It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:41 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:07 pm 

Source - www.imgur.com

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:07 pm 

The race where literally all teams get major upgrade packages.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:09 pm 

:thumbup:

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 26th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:06 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:

Apart from Ferrari I reckon, who'll get a degrade package.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:46 am 

Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

The degrade package is running behind schedule and may not be available until qualifying

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:48 am 

Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

BTW, they're getting a new front & rear wing!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:56 am 

iano wrote:
Covalent wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:

The degrade package is running behind schedule and may not be available until qualifying

Ouch that will hurt their efforts in falling behind in the development race.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:10 pm 

Ferrari bringing an upgraded engine:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/48190078

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:55 pm 

I think this is a must win for Ferrari, if they fail to deliver here, then they can kiss their championship aspirations goodbye imho.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:36 pm 

Just checked the weather, moderate temperature all days, up to 20 C, no rain, but cloudy.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:11 am 

kleefton wrote:
I think this is a must win for Ferrari, if they fail to deliver here, then they can kiss their championship aspirations goodbye imho.

True. But if they have rushed their upgraded engine and new aero as reported, I'm a bit worried that they will crash and burn. Hopefully not

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:12 am 

Siao7 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

True. But if they have rushed their upgraded engine and new aero as reported, I'm a bit worried that they will crash and burn. Hopefully not

would be bizarre if they'd rushed through an engine whose main benefit would have been better reliability...!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:21 am 

Zoue wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

would be bizarre if they'd rushed through an engine whose main benefit would have been better reliability...!

I know!! That's why I'm a bit sceptical, normally they bring these engines around Canada, this is a couple of races too early. But hey ho, let's see.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:22 am 

Red Bull's new wooden hospitality unit named 'Holzhaus':

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:52 am 

kleefton wrote:

Unless the teams buck the trends of the last few years, if Ferrari are not ahead in the points by the 50% mark of the season, then championship bye bye. Basically they need a bad weekend for Mercedes to happen in the next few races, and capitalise to the max.

Mercedes will come on stronger in the second half, where as the wheels may come at Ferrari.

Car #36 - Blog

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:43 am 

Racing Point's new & bigger motorhome:

Source - https://scontent.fbom16-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5D673EE8

Source - https://scontent.fbom16-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5D73DA35

Source - www.imgur.com

Last edited by UnlikeUday on Thu May 09, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:08 am 

Thought that Ferrari would of held off from the upgrade, if for no other reason than to hold direct comparisons between pre-season testing and here, five races in. I guess that can still be achieved if the new PU's are not installed till Friday night, although I would imagine they will want some mileage on the new units to validate the update. Are they really that concerned they will be defeated here? Its either that in an attempt to get a foothold on the season that is fast disappearing for them, or there is a deeper rooted reliability issues that they cant wait to fix.

Either way - it juices up this weekends prospect. Is it do or die for Ferrari? If Mercedes 1-2 or even just win here, I fear for their season.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:17 am 

Engine components used upto now:

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:31 am 

M44 wrote:
Thought that Ferrari would of held off from the upgrade, if for no other reason than to hold direct comparisons between pre-season testing and here, five races in. I guess that can still be achieved if the new PU's are not installed till Friday night, although I would imagine they will want some mileage on the new units to validate the update. Are they really that concerned they will be defeated here? Its either that in an attempt to get a foothold on the season that is fast disappearing for them, or there is a deeper rooted reliability issues that they cant wait to fix.

Either way - it juices up this weekends prospect. Is it do or die for Ferrari? If Mercedes 1-2 or even just win here, I fear for their season.

Well rumour has it they have to constantly de-tune their engines because of reliability fears, so presumably they don't feel confident they will be competitive with their current PU

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:28 am 

I agree Ferrari are probably bringing this upgrade early to deal with reliability issues, and that they've been having to de-tune engines up to this point. I think their performance this weekend will be very telling as to whether or not they have a shot at either championship this year. With the points Mercedes has hauled in and their typically strong end-of-season form, Ferrari can't afford to wait any longer before taking an advantage.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:29 am 

Quote:
And there’s their power unit update, of course, which they have brought to the track two races early. The update is focused around improving performance and fuel consumption. In tandem, supplier Shell have delivered a new lubricant, also ahead of schedule.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... Sqcj8.html

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:49 am 

FP1 done:

Source - https://scontent.fbom16-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5D297711

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:27 am 

Bottas ahead of Hamilton stands out for me, although FP1 and all. Is Bottas generally doing better this season, is Lewis taking it easy or is it maybe both?

