planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:39 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
babararacucudada wrote:
I think it is a worthwhile thread. There are many things wrong with the current F1. I consider fiddling around and not tackling the real core problems is what the FIA and the owners have been doing, and so actually trying to fix F1 requires what could be considered radical ideas - yet those could actualy be sensible ideas that would result in a better F1.

eg. Stewards.
It is fairly obvious that if you hire different non-professional stewards for each Grand Prix, you are not going to get consistent interpretation of the rules.
There is also the question of interference in the stewards decisions by the owners or the FIA to try to keep the World Championship contest alive for as long into each year as they can.

What they need is an FIA that writes and interprets the rules, and has the same professional stewards employed by the FIA at each race.

Would having professional stewards who solely relied on F1 for their income be a lot more susceptible to FIA influence than the current set up? I.E do what we say or you may be out of a job rather than do what we say or we won't ask you again next year.

It would give the FIA a lot more leverage for manipulation.

A different FIA is also part of the solution.

The FIA need to be in charge of steering the sport. They have to write rules that create good race cars that suit the racing circuits and require the best drivers to make the biggest difference on who wins. They also have to write rules that keep the sport competitive and can be policed by the FIA, and they have to be responsible for the integrity of the Sport of F1.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:16 am 

babararacucudada wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
babararacucudada wrote:
I think it is a worthwhile thread. There are many things wrong with the current F1. I consider fiddling around and not tackling the real core problems is what the FIA and the owners have been doing, and so actually trying to fix F1 requires what could be considered radical ideas - yet those could actualy be sensible ideas that would result in a better F1.

eg. Stewards.
It is fairly obvious that if you hire different non-professional stewards for each Grand Prix, you are not going to get consistent interpretation of the rules.
There is also the question of interference in the stewards decisions by the owners or the FIA to try to keep the World Championship contest alive for as long into each year as they can.

What they need is an FIA that writes and interprets the rules, and has the same professional stewards employed by the FIA at each race.

Would having professional stewards who solely relied on F1 for their income be a lot more susceptible to FIA influence than the current set up? I.E do what we say or you may be out of a job rather than do what we say or we won't ask you again next year.

It would give the FIA a lot more leverage for manipulation.

A different FIA is also part of the solution.

The FIA need to be in charge of steering the sport. They have to write rules that create good race cars that suit the racing circuits and require the best drivers to make the biggest difference on who wins. They also have to write rules that keep the sport competitive and can be policed by the FIA, and they have to be responsible for the integrity of the Sport of F1.

I was wondering how that would be under Vatanen a decade ago...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:50 pm 

babararacucudada wrote:
Stewards.

All the stewards are super-licence holders. The FIA already write the rules. Whether they should be more or less open to interpretation is debatable. What we don't really know is how the drivers view the rules, or how they debate them with the FIA or within the GPDA.

I think that having the same set of stewards at every Grand Prix of a season may be undesirable to some of the best people available. It might be possible to install a permanent team of stewards at the FIA headquarters in Paris (for example), and only have one or two representatives in place at the actual race venue. They could speak to the drivers in person, although with modern video-conferencing technology, that might not even be necessary.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi