planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:30 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2020!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:34 pm 

Why would Hamilton retire? Mercedes are set to dominate for a good while yet, the PU will not change its basic architecture in the new regs, If this upgrade goes well then you can expect this year and next to change very little.
The key is Vettel, he seems a bit like Rosberg family orientated so I think unless Ferrari have a surprise he might go, can't see him as putting up with P2-4 really and Leclerc isn't going to get slower. I fancy Max to stay at RB with further improvements to the Honda we know what kind of chassis they can produce so LH and MV to fight it out! Everything else is just who is riding shotgun.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:31 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Hulk to Red Bull feels like vintage Silly Season stuff. Since Vettel's promotion in 2009, every driver who has raced for Red Bull has arrived at the team from Toro Rosso. If they really, genuinely feel Gasly is a) not quick enough and b) isn't ever going to be quick enough (which I think is the more pressing issue) then they'll promote Albon or Kvyat.

As for Vettel retiring, I don't see it either, certainly not this year. I could maybe see him being forced out of Ferrari at the end of 2020 if they decide to replace him, and that if an attractive seat isn't available, he'd contemplate retiring then (although I personally think he would take a sabbatical rather than retire). But it doesn't make sense right now.

I think there will be always a seat available for him at Mercedes, whether he would want to take it alongside Hamilton is another matter though?

The idea that Mercedes are keen on signing Vettel is a complete myth IMO. Nothing but rumors just like the idea that Hamilton will drive for Ferrari. I don't think Mercedes have any particular interest in signing him. People put too much stock in the nationality thing. Don't get me wrong; I don't think there's any animosity there but Mercedes know that Max is the logical replacement should Hamilton walk away.

I think they would sign him alongside Hamilton but I don't think Vettel is too keen on that?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 26th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:33 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
I think if Hamilton decided to retire at the end of the season and they couldn't get Max then Ocon would probably be the guy they went for. I think they have their hearts set on Verstappen and if they had to wait a year with an Ocon/Bottas lineup then they would.

That's exactly what would happen but no way is Hamilton retiring at the end of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:26 pm 

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Hulk to Red Bull feels like vintage Silly Season stuff. Since Vettel's promotion in 2009, every driver who has raced for Red Bull has arrived at the team from Toro Rosso. If they really, genuinely feel Gasly is a) not quick enough and b) isn't ever going to be quick enough (which I think is the more pressing issue) then they'll promote Albon or Kvyat.

As for Vettel retiring, I don't see it either, certainly not this year. I could maybe see him being forced out of Ferrari at the end of 2020 if they decide to replace him, and that if an attractive seat isn't available, he'd contemplate retiring then (although I personally think he would take a sabbatical rather than retire). But it doesn't make sense right now.

I think there will be always a seat available for him at Mercedes, whether he would want to take it alongside Hamilton is another matter though?

The idea that Mercedes are keen on signing Vettel is a complete myth IMO. Nothing but rumors just like the idea that Hamilton will drive for Ferrari. I don't think Mercedes have any particular interest in signing him. People put too much stock in the nationality thing. Don't get me wrong; I don't think there's any animosity there but Mercedes know that Max is the logical replacement should Hamilton walk away.

I think they would sign him alongside Hamilton but I don't think Vettel is too keen on that?

I don't think so. With Rosberg on the team, these last 2 titles would have been much harder for Hamilton to secure. With Vettel on the team, it would be very similar; with the two of them taking points off of each other. They would be at a major disadvantage to any team with a competitive car and a 1-2 driver lineup. I don't think that they would want to pair them as teammates and I don't think that if Hamilton left that Vettel would be the first phone call they make. They would move on to Max; who has arguably more talent and definitely more time left in F1 than Vettel.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:45 am 

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

You could stop repeating this mantra but I don't think you're too keen on that?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:20 am 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

It's only what I read, Vettel had talks with Wolff after the 2016 season.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:49 am 

pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

That's not true, Wolff and Lauda were asked about Vettel at the time and they refused to discount him when his contract was finishing in 2018. That was the story in 2016. They never had talks to join Mercedes and Vettel never said explicitly that he didn't want to be alongside Hamilton. The only thing that Wolff said is that Vettel is loyal to his current employer. The rest sounds like made up stories.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-auto ... ari-driver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:35 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

That's not true, Wolff and Lauda were asked about Vettel at the time and they refused to discount him when his contract was finishing in 2018. That was the story in 2016. They never had talks to join Mercedes and Vettel never said explicitly that he didn't want to be alongside Hamilton. The only thing that Wolff said is that Vettel is loyal to his current employer. The rest sounds like made up stories.

