18. Daniel Ricciardo 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
19. Kimi Raikkonen 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
20. Antonio Giovinazzi 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 127
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:56 pm 

For me,

Hamilton, Gasly & Grosjean

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:06 pm 

Max for me, easily. The Merc’s monster traction meant he could get close enough where it mattered but otherwise he put immense pressure in Lewis and the engine made the difference in the end

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:07 pm 

Didn't vote for Hamilton, despite his magnanimous driving effort, because he was publicly scolding the team and holding a speech to them, when nothing really wrong was happening, and team was right that it will go to the end. Spoiled toddler or what.

Voted for Kubica for being 15th at one moment.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:11 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:
Didn't vote for Hamilton, despite his magnanimous driving effort, because he was publicly scolding the team and holding a speech to them, when nothing really wrong was happening, and team was right that it will go to the end. Spoiled toddler or what.

Voted for Kubica for being 15th at one moment.

Hope you don't get blasted for that choice.

I voted for Leclerc.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:38 pm 

Maybe Max for making it worth watching.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:41 pm 

Though Vettel and Sainz gained some lucky positions.

I voted for Max and Kvyat as their performance was good on both days and probably had best gap to their team mates. KMag and Ricciardo did good as well but were not lucky today.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:45 pm 

Hamilton did a great job at the front.

None of the top 4 could have did anything better really. None of them put a foot wrong, and Monaco is nearly impossible to pass.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:46 pm 

I dont want to vote for anyone. It was that kinda race.

Could just say this race was a big lesson for Leclerc as to exactly what not to do in that situation. Its only his self destruction that even brought out the safety car or we would have seen a very processional race. It was largely processional after that regardless of the Lewis's rants on the radio or that one lunge that Max tried. Some random quick laps at the back of the pack but no real on track overtakes.
This is why Monaco is one of my least favourite tracks on calendar. All that precision driving and stuff does nothing for the TV viewer.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 3:46 pm 

Hamilton and Russel stood out for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:44 pm 

Hamilton, Grosjean and Kvyat. Hamilton was not on a good strategy and didn't exactly look impressive, but he made his tires last really well indeed. But man his moaning is annoying! Grosjean impressed in a similar way to Hamilton. His first stint on the softest tyre was really good. He may have had an ideal strategy, but a lot of credit has to go to him for how well he did in his first stint. Despite getting a penalty for what he did in the pit lane, he still finished in the points from starting quite a few places down due to Gasly. And only Leclerc helped him get this high. Very solid drive. Kvyat really has changed this year. I know he had an accident in China, but that was something any driver could have done and i bet it is just because of who he is that he got such a stupid penalty. Albon is looking good, but Kvyat more so to me and he's had worse luck. Kvyat looked great all weekend here but Sainz just managed to jump him. Sainz did very well too and i would consider him if there was an option to vote more than 3.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:54 pm 

No one stood out.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:00 pm 

Leclerc, Gasly and Verstappen.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:06 pm 

Nice stint by Grosjean, 50 laps on the Softs, which helped him jump a bunch of people caught behind the Kimi train. Nice stint by Lewis too on the Mediums (60+ laps I think) and Max was as consistent as ever this year pace wise but was a bit optimistic with that late lunge.

I only saw from about Lap 30-ish though so missed the reason Max got a pen so that probably excludes him from contention, I dunno.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:19 pm 

Okay I hadn't seen this but now I'm putting Sainz in the mix. Admittedly I just assumed he'd benefited from others misfortune but that's a ballsy couple of moves and his stints were very consistent. Good effort.

https://streamable.com/t177m

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:06 pm 

As far as I can recall tyres have never been much of an issue at Monaco so I don't really get what all the fuss is about. The traction on that Merc ensured that Max was never going to be in a position to get past, so I don't get all the dramatics. Sainz also spent most of the race keeping cars behind him, while Kimi did the same for a while and neither of them had the fastest car by far to help them out and we're not hearing how either of them pulled off superhuman feats.

At least Max kept it interesting for people. Pressuring a far faster car than him for so long was impressive. Nobody else really stood out as there wasn't an awful lot they could do, although Sainz did well in the early part of the race to secure a very decent finish

Lot of fuss over nothing.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:45 pm 

Nobody made any impression on me. Perhaps the two Williams drivers for sticking to it!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:48 pm 

I went Kubica. Nobody really stood out and for the first time he was looking better than Russell until he was spun.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:19 pm 

This was great from Sainz so he got a vote from me

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 9:32 pm 

Hamilton, Gasly, Sainz.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:56 pm 

I voted for best of the rest Sainz, too much moaning by Hamilton, luckily the team didn't listen to him otherwise it would have been Monaco 2015 again

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 16th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:48 am 

Hamilton, Verstappen, Sainz

Honourable mention to Ricciardo for his recovery drive after getting screwed on strategy

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:10 am 

Hamilton - no mistakes even whilst on the wrong tyre whilst max behind him locked up a few times and also caused a collision with his poorly executed move. Yes he moaned but the moaning isn’t a big deal for me. The radio is his only life line to his engineers so of course he is going to tell them things bothering him. I think people forget the drivers aren’t thinking of what the public wants to hear ad that FOM select what messages to broadcast. Hamilton didn’t put a single foot/wheel wrong yesterday. The same cannot be said for the others

Sainz - was best of the rest and I feel he sort of went under the radar for most people but he really did have a good race considering. Again I feel like he is one of the under appreciated drivers. Doesn’t get enough praise.

