planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:57 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Silly Season 2020!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:20 am 

kleefton wrote:
So Bottas looks like he’s going to hang on uh? I guess it’s ok if you are Merc, but no more pretentions about seriously challenging Hamilton please! He is the second driver and no one will take him seriously even if he comes back next year with a bigger beard. He is for sure going to get another beating. I would have thought he’d be tired of it by now but oh well...

Is this like a dire hope, or what? Bottas can come back as Nico and Jensen did and take the title if his car doesn't fail him and the team doesn't sabotage his drive with poor strategy. Many will take him seriously, I imagine. I don't believe his performance merits total disdain or anything. His defensive driving is top notch.

Quote:
Ocon to Renault is going to be interesting. Vey curious how he will measure up to Ricciardo.

Hulk to Haas makes sense for them I guess but for him I don’t think it’s a good move because that seals his fate as a perennial midfield driver and he can kiss that elusive podium goodbye. He’d be better off in formula e imo.

I have to agree with you on the Hulk move. He would likely do very well in FE. But if he wants to be in F1, then a seat is a seat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:22 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Maybe Ocon joining Renault isn't assured as people could be thinking.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1169511/Nico-Hulkenberg-Renault-Mercedes-Esteban-Ocon-F1-news-Valtteri-Bottas-Lewis-Hamilton

From Abiteboul.

"Nico's contract, the initial term is coming to an end at the end of this year but there is some mechanism of options as has been commented on press which I'm not going to disclose in the details that can kick in, so it's maybe that we continue our journey with Nico."

That's a bombshell ain't it? This surely will put Wolff sweating. Hulk ain't doing too bad to be replaced even.

If this is the case & if Mercedes have selected Bottas for 2020, I wonder why Ocon changed his role in Twitter from Reserve driver to Formula 1 driver?

This thing about Ocon's twitter is complete bull****. It seems to be based on someone from Reddit.

Ocon's instagram story sets the record straight:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:54 am 

JN23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1169511/Nico-Hulkenberg-Renault-Mercedes-Esteban-Ocon-F1-news-Valtteri-Bottas-Lewis-Hamilton

From Abiteboul.

"Nico's contract, the initial term is coming to an end at the end of this year but there is some mechanism of options as has been commented on press which I'm not going to disclose in the details that can kick in, so it's maybe that we continue our journey with Nico."

That's a bombshell ain't it? This surely will put Wolff sweating. Hulk ain't doing too bad to be replaced even.

If this is the case & if Mercedes have selected Bottas for 2020, I wonder why Ocon changed his role in Twitter from Reserve driver to Formula 1 driver?

This thing about Ocon's twitter is complete bull****. It seems to be based on someone from Reddit.

Honestly, stuff like this is why I can't take WTF1 seriously for *actual* F1 news. They report/encourage rumours and have a habit of being a bit clickbaity, whilst obviously making no attempt to then correct their own BS.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:54 am 

JN23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

From Abiteboul.

But Mate he has changed his role description to Formula 1 driver:

Source - Imgur

However, a recent article states he didn't mean to imply anything specific & has barely touced his Twitter handle this year.
https://www.gpfans.com/en/articles/43810/ocon-shoots-down-instagram-rumours/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:17 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
JN23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

From Abiteboul.

Source - Imgur

However, a recent article states he didn't mean to imply anything specific & has barely touced his Twitter handle this year.

I've literally just posted a tweet which shows Ocon saying he hasn't changed it. If you can show me proof that he changed it and that Ocon is lying then fine, but for the moment I'll carry on saying that it is bull****.

Edit: the article you've linked also gives the same screenshot that I sent, with Ocon saying it's made up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:40 am 

JN23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
JN23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

From Abiteboul.

Source - Imgur

I've literally just posted a tweet which shows Ocon saying he hasn't changed it. If you can show me proof that he changed it and that Ocon is lying then fine, but for the moment I'll carry on saying that it is bull****.

Edit: the article you've linked also gives the same screenshot that I sent, with Ocon saying it's made up.

True Mate.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:22 pm 

bourbon19 wrote:
kleefton wrote:
So Bottas looks like he’s going to hang on uh? I guess it’s ok if you are Merc, but no more pretentions about seriously challenging Hamilton please! He is the second driver and no one will take him seriously even if he comes back next year with a bigger beard. He is for sure going to get another beating. I would have thought he’d be tired of it by now but oh well...

Is this like a dire hope, or what? Bottas can come back as Nico and Jensen did and take the title if his car doesn't fail him and the team doesn't sabotage his drive with poor strategy. Many will take him seriously, I imagine. I don't believe his performance merits total disdain or anything. His defensive driving is top notch.

