It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2020!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:40 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Mick Schumacher won his first race in F2. I really do think that he'll be at Alfa Romeo in 2021 almost guaranteed.

Yes, due to the stupid reverse grid thing in F2.

Still, I think he will make it to F1. Name beats talent here.

I'm glad to see that someone else thinks the whole reverse grid sprint race is stupid too. I personally hate it and it creates weird incentives during the race. Finishing 8th place in the feature race is better than finishing 7th or even 6th for that matter because it puts you on pole for the sprint. I think they should go to having two distinct qualifying sessions for the two races but it seems that more and more of these feeder series are going to the reverse grid model. I suppose people must like it for some reason. For me, it just muddles the championship battle by giving lesser drivers falsely inflated results.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:43 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
Mick Schumacher won his first race in F2. I really do think that he'll be at Alfa Romeo in 2021 almost guaranteed.

I think he would need to finish at least 4th or 5th in the F2 championship. He does that and I agree he'll be sitting in an Alfa in 2021.

His current position in the F2 championship is 11th I think. long way to go!

http://www.fiaformula2.com/Standings/Driver/

Guessing he'll have two cracks at it, though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:57 pm 

Mercedes-Benz knows exactly who they want in their second car. Bottas might not be great, but he's been good enough this year to clinch the titles early and serve as a buffer for Hamilton in some races. That they've been threatening his job suggests that they want something other than a trusty number two. They clearly think one of their drivers is ready to step up and be groomed in the senior team.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:18 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I'm glad to see that someone else thinks the whole reverse grid sprint race is stupid too. I personally hate it and it creates weird incentives during the race. Finishing 8th place in the feature race is better than finishing 7th or even 6th for that matter because it puts you on pole for the sprint. I think they should go to having two distinct qualifying sessions for the two races but it seems that more and more of these feeder series are going to the reverse grid model. I suppose people must like it for some reason. For me, it just muddles the championship battle by giving lesser drivers falsely inflated results.

:thumbup:

I liked the system the old F3 European Championship was running.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:58 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I feel that's a little unfair. I don't think he's done that badly in F2 this year, the speed seems to be there as his qualifying tends to be decent but he's been caught up in too many incidents (not all his fault) and perhaps hasn't managed the tyres as well as others have. Both of these things will improve with a little more experience. He's clearly not as good as his father but I wouldn't write him off just yet. His next year in F2 will be key though, he needs to start delivering results rather than promise.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:27 pm 

j man wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I feel that's a little unfair. I don't think he's done that badly in F2 this year, the speed seems to be there as his qualifying tends to be decent but he's been caught up in too many incidents (not all his fault) and perhaps hasn't managed the tyres as well as others have. Both of these things will improve with a little more experience. He's clearly not as good as his father but I wouldn't write him off just yet. His next year in F2 will be key though, he needs to start delivering results rather than promise.

He's definitely starting to look comfortable in the series. I think he's starting to understand the tyres better as well, and it hasn't hurt that he's had a little more luck too.

mikeyg123 wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I think he would need to finish at least 4th or 5th in the F2 championship. He does that and I agree he'll be sitting in an Alfa in 2021.

He actually only needs to finish 6th. He's got 30 points from winning last year's F3 title and 6th in F2 would give him the remaining 10 points. Theoretically he could even finish 8th in the F2 standings and still reach 40 points, but he'd need to go and win Macau for the additional five points that affords. That would give him 41 (having received 6 for finishing 8th in F2).

8th is definitely achievable, while 6th is possible but would mean catching both Matsushita and Zhou, both of whom are going to be more of a moving target.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:38 am 

I believe that Schumacher actually had enough points to enter F1 this season but unlike Stroll they thought the sensible thing was to gain more experience in F2 before entering F1 so come in as high a level as possible whereas Stroll just wanted to be a F1 driver.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 23rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:47 am 

Hang on a bit, if Mick Schumacher gets a seat in F1 other than on merit.......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:06 am 

Todd wrote:
Mercedes-Benz knows exactly who they want in their second car. Bottas might not be great, but he's been good enough this year to clinch the titles early and serve as a buffer for Hamilton in some races. That they've been threatening his job suggests that they want something other than a trusty number two. They clearly think one of their drivers is ready to step up and be groomed in the senior team.

