringing the car home in one piece and bagging the points that came with it. However, Max has figured that part out now. I think 2019 Max would eat Dan alive

To stand any chance of beating Max, Dan has to drive a different car. In fact, I think everyone bar Hamilton does... and even with Lewis I'm not so sure...

Anyway if Ferrari want a change and neither of Hamilton or Verstappen are available then Dan is the best man for the job

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:47 am 

mcdo wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Charles LeBrad wrote:
pokerman wrote:

I think Ricciardo still always had the advantage of bringing the car home in one piece and bagging the points that came with it. However, Max has figured that part out now. I think 2019 Max would eat Dan alive

To stand any chance of beating Max, Dan has to drive a different car. In fact, I think everyone bar Hamilton does... and even with Lewis I'm not so sure...

Anyway if Ferrari want a change and neither of Hamilton or Verstappen are available then Dan is the best man for the job

Yeah, not sure many drivers, if any, would be comfortable next to Max right now. Dan would fair better than Gasly though, I can't see such a difference between them.

I just can't see where Vettel goes in this situation. Dan at Ferrari, Lewis in Merc, Max in RB, Vettel... Where? Macca?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:55 am 

No doubt Verstappen is much better than Gasly but 1 factor also in Verstappen thrashing Gasly so bad is that all the upgrades / new parts are only on Verstappen's car. So Red Bull being lenient with Gasly is understandable as well.