Probably both, Bottas wasn't as close as this to Lewis by this time last year. Very good inter team battle indeed, Bottas single-handedly keeping the hopes for an interesting WDC in view of Ferrari under performing!

Also, very good from Grosjean and Sainz, I was expecting better from Max and Perez (well done Gasly and Lance!)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:38 am 

Siao7 wrote:
Bottas ahead of Hamilton stands out for me, although FP1 and all. Is Bottas generally doing better this season, is Lewis taking it easy or is it maybe both?

I wouldn't read too much into it. This season Mercedes have only been using Friday sessions to check the lumbar support of the seat is comfortable enough.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:45 am 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

I wouldn't read too much into it. This season Mercedes have only been using Friday sessions to check the lumbar support of the seat is comfortable enough.

hence the bold part

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:52 am 

Siao7 wrote:

Probably both, Bottas wasn't as close as this to Lewis by this time last year. Very good inter team battle indeed, Bottas single-handedly keeping the hopes for an interesting WDC in view of Ferrari under performing!

Also, very good from Grosjean and Sainz, I was expecting better from Max and Perez (well done Gasly and Lance!)

With a fairy notable aero change this year, it could be as simple as the new regs suit Bottas' slightly smoother driving style more that Hamiltons. I would imagine the reg change has moved the cars balance slightly in the direction from positive to neutral.

Improve Bottas 0.1% and take 0.1% off Hamilton and you eliminate the gap mostly.

Car #36 - Blog

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:14 pm 

Siao7 wrote:

Maybe Bottas is getting too close for Lewis' comfort, so he's holding back a bit until qualy?

Or, maybe Bottas is just faster at the moment.

Time will tell :)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:16 pm 

Yellowbin74 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Maybe Bottas is getting too close for Lewis' comfort, so he's holding back a bit until qualy?

Hamilton has been complaining a fair amount today, so likely just not seeing his best yet

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:31 pm 

On C4, Di Resta was saying the first few tracks usually don't suit Hamilton. The 2nd half of the calendar has tracks that suit him well, hence he's in a league of his own then.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:32 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Yellowbin74 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Hamilton has been complaining a fair amount today, so likely just not seeing his best yet

FP1 is there for drivers to complain & rectify the issues found!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:46 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Yellowbin74 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

FP1 is there for drivers to complain & rectify the issues found!

yes agreed. Wasn't being critical of Hamilton, just pointing out a potential reason why he's seemingly behind at the moment so it's not necessarily a true reflection of the pecking order

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:39 pm 

so Ferrari now topping the times on the Soft tyre, but worryingly for them only 3 tenths ahead of Bottas who is on the Mediums

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:47 pm 

sure enough the Mercs comfortably fastest - are the vaunted Ferrari upgrades just not working or did Merc just bring better ones?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:49 pm 

Merc look easily quickest.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:50 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Merc look easily quickest.

Hoping for the Ferrari upgrades to work. Don't know how long can I bear to see a Mercedes 1-2 again & again!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:51 pm 

Haas has surely improved. This track suits their car as well. How well they don in the race is another matter.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:52 pm 

Haas are looking quite tasty and are mixing it with the Red Bulls. After them the rest of the midfield pack looks very tight

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:58 pm 

Merc being ahead on a Friday is usually a sign they are going to dominate a weekend. When they turn things up they are going to be more than half a sec clear I think.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:05 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Merc being ahead on a Friday is usually a sign they are going to dominate a weekend. When they turn things up they are going to be more than half a sec clear I think.

True. The only thing I can think that this won't be the case is that Ferrari are running their new engine in the lowest of low modes, but I can't see that tbh.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:06 pm 

JN23 wrote:
kleefton wrote:

True. The only thing I can think that this won't be the case is that Ferrari are running their new engine in the lowest of low modes, but I can't see that tbh.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, maybe Ferrari will finally turn things up too. But not worth holding my breath frankly!