Kvyat - he’s had a good race and seems to be improving now he’s got a new chance. I still think Albon is the more impressive out of the duo

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:33 am 

Junglist wrote:
Hamilton - no mistakes even whilst on the wrong tyre whilst max behind him locked up a few times and also caused a collision with his poorly executed move. Yes he moaned but the moaning isn’t a big deal for me. The radio is his only life line to his engineers so of course he is going to tell them things bothering him. I think people forget the drivers aren’t thinking of what the public wants to hear ad that FOM select what messages to broadcast. Hamilton didn’t put a single foot/wheel wrong yesterday. The same cannot be said for the others

Sainz - was best of the rest and I feel he sort of went under the radar for most people but he really did have a good race considering. Again I feel like he is one of the under appreciated drivers. Doesn’t get enough praise.

Kvyat - he’s had a good race and seems to be improving now he’s got a new chance. I still think Albon is the more impressive out of the duo

Max really didn't do anything wrong either yesterday. He saw an opportunity and took it. Hamilton closed the door on him but it was worth a try as the Merc's traction meant that Max really didn't have any other options.

Agree with Sainz and arguably he was the driver of the day

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:38 am 

It's hard to pick anyone out when the race itself is a total procession where the drivers are at the mercy of wherever the pitstops throw them out in the race order. I voted Hamilton for at least trying to inject a bit of excitement by over-dramatising the situation over the team radio.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:40 am 

Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:

Max really didn't do anything wrong either yesterday. He saw an opportunity and took it. Hamilton closed the door on him but it was worth a try as the Merc's traction meant that Max really didn't have any other options.

Crashed into Bottas in the pit lane (more so teams fault) and he had maybe 2 small lock ups behind Hamilton in the closing stages of the race and then the failed attempt to overtake. He didn’t have a bad race but I just can’t vote for him over a Lewis when Lewis literally made no mistakes whilst being pressured from Max for a large proportion of the race. I think he performed better than Max for those reasons

Of course max had to try. You win some and you lose some. If anything I was impressed by Max’s ability to be patient. He’s certainly getting more experienced.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:47 am 

Junglist wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:

Crashed into Bottas in the pit lane (more so teams fault) and he had maybe 2 small lock ups behind Hamilton in the closing stages of the race and then the failed attempt to overtake. He didn’t have a bad race but I just can’t vote for him over a Lewis when Lewis literally made no mistakes whilst being pressured from Max for a large proportion of the race. I think he performed better than Max for those reasons

Of course max had to try. You win some and you lose some. If anything I was impressed by Max’s ability to be patient. He’s certainly getting more experienced.

Not sure if i agree there. The team let him out at the wrong time, but he didn't hit instantly. he had time to realise how close he was to Bottas but hit him anyway despite Bottas moving over as far away as he could, then caused Bottas to rub the wall. The 5 second penalty, 2 penalty points and that stupid last lunge IMO is enough for him not to deserve votes IMO.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:59 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Not sure if i agree there. The team let him out at the wrong time, but he didn't hit instantly. he had time to realise how close he was to Bottas but hit him anyway despite Bottas moving over as far away as he could, then caused Bottas to rub the wall. The 5 second penalty, 2 penalty points and that stupid last lunge IMO is enough for him not to deserve votes IMO.

We saw drivers getting a drive-through for less than that... But I suppose they were not considered that important for the "show" (Verstappen has never been penalized as strictly as he deserved, even in his mad-dog period)

I voted Sainz.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:35 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Junglist wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:

Nothing stupid about the late lunge. He has to at least try. He knows Hamilton has a lot more to lose. Worth putting your nose in there and see if Hamilton jumps out the way.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:27 am 

Junglist wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:

Monaco is the easiest place on the F1 calendar to defend on. Both Sainz and Kimi also had long trains behind them where they were making themselves impossible to pass but that doesn't even get a mention. Max was having to give it all precisely because of that, whereas all Hamilton had to do was ensure he kept it on the road and stomp on the loud pedal at the exit to every corner to ensure Max couldn't get a look in. You could see that no matter how close Max got on entry to a corner he never had an answer to the Merc's grunt on exit.

