Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:47 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
This just shows how lucky Hamilton was in Spain that Mercedes were extremely strong. If he had a poor run like he did there with other teams significantly closer, the position difference would have been like Bottas today. The gap between the 2 in these 2 sessions was only 0.021 different. But Hamilton still got 2nd in Spain and because of how close the other teams were this time, Bottas was 6th. As silly as it sounds, Bottas didn't really do any worse than Hamilton did in Spain, he just messed up at a bad time to do so.

But I really don't understand teams decisions sometimes. Like Leclerc not getting sent back out in Monaco, since Bottas hadn't done a good run, why didn't they send him out instantly. It won't have been as good as getting a good run to start with and they getting another. But why risk 1 run in bad traffic rather than 1 with virtually nobody on track and then maybe 1 more after that. He won't have beaten Hamilton or Vettel, but 3rd would have been pretty easy IMO given Leclerc's gap to Vettel.

If Ferrari get things right this race, I think Vettel will win this. I don't see it being easy for Bottas to get past Leclerc (unless he messes up or underperforms), but I think Bottas will quite easily get past Gasly and Ricciardo. I feel 3rd is the best he can hope for now. What may make Bottas feel a bit better is that it is going to be harder for Hamilton to win. So that will mean he will still be closer to Hamilton in the championship if he finishes 4th and Hamilton 2nd compared to 1st and 2nd. Even if they finish with either of these results, Bottas will still be within a race win amount of points of Hamilton which still isn't bad. If reliability goes against Hamilton at a race Mercedes are strongest like it did in Spain 2017 for Bottas, then maybe Bottas does have a chance to remain close to Hamilton for a while longer.
But this is the first time this season it looked like he struggled a bit under pressure. Hopefully that won't continue.

I think you might want to re-think that actually. If they sent him right back out he would have run into traffic on his hot lap and not his warm up lap. Byt he time he started his hot lap there would be cars coming out of the pits on their out laps so that wouldn't have worked. Remember Q3 is very short!

Could they not have managed to get him out at the front of the queue though?

Funny thing is had that been Ferrari we wont have heard the last of the one car team nonsense and Ferrari trying to favour Vettel by ignoring Leclerc.

Bottas' mistakes in qualifying were down to him being unfavoured, that's some out there thinking.

Exactly, when it comes to Ferrari folks are never ready to be rationale or accept it was a mistake.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:00 pm 

Todd wrote:
pokerman wrote:
sandman1347 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
First part sounds like conspiracy nonsense to me. As for this season Ricciardo has done a good job given the change in teams and I absolutely consider him one of the best put there but Verstappen has been supreme, easily the driver of the season so far for me, it's hard to see how Ricciardo could do any better.

Yeah Verstappen was clearly getting the better of Ricciardo and I feel that's part of the reason why Ricciardo left Red Bull, it seems to be starting to work out for him if some think by getting the better of the Hulk then surely he would have turned things around against Verstappen.

To be fair; Daniel did not have a chance last season. He suffered mechanical failures in half of the race weekends.

He would have finished closer but the reality is that 80% of the time he was running behind Verstappen.

Missing running time has its costs. What you're saying is exactly as true as saying Gasly was ahead of Verstappen in almost every session this weekend. Verstappen isn't without talent, but he's never won a race he had no business winning and he's lost at least one due to his own failings. Riccardo didn't even lose every one where his car broke.

I'm talking about the race itself not practice sessions, I'm not sure what you are referencing in respect to missing running time?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 26th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:02 pm 

Rockie wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Rockie wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Could they not have managed to get him out at the front of the queue though?

Funny thing is had that been Ferrari we wont have heard the last of the one car team nonsense and Ferrari trying to favour Vettel by ignoring Leclerc.

Bottas' mistakes in qualifying were down to him being unfavoured, that's some out there thinking.

Exactly, when it comes to Ferrari folks are never ready to be rationale or accept it was a mistake.

What in particular are you referring to?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 26th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:39 pm 

Todd wrote:
There are any number of people who need to revisit the time Riccardo and Verstappen spent as teammates. Riccardo had the measure of Verstappen until RedBull picked wrong and started giving Riccardo the brown-bottle treatment to make Verstappen into more than he is. This season would have been thrice as exciting if Riccardo had been in Verstappen's car so far.

Let me guess, Australian?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)