planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:33 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:02 am 

Monaco is still the Jewel in the crown and delivered a somewhat exciting race this year, but it's still far too processional. I watched a video on Autosport about how Monaco could be improved, and frankly, the ideas were ridiculous. The simplest solution surely is just to alter the track layout by removing the seafront chicane, isn't it? This would create ample overtaking opportunities as drivers exit the tunnel down toward Tabac. Getting it wrong into there would of course be calamitous, but that only adds to the intrigue.

How would everyone else improve the track or weekend format?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:06 am 

I'd keep it as it is. A unique challenge. I wouldn't want 20 Monaco's but it's well worth it's weight for one race a year.

I would admit that the current tyre restricted formula does not help Monaco.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:06 am 

I don't even want to imagine an F1 car going full beans from Poitier all the way into the wall at Tabac with zero runoff.

Nothing will create decent racing at Monaco. It is a procession and always will be but we can't/wont get rid of it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:08 am 

Banana Man wrote:
I don't even want to imagine an F1 car going full beans from Poitier all the way into the wall at Tabac with zero runoff.

Nothing will create decent racing at Monaco. It is a procession and always will be but we can't/wont get rid of it.

On second thoughts I think you're probably right. It's too narrow, too many close spectators and nowhere to go if it goes wrong - which it inevitably would!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:23 am 

I think they should open up turn 1, Sainte-Dévote a little more, seems too pinched in to me.

I also think Monaco should be a mandatory 2 stop race with teams having to run all 3 compounds. I know that's probably not very popular though.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:37 am 

gregs51 wrote:
Monaco is still the Jewel in the crown and delivered a somewhat exciting race this year, but it's still far too processional. I watched a video on Autosport about how Monaco could be improved, and frankly, the ideas were ridiculous. The simplest solution surely is just to alter the track layout by removing the seafront chicane, isn't it? This would create ample overtaking opportunities as drivers exit the tunnel down toward Tabac. Getting it wrong into there would of course be calamitous, but that only adds to the intrigue.

I think perhaps they would be averse to do that on safety grounds and that's why the chicane is there in the first place?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 16th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:51 am 

Lojik wrote:
I think they should open up turn 1, Sainte-Dévote a little more, seems too pinched in to me.

I also think Monaco should be a mandatory 2 stop race with teams having to run all 3 compounds. I know that's probably not very popular though.

Kimi opinioned that the actual driving experience has been lessened by opening up some of the corners, now the driver can make less of a difference, I guess that still only applies to qualifying though?

Monaco has always been like this yet I get the feeling the complaining is getting even more, the 5 minute attention span generation perhaps?

So we have to introduce multiple pit stops because randomness is everything?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 16th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:56 am 

While I'm not in favour of removing it entirely there is a lot of empty space there in the current configuration. I wonder if they could remodel the chicane, perhaps with a wider entry, to encourage overtaking.

Another thing I'm wondering is how far back do the grid slots go, it's barely more than 100 metres to T1. Could they move the grid back a bit to give a bigger run down to T1 off the start?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:11 pm 

I've usually been in the 'keep Monaco as it is' - camp but this year I actually started tilting to the other side - something needs to be done...

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:12 pm 

Ban both front and rear wings for the duration of the Monaco GP weekend :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:24 pm 

Monaco as a street circuit has quite similar characteristics to Macau. The difference being Macau has that very long straight which allows for great slipstream & late braking leading into the right hand turn after the straight. But otherwise, the entire circuit sees processional racing as well.

But it's the close proximity to the walls that makes either event so intriguing. Driver confidence & rhythm is the biggest strength of a driver there.

No doubt this year there was just 1 safety car with the weather remaining constant as well. What should change is the tyres where they should be softer in necessitating 2 pit stops.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:30 pm 

Leave it the way it is, it creates a different tension that most other race circuits don't offer. After a few dud races this decade I was starting to consider my position on Monaco, especially as cars were getting bigger, not smaller. But I was only delighted to be offered a great race this year, proving to me that F1 at Monaco still works

If I was forced to suggest a change it would be to widen some corner entries (or maybe even 90° them altogether) and tighten some corner exits, ensuring that a loss of focus means you end up in the wall

Another suggestion would be to move the date to earlier in the year. The Monte Carlo rally always gets snow and ice...

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:39 pm 

Covalent wrote:
That, or a severe restriction on wing dimensions. An article on Autosport by Giorgio Piola on how the different teams sought the necessary downforce for Monaco made me think this also. I do think that simply banning the wings altogether might impose a completely different type of tyre, but it would definitely be worth consideration.