Bottom line is it was easier for Hamilton to defend than it was for Max to pass. The fact that Max even got halfway close to making a move was a feat in itself. Bottas, in a car that was considerably faster than the Ferrari in front of him, never had so much as a sniff.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:49 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Junglist wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:

Nothing stupid about the late lunge. He has to at least try. He knows Hamilton has a lot more to lose. Worth putting your nose in there and see if Hamilton jumps out the way.

Totally disagree here. There is something silly about risking this for just a few points when there was an equal chance of a puncture and then barley any points, if any..... He was incredibly lucky not to get or give Hamilton a puncture after that.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:53 am 

They all drove as slowly as they could.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:58 am 

Covalent wrote:
They all drove as slowly as they could.

Yeah, Gasly's fastest lap on lap 72 was nearly 3s faster than Hamilton was going on the same lap. Clearly pace wasn't the determining factor, as it usually never is at Monaco!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:59 am 

Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:

Monaco is the easiest place on the F1 calendar to defend on. Both Sainz and Kimi also had long trains behind them where they were making themselves impossible to pass but that doesn't even get a mention. Max was having to give it all precisely because of that, whereas all Hamilton had to do was ensure he kept it on the road and stomp on the loud pedal at the exit to every corner to ensure Max couldn't get a look in. You could see that no matter how close Max got on entry to a corner he never had an answer to the Merc's grunt on exit.

Bottom line is it was easier for Hamilton to defend than it was for Max to pass. The fact that Max even got halfway close to making a move was a feat in itself. Bottas, in a car that was considerably faster than the Ferrari in front of him, never had so much as a sniff.

I'm not convinced we can prove that Mercedes were far better on race day. One thing that I'm certain of though is that the red bull suffers far less at following other cars than Mercedes, perhaps explaining why Verstappen was able to keep closer to Hamilton than Bottas was to Vettel. Bottas probably just knew that an overtake wouldn't happen without too much risk so likely just hung back to look after his tyres. He closed up the gap enough near the end for Verstappen to drop back behind him.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:04 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:

I'm not convinced we can prove that Mercedes were far better on race day. One thing that I'm certain of though is that the red bull suffers far less at following other cars than Mercedes, perhaps explaining why Verstappen was able to keep closer to Hamilton than Bottas was to Vettel. Bottas probably just knew that an overtake wouldn't happen without too much risk so likely just hung back to look after his tyres. He closed up the gap enough near the end for Verstappen to drop back behind him.

I think that's making excuses for Bottas, really. The difference between the two is that Max was looking to try to force a way past and Bottas was content to sit there. In terms of ultimate pace they were all well off what the cars were capable of and none of them were being really troubled.

Regarding proof you only had to look at the race to see the enormous grunt/traction the Merc had on corner exit compared to the Red Bull. Max was all over Lewis at corner entry but Lewis just disappeared each time they had to straighten up. Max was never getting past bar some kind of miracle

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:05 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Totally disagree here. There is something silly about risking this for just a few points when there was an equal chance of a puncture and then barley any points, if any..... He was incredibly lucky not to get or give Hamilton a puncture after that.

What do the points do Verstappen or Red Bull? Neither will win a championship this year and Red Bull are nailed on 3rd. If Verstappen was a WDC candidate then yes it would be a silly risk but as he's not he has very little to lose by going for a big result. I don't understand what you think a 4th place does for either Verstappen or Red Bull?

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:04 pm 

No-one stood out for me.

Not Hamilton. At the sharp end of the grid, it's expected of you to stretch out the tires for another 20 laps on a track like Monaco and a Merc engine. I wouldn't expect any less from any top driver. If he has binned it, I'd fully blame the driver. It'd have been a DOTD performance from the likes of Giovanazzi or even LeClerk since he is still not polished, but not LH, or SV or MV, and so on.

Not Verstappen. The car in front was much slower, and Verstappen was close to him. Nothing special there either.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:37 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:

Anybody can make an attempt at a pass at Monaco if they are not too concerned about the outcome damaging their race ask Leclerc.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:44 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:

Anybody can make an attempt at a pass at Monaco if they are not too concerned about the outcome damaging their race ask Leclerc.

Because of course they are exactly the same situation :uhoh:

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:47 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

What do the points do Verstappen or Red Bull? Neither will win a championship this year and Red Bull are nailed on 3rd. If Verstappen was a WDC candidate then yes it would be a silly risk but as he's not he has very little to lose by going for a big result. I don't understand what you think a 4th place does for either Verstappen or Red Bull?

Penalties can defer to the next race in terms of grid penalties and also get you points on your license, my understanding is that Verstappen presently sits on 7 points, taking Hamilton out of the race would have put him close to 12 points and a one race ban so no it's not necessarily so that drivers have nothing to lose because they can't win the WDC although I do understand what you was saying.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:51 pm 

Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Junglist wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Because of course they are exactly the same situation :uhoh:

There was nothing special in what Verstappen did like you are trying to make out.