It came from Hamilton, Wolff informed Hamilton he had talks with Vettel and Hamilton spilled the beans, not sure I can find the article though because I'm sure I once tried to before?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:54 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:

It came from Hamilton, Wolff informed Hamilton he had talks with Vettel and Hamilton spilled the beans, not sure I can find the article though because I'm sure I once tried to before?

Sounds legit enough to report as fact ad nauseam.

[/s]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:03 pm 

Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

[/s]

In fairness to Poker here he isn't reporting it as fact. He said "I think" in his post twice indicating that he is sharing something he believes is true rather than something he knows is true.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:48 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

[/s]

In fairness to Poker here he isn't reporting it as fact. He said "I think" in his post twice indicating that he is sharing something he believes is true rather than something he knows is true.

Cheers I'm only passing on things that I read, unfortunately I can't find the relevant article so that kind of makes it mute.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:52 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

I can't find the relevant article but I can find conflicting articles.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/vette ... etirement/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:30 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Doesn't really make sense though if you think logically about it. I highly doubt Mercedes are interested in a Hamilton, Vettel line up. Given their success with Bottas why go back to an atmosphere almost guaranteed to be like the Hamilton v Rosberg one if not worse.

Given Vettel's current salary I have trouble believing Mercedes would sign off on paying the two highest salaries on the grid by a country mile. Also factor in the desire for a succession plan. They have Ocon in the wings and no doubt want Verstappen for the future too.

I have no doubt Vettel and Hamilton wouldn't want to be each others teammates given how toxic that would inevitably get, but I have a hard time believing it's even close to being an option anyway from Mercedes point of view.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:25 pm 

It could all have some basis of truth, however, I think things have moved on now. I don't think Vettel's errors and Ferrari's tactical bungling have helped.

Increasing rumours of Vettel's impending retirement.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1135436/Sebastian-Vettel-retirement-Ferrari-Fernando-Alonso-Charles-Leclerc-F1-news

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:49 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Doesn't really make sense though if you think logically about it. I highly doubt Mercedes are interested in a Hamilton, Vettel line up. Given their success with Bottas why go back to an atmosphere almost guaranteed to be like the Hamilton v Rosberg one if not worse.

Given Vettel's current salary I have trouble believing Mercedes would sign off on paying the two highest salaries on the grid by a country mile. Also factor in the desire for a succession plan. They have Ocon in the wings and no doubt want Verstappen for the future too.

I have no doubt Vettel and Hamilton wouldn't want to be each others teammates given how toxic that would inevitably get, but I have a hard time believing it's even close to being an option anyway from Mercedes point of view.

Well this was before Bottas had even sat in the Mercedes and let's not forget he only had a 1 year contract.

Mercedes clearly have tried to sign Verstappen so I'm not sure why you would think that Vettel would be any worse in terms of team harmony?

Mercedes were already paying Rosberg $18M and he wasn't even a WDC, I'm sure they could stretch to paying $34 for a German 4xWDC?

Anyway I think there's enough smoke about for it to be true that Mercedes had talks with Vettel?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:52 pm 

Option or Prime wrote:
It could all have some basis of truth, however, I think things have moved on now. I don't think Vettel's errors and Ferrari's tactical bungling have helped.

Increasing rumours of Vettel's impending retirement.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1135436/Sebastian-Vettel-retirement-Ferrari-Fernando-Alonso-Charles-Leclerc-F1-news

Marca are known to be unreliable, this might be a case of what they want to happen rather than what will happen?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:12 am 

pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Well this was before Bottas had even sat in the Mercedes and let's not forget he only had a 1 year contract.

Mercedes clearly have tried to sign Verstappen so I'm not sure why you would think that Vettel would be any worse in terms of team harmony?

Mercedes were already paying Rosberg $18M and he wasn't even a WDC, I'm sure they could stretch to paying $34 for a German 4xWDC?

Anyway I think there's enough smoke about for it to be true that Mercedes had talks with Vettel?

I haven't heard anything confirming that Mercedes have tried to sign Verstappen, but even if they have he is clearly the future while Vettel and Hamilton are the present.

I have no doubt they spoke to him after 2016, they would be crazy not to have a look at all of their options after Rosberg left. In fact I would be shocked if teams weren't constantly in contact with drivers management teams and vice versa for due diligence should one of their drivers leave or contract be up for negotiation. However I dont think there has ever been any serious intention from Mercedes to sign Vettel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:20 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

I haven't heard anything confirming that Mercedes have tried to sign Verstappen, but even if they have he is clearly the future while Vettel and Hamilton are the present.

I have no doubt they spoke to him after 2016, they would be crazy not to have a look at all of their options after Rosberg left. In fact I would be shocked if teams weren't constantly in contact with drivers management teams and vice versa for due diligence should one of their drivers leave or contract be up for negotiation. However I dont think there has ever been any serious intention from Mercedes to sign Vettel.

When could they have actually signed Vettel, he was under contract until 2017 and in 2017 Ferrari finally produced a title challenging car and he promptly signed another 3 year contract with them on the back of it, I daresay things might have been different if in 2017 he had found himself in the same position at Ferrari that he presently is in?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:23 pm 

I like to see if Renault could gamble into getting Rossi to pair with Riccardo. It is just a saying. But look what Alex has done this season so far.

But then again: Every Indy Car team are studying his race - passing strategy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:10 pm 

Placid wrote:
I like to see if Renault could gamble into getting Rossi to pair with Riccardo. It is just a saying. But look what Alex has done this season so far.

Would Rossi be interested in a midfield F1 seat? I think he's better off where he is, winning races and competing for titles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:31 pm 

Placid wrote:

You're really *still* banging the Rossi-back-to-F1 drum?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:03 am 

mcdo wrote:
Placid wrote:

Would Rossi be interested in a midfield F1 seat? I think he's better off where he is, winning races and competing for titles

In respect to Renault they could pay him a bigger retainer but I doubt they would sign him anyway.

Rossi did have ambitions to drive in F1 so given the chance he might give it a go, Indycars is always something he could go back to.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:47 am 

mcdo wrote:
Placid wrote:

I certainly hope so. Having won the 500; if he wins the championship this season, there wouldn't be much more for him to prove in Indy, would there? I've always felt that Rossi has unfinished business in F1. He never really got a fair shot IMO and I think he might surprise some people.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:54 pm 

I love that this is even being debated. Rossi - and any driver on the IndyCar grid - would fall over themselves to sign for Renault, given the chance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:27 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Placid wrote:

I certainly hope so. Having won the 500; if he wins the championship this season, there wouldn't be much more for him to prove in Indy, would there? I've always felt that Rossi has unfinished business in F1. He never really got a fair shot IMO and I think he might surprise some people.

For the life of me I can't understand why he isn't a shoe in at Haas, surely Grosjean has run his course now, another misfiring start to the season.

Rossi is American, Haas are American, the F1 owners are American, they are also pushing hard for F1 to be successful in America, why don't they give Haas some kind of incentive to make it happen?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:24 am 

I love that this is even being debated. Rossi - and any driver on the IndyCar grid - would fall over themselves to sign for Renault, given the chance.

You have an inflated view of F1. There's no chance someone like Scott Dixon would leave his situation as possibly the greatest IndyCar driver of all time to go up against Dan Ricciardo in a midfield F1 team battling Force Indias and Toro Rossos

edit: Also, see article below. Rossi himself rules it out

Last edited by mcdo on Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:28 am 

pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Placid wrote:

For the life of me I can't understand why he isn't a shoe in at Haas, surely Grosjean has run his course now, another misfiring start to the season.

Rossi is American, Haas are American, the F1 owners are American, they are also pushing hard for F1 to be successful in America, why don't they give Haas some kind of incentive to make it happen?

According to Rossi himself if it's not Merc or Ferrari calling then there's no point

https://autoweek.com/article/indycar/al ... merican-f1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:57 pm 

mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Placid wrote:

According to Rossi himself if it's not Merc or Ferrari calling then there's no point

Just my opinion here but... I don't buy that for a second. It's easy for him to sit there and say that when there isn't much (really, any) chance of a good seat being offered to him. I could do completely the same with regards to my own work situation. It's very easy to do when you're talking hypotheticals, particularly if you're wanting to project loyalty to where you currently are. For example, I'm sure Colton Herta put a few noses out of joint by saying he was now targeting F1 after joining the Red Bull Junior Team. But the fact is that he (Rossi) could go back to F1 and even if he fails and leaves after a year, he'd have multiple seats available to him to return to IndyCar.

As for Dixon, I'll concede that I was a little sweeping with my previous statement + accept that he's an outlier because of a few factors (age, his standing in the series, his pursuit of some huge records).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:27 pm 

mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Placid wrote:

Fair enough like he said you've got to prove yourself in F1 before you get any chance of a Mercedes or Ferrari seat, doing well in Indycars is not proof enough for such teams.