That's the case. Mercedes can't let their 2 drivers b in the queue all the while. Otherwise no use for the driver's program to exist. Ferrari's & Red Bull's driver programs are more doing more justice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:25 am 

Option or Prime wrote:

Yeah, we won't hear the end of it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:39 am 

Option or Prime wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean having enough super license points gives you the relevant merit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:56 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
mcdo wrote:
JN23 wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
If it comes out that Bottas is out at Mercedes, will he still be a team player to Hamilton?

I imagine he'd be more aggressive but I think he would still be respectful to Lewis/the team. Anyway Lewis is generally far enough ahead that I'm not sure it would make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

In situations like the start today Bottas might be a bit more aggressive though.

That ship has sailed. If he's not willing to fight more aggressively for a shot at the title then I doubt he would do much different if he was getting the boot

Playing devil's advocate here, but given the issues between Rosberg and Hamilton, I wouldn't be shocked if Valtteri hasn't been driving as aggressively as he might otherwise have done so. One of the biggest positives of his time at Mercedes has frequently been highlighted as how much more harmonious the atmosphere at the team is. Lewis has repeatedly mentioned it. So has Toto. I'm not saying he would've been just bumping Lewis off the road every time they got close if there wasn't that backdrop, but I do think the importance of no issues between him and Lewis would've been absolutely hammered into Valtteri when he replaced Nico, and he's probably been that little bit more cautious when they've been going wheel to wheel.

Edit: To add, that's not to say I think it would've made too much difference to the title battle. Lewis is clearly in a different class to Valtteri.

And both Toto/Valtteri have basically said exactly what I suggested, that Bottas was driving more cautiously because it was Lewis: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14525 ... tas--wolff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:04 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean having enough super license points gives you the relevant merit.

Ok I'll spell it out, if Mick Schumacher and 4 other drivers all have enough super license points. I would hope the better driver gets the F1 seat rather than the better known name.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:47 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Ok I'll spell it out, if Mick Schumacher and 4 other drivers all have enough super license points. I would hope the better driver gets the F1 seat rather than the better known name.

Are there better drivers with the super license points? Or just more experienced drivers?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:30 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Are there better drivers with the super license points? Or just more experienced drivers?

I think that's what Option or Prime is saying: in his hypothetical situation where Schumacher plus four other drivers have enough super license points to graduate to F1, he (Option or Prime) hopes the best driver gets the F1 seat. If Mick Schumacher happens to be the best driver, then that should be him. If he isn't then it should be whichever of the other four drivers is the best.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:53 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

I think that's what Option or Prime is saying: in his hypothetical situation where Schumacher plus four other drivers have enough super license points to graduate to F1, he (Option or Prime) hopes the best driver gets the F1 seat. If Mick Schumacher happens to be the best driver, then that should be him. If he isn't then it should be whichever of the other four drivers is the best.

Yep that pretty much nails it! Thanks J'sU.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:19 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:

Yep that pretty much nails it! Thanks J'sU.

Ah, got it. I thought you had a particular driver or drivers in mind that you thought deserved to be in F1 ahead of him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:15 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

The level of talent in this year's F2 is really low, that's true.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:25 pm 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Indeed. I think the leading pack at present are all Jolyon Palmers waiting to happen. Schumacher, Hubert and Zhou all seem promising enough as rookies that I can believe they'll become F1 level, but the likes of de Vries, Ghiotto, Sette Camara or Latifi have all been around long enough for us to know they're not.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:42 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Indeed. I think the leading pack at present are all Jolyon Palmers waiting to happen. Schumacher, Hubert and Zhou all seem promising enough as rookies that I can believe they'll become F1 level, but the likes of de Vries, Ghiotto, Sette Camara or Latifi have all been around long enough for us to know they're not.

Fully agree about the leading pack. I do not want to see anyone of those in F1 - although Latifi will probably graduate on money.

I am unsure about the quality of Schumacher, Hubert, and Zhou. I think, F3 has the better prospects this year with Vips, Shvartzman, and Lundgaard, for instance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:03 pm 

Love the alonso in for gasly vibe. It's always posters that think hamilton should take on the best drivers as a teammate. Well, now that people are touting verstap as king, i think he should take on alonso. Make it happen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:15 pm 

spiritone wrote:
Love the alonso in for gasly vibe. It's always posters that think hamilton should take on the best drivers as a teammate. Well, now that people are touting verstap as king, i think he should take on alonso. Make it happen.