It is never going to happen, barring a catastrophic Hamilton season. Let's be real. Nico had the benefit of a dominant car, with no close challengers and Hamilton's reliability issues. Jenson, I don't even know why you bring him up because him and Ham were never serious title challengers during their tenure. Bottas in a top car sticks out like a sore thumb. As soon as the other cars close up the performance gap, he can't keep up with them and therefore finsihes 4th, 5th or 6th in the reaces. I've seen this movie too many times. No reason to expect something different when the same characters are reprising their role.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:33 am 

Great Missedapex podcast again. Skip to 32:10 for the talks on latest Silly season rumours:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:15 am 

We can expect Bottas' Mercedes decision this week but it doesn't seem to be a smooth sail of events yet for Ocon to Renault because of Hulk's contract clause. Wolff would surely want o get Ocon settled somewhere before announcing Bottas' deal!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:58 pm 

It might have been on Planet F1 home page too that Renault are about to sign Esteban Ocon but are keen to help Nico Hulkenburg a drive else where, the article in question are saying Hulkenburg to Haas. However I am wondering if Alfa Romeo are happy with Antonio Giovinazzi if not Hulkenburg could go there?

So that Hulkenburg could have the following options if he's dropped by Renault.

Red Bull is unlikely, there were early in season rumours he was going there for 2020.
Haas
Alfa Romeo ? Only if they are unhappy with Gio.

The wildcard option is Porsche Formula E.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:18 pm 

paulsf1fix wrote:
It might have been on Planet F1 home page too that Renault are about to sign Esteban Ocon but are keen to help Nico Hulkenburg a drive else where, the article in question are saying Hulkenburg to Haas. However I am wondering if Alfa Romeo are happy with Antonio Giovinazzi if not Hulkenburg could go there?

Red Bull is unlikely, there were early in season rumours he was going there for 2020.
Haas

I think Ferrari choose who gets the second seat at Alfa Romeo so I can't see them choosing Hulk for it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:04 pm 

paulsf1fix wrote:

Haas

I never understood why it's so hard to write Hulkenberg. Nobody ever wrote Rosburg either so why this?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:09 am 

As per French publication Auto Hebdo, Ocon's deal with Renault has finally struck. Don't know if it's for 1 year or 2 years though.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/44212/rumour-esteban-ocon-completes-renault-move-.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:50 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
As per French publication Auto Hebdo, Ocon's deal with Renault has finally struck. Don't know if it's for 1 year or 2 years though.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/44212/rumour-esteban-ocon-completes-renault-move-.html

I think the very first word in the article says it all.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 342 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:59 am 

froze wrote:
paulsf1fix wrote:

Haas

I never understood why it's so hard to write Hulkenberg. Nobody ever wrote Rosburg either so why this?

Two very different things, berg = mountain, burg = town, often walled.

Hulkenberg = A mountainous frame.

Rosberg = A mountain of roses.

Sort of says it all for me!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:48 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

I think the very first word in the article says it all.

Everything is a rumour / speculation till officially confirmed!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:42 am 

Purely my own assumption, but if Mercedes haven't already made a decision + informed the drivers then I'd be kind of amazed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:11 am 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Purely my own assumption, but if Mercedes haven't already made a decision + informed the drivers then I'd be kind of amazed.

Even though it's obvious Bottas will be chosen, there must be a lot of thinking over when it comes to short term & long term. More than Bottas, Ocon would need more than a reassurance regarding a 2020 seat anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:19 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Jenson's Understeer wrote:

Even though it's obvious Bottas will be chosen, there must be a lot of thinking over when it comes to short term & long term. More than Bottas, Ocon would need more than a reassurance regarding a 2020 seat anywhere.

Learning from the mistakes of last year I believe Mercedes are making sure that Ocon is signed, sealed and delivered before announcing the signing of Bottas.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 26th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:20 am 

Option or Prime wrote:
froze wrote:
paulsf1fix wrote:

Haas

Two very different things, berg = mountain, burg = town, often walled.

Hulkenberg = A mountainous frame.

Rosberg = A mountain of roses.

Sort of says it all for me!

The mind boggles, what could be the Hulk of all mountains? :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:09 pm 

Hulkenberg's Instagram story is very strange today, putting a picture of Ocon in Renault gear and saying that it would be an exciting Thursday ahead. Either he's being sarcastic in that the media are saying he's about to get booted out of Renault, or he's suggesting that something unexpected will happen in two days time. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I'd love to see Hulkenberg given a shot at Mercedes, although admittedly would likely not provide Hamilton with too much of a challenge. It's basically anyone but Bottas for me, never understood the hype around him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:30 pm 

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
Hulkenberg's Instagram story is very strange today, putting a picture of Ocon in Renault gear and saying that it would be an exciting Thursday ahead. Either he's being sarcastic in that the media are saying he's about to get booted out of Renault, or he's suggesting that something unexpected will happen in two days time. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I'd love to see Hulkenberg given a shot at Mercedes, although admittedly would likely not provide Hamilton with too much of a challenge. It's basically anyone but Bottas for me, never understood the hype around him.