He's comfortable enough, makes a nice living and doesn't have to travel outside of America.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:30 pm 

mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Just my opinion here but... I don't buy that for a second. It's easy for him to sit there and say that when there isn't much (really, any) chance of a good seat being offered to him. I could do completely the same with regards to my own work situation. It's very easy to do when you're talking hypotheticals, particularly if you're wanting to project loyalty to where you currently are. For example, I'm sure Colton Herta put a few noses out of joint by saying he was now targeting F1 after joining the Red Bull Junior Team. But the fact is that he (Rossi) could go back to F1 and even if he fails and leaves after a year, he'd have multiple seats available to him to return to IndyCar.

As for Dixon, I'll concede that I was a little sweeping with my previous statement + accept that he's an outlier because of a few factors (age, his standing in the series, his pursuit of some huge records).

That's Pat O'Ward not Colton Herta, shame because I think Red Bull signed up the wrong driver.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:11 pm 

mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
mcdo wrote:

Are you also not talking in hypotheticals? If he was offered a Renault seat (he won't be) he would definitely snap it up (he says he wouldn't). There isn't much evidence to suggest he'd snap it up in a heartbeat, just conjecture

As pokerman has pointed out, Rossi has a lot going for him where he is. Josef Newgarden might have become an all-American poster boy after his title win but I think it's Rossi that's primed to be the superstar if he can beat him

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:01 pm 

i don't think haas has the money rossi would want to switch to f1. rossi has a very, very good relationship with american honda and red bull could be a surprise spot for him.

he is also going to have all kinds of offers for indy car. i imagine honda will step up and throw some money at him to try and keep him where he is

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:06 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

That's Pat O'Ward not Colton Herta, shame because I think Red Bull signed up the wrong driver.

Heh, you're correct, it's O'Ward. I spent enough time on Twitter debating whether or not he's got enough points for a Superlicense (he doesn't, IMO) that I shouldn't have got them confused. I think I've just got Herta on the brain after his drive in Texas this past weekend. I'd love to see him come over to F1 as he doesn't seem to be intimidated by anything at all, sort of like a young JPM.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:40 pm 

mcdo wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:

Are you also not talking in hypotheticals? If he was offered a Renault seat (he won't be) he would definitely snap it up (he says he wouldn't). There isn't much evidence to suggest he'd snap it up in a heartbeat, just conjecture

As pokerman has pointed out, Rossi has a lot going for him where he is. Josef Newgarden might have become an all-American poster boy after his title win but I think it's Rossi that's primed to be the superstar if he can beat him

This whole thread is hypotheticals, though. I certainly won't argue that he's got a lot going for him if he stays in IndyCar and a move to Penske or Ganassi will surely come in the next few years, which will only strengthen the reasons for him to stay in America. But if a team is going to break into the top three then Renault are a good bet, and they have the money to entice a driver if they want him or her (see: Daniel Ricciardo's bank balance). Maybe I'm wrong and he genuinely would shot that opportunity down no matter what he was offered but it's not like we're talking about Williams here; it's a damn good seat for anyone who isn't racing at Mercedes or Ferrari.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:07 pm 

pc27b wrote:
i don't think haas has the money rossi would want to switch to f1. rossi has a very, very good relationship with american honda and red bull could be a surprise spot for him.

he is also going to have all kinds of offers for indy car. i imagine honda will step up and throw some money at him to try and keep him where he is

Well with respect to Haas I was thinking of Liberty Media helping to make it happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:12 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mcdo wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Heh, you're correct, it's O'Ward. I spent enough time on Twitter debating whether or not he's got enough points for a Superlicense (he doesn't, IMO) that I shouldn't have got them confused. I think I've just got Herta on the brain after his drive in Texas this past weekend. I'd love to see him come over to F1 as he doesn't seem to be intimidated by anything at all, sort of like a young JPM.

Indeed but at the moment he's still a bit raw, his crash with Dixon last time out looked a bit rash on his part, also he needs to show he can be a regular winner in Indycar first.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:00 pm 

Ocon's management (which also includes Toto) are already trying to find a seat for him in 2020.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/39485/ocon-already-targeting-seat-for-next-season.html

It's probably Mercedes or Haas.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:18 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Ocon's management (which also includes Toto) are already trying to find a seat for him in 2020.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/39485/ocon-already-targeting-seat-for-next-season.html

PF1 just posted that Kubica is assessing his options, and probably won’t be in Williams next season. That could be a spot also

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:48 am 

Charles LeBrad wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

PF1 just posted that Kubica is assessing his options, and probably won’t be in Williams next season. That could be a spot also

Pretty safe to say Kubica won't drive an F1 car again unless by some miracle he starts performing vastly better in the second half of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:53 am 

Covalent wrote:
Charles LeBrad wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

Pretty safe to say Kubica won't drive an F1 car again unless by some miracle he starts performing vastly better in the second half of the season.

It's fair to say he's the slowest driver in F1.