Lewis agrees with you... https://www.planetf1.com/news/hamilton- ... placement/

I think both drivers are just having a bit of fun and it's a non starter for either tbf but nice tweet from Alonso in any case.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:02 am 

Option or Prime wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Sometimes that's a bit hard to judge, nominally this season the best drivers have far more experience than him, if we look at the top 4 drivers:-

de Vries - 24yo - 3rd season
Latifi - 24yo - 4th season
Camara - 21yo - 3rd season
Ghiotto - 24yo - 4th season
Schumacher - 20yo - rookie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:09 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:

Fully agree about the leading pack. I do not want to see anyone of those in F1 - although Latifi will probably graduate on money.

I am unsure about the quality of Schumacher, Hubert, and Zhou. I think, F3 has the better prospects this year with Vips, Shvartzman, and Lundgaard, for instance.

I agree with this, F3 is the place to see upcoming talent, F2 is full of drivers that are now winning because better drivers have moved on, some into F1, also good call on the likes of Vips and Lungaard, in regards to Shvartzman I'm always a bit sceptical of how good a Prema F3 driver is given the Prema tends to be the best car.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:10 am 

spiritone wrote:

Honda may not agree though?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:28 am 

pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

Sometimes that's a bit hard to judge, nominally this season the best drivers have far more experience than him, if we look at the top 4 drivers:-

So, let's see the rookies only:

Zhou - 20yo - Team Virtuosi - 107 points/0 victory - 6th
Hubert - 22yo -Arden - 77 points/2 victories - 8th
Schumacher - 20yo - Prema - 45 points/1 victory - 11th
Correa - 19yo - Charouz - 36 points - 12th

That's a more fair comparison, surely.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:01 am 

Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:

So, let's see the rookies only:

Zhou - 20yo - Team Virtuosi - 107 points/0 victory - 6th
Hubert - 22yo -Arden - 77 points/2 victories - 8th
Schumacher - 20yo - Prema - 45 points/1 victory - 11th
Correa - 19yo - Charouz - 36 points - 12th

That's a more fair comparison, surely.

Indeed but is Schumacher stopping any of these drivers from getting into F1, do they even have the necessary license points?

The best rookie thus far is Zhou but let's not forget that he was teammates with Schumacher last year in F3 and Schumacher beat him easily.

It's typical of Schumacher that he has a middling first season and then comes on strong in his second season, that becomes the time to judge him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:02 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
spiritone wrote:

I think both drivers are just having a bit of fun and it's a non starter for either tbf but nice tweet from Alonso in any case.

That post race conference was hilarious when they were discussing Alonso. Hamilton saying to Verstappen that he was the one with the extra seat must have left a mark on Gasly, poor guy. Everyone in F1 knows he's out the door.

It would be a risky move by Alonso, though. Racing with possibly the best F1 driver who'll only get better could tarnish Alonso's legacy a bit. I feel like if Alonso comes back like Schumacher and loses his sharpness it could be a very Schumi-esque comeback.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:42 am 

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
spiritone wrote:

That post race conference was hilarious when they were discussing Alonso. Hamilton saying to Verstappen that he was the one with the extra seat must have left a mark on Gasly, poor guy. Everyone in F1 knows he's out the door.

It would be a risky move by Alonso, though. Racing with possibly the best F1 driver who'll only get better could tarnish Alonso's legacy a bit. I feel like if Alonso comes back like Schumacher and loses his sharpness it could be a very Schumi-esque comeback.

But even in that case it would be worth it because of the sparks and the drama.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:17 pm 

Wouldn't a red Bull that has amazing downforce & grip around corners suit Alonso's driving style? I think Alonso would be a good match for Verstappen!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:33 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Wouldn't a red Bull that has amazing downforce & grip around corners suit Alonso's driving style? I think Alonso would be a good match for Verstappen!

It's not going to happen but it would be great to see.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:39 pm 

Surely drivers such as Grosjean, Gasly & Kubica won't be a part of the 2020 grid. So if Hulk takes Grosjean's place, (supposedly) Kvyat takes Gasly's place which means a seat vacant at Toro Rosso. Who'd be replacing Kubica then? Sirotkin or Latifi? Are any of these 2 drivers a bigger upgrade than Kubica, apart from the sponsorship money they'll bring?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:44 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Surely drivers such as Grosjean, Gasly & Kubica won't be a part of the 2020 grid. So if Hulk takes Grosjean's place, (supposedly) Kvyat takes Gasly's place which means a seat vacant at Toro Rosso. Who'd be replacing Kubica then? Sirotkin or Latifi? Are any of these 2 drivers a bigger upgrade than Kubica, apart from the sponsorship money they'll bring?