I don't remember which reasons were given for installing the Nouvelle Chicane all those years ago, effectively converting it from a high-speed switch of lanes (almost), to a very slow speed chicane, but creating an overtaking opportunity was definitely one. That this doesn't work anymore is probably more to do with too much downforce and obscenely short braking distances, in combination with tyre degradation, than with the lay-out of the track/streets.
I don't recall what caused Prost's crash in 1982 at the high-speed chicane, but it might be worth trying out what the effect would be on following cars, if they went back to the simple lane-switch lay-out. It wouldn't even be difficult to organise, as work to remove the Grand Prix stands and armco does take a few days.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:55 pm 

I like the design of some years ago where instead of going through the tunnel - there is a spit of land with a straight to a hairpin - then a long sweeping straight and curve to the swimming pool - more grandstands and a hotel etc and more boat anchoring options - can't find it easily now - but it made a lot of sense with multiple extra passing opportunities

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:01 pm 

Fiki wrote:
Covalent wrote:
That, or a severe restriction on wing dimensions. An article on Autosport by Giorgio Piola on how the different teams sought the necessary downforce for Monaco made me think this also. I do think that simply banning the wings altogether might impose a completely different type of tyre, but it would definitely be worth consideration.

I don't remember which reasons were given for installing the Nouvelle Chicane all those years ago, effectively converting it from a high-speed switch of lanes (almost), to a very slow speed chicane, but creating an overtaking opportunity was definitely one. That this doesn't work anymore is probably more to do with too much downforce and obscenely short braking distances, in combination with tyre degradation, than with the lay-out of the track/streets.
I don't recall what caused Prost's crash in 1982 at the high-speed chicane, but it might be worth trying out what the effect would be on following cars, if they went back to the simple lane-switch lay-out. It wouldn't even be difficult to organise, as work to remove the Grand Prix stands and armco does take a few days.

Yeah you're right about the tyre aspect, they already have troubles heating up the tyres so I imagine it would be impossible with little or no wing.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:31 pm 

Reduce drastically the size of the cars, and at the same time width of the front wings (that shoud never have been flush with the tyre wall), would improve the racing, and not only at Monaco.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:31 pm 

Whilst I'd love the wings to be far more simple and therefore less effective, I always think that one of the main problems in the brakes. Every driver that gets their first test of an F1 car always comments about how incredibly powerful the brakes are. This isn't just the likes of you or me, but people who area already driving in F2 or similar and therefore drive cars with damn good brakes anyway.

It staggers me that cars can drive at well over 200mph and brake for tight chicanes in such a short distance. If the brakes were made much smaller and or a change in material was used, braking distances would increase and this would aid passing.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:45 pm 

Improving Monaco? Just get rid of Monaco!

I'm so fed up with it, it's an utter farce of a sporting event. I just cannot understand the viewpoint of people saying this year's race was in any way interesting, surely anyone who's watched the race a few times knew that Hamilton wasn't going to be overtaken.

The best idea I've heard for it is to make it a time trial event with a handful of points dished out. That way we get to watch something akin to Monaco qualifying which is actually great to watch, but without the 2 hours of tedium on the Sunday, while the world's millionaires still get an excuse to drink champagne and pose with their yachts.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:02 pm 

j man wrote:

I'm so fed up with it, it's an utter farce of a sporting event. I just cannot understand the viewpoint of people saying this year's race was in any way interesting, surely anyone who's watched the race a few times knew that Hamilton wasn't going to be overtaken.

The best idea I've heard for it is to make it a time trial event with a handful of points dished out. That way we get to watch something akin to Monaco qualifying which is actually great to watch, but without the 2 hours of tedium on the Sunday, while the world's millionaires still get an excuse to drink champagne and pose with their yachts.

When race leaders are banging wheels with 3 laps to go then it goes into the "interesting" column. Unlike most races this year

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:05 pm 

mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:

When race leaders are banging wheels with 3 laps to go then it goes into the "interesting" column. Unlike most races this year

Due to a tactical mess by Mercedes, not because the circuit is good. Had Lewis had the correct tyres fitted, it would have been even more of a procession.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:14 pm 

mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:

At any other venue I'd agree with you, but context is important here. The wheel banging only happened because the track layout didn't give Verstappen any opportunity to make a proper overtake attempt. This wasn't the two leaders tussling side by side for the win, it was the driver in second place sticking in a no-hope passing attempt because he'd run out of options.

For me, wondering whether Verstappen is going to wipe out the race leader in frustration at the lack passing opportunities is not the hallmark of a great motor race.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:38 pm 

gregs51 wrote:

Honestly people in this thread will all come up with reasons why they can't do that and they'll tell you that the real answer is more mandatory stops or whatever but the bottom line is that Monaco has only one simply problem and that is the fact that there is not even one decent overtaking opportunity on the entire circuit. I think you've got it absolutely right and it's something I've been saying for years but everyone seems to know better as we watch procession after procession through various changes to the tires, refueling and other regulations (none of which actually addressed the simple problem). Could things get a bit dodgy down there if you have a longer run into Tabac? Yes, of course they could but these drivers are supposed to be the best in the world and I think that they will be just fine. These cars are extremely safe nowadays and at some point, all the worrying becomes a bit silly.

