planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:53 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2020!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:45 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
It's looking more and more like this will be Grosjean's last year as an F1 driver. Rumors now have Ocon replacing him, potentially as soon as the next race! I think this just makes sense for all involved. Haas have to do something at this point. Romain is simply not producing results and the team is in a very bad place. Bringing in some new blood might help give them a boost.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/formula-1/102 ... -german-gp

For Mercedes, replacing Bottas just doesn't make sense unless it's with someone like Verstappen, Leclerc or Norris and you are looking at a succession plan for Hamilton. Ocon has not established that he is that kind of prospect IMO and shaking things up for no good reason would be foolish.

For Ocon, getting back on the grid as soon as possible should be his one and only priority. Holding out hope for a Mercedes drive is all well and good but it's looking like that ship may have sailed and Haas will put him in position to potentially replace Seb at Ferrari in the near future. He might be a bit apprehensive about joining mid-season though. That's never easy. I'd prefer to see him signed for next season and let Grosjean and Magnussen battle it out for the rest of the year to see who gets to stay on. Might be just the motivation they both need.

Wow, I can see that, but didn't expect it as soon as next race...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:21 am 

Siao7 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
It's looking more and more like this will be Grosjean's last year as an F1 driver. Rumors now have Ocon replacing him, potentially as soon as the next race! I think this just makes sense for all involved. Haas have to do something at this point. Romain is simply not producing results and the team is in a very bad place. Bringing in some new blood might help give them a boost.

For Mercedes, replacing Bottas just doesn't make sense unless it's with someone like Verstappen, Leclerc or Norris and you are looking at a succession plan for Hamilton. Ocon has not established that he is that kind of prospect IMO and shaking things up for no good reason would be foolish.

For Ocon, getting back on the grid as soon as possible should be his one and only priority. Holding out hope for a Mercedes drive is all well and good but it's looking like that ship may have sailed and Haas will put him in position to potentially replace Seb at Ferrari in the near future. He might be a bit apprehensive about joining mid-season though. That's never easy. I'd prefer to see him signed for next season and let Grosjean and Magnussen battle it out for the rest of the year to see who gets to stay on. Might be just the motivation they both need.

When a F1 driver makes mistakes of spinning the car exiting the pits, You can bet he's in a load of trouble. Do we see such mistakes in junior formulae even?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:44 am 

Grosjean is so frustrating, he can be a really solid F1 driver but he's just so inconsistent. I had a lot of time for him after 2013 with the way he turned it around from the lows of 2012 but I cant really blame Haas for having enough now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:47 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

When a F1 driver makes mistakes of spinning the car exiting the pits, You can bet he's in a load of trouble. Do we see such mistakes in junior formulae even?

DC stuffed it in the pitlane in the past for Williams I think. He did ok after that!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am 

Really great news on the horizon if these Grosjean rumours are true. Sorry (not sorry).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:33 pm 

Mid season changes have happened in the past. Ocon coming over to Haas is not a complete impossibility. The downside of this move would be severing ties with Mercedes (unless they loan him for 2019) & no possibility for driving with the Mercedes works team!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:36 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Mid season changes have happened in the past. Ocon coming over to Haas is not a complete impossibility. The downside of this move would be severing ties with Mercedes (unless they loan him for 2019) & no possibility for driving with the Mercedes works team!

Why not? So long as he leaves on good terms I could very much see him going there when a spot opens up provided he performs well at Haas. He would certainly be on the short list.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:36 pm 

This could get the ball rolling on the driver market. If indeed Ocon has been offered a drive at Haas then it may mean Mercedes are forced to make a decision regarding Bottas sooner than they planned.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:45 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:

It sounds like Ocon would just replace Grosjean until the end of the season and then they will take things from there, Steiner is not convinced by KMag either so if Ocon managed to beat KMag then I think he will be gone as well?

Interesting to see Rossi may be on their shopping list but would he take the seat?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:48 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

What's Norris done that Ocon hasn't?