My guess is Latifi in for Kubica, Ocon or Bottas in for Grosjean, Kvyat in for Gasly and Vips in at STR.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:12 pm 

mcdo wrote:
JN23 wrote:
I imagine he'd be more aggressive but I think he would still be respectful to Lewis/the team. Anyway Lewis is generally far enough ahead that I'm not sure it would make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

In situations like the start today Bottas might be a bit more aggressive though.

That ship has sailed. If he's not willing to fight more aggressively for a shot at the title then I doubt he would do much different if he was getting the boot

Playing devil's advocate here, but given the issues between Rosberg and Hamilton, I wouldn't be shocked if Valtteri hasn't been driving as aggressively as he might otherwise have done so. One of the biggest positives of his time at Mercedes has frequently been highlighted as how much more harmonious the atmosphere at the team is. Lewis has repeatedly mentioned it. So has Toto. I'm not saying he would've been just bumping Lewis off the road every time they got close if there wasn't that backdrop, but I do think the importance of no issues between him and Lewis would've been absolutely hammered into Valtteri when he replaced Nico, and he's probably been that little bit more cautious when they've been going wheel to wheel.

Edit: To add, that's not to say I think it would've made too much difference to the title battle. Lewis is clearly in a different class to Valtteri.

And both Toto/Valtteri have basically said exactly what I suggested, that Bottas was driving more cautiously because it was Lewis: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14525 ... tas--wolff

Which is why Bottas wouldn't give Hamilton any harder of a time if he was told his contract wasn't going to be extended. He's a nice guy that toes the party line. He's not going to start getting aggressive after his top team days are numbered and he's shopping around for a seat somewhere else

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:14 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

My guess is Latifi in for Kubica, Ocon or Bottas in for Grosjean, Kvyat in for Gasly and Vips in at STR.

Vips needs to finish top 3 this year in F3 to get his super license, if that doesn't happen then they don't really have anyone to replace Gasly.

I agree with Latifi, I also think that Grosjean is out and I would also be throwing the Hulk in the mix to replace him given that Renault seem to be in no rush to re-sign him.

Last edited by pokerman on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:18 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Paolo_Lasardi wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Option or Prime wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Alternatively, the Gasly v Giovinazzi season doesn't look so hot now. The young guns aren't always the most promising

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:23 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:

I think any car would suit Alonso's driving style. 2007 is the only time I recall him taking a while to adapt to new handling characteristics

In an Alonso v Verstappen scenario I think he would very much have to rely on being the Lauda against Prost or the being the Prost against Senna. I don't believe he'd have an answer for Max on Saturday, he'd have to throw everything at Sunday

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:25 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Vips needs to finish top 3 this year in F3 to get his super license, if that doesn't happen then they don't really have anyone to replace Gasly.

I agree with Latifi, I also think that Grosjean is out and I would also be throwing the Hulk in the mix to replace him given that Renault seem to be in no rush to re-sign him.

I think ultimately Hulk's future depends on what Mercedes do. If they go for Bottas I think Ocon may well get the Renault drive. Otherwise they will stick with Hulk.

Haas will get whoever is left out of that merry-go-round out of Ocon, Hulk and Bottas. I think Vips will get top 4 and could actually be a very handy driver. If he wins F3 I would say he is a lock on.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:46 pm 

mcdo wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I think any car would suit Alonso's driving style. 2007 is the only time I recall him taking a while to adapt to new handling characteristics

In an Alonso v Verstappen scenario I think he would very much have to rely on being the Lauda against Prost or the being the Prost against Senna. I don't believe he'd have an answer for Max on Saturday, he'd have to throw everything at Sunday

It's kind of funny how often drivers have problems with cars when they have a stronger teammate, just saying.

For the record Hamilton was stronger against Alonso in the second half of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:47 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I think ultimately Hulk's future depends on what Mercedes do. If they go for Bottas I think Ocon may well get the Renault drive. Otherwise they will stick with Hulk.

Haas will get whoever is left out of that merry-go-round out of Ocon, Hulk and Bottas. I think Vips will get top 4 and could actually be a very handy driver. If he wins F3 I would say he is a lock on.

Yeah I'd go along with all that apart from top 4 wouldn't get Vips a super license.