I say get rid of the chicane and create a genuine overtaking opportunity at Monaco. It will be a unique overtaking opportunity which maintains Monaco's trademark risk vs reward subtext. Try it FFS!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:55 am 

Make the cars shorter!! can you believe that they are a full 4 feet longer than Sennas Mc? Longer than a Ford F150 full size truck!!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:13 am 

I was in Monte Carlo last year and looked at the track with this in mind.

There is space, with creative engineering, to re-profile at least 1 section between the tunnel and Rascasse.

Widening the track at the existing chicane, reprofiling the swimming pool chicane or changing the shape of Rascasse were all possible IMO.

There was limited scope on the other half of the track, although there is room at Portier to reprofile with a view to making cars closer heading to the chicane.

I like Monaco. I wouldn't want 20 of them, but it is the only race where Saturday is king, and the least forgiving race with mistakes. It gives unique driving and strategic challenges.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:36 am 

I'm probably in the minority here when I say I like Monaco & I enjoyed the race on the weekend.

To me it showed you don't need overtaking to have a gripping race. We had a great qualifying, a short but entertaining drive by Leclerc, a pit lane incident & a controversial driver penalty that had a bearing on the race outcome, we didn't know if Hamilton's tyres were going to last or if Verstappen was going to risk a dive bomb in the hope of getting back that 5 sec gap & winning the race right up until the last lap.

Monaco's different & requires a different mindset & strategic approach. That's what I like about it. It's the one race of the season that offers the biggest change from the norm. Now I'd hate to have 21 of them, but then again i'd hate to have 21 of any track.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 321 trophies available, 23 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:47 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
I'm probably in the minority here when I say I like Monaco & I enjoyed the race on the weekend.

To me it showed you don't need overtaking to have a gripping race. We had a great qualifying, a short but entertaining drive by Leclerc, a pit lane incident & a controversial driver penalty that had a bearing on the race outcome, we didn't know if Hamilton's tyres were going to last or if Verstappen was going to risk a dive bomb in the hope of getting back that 5 sec gap & winning the race right up until the last lap.

Monaco's different & requires a different mindset & strategic approach. That's what I like about it. It's the one race of the season that offers the biggest change from the norm. Now I'd hate to have 21 of them, but then again i'd hate to have 21 of any track.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:29 am 

Asphalt_World wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:

Due to a tactical mess by Mercedes, not because the circuit is good. Had Lewis had the correct tyres fitted, it would have been even more of a procession.

That's just Formula 1. When the best team/driver have gotten something wrong, the others are in with a shout. When they get everything right the race is over on Saturday. That's not just true for Monaco, that's every race track

If races being spiced up due to tactical messes don't count as good races then... why do you watch this sport?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:44 am 

j man wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:

At any other venue I'd agree with you, but context is important here. The wheel banging only happened because the track layout didn't give Verstappen any opportunity to make a proper overtake attempt. This wasn't the two leaders tussling side by side for the win, it was the driver in second place sticking in a no-hope passing attempt because he'd run out of options.

For me, wondering whether Verstappen is going to wipe out the race leader in frustration at the lack passing opportunities is not the hallmark of a great motor race.

But the nature of the track is what leads to it happening in the first place! How do people keep missing that? Without the barriers we don't get the Leclerc do or die scenario, we don't get the strategy fumble, we don't get Hamilton trying to lap slower than the backmarkers and we don't get the Verstappen will he/won't he. Without any of that we just get Spain again or Australia again or China again. Why do you want another boring race the same as has been consistently delivered this year?

This race was different to those. And variety is a good thing. It's healthy for the sport. The idea that someone would clap their hands after Verstappen breezes by Hamilton on a mile-long mile-wide DRS-activated straight and prefer that to the tension created on Sunday, and the ultimate banging of wheels, makes me sad. The former is not a race, the latter is

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:54 am 

mcdo wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:

That's just Formula 1. When the best team/driver have gotten something wrong, the others are in with a shout. When they get everything right the race is over on Saturday. That's not just true for Monaco, that's every race track

If races being spiced up due to tactical messes don't count as good races then... why do you watch this sport?

Yes, I can't think of a great race where something going wrong for someone hasn't been at least partially a catalyst.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:17 am 

mcdo wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:

When did I say that I didn't enjoy the fact that the tactical mess upped the enjoyment of the race?