He's looked to be quicker than Sainz in his rookie season. For me that is more impressive than Ocon looked in his first year. In terms of outright speed, Lando looks very impressive for a 19 year old rookie. He has also been very racey when he's had wheel to wheel chances. Ocon has never looked that special as a fighter. I suppose I see Ocon as a lateral move from Bottas at best. I don't see an upgrade there but I admit that I may be wrong.

I would say Norris has looked slightly better against Sainz than Ocon did against Perez across there first half season. I would also say that Perez is a bit better than Sainz. So I'd peg Ocon and Norris about equal at the same point in their careers. I think both have a lot of improvement in them to come.

I was a bit surprised by the mention of Norris as well, the notion that he's been quicker than Sainz is wrong, I would venture that Sainz has been quicker.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:53 pm 

Covalent wrote:
This could get the ball rolling on the driver market. If indeed Ocon has been offered a drive at Haas then it may mean Mercedes are forced to make a decision regarding Bottas sooner than they planned.

I'm sure I heard mention the decision will be made in the next 15-21 days and that was a day or 2 before.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:27 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

He's looked to be quicker than Sainz in his rookie season. For me that is more impressive than Ocon looked in his first year. In terms of outright speed, Lando looks very impressive for a 19 year old rookie. He has also been very racey when he's had wheel to wheel chances. Ocon has never looked that special as a fighter. I suppose I see Ocon as a lateral move from Bottas at best. I don't see an upgrade there but I admit that I may be wrong.

I would say Norris has looked slightly better against Sainz than Ocon did against Perez across there first half season. I would also say that Perez is a bit better than Sainz. So I'd peg Ocon and Norris about equal at the same point in their careers. I think both have a lot of improvement in them to come.

I was a bit surprised by the mention of Norris as well, the notion that he's been quicker than Sainz is wrong, I would venture that Sainz has been quicker.

I think Norris has been a shade behind Sainz on average which I think is very impressive. I was just surprised it would be impressive to somebody who doesn't think being a shade behind Perez is a performance of note for a young driver.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:06 pm 

Haas (at the moment) are saying Grosjean won't be ousted from the team & replaced at Germany.
https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/249381/haas-no-plans-to-replace-grosjean-for-germany

Haas are bravehearts I must say!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:15 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:

I think Norris has been a shade behind Sainz on average which I think is very impressive. I was just surprised it would be impressive to somebody who doesn't think being a shade behind Perez is a performance of note for a young driver.

To me it looks like Norris is starting to distance himself from Sainz. He has been so unlucky in the races. As far as qualifying he started quite a bit behind but he has now beaten Sainz 6 of the last 7 times and I think that trend will likely continue and the gap will grow as Lando gains more experience. I don’t rate Sainz that much though. Think he is average for f1. Norris has a higher ceiling in my view.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:20 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Haas (at the moment) are saying Grosjean won't be ousted from the team & replaced at Germany.
https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/249381/haas-no-plans-to-replace-grosjean-for-germany

Haas are bravehearts I must say!

That surely means we can start another rumour : It's Magnussen they intend to throw overboard (and rightly, if you ask me...).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:30 pm 

Well this first part of my prediction is about to come true. Next russell to merc and bottas to renault.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:40 pm 

spiritone wrote:
Well this first part of my prediction is about to come true. Next russell to merc and bottas to renault.

Why would Russell be preferred over Ocon if Bottas goes?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:12 pm 

Not sure if you guys have seen this already but Matthew Carter is pretty sure that Ocon will be at Merc next year and Russell possibly at Racing Point.

https://youtu.be/AlLj32Vjb6w?t=2139

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:56 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Not sure if you guys have seen this already but Matthew Carter is pretty sure that Ocon will be at Merc next year and Russell possibly at Racing Point.

I wonder where that leaves Perez?

Edit: and Bottas for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:54 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I'm confused by the idea that Norris is a shade behind Sainz. Yes, Carlos has had better race results but a lot of that has been down to luck and reliability. Take the last two races, for example. In Austria Lando was better in qualifying and in the race. In Silverstone Lando was also better in qualifying and the race but the safety car saved Carlos and screwed Lando.