There is, nor can I ever recall, any hype around Bottas.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:25 pm 

"Finally a more exciting Thursday ahead"
Picture: the cover of Auto Hebdo which has Ocon in Renault gear, the story saying he will be driving for Renault next year.

I read it as him saying that the media day will be more interesting than usual with him having to answer questions about the Ocon rumours, since the press day is Thursday, rather than hinting about any announcements.

If anything it makes me think there isnt much to the rumour tbh.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:34 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:

When Bottas came on the scene, we had people agreeing with Frank Williams' statement that he would be a future world champion. Before he moved to Mercedes, he was a lot of people's hot picks ahead of Hulkenberg and Perez to replace Rosberg.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:38 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:

When Bottas came on the scene, we had people agreeing with Frank Williams' statement that he would be a future world champion. Before he moved to Mercedes, he was a lot of people's hot picks ahead of Hulkenberg and Perez to replace Rosberg.

He was the obvious choice because of the Toto connection. I don't think there was ever a consensus that he would be able to compete with Hamilton.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:40 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:

"Finally a more exciting Thursday ahead"
Picture: the cover of Auto Hebdo which has Ocon in Renault gear, the story saying he will be driving for Renault next year.

I read it as him saying that the media day will be more interesting than usual with him having to answer questions about the Ocon rumours, since the press day is Thursday, rather than hinting about any announcements.

If anything it makes me think there isnt much to the rumour tbh.

Yeah, true. I'm finding it hard to understand why Hulkenberg would move to HAAS F1 team at this stage in his career, though. Renault have the potential to be a frontrunner in the next few years, while HAAS doesn't have much going for itself to be a race-winning team in that same period. It's Hulkenberg's first chance driving with a top tier teammate, which seems to be the only way for him to prove himself. Going to HAAS, he loses all this and I expect it will only mean he'll eventually dwindle out of F1. Hence, I can't see this being a very positive, or exciting, experience for him - but of course he does have to keep up a positive PR appearance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:01 pm 

What happened to the "Hülkenberg to Red Bull" rumours from a couple of weeks ago?
;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:50 am 

One more rumour - Supposedly Hulk moving to Haas in 2020 will be announced in Monza.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:52 am 

As far as I know Hulk, he was being sarcastic. He's got a good sense of humour too. On a serious note, I wonder if he would be too thrilled being Magnussen's team-mate, probably the only driver Hulk might be hating to an extent.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:36 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:

Nobody remembers that Ferrari were looking to sign him to replace Kimi but were somewhat put off by the buy out clause?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:38 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

He was the obvious choice because of the Toto connection. I don't think there was ever a consensus that he would be able to compete with Hamilton.

...but Hulkenberg would?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:08 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

...but Hulkenberg would?

I don't think so and I don't believe I've said it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:08 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

Nobody remembers that Ferrari were looking to sign him to replace Kimi but were somewhat put off by the buy out clause?

I don't.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:05 pm 

The latest rumour regarding Bottas is that Toto personally was leaning towards replacing Bottas with Ocon, but agreed to re-sign him when Hamilton and some engineers wanted to keep him on.
https://www.corriere.it/sport/formula-1 ... 0722.shtml

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:32 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

...but Hulkenberg would?

Well you chose to agree with what was said about Bottas but didn't disagree with what was said about the Hulk.

Last edited by pokerman on Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:36 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

I don't.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/12814 ... rari-block

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:35 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

...but Hulkenberg would?

Well you chose to agree with what was said about Bottas but didn't disagree with what was said about the Hulk.

Erm... the post I was replying to says Hulkenberg wouldn't provide Hamilton much of a challenge. Regardless I recommend you don't take people's silence on an issue as a tacit agreement on the subject. I replied to the bit that interested me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:56 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:

...but Hulkenberg would?

Erm... the post I was replying to says Hulkenberg wouldn't provide Hamilton much of a challenge. Regardless I recommend you don't take people's silence on an issue as a tacit agreement on the subject. I replied to the bit that interested me.

Fair enough I actually misread the post as saying that the Hulk would provide more of a challenge, my apologies.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:13 am 

Bottas confirmed for 2020.

Which is weird since I thought Toto was so much more invested in Ocon than he was Bottas, right... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:13 am 

First domino has fallen for 2020. Bottas confirmed by Mercedes!