This thread is about ideas to improve the circuit, a circuit that even the drivers and others within the sport admit would never exist if it had been created 50 years ago. It's only in the sport because of money and tradition.

If we're talking about the relative qualities of circuits, using tactical mistakes as a way to praise a circuit is wrong. That's why I pointed it out.

Baku is where street circuits should look. Damn tight and twisty in places meaning 1 mistake and you're out, but combined with a long fast straight. It's a 100 times better than Monaco in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:19 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
mcdo wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
mcdo wrote:
j man wrote:

Yes, I can't think of a great race where something going wrong for someone hasn't been at least partially a catalyst.

But that's got nothing to do with the basic understanding of a circuit being good for F1 cars or not. A wet race is normally brilliant but that's not used as a reason why a particular circuit is fundamentally good or not.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:33 am 

I want a variety of tracks that give a unique characteristic, be it fast, bumpy, tight, big braking, etc - as well as those that give more of a technical "bit of everything" type challenges which most new Tilke style circuits seem to favour. The modern tracks all share quite similar characteristics and in terms of set up, require tweeks rather than changes from track to track.

One thing that detracts from Monaco is the cars have became easier and more predictable to drive and drivers far better prepared in mental/physical fitness. During a race it seems far less likely for somebody to stack it into the barrier - especially a front runner. It takes that suspense away.

My memory escapes me, but when was the last time a front runner - or even one of the top drivers - stack it at during the race in an accident that didn't involve contact? I know Max has but he is the only one I can think of.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:37 am 

The thing is, I know passing is difficult in F1 at a lot of circuits, but for Lewis to be able to lap 2 or more seconds off the pace for the majority of the race, safe in the knowledge that it's highly unlikely that anyone will pass him, that should highlight a significant problem to all.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:41 am 

Asphalt_World wrote:
But that's got nothing to do with the basic understanding of a circuit being good for F1 cars or not. A wet race is normally brilliant but that's not used as a reason why a particular circuit is fundamentally good or not.

I would argue that a circuit that highlights and punishes errors is good for F1 cars. Or at least it's good to have once a year at least.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:42 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

I would argue that a circuit that highlights and punishes errors is good for F1 cars. Or at least it's good to have once a year at least.

Like Baku, perhaps.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:42 am 

Asphalt_World wrote:
The thing is, I know passing is difficult in F1 at a lot of circuits, but for Lewis to be able to lap 2 or more seconds off the pace for the majority of the race, safe in the knowledge that it's highly unlikely that anyone will pass him, that should highlight a significant problem to all.

I don't think it's a problem. The race had way more tension that it would have if Verstappen had been able to pass in 5 laps.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:43 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

I don't think it's a problem. The race had way more tension that it would have if Verstappen had been able to pass in 5 laps.

For me it had one bit of tension. The failed pass attempt. 1 single attempt in goodness knows how many laps, with a lead car driving massively off the pace and the car behind being well on the pace. Come on!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:49 am 

Asphalt_World wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

For me it had one bit of tension. The failed pass attempt. 1 single attempt in goodness knows how many laps, with a lead car driving massively off the pace and the car behind being well on the pace. Come on!

The tension lasted for about 45 minutes of having Verstappen wedged up Lewis' gearbox knowing he was going to have a go at him at some point.

I guess different people enjoy different things but I don't understand why it would have been more exciting to see Verstappen pass earlier and watch him waltz off into the sunset.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:53 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

The tension lasted for about 45 minutes of having Verstappen wedged up Lewis' gearbox knowing he was going to have a go at him at some point.

I guess different people enjoy different things but I don't understand why it would have been more exciting to see Verstappen pass earlier and watch him waltz off into the sunset.

I agree that the number of laps, where we all wondered if a pass would happen, were good, but as mentioned earlier, this does not make the track good. This situation only occurred because of a major blunder by Mercedes. Imagine that Lewis was on the correct tyres. How would the race have panned out then? I'm guessing he would have driven off and there'd have been no tension at all.

That's why I dislike the circuit. Whilst it's arguably the best for qualifying due to the risk involved in giving it 100%, it's a very different story on Sunday.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:06 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

I agree that the number of laps, where we all wondered if a pass would happen, were good, but as mentioned earlier, this does not make the track good. This situation only occurred because of a major blunder by Mercedes. Imagine that Lewis was on the correct tyres. How would the race have panned out then? I'm guessing he would have driven off and there'd have been no tension at all.

That's why I dislike the circuit. Whilst it's arguably the best for qualifying due to the risk involved in giving it 100%, it's a very different story on Sunday.

I would say it's the track that induces blunders though? I think we have seen a decent share of good Monaco GPs compared to most other tracks. I will admit that the current era of tyre dominance doesn't help Monaco.