Really since Canada, Lando has looked fairly consistently the quicker of the two. For a 19 year-old in his first season, that's nothing to sneeze at. I think his extremely young age along with his apparent speed and racecraft have already impressed me. His move on Ricciardo on lap one at Silverstone was excellent and his battling with Hamilton and Vettel in Austria was great to see. No fear there.

Don't get me wrong; for me, George Russel has been equally impressive; perhaps more so when you focus on race day performance. I think George is the real deal too. Neither he nor lando are as much of a sure thing as Max or Charles but I'd say both of them are more promising at this point than Ocon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:59 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Yes I was just adding to your post rather than questioning it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:07 pm 

kleefton wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

To me it looks like Norris is starting to distance himself from Sainz. He has been so unlucky in the races. As far as qualifying he started quite a bit behind but he has now beaten Sainz 6 of the last 7 times and I think that trend will likely continue and the gap will grow as Lando gains more experience. I don’t rate Sainz that much though. Think he is average for f1. Norris has a higher ceiling in my view.

I disagree, he was behind to begin with and he's now getting on level terms, there's no Norris beginning to gap Sainz.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:09 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
spiritone wrote:

Why would Russell be preferred over Ocon if Bottas goes?

He wouldn't, Russell was placed at Williams on a 2 year contract I believe, there is no rush to get Russell into the Mercedes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:12 pm 

kleefton wrote:

Yeah I saw it over a week ago, I'm not sure about that at all?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:15 pm 

JN23 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Well let's say it was true the rumour is that Perez will go to Haas to replace Grosjean, further to that I could see Bottas replacing the Hulk at Renault and regarding Hulk was there not a rumour of him ending up with Porsche in FE?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:23 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I'm confused by the idea that Norris is a shade behind Sainz. Yes, Carlos has had better race results but a lot of that has been down to luck and reliability. Take the last two races, for example. In Austria Lando was better in qualifying and in the race. In Silverstone Lando was also better in qualifying and the race but the safety car saved Carlos and screwed Lando.

Really since Canada, Lando has looked fairly consistently the quicker of the two. For a 19 year-old in his first season, that's nothing to sneeze at. I think his extremely young age along with his apparent speed and racecraft have already impressed me. His move on Ricciardo on lap one at Silverstone was excellent and his battling with Hamilton and Vettel in Austria was great to see. No fear there.

Don't get me wrong; for me, George Russel has been equally impressive; perhaps more so when you focus on race day performance. I think George is the real deal too. Neither he nor lando are as much of a sure thing as Max or Charles but I'd say both of them are more promising at this point than Ocon.

In Austria Sainz didn't bother setting a competitive time in Q2 because of his grid penalties, I believe he just took to the track to try and give Norris a tow?

He started from the back of the grid and finished just 2 places behind Norris.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:55 pm 

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

In Austria Sainz didn't bother setting a competitive time in Q2 because of his grid penalties, I believe he just took to the track to try and give Norris a tow?

Carlos had a very good race there but he has had the better luck of the two by far this season. In races like Canada, England and France, Lando was the quicker driver and the better performer but ran into reliability issues or just bad luck with a safety car and ended up finishing behind. To my eyes, Lando has the upper-hand at the moment but Carlos is experienced and solid and is doing a very good job as well. I think the results will come for Lando.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:02 am 

sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Carlos had a very good race there but he has had the better luck of the two by far this season. In races like Canada, England and France, Lando was the quicker driver and the better performer but ran into reliability issues or just bad luck with a safety car and ended up finishing behind. To my eyes, Lando has the upper-hand at the moment but Carlos is experienced and solid and is doing a very good job as well. I think the results will come for Lando.

Maybe you watch the pairing more closely than me?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:14 am 

If ocon was the favorite at merc why has russell done both f1 tests this year???? He has more potential than ocon. Ocon will end up in haas, bottas to renault and latfi. to williams.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:37 am 

JN23 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Carter was suggesting that stroll would be replaced, not Perez. Bottas I think maybe merc are thinking it’s time for a change and give someone else a shot in the car. It would be harsh to let him go but I guess if you are not championship level driver you can’t expect to be in a championship level car forever...so perhaps they are waiting to see if he is going to win the wdc or not.

Last edited by kleefton on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:41 am 

pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I disagree, he was behind to begin with and he's now getting on level terms, there's no Norris beginning to gap Sainz.

Yeah doesn’t sound like you are paying enough attention to this matchup. It is obvious that Norris has been getting the upper hand for a while now in qualifying. The races haven’t gone his way due to no fault of his own as sandman said before.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:08 am 

kleefton wrote:

I had mentioned this minus the video a few posts earlier!

Hope this turns true. As of now, we can just wait for the summer break where things would hopefully get a bit more clearer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:35 am 

kleefton wrote:
JN23 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Carter was suggesting that stroll would be replaced, not Perez. Bottas I think maybe merc are thinking it’s time for a change and give someone else a shot in the car. It would be harsh to let him go but I guess if you are not championship level driver you can’t expect to be in a championship level car forever...so perhaps they are waiting to see if he is going to win the wdc or not.

I would start worshipping Lawrence if he does oust Lance. Lance is surely the weak point of the team as he's unable to reach Q2 even. Lawrence's business side should take prominence over his Fatherly side.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:05 am 

kleefton wrote:

The 1 hour plus hearing of Matthew's podcast is so interesting. Loved his views on why $175 budget cap won't make a difference & Renault team would try to hamper McLaren's progress.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:12 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
kleefton wrote:

The 1 hour plus hearing of Matthew's podcast is so interesting. Loved his views on why $175 budget cap won't make a difference & Renault team would try to hamper McLaren's progress.

Very, very interesting view & Matt Carter made a few big calls there didn't he?

- Ocon a cert to end up at Merc. As good as a done deal.
- Renault will deliberately sabotage McLaren's championship efforts.
- The allusion that engineers can govern engine maps during a race
- The $175m cap is pretty much window dressing

I stated in the 2021 Regs thread that with the budget cap the devil will be in the detail & it's starting to sound like the FIA are doing their usual stunt of introducing a rule to attempt parity then carving the crap out of it so in the end it's pretty much a toothless tiger of a rule.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 360 trophies available, 26 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:19 am 

kleefton wrote:
JN23 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Stroll will be replaced?

I watched the podcast but must have slept on that one, Carter is putting his credibility on the line somewhat, I'm dubious of this and Ocon replacing Bottas at Mercedes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:22 am 

kleefton wrote:
pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Yeah doesn’t sound like you are paying enough attention to this matchup. It is obvious that Norris has been getting the upper hand for a while now in qualifying. The races haven’t gone his way due to no fault of his own as sandman said before.

Maybe not, I guess I need more convincing, let's see how the next few races pan out?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:39 pm 

pokerman wrote:
kleefton wrote:
JN23 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Stroll will be replaced?

I watched the podcast but must have slept on that one, Carter is putting his credibility on the line somewhat, I'm dubious of this and Ocon replacing Bottas at Mercedes.

I've heard this podcast 3 times already as it's so interesting. His take on Ocon is quite understandabale & sensical. Ocon was poised to join Mercedes but got caught out due to circumstances. It was an infomal agreement with Cyril for Ocon to drive in 2019 but went for Ricciardo. All this happened after Bottas was already signed for Mercedes for 2019. As per Carter, had Renault signed Ricciardo before Bottas got signed, Mercedes would've grabbed Ocon instead as they do believe Ocon is talented & special.

And he does believe Ocon will drive for Mercedes in 2020 as he's got some good sources, maybe within Mercedes, as when he was Team Principal of Lotus, those engines were Mercedes as well. His connection & belief are surely worth pondering about.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:26 pm 

kleefton wrote:
JN23 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Tough to be wdc when you have Lewis as teammate.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:48 am 

Covalent wrote:
kleefton wrote:
JN23 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

Tough to be wdc when you have Lewis as teammate.

Carter did say he would be WDC but not with Hamilton as his team mate. Ocon has a larger shelf life than Hamilton due to Ocon being close to 10 years younger.